2022 MLB thread

shadow_operative2.0

i've watched a lot of baseball today, and some of these balls seem dead. ive seen a surprisingly high number of balls that look crushed off the bat, only to end up dying at or even before the warming track. seen a bunch of announcing teams get fooled too. even on indoor games with perfect weather. it's weird. 

7 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

Bobby Witt just did his best Omar Quintanilla impression in the 10th inning to stop the go-ahead run from scoring. his throw was nowhere near as good as Omar's, but the pick/play was unreal, and Salvy bailed him out with a great play at the plate. early returns on Witt are decidedly positive. 

I know Omar.  I was in the stands for his play.  This no Omar:

Goddamn, son. 

Pitching phenom Roki Sasaki had 19 strikeouts while throwing a perfect game in a record-setting performance Sunday in Japan's top professional league.

Sasaki, 20, recorded the first perfect game in Nippon Professional Baseball since 1994 and the 16th in league history, according to multiple Japanese media outlets.

Sasaki, a right-hander for the Chiba Lotte Marines, tied an NPB record with his 19 strikeouts against the Orix Buffaloes. He also struck out 13 consecutive batters at one point, a record in Japanese pro baseball, according to Kyodo News.

——

Featuring a fastball that routinely topped 100 mph and a devastating forkball, Sasaki needed 105 pitches to log the 94th no-hitter in Japanese pro baseball history and the first since Aug. 15, 2020, according to Kyodo News. It was NPB's first perfect game since May 18, 1994, according to Kyodo.

• Hook 'Em 4

What? Stanton has 12 batted balls with exit velos over 120 MPH.

Stanton really scalds the ball when he touches it, almost seems like he waits a bit too late on some and benefits from the short porch in right, not real sure how much exit velo factors in over launch angle anyway unless you’re glad Guerrero who hits more line drive hr than I’ve even seen.