2022 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

On 11/9/2022 at 12:21 PM, tx 3 putt said:

click is getting screwed over, yankees are probably going to extend cashman 5 years / $25mil and he's been a pure failure 

Stearns or Sig would be an upgrade. Click would have let Brantley walk until Crane stepped in. Same thing with Verlander. Thankfully, we have an owner who meddles in a good way. I love that Crane is hellbent on winning and is not sentimental like fans are. He wants killers on his team.

• Hook 'Em 1

What a magical season this was.. It won't be forgotten as I'll be telling stories for decades to come about no hitters, immaculate innings, Yor-bombs, The Catch, walkoffs, and most importantly REDEMPTION. 

See, 2017 was special because we finally won a WS. It was the first one for the Astros and any long time fan spent most of their life with a championship as something that other teams get to play for. Not us. Then that ended in LA. Next came the bullshit scandal following a horrific letdown in 2019. Fans and media ganged up and ran their mouths, ran their articles, and books.. Astros fans knew the truth and wanted redemption. Fell short in 2021 to a hot Braves team, then accomplished something epic in 2022. This championship was so damn gratifying because of the shit we went through post scandal. 

Johnny Cash "God's gonna cut you down" is perfect for this team this season. 

"You can run on for a long time" - all the fucks that wouldn't stop running their mouths about cheating

"god" is the heart, talent, skill, and dedication of the players and fans... sooner or later we were going to cut em down. 

Not sorry for the long post. Go Stros

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

Bumping this thread just to give another rec for this limited edition print. 

https://www.mlbshop.com/houston-astros/houston-astros-2022-world-series-champions-24-x-36-limited-edition-minimalist-fine-art-print/t-36779752+p-7257568652040+z-9-1119291328?_ref=p-DLP:m-GRID:i-r18c1:po-55

Mine arrived yesterday and when I opened it I was blown away by the print quality and color. It's fucking beautiful y'all. 

If you have an Astros fan in your family or circle of friends, a framed version of this would make for an excellent and memorable holiday gift. Would buy again 10/10.

finished this one up and oh what a pleasure to color green the last WS cell on the Astros line. 

I didn't remember the abyss of 2011-2013, did they get any good draft picks from that?  From the depths to the top of the mountain in a decade.  What a spectacular ride, what  fine tuned organization! 

fin.JPG.ceaf9b06a1dfcdf7ba9f94ab9eac4783.JPG

-- respect to the Cardinals for continued excellence and to the Giants for their 5 year run.  Dodgers/Braves I despise but can't overlook their tremendous runs either. 

IMO Oz is the most important non-player in Astros history. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Yes. It was a reasonable buying out of 2 FA years,  probably for something like 25 or 30 a year. 

Yeah, so it's not really 19 million a year, it's more like he got a 4 year extension worth 120m, but it's stretched over 6 years to reduce his total cap hit for the length of the deal. It's a good idea, but it's not like they got Yordan for real cheap or he sold himself short. 30m AAV on a 4 year deal is pretty standard for a top tier DH. 

12 hours ago, Dutchrudder said:

Yeah, so it's not really 19 million a year, it's more like he got a 4 year extension worth 120m, but it's stretched over 6 years to reduce his total cap hit for the length of the deal. It's a good idea, but it's not like they got Yordan for real cheap or he sold himself short. 30m AAV on a 4 year deal is pretty standard for a top tier DH. 

Yordan’s deal was 6/$115m, buying out 3 arb years. Using Judge arb years as a template, Yordan would get about $38M for those years. That means the Astros are paying about $77M for 3 free agent years.