2022 MLB thread

shadow_operative2.0

Jesus fucking shit, now this is racist. 

After a brief exchange between the coaches, Richardson said Shildt, who is white, yelled, "You need to control that motherf---er" to the Giants' dugout, which prompted Richardson's reaction and ultimately his ejection by umpire Greg Gibson.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/33729248/san-francisco-giants-coach-antoan-richardson-accuses-mike-shildt-yelling-expletive-reeked-undertones-racism

13 minutes ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

I think it's a reach to say "you need to control that motherfucker" is somehow loaded with racist undertones.

• Like 1

Y'all aren't actually missing the part where he yelled at the white guys that they needed to control the black guy, right? It's a bit?

I can see that there could have been no racist intent but you should try telling a man he needs to "control that psycho" about his wife and then try to convince her there are no sexist undertones. 

1 hour ago, Guadaloopy said:

Hats, jerseys, socks… yes.  I just wish they would have gone with white or grey pants.  I hate the monochromatic look with jersey and pants the same.

If the Astros want to connect to their city they should just wear the rainbow unis for a series. 

• Hook 'Em 1

The DH fucking sucks. Watched an NL DH at home last night in a "normal" season for the first time. Complete travesty, his awesome name notwithstanding. 

For everyone who cries about pitchers hitting, I have a superior solution. Three words. 

Eight. Man. Lineup. 

It will never happen but if the rule that to hit you have to play the field isn't sacrosanct then why is the 9 man lineup? To me allowing some guy to hit without ever having to play defense is a much worse bastardization of the game. Make it an eight man lineup and you can choose one guy who doesn't hit. Starting Ohtani on the hill? Start a good defender in RF, he doesn't hit, then when Ohtani is relieved you defensively replace that guy with a pitcher instead of Ohtani.

With my plan the best hitters hit more often, too. That's what everyone wanted to see, right? Plate appearances by good hitters? 

Designated Fielder >>>>> Designated Hitter

Edited by Huckleberry
  • Hook 'Em 2

it's not nearly as egregious, but earlier in the day the Guardians decided to pull Triston McKenzie after this line:

4 IP, 3 H, 0 BB, 6 K, 67 pitches, 50 for strikes. Guardians were up 6-0. didn't even let him go for the win. 

modern baseball is really starting to irritate me. i enjoyed the steroid era a lot more than i do than whatever this is.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

it's not nearly as egregious, but earlier in the day the Guardians decided to pull Triston McKenzie after this line:

4 IP, 3 H, 0 BB, 6 K, 67 pitches, 50 for strikes. Guardians were up 6-0. didn't even let him go for the win. 

modern baseball is really starting to irritate me. i enjoyed the steroid era a lot more than i do than whatever this is.

The Win rule needs to be revisited

3 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

You can guess how surprised I am that the posts against the idea both contained zero actual arguments. 

Maybe people don't want to argue with this extremely erudite thesis statement:

The DH fucking sucks. Watched an NL DH at home last night in a "normal" season for the first time. Complete travesty, his awesome name notwithstanding. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

Giancarlo just came in as a PH and smacked one, and the entire stadium thought it was gone...until it landed in Raimel Tapia's glove, several feet short of the fence. it was great.

He does great tweets everytime something “unfortunate” happens to them

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

For everyone who cries about pitchers hitting, I have a superior solution. Three words. 

Eight. Man. Lineup. 

It will never happen but if the rule that to hit you have to play the field isn't sacrosanct then why is the 9 man lineup? To me allowing some guy to hit without ever having to play defense is a much worse bastardization of the game. Make it an eight man lineup and you can choose one guy who doesn't hit. Starting Ohtani on the hill? Start a good defender in RF, he doesn't hit, then when Ohtani is relieved you defensively replace that guy with a pitcher instead of Ohtani.

With my plan the best hitters hit more often, too. That's what everyone wanted to see, right? Plate appearances by good hitters? 

Designated Fielder >>>>> Designated Hitter

Why do anti-DHers make such a big deal about the “sanctity” of that old rule? Some of baseballs original rules included required underhand pitching, batters requesting their strike zone, and batted balls caught off one bounce counting as outs. Why was it ok to abandon those rules but not the every fielder bats one? 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, Helobious said:

Why do anti-DHers make such a big deal about the “sanctity” of that old rule? Some of baseballs original rules included required underhand pitching, batters requesting their strike zone, and batted balls caught off one bounce counting as outs. Why was it ok to abandon those rules but not the every fielder bats one? 

Not necessarily phrased well, but I'm saying that if we grant that the rules aren't sacrosanct then why is a 9 man lineup a requirement? The only reason there was a 9 man lineup was because the 9 guys in the field all hit. And if you're going to say that "hey, these guys suck at hitting 99% of the time, they shouldn't hit" then the cleanest solution is, okay, those guys don't hit. Bringing in some other guy to hit instead was completely unnecessary.

13 minutes ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

Huck legitimately posted a thread saying he hadn’t watched MLB for a decade.

He asked who to follow. It was sad. 

I must have been drunk because I don't remember that. Depending on timing, I probably was drunk. I do remember posting and asking who my new NL team should be, which was the Padres in the end.