Unexpected Retirement, How The Hell Do You Do It?

SHOOTER12

One thing I will say is that it is easier to find a job when you don't have one as you are able to look at offers/roles etc on their own merits vs an A/B compare of a new role vs the one you are in.

Your full time job effectively becomes looking for a new one and this allows you to really think about what you want to do, where you want to work etc

I also recommend taking a couple of weeks off and just let the emotion of this moment get by you. You are in the "I'm, shocked, I'm pissed, it's Mack Brown" stage of this journey and you may need a bit of respite before making the job search in earnest.

It is tempting to flail out instantly after being laid off but this is ineffective and also any interactions you may with prospective employers may be tinged with too much emotion as your wound from being laid off is exposed.

Good luck in your search, I would definitely not sign the severance and get an employment lawyer to work for you. Nothing to lose.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BrazilHorn said:

One thing I will say is that it is easier to find a job when you don't have one as you are able to look at offers/roles etc on their own merits vs an A/B compare of a new role vs the one you are in.

Your full time job effectively becomes looking for a new one and this allows you to really think about what you want to do, where you want to work etc

I also recommend taking a couple of weeks off and just let the emotion of this moment get by you. You are in the "I'm, shocked, I'm pissed, it's Mack Brown" stage of this journey and you may need a bit of respite before making the job search in earnest.

It is tempting to flail out instantly after being laid off but this is ineffective and also any interactions you may with prospective employers may be tinged with too much emotion as your wound from being laid off is exposed.

Good luck in your search, I would definitely not sign the severance and get an employment lawyer to work for you. Nothing to lose.

I'm wondering if it's not too far off from "the 7 stages of grief" scenario?

1 minute ago, SHOOTER12 said:

It is not far off at all actually. You have just experienced a loss. A loss of self and identity. You are going through a lot of feelings here that are very much along the lines of those stages of grief.

Never underestimate how much of our sense of self lies in the job you do. Think about how often you are asked what you do, or how work is etc

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, SHOOTER12 said:

It’s on the list of most traumatic life experiences- death of a child, death of a spouse, death of a sibling, breakup of a marriage and loss of a job. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, statsman said:

It’s on the list of most traumatic life experiences- death of a child, death of a spouse, death of a sibling, breakup of a marriage and loss of a job. 

Specifically in this case, he’s been there 40 years….

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, BrazilHorn said:

It is not far off at all actually. You have just experienced a loss. A loss of self and identity. You are going through a lot of feelings here that are very much along the lines of those stages of grief.

Never underestimate how much of our sense of self lies in the job you do. Think about how often you are asked what you do, or how work is etc

I agree with this. I was forced to retire at 55. I was fine financially, and probably would have retired in a few years anyway. But, it was the loss of title, responsibility, and my opinion that caused much anxiety. It was the most difficult element of retirement that I had to adjust to.

Wife said it took two years before she could see I was finally at peace. I asked her how she determined that. Her response was she could tell when I started laughing a lot, and started following the weather.

• Hook 'Em 2

• 2 months later...
46 minutes ago, nnm said:

Update @SHOOTER12?

Nothing good. Still shaking trees and beating the bushes.  As insanely hot as it has been,  the layoff may have saved my life. Just working on our property (20 acres), I've gotten sicker than a dog four times in the last couple of weeks. With the exception of yesterday and today,  it's  been 102-104 for a couple of weeks. 

Thanks for asking nnm.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

• 3 months later...

Well hell, nothing good to report.  I supposedly had a very good job lined up but was undercut by a guy without hardly any experience  that they are having to train by putting a project manager AND another superintendent on site with him. IMO this was stupid and not terribly cost effective. It's really a easy to lose money in this business, and as far as the lack of experience goes??? Hell I've been doing this for over 42 years and I still don't know it all

To top it off, when I went to make my unemployment claim today, it said that I had no further benefits coming, although the system said I had a year of benefits coming starting March 13 2022. .  WTF??  So I went to the SS office to start benefits on December 1st when my benefits will have gone up $100/month. Wholly fuck life comes at you fast, and then tries to kill you as  painfully as possible.

P.S. Was unable to talk to a real person at the unemployment office. 

Edited by SHOOTER12
  • Like 1

Very sorry to hear it. Maybe look for something that floats your boat completely out of your field. That’s what I did. Working for a non-profit, about as far from my O&G career as you can get. A fraction of the pay but we’re doing just fine. 

Edited by nnm
  • Hook 'Em 1

40 minutes ago, nnm said:

Very sorry to hear it. Maybe look for something that floats your boat completely out of your field. That’s what I did. Working for a non-profit, about as far from my O&G career as you can get. A fraction of the pay but we’re doing just fine. 

That's what I'm looking at.  Hell I might just go to work as a parts runner for an auto parts store or a car dealership.  Add that to SS and we'll be fine.  Hell I may run for president.

Edited by SHOOTER12
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1