2022 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

1 hour ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Yeah. He’s not good enough for the Dodgers or Astros rotation unless things go wrong in the playoffs. He’s probably starting a game for Cleveland and Seattle and Toronto in a best of 7 but not in a best of 5. 
but- he’s not a guy they are going to pencil in for 6 innings- it’s a be ready for the bullpen, I think. 

you have to get through 162 games to make the playoffs. he's a #4 in a 5 or 6 man rotation 

I was listening to a podcast today that referenced the twitter account @ScoringChanges, which I had never heard of.  They were talking about the scoring on Grisham's bunt in the 9th inning of the NLCS clincher being changed to not give him a sacrifice.

Anyway, that prompted me to look at that account and find this, from our Game 2 vs Seattle:

So now I'm giving myself a pat on the back for calling that in real time.  

Edited by WBT
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, tx 3 putt said:

i hope it happens !

I also hope Altuve gets to be MVP, but I disagree with the premise.

The Astros are at their best when Altuve is playing well. He really is the heart and soul of this team. However, the Astros don't depend on him playing well in order to win. They just proved that by sweeping the Mariners and the Yankees with Altuve having an all-time level cold streak.

If Altuve is MVP, I have a feeling the Astros don't just win the WS but completely dominate the Phillies and cap off an epic postseason run.

• Hook 'Em 7

2 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

you have to get through 162 games to make the playoffs. he's a #4 in a 5 or 6 man rotation 

For a good playoff team?  Maybe a 4 or maybe a 5. If JV resigns with us he’s probably #7. He’s not in the dodgers top 5. He’s in everyone else’s top 5 in the league for sure. Plenty of places he’d be a 3     

9 hours ago, UTexasFight said:

This. 
Was just telling a buddy something similar today…

That we all need to step back and meditate for 6 hours today on “6 ALCS’ in 6 years”

That is so easy to take for granted  ow and the comedown from that high whenever it happens is going to be brutal (hopefully another 6 years from now at least).

I'm old and full of Htown sports heartbreak (don't even get me started on Mike Renfro or  Lorenzo Charles) so I don't EVER take this insanely unthinkable run of success for granted because it's just not something that happens to Houston sports fans. I may be in the minority here but I'm not going to be terribly sad/disappointed if the 2022 Stros don't win the World Series because, in my world, they've already proven that this generation of Astros teams has become a baseball dynasty and the envy of MLB. 

They can lose the WS and it won't change my opinion at all because the totality of their success ( 4 AL pennants in 6 years, 4 100+ win seasons in 6 years, 6-0 in divisional series) says a helluva a lot more than one World Series in 2022. 

Stros baby! 

That said, lesssssfuckingoooooo and win this bitch and shove it up the asses of all the haters. 

Edited by Gourmand
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

On 4/5/2022 at 11:44 PM, Shaggy3.0 said:

In on page 1.  Looking forward to a successful year.

I revisited the first few pages in the thread.  Spread rep for all the positive vibes for those who had faith from the beginning.

My very first self-quote. No bold prediction.  But I knew this would be another good year.

Let's close the fucking deal.

Stros in 6.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, MAROON said:

Yep.  Crane is the defacto GM.  Click is the face of the job

21 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

No he’s not. 

21 hours ago, Gourmand said:

Agreed, that is a weird take.

Crane is an active owner but he's not Jerry Jones jfc. 

@MAROON is actually not far off. My impeccable source says Click did not want to sign Brantley or Gurriel and Crane told him “we have money, this isn’t Tampa.” I followed up with that exact question - so if Click didn’t want them and we signed them, was that essentially Crane’s unilateral decision?”  Yep. 

My take from my insider conversations is that Click won’t be back. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Planet Houston said:

@MAROON is actually not far off. My impeccable source says Click did not want to sign Brantley or Gurriel and Crane told him “we have money, this isn’t Tampa.” I followed up with that exact question - so if Click didn’t want them and we signed them, was that essentially Crane’s unilateral decision?”  Yep. 

My take from my insider conversations is that Click won’t be back. 

I don't think he'll be back.  Winning a WS or not this year, it seems Crane is willing to open the wallet when it's appropriate and Click doesn't want to (between what you posted and the trade deadline rumors that Crane wanted a big splash and Click wasn't aggressive enough/wouldn't commit the money that Crane was willing to pay)

I started writing a haiku and drinking Lonestar beer every game day in the playoffs. The haiku was on purpose but the Lonestar was just by chance but the results have been perfection. Since you don’t fuck with a winning streak it’s time for game 1 haiku and the Lonestar is on ice. I’m ready.

Phillies first pitcher 
Pleads Nola-contendere
Astros kick their ass 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Js1 said:

I don't think he'll be back.  Winning a WS or not this year, it seems Crane is willing to open the wallet when it's appropriate and Click doesn't want to (between what you posted and the trade deadline rumors that Crane wanted a big splash and Click wasn't aggressive enough/wouldn't commit the money that Crane was willing to pay)

He'll land on his feet somewhere with a likely raise.  I will always appreciate him for keeping the train running post-Luhnow.  Best of luck to him...in the NL.

14 minutes ago, Texas St. Armadillos said:

He'll land on his feet somewhere with a likely raise.  I will always appreciate him for keeping the train running post-Luhnow.  Best of luck to him...in the NL.

Hell send him to the LA or NY or Sea. He’s decent. He’s competent. He isn’t anyone to be feared or worried about and Stearns would be a big step up. 

14 minutes ago, Planet Houston said:

It’s pretty bizarre in a vacuum, especially if we win it all. Click was very instrumental in this bullpen with his moves, so you’d think that he and Crane could find a way to evolve and work together long-term. 

*Co-GMs, one doing the offense and Click doing the pitching lol

17 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

philies radio guy just told 790, philies will probably throw a bp game for #4. they hope to win 4 games with nola and wheeler, it doesn't matter which 4 games.

We should push Nola's shit in today and really fuck up their plan. 

14 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

i hope it happens !

I agree with this. Not because I think we need Altuve to have MVP numbers to win it, but because I think he started to find his swing in games 3 and 4 of the ALCS and will give us a big moment or two. 

17 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

philies radio guy just told 790, philies will probably throw a bp game for #4. they hope to win 4 games with nola and wheeler, it doesn't matter which 4 games.

That’s a bold strategy seeing as they’ll be pitching against the 2022 Cy Young winner and probable #3 in the voting. Let see how that works out for them. 

Just now, TonyTexas said:

That’s a bold strategy seeing as they’ll be pitching against the 2022 Cy Young winner and probable #3 in the voting. Let see how that works out for them. 

Hey, if they want to throw a bp game down 3-0 in the series, so be it. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1