2022 MLB thread

shadow_operative2.0

4 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Wut?

I mean, there was some speculation back then, but it was almost entirely ignored. People loved both guys and were all-in on the HR chase. 

4 hours ago, Guadaloopy said:

Right?  How could anyone forget the whole “andro” situation in the middle of the ‘98 chase?  That was ground zero for the PED controversy that was to come.  

Yeah, the andro thing…in 1998, that wasn’t a banned substance and anybody could buy andro at the grocery store. I remember the reporter asking McGwire about it in his locker, but there was no reason he shouldn’t have had it.

29 minutes ago, Hank Chinaski said:

I mean, there was some speculation back then, but it was almost entirely ignored. People loved both guys and were all-in on the HR chase. 

Yeah, the andro thing…in 1998, that wasn’t a banned substance and anybody could buy andro at the grocery store. I remember the reporter asking McGwire about it in his locker, but there was no reason he shouldn’t have had it.

I'm woefully ignorant of supplements and PEDs, but wasn't the andro a "precursor" or some such related to steroids?

30 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I'm woefully ignorant of supplements and PEDs, but wasn't the andro a "precursor" or some such related to steroids?

Yeah, plays a role in the production of testosterone. Back in the 90s it was available to anyone anywhere. But yeah, McGwire or any player having it didn’t seem like a big deal because it was just a supplement, not banned by MLB (it was banned in 2004) nor illegal. It was reclassified from dietary supplement to anabolic steroid in 2005.

Edited by Hank Chinaski
  • Hook 'Em 1

21 hours ago, Guadaloopy said:

Right?  How could anyone forget the whole “andro” situation in the middle of the ‘98 chase?  That was ground zero for the PED controversy that was to come.  

There were questions as it was happening but they were mostly drowned out by the hype from espn et al about how awesome it all was.

• Hook 'Em 1

33 minutes ago, WBT said:

There are some good gifs in this article on best throwing arms of the year.

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/lets-admire-some-of-the-strongest-arms-in-baseball/

It's a really SSS but I'm excited to see what Nick Eaton can do for KC. They played him at 3B several times and he didn't look comfortable there. It looks like he can play any  of the OF spots but RF would make the most sense. He appears to be a natural there. Course, it's KC so sense hasn't factored in lately. I'm looking forward to the new regime and what they do with kids like Eaton.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 8/6/2022 at 10:47 PM, Sbbruin said:

Dodgers about to go 31 games over .500. Will anyone admit this is a pretty good team?

On 8/6/2022 at 11:04 PM, Fudge Nuggets said:

It's a real good team.  Good luck winning your pennant.

On 8/6/2022 at 11:21 PM, Sbbruin said:

We are the best team in baseball. Anyone who argues that is wrong. Will we win it all?who knows.

On 8/6/2022 at 11:27 PM, Fudge Nuggets said:

You won't.  We all know.

Because...

BNG-L-GIANTS-0904-10.jpg?w=525

Ahem.....

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

On 10/16/2022 at 4:48 AM, kevwun said:

Maybe if the Dodgers add another 50 million to their payroll, they'll make it to the NLCS next year.

https://www.mlb.com/news/mookie-betts-second-base-aaron-judge-dodgers

According to sources, the Dodgers could become serious players in this offseason’s Aaron Judge sweepstakes, a move that would potentially result in a position change for Betts, a six-time All-Star outfielder.

Should the Dodgers decide to let the likes of Trea Turner, Justin Turner (club option), Craig Kimbrel and Joey Gallo (among others), leave as free agents, they could have roughly $100 million coming off the payroll, giving them ample space to make a bid for Judge.

16 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

Hmmm. If it is a choice between singing T Turner and Judge…what would you rather have, @Sbbruin? I’d guess that Turner will cost less, thereby allowing for more payroll flexibility. You’ve probably got to prioritize extending Smith soon, and maybe some of the young pitchers. 

Maybe the Dodgers don’t care and it wouldn’t make a big difference, but are they really going to keep paying more and more of those luxury taxes and dramatically exceeding the soft cap every year?

assuming they keep payroll around where it is, what makes more sense - Judge or Turner (at, presumably, something like 60-75% of the cost)?

Edited by Hank Chinaski

1 hour ago, Hank Chinaski said:

Hmmm. If it is a choice between singing T Turner and Judge…what would you rather have, @Sbbruin? I’d guess that Turner will cost less, thereby allowing for more payroll flexibility. You’ve probably got to prioritize extending Smith soon, and maybe some of the young pitchers. 

Maybe the Dodgers don’t care and it wouldn’t make a big difference, but are they really going to keep paying more and more of those luxury taxes and dramatically exceeding the soft cap every year?

assuming they keep payroll around where it is, what makes more sense - Judge or Turner (at, presumably, something like 60-75% of the cost)?

Honestly I don’t see us signing Judge.  I would rather sign T Turner and a frontline starter (not entirely sold on DeGrom’s durability though).  We don’t need much.