Unexpected Retirement, How The Hell Do You Do It?

SHOOTER12

Oh, I get it. I’m 58 and need to work another ten years (becoming a Dad at 46 will do that). That’s my plan- save ten more years into the 401k and pay off our house and the one we bought for MIL to live in (and if she is dead, that will be a source of income). SS and a tiny fixed benefit pension from a prior employer (8% inflation is wreaking havoc on it; thanks, MMT!). 

The good news- guys are getting jobs. Even more so if you are willing to relocate (I know that’s probably not what you want to do). 

Bad news- you thought you were two years away from retiring and resume updates and interviews were a thing of the past. This sucks. 

I advise you to get back to work, even if not optimum. It’s easier to get that better job if you’re employed than if you’re not. You’ll interview better. 

Contact old friends and associates and set up lunches with them. Don’t ask for help; they know you could use some. Ask for advice. If they have job leads, they’ll give them. 

This is scary time. Treat it like the last 50 meters of a quarter mile- keep your head up, your shoulders square, and breathe. It’s the only way to handle this. Like in a race, keeping good form carries  you through the times your body wants to give in. 

Edited by statsman
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

Why not both? 

OP made it sound like the suit was a real long shot.  I've just seen a lot of plaintiffs go through a suit and find themselves more beaten down by the end of it even if they won.  Often times they weren't any happier when it was all said and done.

• Hook 'Em 1

54 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

OP made it sound like the suit was a real long shot.  I've just seen a lot of plaintiffs go through a suit and find themselves more beaten down by the end of it even if they won.  Often times they weren't any happier when it was all said and done.

Lawsuits suck.  No one is saying he should necessarily sue.  Hiring a lawyer and digging into it may be highly worthwhile, though.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, SHOOTER12 said:

Appreciate the feedback on this.  If anyone has any lawyer recommendations in the Houston area DM me.

Had to leave the thread last night when I started getting too upset again.   I'm just glad the panic attacks aren't nearly as bad as they were. 

Thanks again. 

I don't want to be the asshole that says "everything will be fine" but from what I've picked up reading about you and your attitude on life, Everything will be fine. I'm in sales. Twice I have received a call saying "we don't need you anymore". Once when I had 3 kids at home and was the only source of income for the family as my wife went back to school. There was no warning, no bad reviews, nothing to tell me it was coming, they just cut me loose. I just used my righteous indignation as a motivator to tell them "screw you".

After my last layoff 12 years ago during the recession I couldn't get a return phone call from anyone I knew in the industry, then a friend connected me with a company of who I knew, but had no interest in working for. The owner ended up making me an offer and I've been here 13 years now. I wish I got here sooner he's a great employer and person.

My bet is that if you really want to work and keep looking, you will find something. There are still employers who see character, quality in, and appreciate an employee who can stick with the same company for 40 years.

I don't know exactly what you did in construction but I can tell you the Renewables (wind turbine) construction market is bonkers crazy. They are putting up turbines at a scary rate from 35 west and along the coast. People in the industry have told me that there is about to be a big explosion of offshore turbine construction in the gulf.  A lot of the turbine construction companies are in the midwest but they have a huge presence down here. Blattner, Wanzek and IEA are three that come to mind. And there are 100's of renewable companies based in Houston. There might be something there. 

The TL;DR version, screw them and don't give up. I promise there is something there for you.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

You had over 40 years there, and were on the high end of compensation. You had a real career. It’s a tough pill to swallow, realizing that your career is over, and now you need a “job”. I advise you to embrace it and adopt a mercenary attitude. Adjust your attitude and approach, and you will be back in charge. 

(I have been with my employer since 1987, except for a six year hiatus. I have worked through the night, taken whore baths in the Sao Paulo airport, solved unsolvable problems, and … had the pleasure last week of a new hire mid level manager question my commitment to the company because I wouldn’t reschedule a family visit so I could attend a weekly status meeting he needed help with  😂)

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, jeevsie said:

Set yaself up an LLC and consult.

Can't believe how much help we've gotten from this semi retired fella we found who picks up the phone whenever we call and answers questions we haven't even asked yet.

Very interesting thought.

6 minutes ago, SHOOTER12 said:

Side note*

I learned how to make out a resume yesterday.  Lol

The fun thing I noticed about writing resumes when you're old is the fact that most of your old supervisors are retired or dead. And in my case, a lot of the companies were bought out or went out of business. So none of my youthful asshole-ness can be held against me.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, jeevsie said:

Set yaself up an LLC and consult.

Can't believe how much help we've gotten from this semi retired fella we found who picks up the phone whenever we call and answers questions we haven't even asked yet.

This is great advice.  Spend a bit to get this done and then call all your former competitors, vendors and clients and let them know you are available. Tell them that you have a very particular set of skills. Skills you have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make you a great asset for people like them.   Then sit back and profit.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, davidg said:

This is great advice.  Spend a bit to get this done and then call all your former competitors, vendors and clients and let them know you are available. Tell them that you have a very particular set of skills. Skills you have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make you a great asset for people like them.   Then sit back and profit.

@SHOOTER12 seriously it costs like a few hundred bucks on legalzoom to get this done, just do it today while you have a bunch of time. Then just call people you know and tell them for 100/hr you will help out with whatever. 8 hour blocks paid weekly up to 24 hours available a week. 

I think you will be surprised how much interest you get. 

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, davidg said:

Hell, you don't even need an LLC to start.  Just promote your services among those you know in the biz as a troubleshooter and see where that goes.  Doing work on an hourly/time/materials basis at a reasonable rate (100-200/hr maybe more) can be a real eye-opener for a long time wage slave.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, markstanco said:

So you are the one to blame for the constant I-35 construction.  Maybe you got laid off for being so damn slow at your job. 

We were working around Waco mostly. 

As far as slow??? I got bonuses for my crew completing our segments ahead of schedule. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, SHOOTER12 said:

Yep

In Texas, you have a statutory 7-day period in which you can revoke your agreement to the separation agreement.  Suggest you speak with a lawyer before the expiration of that 7 days.  

• Hook 'Em 7

32 minutes ago, SHOOTER12 said:

We were working around Waco mostly. 

As far as slow??? I got bonuses for my crew completing our segments ahead of schedule. 

I thought I had remembered you were doing a lot of work around Waco.  Did you actually work for TXDoT, or one of the private companies they use?  If so, I know quite a few owners of quite a few companies in construction around the area and can get you in touch with them.  All types...Concrete, Road, Residential, Commercial, Development, etc.   

Did they give you a severance when you left or were you just walked? Often companies will throw a waiver in a severance agreement to protect against a lawsuit 

Would any document that tries you to prevent you from suing because they broke the law hold up? If it did, every employment contract would cover all kinds of illegal shit.

6 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

Would any document that tries you to prevent you from suing because they broke the law hold up? If it did, every employment contract would cover all kinds of illegal shit.

Discrimination cases are rarely slam dunks because no one says “you’re being fired bc you’re old.” At-will employment means they don’t even have to tell you why you’re fired. So in that context, if you sign an agreement for a little money, and that agreement includes a waiver of rights to sue - yes. It would probably hold up. 

To put another way, lawsuits and potential lawsuits settle all the time by contracts providing for money in exchange of the waiver/dismissal of all claims. I’m not talking criminal liability, but certainly any lawsuit for money damages 

Edited by Pig Bellmont

6 hours ago, SHOOTER12 said:

Foundation drilling, mainly bridge foundations for TxDot. 

Have you thought about relocating? Plenty of work in CA.

Some companies you might contact - Malcolm Drilling, Condon Johnson, Shoring Engineers, Drill Tech, and Keller.

If you don't want to move, Keller is probably your best bet. AFAIK, they are a national company and might have work in TX.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, SHOOTER12 said:

Foundation drilling, mainly bridge foundations for TxDot. 

PM sent. 

Also, can't parrot the guys mentioning consulting enough.  Shit I did it in my 30's and it was the best job I had until some medical stuff leveled the field a bit.  The biggest setback you'll see with construction/engineering will be insurance.  Most will want you professionally insured.  But there's people that will stand in line to take $15/hr off your 175, and provide your professional insurance coverage for you. 

2 hours ago, Trey3216 said:

I thought I had remembered you were doing a lot of work around Waco.  Did you actually work for TXDoT, or one of the private companies they use?  If so, I know quite a few owners of quite a few companies in construction around the area and can get you in touch with them.  All types...Concrete, Road, Residential, Commercial, Development, etc.   

We were working for the GC,  Webber LLC as a subcontractor. 

45 minutes ago, Superhero said:

Have you thought about relocating? Plenty of work in CA.

Some companies you might contact - Malcolm Drilling, Condon Johnson, Shoring Engineers, Drill Tech, and Keller.

If you don't want to move, Keller is probably your best bet. AFAIK, they are a national company and might have work in TX.

If I were younger I would consider it.  With all of my family here including 8 grandkids at age 65, it's a no go,  but thanks.

My dad worked at the same company for 35 years, on a good path and always talking about waiting to get an early package.

And then he got it at 55. And was a pissed off, miserable asshole for the next 10 years because he'd apparently forgotten about what he'd been hoping for.

20 years later he's come to terms with the fact that he his wish came true and he got an extra 20 years of his life he likely would have pissed away.

Find your center, brother.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, tfoolry said:

Any chance you could consult with the company that just laid you off if their business unexpectedly picks up in the next year? 

Good question,  but I doubt it.  One reason I'm hesitant to get a lawyer is the fact that they said they want to bring me back when work picks.  

I do know it's horribly but slow.  A company with 20 crews only has 2 of them working,  trying to support the entire company. 

43 minutes ago, SHOOTER12 said:

Good question,  but I doubt it.  One reason I'm hesitant to get a lawyer is the fact that they said they want to bring me back when work picks.  

I do know it's horribly but slow.  A company with 20 crews only has 2 of them working,  trying to support the entire company. 

Yeah, doesn't sound like they are flush with cash for any type of "extra" anyway and as a subcontractor could likely just fold up shop and reopen under different name anyway.  It obviously sounds like it's tough on a lot of folks in that industry right now. Definitely just have to take things one day at a time. Hopefully something will turn up as people learn you're available.  Getting the consulting gig setup sounds like a great idea, especially if things turn around it likely would be a better gig anyway.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Yeah, doesn't sound like they are flush with cash for any type of "extra" anyway and as a subcontractor could likely just fold up shop and reopen under different name anyway.  It obviously sounds like it's tough on a lot of folks in that industry right now. Definitely just have to take things one day at a time. Hopefully something will turn up as people learn you're available.  Getting the consulting gig setup sounds like a great idea, especially if things turn around it likely would be a better gig anyway.

Thanks MD 

9 minutes ago, SHOOTER12 said:

I'm a member and am going on the prowl today 

Sounds like you’re planning on using it like seeking arrangements. Not sure it works like that, but I haven’t tried it for those purposes.