2022 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

Also, I forgot that Castro wasn't on the team in 2017. Good for that dude to finally get his ring and ride off into retirement. He toiled through the absolute worst of the rebuilding years and it's fitting that he got to come back for the payoff.

We'll always appreciate his go-ahead single in the ALCS last year. Oh, and what his most likely the final AB of his career was his only HR this year and helped us sweep the Mets.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

SIAP

Stark had a mostly bullshit article about WHAT DOES THIS MEAN AFTER THE SIGN STEALING?!?!? but it had some good historical perspective:

On that note, let’s start with the Astros’ record over these last six seasons. It’s quite a sight.

W-L: 541-329
Win percentage: .622
Games over .500: 215
Run differential: +1,167
World Series won: 2
World Series appearances: 4
ALCS appearances: 6

Whew. OK then. Let’s digest this, piece by piece.

Two titles and a .622 win pct.? That’s greatness

I spent hours Saturday afternoon looking into every team in history that did what these Astros have now done — win multiple World Series and have a winning percentage that good over six seasons. What better way to spend a Saturday afternoon, right? (Don’t answer that!)

Before we get to them, it might be more impressive to mention some of the teams that aren’t on the list.

• The Yankees of 1996-2003? Not on it.

• The Big Red Machine? Nope. Not on it.

• The Orioles of the late 1960s/early ’70s, the A’s of the ’70s, the Red Sox of the 2000s, the Giants of the 2010s? Sorry. Not there, either.

Sooo … do we have your attention yet? To find the last team to do what the 2017-22 Astros have done, you have to go back more than six decades.

The last team with multiple titles and a .622 win percentage or better over any six-year span? How about the Mantle/Berra/Ford Yankees … of 1953-58. Unreal.

After that, you run into all sorts of Yankees behemoths of the 1920s, ’30s and ’40s. So let’s not bother even listing them. But here come all the non-Yankees teams in history to do that — all four of them!

Stan Musial’s 1941-46 Cardinals — 3 titles, .655*

Jimmie Foxx’s 1927-32 A’s — 2 titles, .650*

Home Run Baker’s 1909-14 A’s — 3 titles, .640

The Tinker/Evers/Chance 1905-10 Cubs — 3 titles, .678*

(*-overlapping spans from other years not included)

So that … is … it. For the entire World Series era. No other teams from the division-play era (1969-present). No other teams from the expansion era (1961-present). Only two other non-Yankees from the live-ball era (1920-present). Plus two more from the dead-ball era.

And the 2022 Astros. Wow.

Four World Series in six years

Now here’s another list I’ve been following throughout this whole postseason. It’s the short list of teams that made it to four World Series in six years and won multiple titles.

Once again, there are way too many Yankees juggernauts to list — this time including the late-’90s Yankees and the Yankees of 1976-81. But here come the non-Yankees teams. There aren’t many, but some of them will look familiar.

Brooks Robinson’s 1966-71 Orioles — 4 World Series, 2 titles

Walker Cooper’s 1942-46 Cardinals — 4 World Series, 3 titles

Frankie Frisch’s 1921-24 Giants — 4 World Series (in a row), 2 titles

Stuffy McInnis’ 1910-15 A’s — 4 World Series, 3 titles

Wildfire Schulte’s 1906-10 Cubs — 4 World Series, 2 titles

So once again, that’s one other non-Yankees team from the expansion era, a total of three other teams from the live-ball era, and the usual two suspects from the dead-ball era. This is rarefied company.

Lost one World Series, got back and won the next

The Astros look on as the Braves celebrate after winning the 2021 World Series. (Troy Taormina / USA Today)

It was just last November, in their very own ballpark, that the 2021 Astros had to sit uncomfortably in the home dugout and watch the Braves climb that same podium in the outfield where they got to revel in the lovefest Saturday night. A year later, it was their turn. And that, too, is something you don’t see much — not in the expansion era, with so many more teams than, say, the 1934-35 Tigers had to fend off.

So here’s every team in the expansion era that lost a World Series one year but returned and won the next one. Yet again, it won’t take long to recite this roll call:

Eric Hosmer’s 2014-15 Royals

Dave Stewart’s 1988-89 A’s

Reggie Jackson’s 1976-77 Yankees

Jim Palmer’s 1969-70 Orioles

Roger Maris’ 1960-61 Yankees

So that’s one other team from the last three decades, then basically one each from the 1980s, ’70s and ’60s, plus that 1960-61 Yankees team that spanned the expansion and pre-expansion era. Pretty storied group.

Six straight trips to the LCS

You might have read elsewhere that the Astros’ six consecutive trips to the League Championship Series was not a record, because the Braves of the ’90s got there eight times in a row. Yeah, that’s true, technically. But …

The Braves got to three of those NLCS in the pre-Wild Card era, when the playoffs still started with the LCS. But for the past 28 seasons, the playoffs have had at least three rounds — the Division Series for the first 17, then a Wild Card Game or Wild Card Series for the last 11.

So in this era, you had to earn your way there. OK, how many other teams in that era kept on barging into the LCS every October for at least six years in succession? You know the answer. It’s none.

• Hook 'Em 1

I wasn't able to post much last night but I just want to say again what a great run this has been.  I love posting and reading the offseason and season threads all year...except during the playoffs when the emotional dumbass and bandwagon takes come out. 

Anyway, on to the next one!  But also don't forget that these are the good old days.  When this window closes the Astros almost certainly have another run this good in any of our lifetimes.

• Hook 'Em 2

Pretty incredible that in the last 3 real seasons (Dodgers/2020 is the bogus one to me, those bitches), they made it to the World Series: 

2019 180 games, won 117

2021 178 games, won 104

2022 175 games, won 117

These guys have played so many games, and their conditioning, dedication, and mental toughness is just unbelievable.  So many deep playoff runs in a row is incredible.

• Hook 'Em 6

2 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Three key takeaways:

1. Brantley staying involved despite his injury seems to have paid dividends; 2. Click had a deal to send Urquidy for Contreras, but Crane and Dusty nixed it; and 3. We would have also been without Bregman, Altuve, and Yuli if we had to play a game 7. 

Interesting Dusty wanted Urquidy over Contreras and Crane took his side.

Urquidy, with 3 years of team control, is a lot to give up for a part-time rental catcher. Dusty was not going to give him the everyday job. 

Get this jaw-dropping quote from Baker: “Much as I like Willson Contreras, Urquidy was one of our best pitchers then,” Baker said. “I needed a guy that wasn’t going to complain about not playing every day. And this is his [free agent] year. See, that’s tough. When you trade for a player in his [free agent] year. Everybody’s about numbers and stuff, and I can’t blame them, no doubt. But that’s not what we needed.”

• Hook 'Em 3

So I keep watching the Yordan blast over and over.  A few things.

1.  You could tell he put just a little extra in that one to put a stamp on the whole thing.  A nice “F all y’all.”

2.  In that brief moment, one shot ripped the heart out of a lot of haters, and a whole state.  And made a lot of Texans very very happy.  

3.  Is that the most important hit in the Astros existence?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Rip76 said:

1.  You could tell he put just a little extra in that one to put a stamp on the whole thing.  A nice “F all y’all.”

2.  In that brief moment, one shot ripped the heart out of a lot of haters, and a whole state.  And made a lot of Texans very very happy.  

It was the more important hit to me. I jumped up and down like my three year old once I realized it was going over the batter’s eye. 

• Haha 1

2017 WS vs 2022 WS

Runs scored 34 22

Runs allowed 34 18

HR hit 15 5

HR allowed 10 8

2017 went 7 games and 2022 only 6.  The balls were also much more juiced in 2017. 

Interesting that we were outhomered by 3 this time and still won.  And 2 of our 5 homers were by Tucker in a losing effort in Game 1.

• Like 1

I think after watching all the post game stuff my favorite is still with Kate Upton getting interviewed.  She was obviously sauced, but when Big Papi asked her if she thinks Verlander should retire and stay home with the family.  She was like wtf?  He loves the game, he's a great father, and I support whatever the hell he does.  Then the 2nd interview they ask her again and she said, "i'm not gonna say anything on what he thinks because that's his opinion, but from my opinion, who gives a fuck.  He's a fucking legend"

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Chapo said:

I'm bringing my toddlers to the parade?  Any tips on parking and where to set up shop? 

Fg6MCVVWIAE5T_4?format=jpg&name=medium

metro rail is free

Taking rideshares to several dropoff and pickup spots around downtown is another option. There will be several points around town to get dropped off and picked up from:

Root Square Memorial Park at 1400 Clay St.
Allen’s Landing at 1019 Commerce St.
Eleanor Tinsley Park parking lanes at 3600 Allen Parkway
Co-Cathedral of the Sacred Heart at 1111 St. Joseph Parkway\\

visitors should not park on Smith, Louisiana or Bagby near the start point of the parade starting at 4 a.m.

8 minutes ago, Scraps said:

I think this route will be better than the 2017 parade route was.

that was a horrible route ...

the parade is set to kick off at the intersection of Smith and Lamar, continuing north on Smith before turning east on Walker, looping south on Milam before turning around by going west on Pease, and then turning north on Smith again and ending where it began back on Lamar.

It was the anti-Pujols/Lidge HR. Same kind of instantaneous no-doubt exit velocity. But for good, not evil.
  • Hook 'Em 4

3 hours ago, Bender Bending Rodriguez said:

Watching the replay, bottom 9th… I remember being a little nervous right after Realmuto’s one out single. I didn’t realize that Pressly got the next two outs on two pitches. Both harmless pop ups. Talk about shutting the fuckin door. 

They had given up, they both just swung at the first pitch

7 hours ago, Bender Bending Rodriguez said:

Watching the replay, bottom 9th… I remember being a little nervous right after Realmuto’s one out single. I didn’t realize that Pressly got the next two outs on two pitches. Both harmless pop ups. Talk about shutting the fuckin door. 

To me, going into the series Schwarber and Harper were the frightening bats on their roster. Each had his moments, but they were scant. For the former to end the eighth with a  pitcher-level foul bunt attempt and the latter to slice a weak flyout on the first pitch he saw after the single showed just how dominated their whole lineup was. In retrospect, Realmuto was the main hitter I underestimated. 

• Like 1