2022 MLB thread

shadow_operative2.0

1 hour ago, Helobious said:

I can’t think of anything more “derivative and played out” than an AC/DC song.

Fwiw Enter Sandman wasn’t Rivera’s idea. He said he didn’t even care if they played music or not when he ran out, Yankee stadium people tried out a few songs until finding that one got the most buzz from the crowd. 

Derivative of what?

6 hours ago, Guadaloopy said:

This is cool and all, but the GOAT is and always will be Hoffman’s Hell’s Bells.  And a preemptive “GTFO” to Helo who will argue Rivera’s “Enter Sandman” which was derivative and played out.  

i ran into trevor hoffman in the atlanta airport a few years back, the summer before he was inducted into the HOF. nice, humble guy, and still built like a rock. he looked like he could start a new career in mma, lol. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Jshep34 said:

Billy wagner was using enter sandman before Mariano.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I have a vivid memory of Billy Wagner entering a game in the Astrodome to that western whistle-y showdown music (i.e. Billy the kid)... but apparently I guess I've completely fabricated that.

Oh well, fuck it, woulda been awesome.  His loss.

ive always said that if i were an mlb player (hitter), that on road trips i would choose 3-4 different walk up songs, all from local artists. so if i was in atlanta i'd go outkast, goodie mob, slimm calhoun; if i were in houston i'd go geto boys, ugk, and cory morrow, etc.

Edited by shadow_operative

1 hour ago, Chuckie Finster said:

I have a vivid memory of Billy Wagner entering a game in the Astrodome to that western whistle-y showdown music (i.e. Billy the kid)... but apparently I guess I've completely fabricated that.

Oh well, fuck it, woulda been awesome.  His loss.

He briefly used George Strait’s “The Fireman” early in his career, it’s in one of those linked articles.

• Like 1

On 7/29/2022 at 10:24 PM, Helobious said:

Luis Castillo to mariners. What a letdown. I don’t care what their record is, they’re one of those teams you can just tell will be a non-factor in the postseason. 

You sure do have a knack for this.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

The thread in ABTB about @Helobious is really stupid but yesterday is a perfect example of why it was created. Helobius makes a clearly factually incorrect statement (re: Chapman being the first to use Enter Sandman) trying to correct someone, is shown using several sources that he is wrong, and then just ignores the correction. I am not sure he has ever posted "oh, I didn't realize that, thanks". For someone as wrong as he often is, this is the most tiresome bit.

31 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Irony: strong to quite strong. 

While funny that I brain-farted and meant Rivera, this isn't quite having rain on your wedding day. Being wrong is one thing - half the posts on this board (at least), including mine, are wrong in all sorts of ways. But yes, I definitely named the wrong dude, and yes, you definitely ignored the correction as you always do.

25 minutes ago, Serak The Preparer said:

While funny that I brain-farted and meant Rivera, this isn't quite having rain on your wedding day. Being wrong is one thing - half the posts on this board (at least), including mine, are wrong in all sorts of ways. But yes, I definitely named the wrong dude, and yes, you definitely ignored the correction as you always do.

I admit that it appears Wagner used the Metallica song a couple years before Rivera did. As someone who prides myself on knowing the walkout songs of closers in the late 1990s it was just hard to accept I could be wrong.