2022 MLB thread

shadow_operative2.0

3 hours ago, Helobious said:

The trash in that org goes beyond the field

No matter how many tens of millions more money you spend than the Astros, Yankees still have the monopoly on trash. On the field and in the stands. 

You can’t buy class. 

Got to love the high horse from a team caught cheating with electronic devices in the same freaking season. Suck it up buttercup, you’ve got nothing to stand on. Cheater. 

Spent $100 million more, cheated as well, and still got sent the fuck home in 2017. 😂

Edited by ChickenSandwich
  • Like 4

19 minutes ago, Carl Spackler said:

For me, an immaculate inning is three pitches, three outs.  Greg Maddux would agree.

1 IP, 1 pitch would be even better. Wonder how many times (if ever) that’s been done?  Either triple play or pickoff then double play (obviously must be a relief pitcher to do that). 

7 hours ago, Surly Bevo said:

So the Rangers and Ezequiel Duran in particular have been involved in 3 Immaculate Innings this year....cool cool

Rangers tied the 1979 Giants for most times immaculated in a season but Duran reached a league of his own to become the only batter involved in 3 immaculate innings ever at any point in their career and he turned the trick in 47 days.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

1 IP, 1 pitch would be even better. Wonder how many times (if ever) that’s been done?  Either triple play or pickoff then double play (obviously must be a relief pitcher to do that). 

Theoretically, a relief pitcher could "pitch" a complete inning without throwing a pitch -- enter the game with the bases loaded and pick off all three runners one after another without throwing a pitch to the batter.  Baseball nerdism on display here.

I used to marvel at how efficient Greg Maddux was.  Getting through an inning on 7 or 8 pitches was pretty common for him.  He threw a CG against my Cubs back in the 90's, and I think his pitch count was something like 77 or 78.  Just ridiculous.  

6 minutes ago, Helobious said:

*Cubs get Yankees #7 ranked prospect in return. Apparently this pitcher is under team control for 5 more years but still, Cashman got badly fleeced here. 

Lulz at this opinion coming from someone who just admittedly knows nothing about Efross and probably Wisneski as well. 

More like why for the Padres. That’s a lot to give up for a closer, even a great one. Especially considering they gave up an adequate one in the process:

Hader: 37 G, 34 IP, 29 SV, 4.24 ERA, 3.47 FIP, 2.41xFIP, .6 WAR

Rogers: 42 G, 42.1 IP, 28 SV, 4.35 ERA, 2.35 FIP, 3.35 xFIP, 1.3 WAR

• Hook 'Em 2

37 minutes ago, formermav43 said:

More like why for the Padres. That’s a lot to give up for a closer, even a great one. Especially considering they gave up an adequate one in the process:

not adequate to them.  They already demoted him this past week and said they were going to closer by committee, so they were done with Rogers.  

36 minutes ago, formermav43 said:

To be fair those stats are skewed a lot by Hader getting rocked in back to back games 2 weeks ago. His ERA was in the mid 1’s up until he ga e up something like 8 runs in .1 innings.

2 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Gourmand beat me to it. Why indeed.

the rest of their bullpen is still awesome, and they got a great haul for him. Rogers is great, Lamet has been great before and if he gets back to his best then he's a huge addition to the team, and then ruiz is hailed as the best young base stealer in baseball. that, plus another prospect for a closer seems like a great bit of business to me.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, formermav43 said:

to be fair hader has had a brutal two weeks which have skewed his averages pretty drastically. he's still been the best reliever in baseball since he entered the league. that said, i'm totally with you, i think the brewers fleeced the Padres. 

the brewers need to do with lamet what they did with guys like peralta, burnes, and woodruff, and i expect that's exactly what they'll do. use him in a long relief/swiss army knife role out of the bullpen, and then build him (back) up into a starter. the last time lamet was fully healthy he was pitching like a cy young candidate, and was up above 12 k/9 with one of the best sliders in the game. milwaukee was the perfect place for him to land i. his effort to rehab his career. 

• Hook 'Em 2

also, as much i love hader, he has got to be nearing the end of his shelf life as an elite closer. he's been elite since 2017. how many closers remain elite for more than 5 years? answer: the ones who go to the HoF. either Hader is that 1 in 10,000, or the Pads just majorly overpaid for a guy in his last leg as an elite closer.

Just now, Seasick Sailor said:

god damn the rich just get richer every summer. i'm sure helo will be here shortly with a dozen reasons why he sucks and doesn't deserve to wear the pinstripes.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, UpperWestside said:

I’m sorry, what? 

Montas slots in now at #2 in the rotation. This was a really good trade for both teams. Trivino helps out a good deal as well.

I was mostly kidding, but yeah he’s not as good as his stats would have you believe. Playing against the angels & rangers will do that. I’d slot him 4th in the rotation after Coke Cortes & Monty. Sevy could spell him if he comes back this year too.

4 hours ago, Helobious said:

Yankees get their guy… a reliever no one has ever heard of (cue a bunch of posters pretending like they had any idea who this guy is) 

as a cubs fan with a similar last name i 100% am familiar with him, and here, now you can be too:

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cgulf1lMrHL/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Helobious said:

I was mostly kidding, but yeah he’s not as good as his stats would have you believe. Playing against the angels & rangers will do that. I’d slot him 4th in the rotation after Coke Cortes & Monty. Sevy could spell him if he comes back this year too.

Well he eats innings which is good. Nestor will have some regression and I am not counting on him being up to the challenge in the post-season. I also do not count on Jordan Montgomery in October. Whatever positives he provides in his starts are a bonus.

Montas I just don’t worry about. He gets the stability of playing for a team with a very realistic goal of getting to the World Series. This deadline has been a really good one for the Yanks. I could not tell you a single thing about Effross though. Sounds like a pretty cool story of a late bloomer. I think he is under team control until 2027 when he would be 33 I believe.