2022 MLB thread

shadow_operative2.0

I went and looked at the game log for Montas. Cleveland lit him up twice. Kansas City did as well (He and Cole have that in common!) and Detroit tagged him as well. Philly got him in the first start too. Against the better teams in the AL he has performed well above average. This is a guy that I feel the Yanks can count on in pressure situations.

Edited by UpperWestside

That is the story of every Oakland post-season for the last 32 years. An entire organization that is snakebit in October. I do not worry about Montas taking the bump against them or anyone else.

I looked at his ERA in his five clunker starts this year, none of which are teams the Yanks will have to go through to advance to the World Series.

22 earned runs in 27.1 innings= 7.24 ERA.

Rest of the season thus far is 15 earned runs in 77.1 innings which= 1.75 ERA. 

So yes I do feel a good bit of confidence about this addition that I have not in prior years when adding an arm.

Edited by UpperWestside

32 minutes ago, VirginiaLonghorn said:

In the old days, the KC A’s were viewed as a Yanks farm team for always filling NYY needs.  In the last week, the Yanks reached down to KC and the A’s to fill holes.  Nothing changed but some geography …

I am always somewhat surprised when teams deal with the Yanks. Cashman seems to keep fairly good relationships with every team’s front office that is not in Boston or Houston though. I think he did as well as could be expected in the deadline acquisitions. I also thought Mancini getting his shot to finally win is pretty cool too. That guy is a living testimony to what perseverance in adverse circumstances can do for you.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, UpperWestside said:

I am always somewhat surprised when teams deal with the Yanks. Cashman seems to keep fairly good relationships with every team’s front office that is not in Boston or Houston though. I think he did as well as could be expected in the deadline acquisitions. I also thought Mancini getting his shot to finally win is pretty cool too. That guy is a living testimony to what perseverance in adverse circumstances can do for you.

I’m seldom surprised and never shocked when NYY pulls off a deal.  They always look favorable on paper .. even Gallo.  I think it’s a testament to their scouting to always have enuf desirable prospects to make the ML level deals work.

I’m a huge Mancini fan .. as a person more than a player.  A great guy who deserves a real shot at a ring. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Vazquez was asked if he'd been traded to the Astros, when in fact he did not even know that happened. he was asked about it, sort of realized it just have happened, and simply said, "it's a business", before being pulled away by a member of the red sox staff. brutal stuff here.

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

3 hours ago, VirginiaLonghorn said:

I’m seldom surprised and never shocked when NYY pulls off a deal.  They always look favorable on paper .. even Gallo.  I think it’s a testament to their scouting to always have enuf desirable prospects to make the ML level deals work.

I’m a huge Mancini fan .. as a person more than a player.  A great guy who deserves a real shot at a ring. 

Hoo boy did Gallo just go full Chris Davis here. He should probably not play baseball anymore. I do agree that their scouting department does a really good job. Their prospects, at least in the past, got a bit of a bump hype-wise from being in the Yankees system because of the massive amount of media that covers the team.

It’s hard not to like Mancini. I would have preferred he go to a contender in the NL, but that’s life. If he has some heroics against the Yanks in the post-season it’ll probably come at the expense of Montas. You can bet the farm that the snarky negativity expressed earlier in this thread will be on display again if my support of the newest Yankee starter has a boom goes the dynamite moment…lol. 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, UpperWestside said:

Hoo boy did Gallo just go full Chris Davis here. He should probably not play baseball anymore. I do agree that their scouting department does a really good job. Their prospects, at least in the past, got a bit of a bump hype-wise from being in the Yankees system because of the massive amount of media that covers the team.

It’s hard not to like Mancini. I would have preferred he go to a contender in the NL, but that’s life. If he has some heroics against the Yanks in the post-season it’ll probably come at the expense of Montas. You can bet the farm that the snarky negativity expressed earlier in this thread will be on display again if my support of the newest Yankee starter has a boom goes the dynamite moment…lol. 

You could have gone the rest of our lives without uttering “Chris Davis” … 🤬

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, UpperWestside said:

I remember watching him flail at pitches like he was trying to get back to the dugout ASAP back in 2019. What a spectacle that was to watch.

There you go again … pickin’ scabs.

Can’t remember all of the names I yelled at him watching on TV.  Oxygen thief was about the cleanest …

41 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

I love the way the Padres go for it. It might not always work out but that front of office has a lot of try in it. 

I guess it’s fun to watch.   Hasn't been very successful, though - at least when measured by post-season success.    Padres are my second team, so I’d love to see it come together.  

33 minutes ago, Helobious said:

This is a hilarious read if you need a laugh this morning. Yeah we feel so bad for you as you get paid millions to swing and miss at a ball. Fuck off and don’t come back, bitch. 

Yeah.  It’s frickin’ hilarious that Yankee fans mindfuck their own struggling players into complete ineptitude.   

• Hook 'Em 3

Just now, Helobious said:

Bell & Soto to the Padres. And they still won’t do better than the wild card round.

Don’t be so sure.  That lineup just turned damn salty.  Solid rotation with an improved bullpen.  They outclass everyone in the NL but LA and NY, so they should roll in the WC round and have a puncher’s chance the rest of the way.  

7 minutes ago, Guadaloopy said:

Don’t be so sure.  That lineup just turned damn salty.  Solid rotation with an improved bullpen.  They outclass everyone in the NL but LA and NY, so they should roll in the WC round and have a puncher’s chance the rest of the way.  

Yep. Tatis, Soto, Machado and Bell in the middle of the lineup is very salty. 
Post trade deadline roster

Edited by TonyTexas
  • Like 1

They’re still the padres. They’re like the twins or angels. It doesn’t matter who they have, they won’t win shit. Tatis Jr isn’t even going to play this season. Machado can’t be counted on in the playoffs. So you’re left with a barely above average lineup & pitching. It’s not enough to carry them. 

3 minutes ago, Helobious said:

They’re still the padres. They’re like the twins or angels. It doesn’t matter who they have, they won’t win shit. Tatis Jr isn’t even going to play this season. Machado can’t be counted on in the playoffs. So you’re left with a barely above average lineup & pitching. It’s not enough to carry them. 

The Nationals were like that too until they had Soto. (And no, he wasn’t solely responsible for their WS win; teams are often said to be unable to get over the hump, until they do. That is typically more narrative than reality.)

For any single team, of course the odds are that they won’t win the WS. And the Dodgers are probably still better (even if Tatis is playing). But SD will have Soto for 2 more years too. It’s a ballsy move, given what they had to give up, but cool to see them going all in. 

14 minutes ago, Hank Chinaski said:

Soto and Tatis

Uh Tatis was already there .They only "added" Soto. 

Unless you are referring to Tatis coming back from injury in the context of a trade. Even then it's a reach calling both of those the "best two players in the game". 

Edited by The Dog