2022 MLB thread

shadow_operative2.0

7 hours ago, Helobious said:

That Montgomery trade completely fucked the Yankees mentally. I don’t see how the trade isn’t one of the worst in history. Trading an active member of the rotation for a platoon player that is out for the season has to be unprecedented. 

Weren’t you just bemoaning Gallo’s mental midgetry a couple of days ago?  And now the whole team suffers from it?  Can’t they just whip up some Yankee magic?

On 8/1/2022 at 3:26 PM, shadow_operative said:

the brewers need to do with lamet what they did with guys like peralta, burnes, and woodruff, and i expect that's exactly what they'll do. use him in a long relief/swiss army knife role out of the bullpen, and then build him (back) up into a starter. the last time lamet was fully healthy he was pitching like a cy young candidate, and was up above 12 k/9 with one of the best sliders in the game. milwaukee was the perfect place for him to land i. his effort to rehab his career. 

DFA’d today. Just passed 5 years service time last month, so can decline his option & still get full pay if he does go unclaimed. 

31 minutes ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

That was some goddamn impressive baserunning by SF there, holy shit. 

Two straight nights with bases loaded no outs, and zero runs scored.

A quick Google search says you have an 87% chance to score in that scenario.

I picked a bad month to take a break from drinking.

Is this really correct -- the Rockies were the only franchise that didn't make a trade at the deadline?

Every single club in Major League Baseball made at least one trade in the hours leading up to Tuesday’s Major League Baseball trade deadline. Every club except the Colorado Rockies, who were busy hosting a pizza party for their front office.

Yes, seriously.

According to a source in the Rockies organization, the front office was chowing down on pies while every other club in baseball either bettered themselves headed toward October or set themselves up for the future.

“Hahaha, it’s an annual trade deadline tradition to have a pizza party upstairs,” the source told DenverFan. “What were they actually doing? Who the heck knows.”

Most of the baseball world was bewildered by the Rockies lack of movement, with the team in last place, 25 games back of the Dodgers with just over 50 games to play. Yet what Rockies General Manager Bill Schmidt was bemused by was the line of questioning by the media.

“We were also the only club to sign a player to an extension at the deadline; 29 other clubs didn’t sign anybody to an extension,” Schmidt said proudly, wrongly referencing the two-year $19 million deal the club handed to 37-year-old reliever Daniel Bard earlier this week while ignoring the 10-year, $212 million contract the Braves handed out to franchise third baseman Austin Riley and the $100 million contract division foes San Diego dished out to hometown boy Joe Musgrove.

As absurd as all this is, somehow, Schmidt just barely topped Bud Black’s rambling tortured metaphor for the most cringe thing coming out of the organization this week.

“We’re fielding calls. We’ve got some players who are desirable,” the Rockies field manager said. “And I can’t speak to it, but I’ll give you some perspective. Team A might call on one of our players and their front office might say, ‘We like this guy.’ And our front office will say, ‘Well, yeah, he’s a good player; you should be on that player. … But this happens a little bit, too. Hey, you guys have a Range Rover. We’ll take your Range Rover, and we’ll give you our Honda Accord.’ And teams expect you to do that. Why would we do that? ‘How could you not trade your Range Rover?’ Because we might try to keep our Range Rover! Rather than trade it for your Subaru!”

Black went on to say he wasn’t in favor of a sale because it would represent a step back, which is something the Rockies don’t do, according to him. Meanwhile, after a second-place finish in 2018 they’ve finished fourth in each of the last three seasons. A step back—as they’ve continued to watch Range Rovers drive off their lot for nothing in return.

Edited by Beau Vine
  • Hook 'Em 1

That’s why I ignore all the “bandwagon” bullshit. Sure the Yankees do dumb things and I could run the franchise better but at least they try every year. If I was from Denver I’m supposed to support a clown show organization like that, one that doesn’t care about a winning product? Or if I was from Phoenix or Oakland same story? That’s so stupid. It’s a business. 

14 minutes ago, Helobious said:

That’s why I ignore all the “bandwagon” bullshit. Sure the Yankees do dumb things and I could run the franchise better but at least they try every year. If I was from Denver I’m supposed to support a clown show organization like that, one that doesn’t care about a winning product? Or if I was from Phoenix or Oakland same story? That’s so stupid. It’s a business. 

1 hour ago, Guadaloopy said:

I sometimes think that Helo is completely genuine, but then he says things like he could hit better than Gallo or GM better than  Cashman and think that he must be playing a Futureman-like character for the baseball board.  

I thought the sarcasm there was clear but maybe not. Of course I couldn’t literally run an MLB team better than Cashman. That wasn’t the point. 

The Gallo thing was neither sarcasm nor far fetched. Give me 100-200 MLB pitches I would probably get more hits than him. They’d all be singles obviously but I’d still outhit him 6/10 times probably. I’m not the only one on this board even that could do it. That’s how shitty of a player he is. Numbers speak for themselves. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Helobious said:

The Yankees have double the payroll of all but a handful of teams in the MLB. 

More teams would “try” if they had $120 million annually to add to their current payroll. At least they aren’t the cubs 

36 minutes ago, Helobious said:

I thought the sarcasm there was clear but maybe not. Of course I couldn’t literally run an MLB team better than Cashman. That wasn’t the point. 

The Gallo thing was neither sarcasm nor far fetched. Give me 100-200 MLB pitches I would probably get more hits than him. They’d all be singles obviously but I’d still outhit him 6/10 times probably. I’m not the only one on this board even that could do it. That’s how shitty of a player he is. Numbers speak for themselves. 

31syij0f6sq61.png?auto=webp&s=3ac1798796

• Hook 'Em 1

47 minutes ago, Helobious said:

you are why everyone hates young people....because y'all are stupid as fuck 

• Hook 'Em 1

Amazing what steriods did for a no talent nobody like him. 

Lulz at Yankee fan calling out anyone for PEDs.  “No talent” Gonzalez was an established .270/.420/.750 hitter and a 2+ WAR per year player before he roided.  Hats off to him since he started the tradition of players with an Astro pedigree killing Yankee postseason dreams. 

29 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

@Helobious I want some clarification . How many batted balls that are actually hits against a competent defense are you saying you’d get in 100 pitches from a big league pitcher?

7-8, 10 if I’m lucky. When you choke way up on the bat and shorten your swing it’s really not that impossible to make contact, on basically anything. The ball won’t go anywhere which is why no one does that. I’m not talking about taking hacks like those high schoolers vs Bauer. But out of 100 times yeah I think I’d poke a handful through the defense, while Gallo flails helplessly trying to hit it 500 feet. I’ve still got some wheels too so infield singles are a possibility. I’m done talking about this.

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Helobious said:

7-8, 10 if I’m lucky. When you choke way up on the bat and shorten your swing it’s really not that impossible to make contact, on basically anything. The ball won’t go anywhere which is why no one does that. I’m not talking about taking hacks like those high schoolers vs Bauer. But out of 100 times yeah I think I’d poke a handful through the defense, while Gallo flails helplessly trying to hit it 500 feet. I’ve still got some wheels too so infield singles are a possibility. I’m done talking about this.

You:

image.png.e235fb33f5b1d5746b7b44263775c022.png

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

Ok. The average AB is 5 pitches meaning 100 pitches would constitute 20 at bats. That means your batting average, by your own estimate, would be between .350 and .500. Where’s your bust at Cooperstown?

Well adjust it 100 ABs then, I’m saying 5-10 hits. Better than Gallo could do.  Hardly an outrageous claim and it’s not like I’m saying I’d ever homer or even hit one deep in the outfield. 

6 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Well adjust it 100 ABs then, I’m saying 5-10 hits. Better than Gallo could do.  Hardly an outrageous claim and it’s not like I’m saying I’d ever homer or even hit one deep in the outfield. 

Gallo is batting .159 this season.   Gonna need you to pump up your numbers a bit from your quoted .050/.100.  Shame that the rest of us on the baseball boards are subjected to your idiocy on a daily basis.

Well yeah, I mean OBVIOUSLY all of your many hits against MLB pitchers would be singles.

1 hour ago, Helobious said:

Math is hard, apparently.

Would you say you’re better at it or hitting a baseball?

Edited by formermav43
  • Haha 1