2022 MLB thread

shadow_operative2.0

12 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

I've been saying all along that the angels need to steal signs and bang on a dugout trashcan like cheating scumbag trash cocksuckers, but they don't seem to listen.

I mean, they probably were.

Spoiler

Bassitt stated that the Astros were not the only team “doing stuff” to advance their play in that last couple years. The hurler explained how illegal sign-stealing has been an issue league wide as well.

Bassitt mentioned that the reason not a lot of players and teams were speaking out at the time was because they were conducting similar methods of cheating. The right-hander also said that MLB knew about sign-stealing in baseball and elected to keep quiet about it.

“I think it’s a bigger media story than player story, honestly,” Chris Bassitt told Danielle Learner of the Houston Chronicle at the ’21 All-Star Game. “It wasn’t just the Astros. So it is what it is. Obviously, I have teammates who played with them. I know how good of people those guys are. They were stuck in a bad situation. So yeah, I think it’s a massive media thing, but from a player standpoint, I think a lot of people are kinda over it.”

Spoiler

Souza mentioned that he doesn’t deny the report on the Astros’ 2017 sign-stealing scandal, but that the Astros were the “scape goat for the rest of the league.” The outfielder understands the disappointment that fanbases may have, but according to Souza, fans are “dead wrong” to believe the Astros were the only team illegally stealing signs.

More than half of MLB illegally stole signs, according to Souza. While he won’t mention the teams that were also participating in the act, he did say it wasn’t just the Astros and the Boston Red Sox, which many Astros faithful believe and back to date.

Souza adds to the growing list of major leaguers, who have pointed out that the Astros were not the only team stealing signs over the last five seasons.

“I hear you but if you only knew how many teams were doing it you wouldn’t be as mad at Jose Altuve,” Souza said in response to a Seattle Mariners fan.

Spoiler

Add Chris Sale to the list of baseball players who say the Houston Astros weren't the only team illegally stealing signs back in 2017. On Boston radio's The Greg Hill Show, the Red Sox pitcher said people still talking about the Astros cheating should look at what their team was doing.

“I don't know, man, Here's the thing, and I’m going to give you my honest opinion: If the Astros were the only team doing it, then yeah. Give it back. Take it back. I know for a fact they weren’t,” Sale said on the WEEI morning show Monday. “All these people pointing fingers, well, hey, take a check in the mirror real quick. Make sure you and your team weren’t doing something.

"And what they did was wrong, and I'm not trying to condone it. but, shoot, we're talking five years ago now, and we're still talking about this stuff. I'd like to kind of turn the page on it, but it happened, they dealt with it, there's nothing you can really do about it now sitting here where we are, so you just kind of move on from it."

Spoiler

Gattis, who said he and his teammates believed they were just keeping up with what most of the other contending teams already were doing, also said it was no secret around the league what the Astros were doing, especially after White Sox pitcher Danny Farquhar let the Astros dugout know he could hear the bangingwhile he was on the mound during a game in 2017. Gattis said the only reason no team spoke out at the time about the Astros' system is because they didn't want Major League Baseball to look into what they were doing on their side of the field.

He said that's why his former teammates took offense to players from other teams - like the Dodgers' Cody Bellinger - saying the Astros didn't earn their World Series title.

"There’s people in our clubhouse who have had to call other people from the Dodgers clubhouse and say, 'Hey you need to clean up your shit, because, yo, we know, bro. Why you gotta be like that?,'" Gattis said 

Earlier in the podcast, Gattis had similar things to say about the Dodgers being up in arms about what the Astros were doing.

"Everybody has a system," Gattis said. "Everybody knows a buddy that has a buddy that’s on the Dodgers in the baseball world. It’s like, 'Yo, we know, so you guys got to kind of chill out with that shit.'"

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Houston has been up 6-3 since the 3rd and NYY just tied it with a 3 run shot with 0 outs. 

Hicks tied it. One of the worst players in baseball this year. If Gallo ends it it’s a sign from god the Yankees are winning it all this year.

1 minute ago, Helobious said:

Yankees are 21-18 in games they’ve trailed in at any point in this season. Only MLB team with a winning record in such scenarios.

Yeah that's ridiculous. It means that you probably aren't quite as good as your record but you definitely have a solid team this season. 

4 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Yeah that's ridiculous. It means that you probably aren't quite as good as your record but you definitely have a solid team this season. 

12 of their 18 losses are by 2 runs or less, I could argue they’re even better than their record.

Just now, Helobious said:

12 of their 18 losses are by 2 runs or less, I could argue they’re even better than their record.

Well of course you could because you're a fucking Yankees fan.

Do you think that you're the best regular season team in MLB history? Because that's what your % is right now. Personally I find that somewhat unlikely. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Helobious said:

They’re also 16-6 in 1-run games. Those tend to even out (though not always; seems like the Rangers had an extraordinarily good record in 1-run games one year…maybe 2015 or 2016?).

Then again, their Pythagorean expected win total is just about where they actually are, so it’s not like you can attribute their performance to date to luck. 

Just now, Hank Chinaski said:

Then again, their Pythagorean expected win total is just about where they actually are, so it’s not like you can attribute their performance to date to luck. 

I don't think anyone is disagreeing that they've been killing it (except that one dude from a couple weeks back) I just think it's unlikely that they win 120 games. Probably because it's never happened. 

6 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I don't think anyone is disagreeing that they've been killing it (except that one dude from a couple weeks back) I just think it's unlikely that they win 120 games. Probably because it's never happened. 

Oh yeah, agreed…it is unlikely. The 2001 Mariners team that won 116 games sort of had a similar run that lasted the whole season. 

3 hours ago, Scraps said:

@Sbbruin just saw this....get you a "putter cover"

3370749f17058313ed2e5fdee7fb0ab7.jpg

Does it come in XXL?

Freddie coming home to Atlanta tonight.  Getting his ring.  Should be pretty emotional for him.

edit, couldn't even start his media presser

Edited by Sbbruin

Cleveland down 4 have 2 men on, so the tying run is on deck.  On an inside pitch that may or may not have grazed his jersey, the ump pointed toward 1st and Myles Straw and his .550 OPS tried to say it didn't hit him.  Wtf?

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, WBT said:

Cleveland down 4 have 2 men on, so the tying run is on deck.  On an inside pitch that may or may not have grazed his jersey, the ump pointed toward 1st and Myles Straw and his .550 OPS tried to say it didn't hit him.  Wtf?

Myles ain't bright.

• Hook 'Em 2