2022 MLB thread

shadow_operative2.0

Whoops. 

Milwaukee Brewers catcher Pedro Severino has been suspended 80 games without pay for taking a performance-enhancing drug, which he says he took to treat infertility issues.

Major League Baseball said he took Clomiphene. The drug is approved by the FDA to treat infertility in women, but not in men.

Severino, 28, issued a statement through the players' union, admitting he took the drug.

"Since late 2020, my wife and I had been trying to start a family unsuccessfully," he said. "When we returned to the Dominican Republic after the 2021 season, we sought medical assistance to determine why we had not succeeded. One of the doctors I consulted with prescribed me with a medication to treat infertility issues. Unfortunately, I now know that the medication contained Clomiphene."

He goes on to say that he accepts responsibility and will not challenge the suspension.

"In my attempt to start a family, I made a mistake," he said.

Severino apologized to the Brewers organization and his teammates.

He signed as a free agent with the team in November. He has played six-plus seasons in the big leagues with the Nationals and Orioles. Last season with Baltimore was one of his best. In a career high 419 plate appearances, he had 11 homers and 46 RBIs.

The reasons these guys give for using banned substances never fails to amuse. Maybe some of them have told the truth, but it’s really tough to believe them thanks to all the utter bullshit that has been spewed over the last 15 years or whatever. 

The explanation he gave is 100% valid. Whether it’s the truth or not is up for debate. Not sure who wrote that article, but Clomid is very much prescribed to and used by men for fertility purposes.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Didn't see anything about this on any thread, you see this new Pitchcom device that MLB is letting teams use?

https://defector.com/mlb-finally-found-a-good-way-to-use-technology/

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/33674768/mlb-allow-pitchers-catchers-use-anti-sign-stealing-technology-regular-season-sources-say

TL;DR - Catchers have a keypad to relay the pitch they want to the pitchers to throw, the pitcher and 3 other players have ear pieces that call the pitch out, in their language of choice.

https://pitchcomsports.com

In action:

16 hours ago, Herbie Hancock said:

The explanation he gave is 100% valid. Whether it’s the truth or not is up for debate. Not sure who wrote that article, but Clomid is very much prescribed to and used by men for fertility purposes.

That’s fine, the point is that every single player that tests positive feels the need to state that it was a big mixup and that he had the noblest of intentions (trying to start a family) when unwittingly consuming banned substances. 

• Hook 'Em 1

44 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Opening Day quiz from George Will.  You have to be a baseball encyclopedia to do well, but it's fun.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/interactive/2022/george-will-baseball-quiz-2022/

Fun quiz.  22/36 but I missed both of the catcher/broadcaster questions.

Spoiler

I feel like that was a low-key Billy Wagner HOF campaign article

I was watching the show prior to the game and they mentioned also that McCutchen, and all other current players who have won the Clemente Award, will be wearing a 21 patch on the back of their hats for the rest of their careers.  

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Scraps said:

I was watching the show prior to the game and they mentioned also that McCutchen, and all other current players who have won the Clemente Award, will be wearing a 21 patch on the back of their hats for the rest of their careers.  

yeah, damn cool. Just sent this to my son. His reaction was he wants a McCutchen hat. If they come out I will have to get him one. 

image.thumb.png.157e9e53804850523f0954bffffcc74c.png

Everything the Pirates do turns to shit:

The Pittsburgh Pirates are building around third baseman Ke'Bryan Hayes.

The Pirates and Hayes, 25, have come to terms on a new eight-year, $70 million deal pending Hayes passing a physical, according to multiple reports. A formal announcement isn't expected until the team's home opener on April 12, according to The Associated Press.

It is the largest contract agreement in franchise history.

Hayes struck out in the first inning of Thursday's season opener against the St. Louis Cardinals and was removed from the game in the bottom of the inning with a spasm of his left forearm, the Pirates said, adding that he is considered day-to-day. Hayes was limited to 96 games in 2021 because of a left wrist injury.