2022 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

Just now, rvm96 said:

Astros future on Twitter had a good idea. Maybe Bielak comes up to fill. He's done good at Sugar Land so far.

Bielak is a perfectly serviceable guy that I would absolutely trust to do a credible job filling in for a month or two while waiting for LMJ. Solomon would probably be the same. Not near as much upside as Brown, but so deep no reason to worry/panic. 

1 minute ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Bielak is a perfectly serviceable guy that I would absolutely trust to do a credible job filling in for a month or two while waiting for LMJ. Solomon would probably be the same. Not near as much upside as Brown, but so deep no reason to worry/panic. 

Solomon was their other suggestion.

5 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

So- they could do a 5 man rotation and bring up the AAA lefty reliever to take his roster spot, or, “is that Hunter Browns music I hear in the background?”  Sparky says he’s ready. People are jizzing about his stuff. He could fill in and then spend a month on the shelf if/when LMJ comes back to limit his innings and keep him ready for the post season if he is that guy. 
It is Boston. Maybe he checks back in during the 3rd quarter like Paul Pierce. 

i'm excited for brown but i have to believe they have a plan for him involving a timetable, and i don't see an injury forcing him into duty.  just a hunch.

the bielak idea makes sense.  or go trade for montas or somebody who would normally be available in july but do it in june.

i don't mind javier in the rotation, but i really like him in high leverage/multi-inning situations out of the pen.  not sure if we'll have high leverage situations in the next month of playing sub .500 teams.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

bielak/soloman could go 4 and plan to have javier go 2-3 after.  not strict tandem, just play it by feel.

8 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

i'm excited for brown but i have to believe they have a plan for him involving a timetable, and i don't see an injury forcing him into duty.  just a hunch.

the bielak idea makes sense.  or go trade for montas or somebody who would normally be available in july but do it in june.

i don't mind javier in the rotation, but i really like him in high leverage/multi-inning situations out of the pen.  not sure if we'll have high leverage situations in the next month of playing sub .500 teams.

7 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

bielak/soloman could go 4 and plan to have javier go 2-3 after.  not strict tandem, just play it by feel.

I think you are absolutely right on both counts. Both those guys are high floor low ceiling guys (for AAA types) that you ought to trust to be just fine but aren’t going to be part of playoff type high leverage situations. But the sub 500 schedule and 5 other starter types make this a spot you could really see being ideal to get his feet wet. 

1 minute ago, kevwun said:

If the Astros had taken the lead, the game could have been called.

2 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Not with Boston still having the bottom of the inning to go I don’t think. 
should get this in tonight though, right? 

So it’s an official game after 5 innings. Since the Astros tied it up in the 6th but Boston hasn’t gotten to bat, they don’t do something stupid like say the top of the 6th doesn’t count and Boston wins, do they?

No, the game is tied, so they will resume it later if they can't finish tonight.

Having a hard time trusting your answer after you posted this

10 minutes ago, kevwun said:

If the Astros had taken the lead, the game could have been called.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

Having a hard time trusting your answer after you posted this

The Red Sox got to bat 5 times for their 15 outs.  They're the home team, so the game would have been official if the Astros were leading when it started to rain.  The only reason the game can't be called now is because it's tied.

Edited by kevwun

The Red Sox got to bat 5 times for their 15 outs.  They're the home team, so the game would have been official if the Astros were leading when it started to rain.

That can’t be right. We would have an extra 1/2 inning at bat. 

4 minutes ago, kevwun said:

The Red Sox got to bat 5 times for their 15 outs.  They're the home team, so the game would have been official if the Astros were leading when it started to rain.  The only reason the game can't be called now is because it's tied.

i don't have a rulebook in front of me but this cannot be right.  if we took the lead in t6, they would not call the game as an astros win in the middle of the 6th no way.

if the red sox were leading after 5 innings, they could've called it, presumably even in the middle of the 6th.

i do feel like there used to be more "fuck it, let's start the game over some other time" in the old days.  doesn't seem to happen much anymore, not sure what changed.

Like playing cards with my brother's kids.

Prior to the 2020 season, if a game was terminated early due to weather before becoming official, the results up to the point of the termination did not count and the game was started over at a later date. But as part of MLB's health and safety protocols during the COVID-19 pandemic, all games cut short due to weather before becoming official were resumed at a later date, rather than started over from scratch, during the 2020 campaign.

The rules below remained in place.

If a regulation game is terminated early due to weather, the results are considered final if the home team is leading. If the home team is trailing, the results are considered final if the game is not in the midst of an inning when the visiting team has taken the lead.

If a regulation game is terminated early due to weather and the game is either tied or in the midst of an inning in which the visiting team has taken the lead, it becomes a suspended game that will be completed at a later date from the point of termination.

The worry I had is it would revert back to the score after 5 but it appears that is not the case.  That's fucked me before in softball when we took the lead but hit the time limit before we could get to the bottom of the inning.

Edited by WBT
  • Hook 'Em 3

has anyone seen a start time yet ?
No cause its drizzling...the horror

TK said its not hard rain. They removed the spikes from tarp but tarp still down. Acting like they won't remove until rain completely stops. He said 30 more mins at least.

1 hour ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Not with Boston still having the bottom of the inning to go I don’t think. 
should get this in tonight though, right? 

This is correct. If the Astros had taken the lead, the game would be suspended and played to it's conclusion. If the Astros had not tied it, Boston would have won the game.