2022 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

20 minutes ago, runthebone said:

Yeah, but I was at a game this year and saw him make the third out at third base down 7.

That kind of baserunning belongs on the Astros.

Now that you mention it, I don’t recall too many base running blunders so far this season.  

1 hour ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Nope, not a FA after this year. He's a FA after 2024 so 2.5 years.  

Someone up thread acted like I was offering the old Tony Kemp for Mike Trout deal.  You are saying it's way too much.  You don't get a guy like that without it hurting.  He's already turned down 350 million from Washington- you literally are trading for him for the next 2.5 years with zero chance of re-signing him as a FA, and with him in arbitration at 17 million this year that's about 7 million the balance of this year and about 45 million combined the next two year.   7 of the 35 in free space this year and 20 and 25 million the next year shouldn't have shit to do with stopping us from signing Ted and Yordan if we were so inclined (I'm not sure that we are- I've seen no indication as such to this point).  That's why the prospect capital would be so expensive. If they wanted Leon, Whitley, Brown and Meyers that's a deal I'd do. I just think that's probably too light for them and they'd want a couple of our young pitchers with 4 or 5 years of club control left plus our best hitting prospect and our best pitching prospect. 

But again, I have no belief that we'd be in on this. Also- the Washington owner is a  fuckstick and held onto Harper when they sucked and then let him walk for nothing, so maybe he loved that so much he wants to do the same with Soto.  Regardless, they are terrible and should suck the next couple years too, so hanging onto him and letting his value decline makes absolutely zero sense.  So that's my bet as to what he does.  

I guess where I'm coming from is that we don't NEED Soto to have a chance to win the WS. I think we have a team right now that is capable of winning it all.  Pitching depth is a big part of that.  Once LMJ comes back we are going to have seven legit starting pitchers on the roster.  For me, I'd rather have the pitching depth, with two starters coming out of the pen, than a big bat in CF.  In terms of prospects, I think we need to be turning most or all of our guys expected to make the big leagues in 2022-2024 into more 2025-2027 guys when our core is going to be in deep decline and a lot of others will be gone because their contracts are up.

• Hook 'Em 2

17 minutes ago, Ojo Rojo said:

I guess where I'm coming from is that we don't NEED Soto to have a chance to win the WS. I think we have a team right now that is capable of winning it all.  Pitching depth is a big part of that.  Once LMJ comes back we are going to have seven legit starting pitchers on the roster.  For me, I'd rather have the pitching depth, with two starters coming out of the pen, than a big bat in CF.  In terms of prospects, I think we need to be turning most or all of our guys expected to make the big leagues in 2022-2024 into more 2025-2027 guys when our core is going to be in deep decline and a lot of others will be gone because their contracts are up.

Yep. 
The argument is if you have too much depth you can’t use it all. Turning it over into later years makes sense. Totally. As does pushing your chips into the middle and maximizing the last years of Altuve being good, and having Yordan and Tucker and Bregman locked up. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn

1 hour ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Washington SHOULD trade him this year as every day he's on their roster is another bit of value they are wasting and they aren't going to be likely to be real legit contenders the next 2 years.  I fully expect they will not trade him, and they can't extend him, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't.  

I agree, but I think that, again, there is no realistic way to get fair value for him with 2.5 years of team control in almost any scenario. We could offer Leon, Garcia, Javier, Brown and Whitley and I’d bet Washington would say “no” today. That deal doesn’t really make sense for the Astros or the Nationals. And that’s the problem. Someone like Baltimore could probably get him for Rutschman and Rodriguez (and maybe a few other guys) but that doesn’t make any sense for the Orioles.  That’s the problem - his team control/salary/value just make it almost impossible to trade him right now, unless Washington is willing to take less than they should. 

30 minutes ago, Hank Chinaski said:

I agree, but I think that, again, there is no realistic way to get fair value for him with 2.5 years of team control in almost any scenario. We could offer Leon, Garcia, Javier, Brown and Whitley and I’d bet Washington would say “no” today. That deal doesn’t really make sense for the Astros or the Nationals. And that’s the problem. Someone like Baltimore could probably get him for Rutschman and Rodriguez (and maybe a few other guys) but that doesn’t make any sense for the Orioles.  That’s the problem - his team control/salary/value just make it almost impossible to trade him right now, unless Washington is willing to take less than they should. 

If you wanted to do it and you were them you get established guys in a 3 or 4 for one and flip them one by one for prospects maybe?  
I think you are correct nothing gets done. If I was  the Washington GM I’d be spending all my time trying to figure it out. 

1 minute ago, Gut Wagon said:

Every time I check MLB.com, there's yet another over-the-top story about how wonderful the Angels are. Gonna break a lot of media hearts when LA fails to win the division, much less meet the Dodgers in the WS.

The Astros’ hitting and the Angels’ pitching will both revert to the norm. Bad news for the Angels 

1 minute ago, rvm96 said:

I was late because Whataburger was slower than slow. We had a run, Brantley was already on second and then Bregman drilled a double down the line.

Yeah, and Yordan just drove in Bregman.  4 AB, 4H, 3R

We may never lose another game.  Ever.

• Hook 'Em 1

fuck having sprint to 2nd.

Best lazy man effort against work in the last few days.

( no he's not lazy, but we still get to talk shit about that one time...)

Edited by slorch

2 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

Framber is the expendable starting pitcher. I’d take Javier and Garcia over him. package him with Mayer or Chas, throw in a prospect for something we need 

Dump the dead weight, eh?

It's not even mid May...  And moTherfuckers have forgotten they were panicking in April. AGAIN.

April next seasons I'm gonna need everyone to have increased circumference. I don't give a shit about the first 16.  Yes, my preference is to win them, but got damn. 

This is the best team in baseball over 5 years... The disappoint is shit like not winning the WS...  The disappoint isnt 8-8 or whatever the fuck.

• Hook 'Em 2

21 minutes ago, Planet Houston said:

Is this guy fuckin serious??? People are such crybabies. You’re just getting your ass beat, dude. 

But after bludgeoning the guy early, the Astros were sly enough to then take a break from scalding the ball quite as often. Just to keep the league office from getting suspicious...right, Mark? 🙄

38 minutes ago, Planet Houston said:

Is this guy fuckin serious??? People are such crybabies. You’re just getting your ass beat, dude. 

Damn we’re good  if we’re able to hack into the Pitchcom system. 

Edited by TonyTexas