2022 MLB thread

shadow_operative2.0

7 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Never heard of him until now. I know who the orioles are though and they aren’t turning the corner anytime soon.

He was instrumental in putting together the team that became the Yankees’ daddy. With him at the helm, the O’s might turn into their stepdad. 

42 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Never heard of him until now. I know who the orioles are though and they aren’t turning the corner anytime soon.

I find it unlikely the Os get worse next year. Sure they might not be on their way to the AL East title but they should be good for awhile. At least until our cheap ownership cuts salary and they rebuild agaib.

5 hours ago, Helobious said:

I missed that the Yankees added Chi Chi Gonzalez to the MLB roster yesterday. Is he eligible for the postseason? He could definitely swing a series with his pitching ability. 

swing the series for the other team ..

9-24 5.66 era 1.49 whip

hahahaha

Edited by tx 3 putt
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, dcar00 said:

Pujols really should come back and pass the Babe.  his gut(literally) is saying he is done though.

the only other question is which douchenozzle baseball writer is gonna not vote him in 1st ballot so Rivera can be the only one.

heh, we were thinking the same thing.  ow that Mo, a relief pitcher for chrissakes, has gone in unaimoisly, surely Albert will too. and at this point Miggy probably should too. the trend of omitting guys year one "because reasons" needs to die swiftly and permanently. 

I am hopeful that as newer generation (and more analytically inclined) writers make up more and more of the electorate, some of these idiotic customs will die off. Pujols is obviously a HOFer, he has been since he left the Cardinals (it didn’t matter what he did for the Angels, which basically amounted to padding his HR and RBI totals). The idea that he “shouldn’t” be unanimous because he’s not the best player ever is asinine. You either think the guy is a HOFer or you don’t. Nobody could reasonably argue that Pujols isn’t. (And yeah, I get that voters have sometimes not voted for guys who they know will get in so that they can vote for others that will get less support, but that was largely around the logjam from a few years ago.)

13 minutes ago, Hank Chinaski said:

I am hopeful that as newer generation (and more analytically inclined) writers make up more and more of the electorate, some of these idiotic customs will die off. Pujols is obviously a HOFer, he has been since he left the Cardinals (it didn’t matter what he did for the Angels, which basically amounted to padding his HR and RBI totals). The idea that he “shouldn’t” be unanimous because he’s not the best player ever is asinine. You either think the guy is a HOFer or you don’t. Nobody could reasonably argue that Pujols isn’t. (And yeah, I get that voters have sometimes not voted for guys who they know will get in so that they can vote for others that will get less support, but that was largely around the logjam from a few years ago.)

I wish this weren't an issue.  I wish people didn't vote this way and I wish people didn't care. 

To me, it's like the old joke: "What do you call the guy who graduates last in his med school class?"

But as long as a voter's ballot is limited to 10 names, there are perfectly good reasons for someone to not vote for a guy like Pujols.

• Hook 'Em 1

I wish this weren't an issue.  I wish people didn't vote this way and I wish people didn't care. 
To me, it's like the old joke: "What do you call the guy who graduates last in his med school class?"
But as long as a voter's ballot is limited to 10 names, there are perfectly good reasons for someone to not vote for a guy like Pujols.

This. Trying to avoid unanimity because Ruth, Mays, whatever weren’t unanimous is dumb, but if I think 11 guys are worthy, I’m gonna leave of the guy who doesn’t need my vote to get over the top.

Are voters just checking (up to) 10 boxes, or do they have to rank their choices?  If it's the latter, anyone who can't see Pujols in the top 10 is an idiot and an asshat to boot.  If it's just "pick up to 10", at their discretion, then unanimity doesnt' seem terribly important.  First ballot, yes, he deserves that.

9 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Are voters just checking (up to) 10 boxes, or do they have to rank their choices?  If it's the latter, anyone who can't see Pujols in the top 10 is an idiot and an asshat to boot.  If it's just "pick up to 10", at their discretion, then unanimity doesnt' seem terribly important.  First ballot, yes, he deserves that.

no rank. just up to 10 boxes.  it seems not terribly important except the media makes a big deal out of it.  my guess is Pujols won't give a rip but it just hilarious that a Yankee reliever is the only guy to have it happen to.

yes some guys give a vote to someone they know isn't getting in to try to keep them above the line to stay on the ballot.  

9 hours ago, Hank Chinaski said:

(it didn’t matter what he did for the Angels, which basically amounted to padding his HR and RBI totals)

What he did this season could get him closer to being a unanimous selection, though. 150 OPS+ in 300 AB at 42 is pretty legendary.