2022 MLB thread

shadow_operative2.0

1 hour ago, Pam Cummings said:

It's crazy to me how people just straight up don't respect Bonds' record. Yet Tom Brady plays in the NFL when he's 45 and nobody bats an eye. Nothing fishy, no questions. And obviously NFL players use PEDs. And we all just sort of accept it. You can't tell me there aren't MLB stars using right now.

People like to take meaningless stands so they can pretend they have high integrity. I believe its one of the qualifying requirements to be a baseball writer. Athletes in every major sport have been "supplementing" their care and upkeep for extra juice since the beginning of time. The game itself has altered the ball through the years, changed the mound height, etc. Every era is its own era. And Barry Bonds was the greatest home run hitter (and baseball player) of his era. His era happened to include a very live ball and some advanced supplementing. 73 and 762 are just as legitimate as any other record in sports.

Congratulations to A-Aron. He holds a Yankee and American League record and the 7th highest total in MLB history.

Edited by Herpa Derpa
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Pam Cummings said:

It's crazy to me how people just straight up don't respect Bonds' record. Yet Tom Brady plays in the NFL when he's 45 and nobody bats an eye. Nothing fishy, no questions. And obviously NFL players use PEDs. And we all just sort of accept it. You can't tell me there aren't MLB stars using right now.

People don’t give a shit if NFL players use PEDs. They just don’t. It doesn’t sully anyone’s reputation, etc. It’s really just a baseball thing.

Secondly, nobody liked Bonds. He always came across as a prick. Baseball writers have a long history of creating narratives around guys that don’t kiss their asses, and that was probably part of it; Barry was probably also just a bit of a prick.

There was suspicion around him while he was breaking the record, which somehow wasn’t really a thing for McGwire or Sosa 3 years prior. And the fact that he set the mark just 3 years later meant his chase lacked the same type of enthusiasm anyway.

But yeah, it’s still the record. Just because people don’t respect a record or wish someone else had it under different circumstances doesn’t mean that you just get to pretend it isn’t the record. MLB didn’t test for anything back then. By 2001 everyone knew it was an issue, and MLB didn’t do anything. Don’t be mad at Bonds just because he was head and shoulders better than everyone else in that era. 

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, Helobious said:

All the same people that think Bonds record is perfectly legit will turn right around and say that no Yankee World Series titles before 1977 should really count for blah blah blah reasons.

well there are some people who think all the homer records during the steroid era (mid 90's to late 00's) shouldn't count, but the world series winning teams are perfectly legit even if they had known roiders on their rosters.  vmmv.

20 hours ago, Helobious said:

Cole sets the Yankee single season record for strikeouts. As if Astros fans “he was only ever good because of spidertack” narrative needed any more blows.

i'll eat crow here and say that once spider tack was outlawed, i thought cole would go back to being a 3.50 era type of pitcher.

I’m on vacation right now and out of sync with the normal daily baseball flow, so I just want to make sure that I’m getting things right.  With all the knob-slobbing about Judge and Cole setting records in the same game, the Yankees still fucking lost that game?

That’s perfect.

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Guadaloopy said:

I’m on vacation right now and out of sync with the normal daily baseball flow, so I just want to make sure that I’m getting things right.  With all the knob-slobbing about Judge and Cole setting records in the same game, the Yankees still fucking lost that game?

To the Rangers.

• Hook 'Em 1

35 minutes ago, Guadaloopy said:

That’s perfect.

The game meant nothing and judge left after the 1st inning. All that knob slobbing over Biggio’s 3000th hit and he still got thrown out at 2nd base?

Edited by Helobious
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Helobious said:

All the same people that think Bonds record is perfectly legit will turn right around and say that no Yankee World Series titles before 1977 should really count for blah blah blah reasons.

I have no idea what the fuck you're talking about (as usual). I think Bonds' records are perfectly legit and the only illegitimate World Series I know occurred in 1919 between the White Sox and the Red Leggings. Not a fucking Yankee in sight.

41 minutes ago, ztejas said:

So Trout hit 40 homers in 119 games. 

Yup. Between ‘21-‘22, he played in 155 games, hit 48 HR, slugged over .620, about a 175 wRC+…and his K rate spiked to 28%. Will be interesting to see what the rest of his career looks like. He’ll be 31 next season: he obviously remains one of the best hitters in baseball, but hasn’t been able to remain healthy. I don’t think his 30s will be exactly like Griffey’s (at least I hope not), but they could end up with really similar careers arcs (interestingly Griffey also hit 40 HR in his age-30 season, which was his first with the Reds, albeit in more games and in a crazy offensive environment (Trout was much better relative to the league)). 

Edited by Hank Chinaski
  • Hook 'Em 2

7 hours ago, Helobious said:

Kay annoys Yankee fans with his staunch impartiality fwiw. .

yeah.  That always bugs me when watching a sporting event.  "This guy calls it too much down the middle."

1 hour ago, slorch said:

yeah.  That always bugs me when watching a sporting event.  "This guy calls it too much down the middle."

It’s different because he’s the team network broadcaster. It doesn’t bother me but it definitely bothers other fans. It’s jarring watching other team’s broadcasts and hearing how one sided the announcers are. 

15 hours ago, Guadaloopy said:

Vogt homering in his last AB was fun.  

Was reading an article that mentioned he also homered in his first MLB at bat. I thought that must be rare, so I looked up how many people have done the same: Paul Gillespie,John Miller, and Stephen Vogt. That's it out of the 20K+ MLB players in history. Thats pretty cool.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

Welp, a couple more bible-thumpers get tossed out.

https://theathletic.com/3662870/2022/10/05/royals-fire-manager-mike-matheny/

I haven't seen a list of potential replacements yet but I'm hopeful that the criteria for selection won't be church attendance or George Mason alumni. We have a roomful of those guys that have to be next on the chopping block. It was nice leading the league in good husbands, sons and fathers but they couldn't win ballgames.

I wonder if they could just hire Driveline to take over pitching development.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Helobious said:

Whenever I start caring about how I’m perceived on internet message boards I’ll definitely take that advice, thanks. This thread is about to die anyway, it’s playoff series thread time.

Thread is better with you around… funnier at least.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Shoxthemonkey said:

I wonder if they could just hire Driveline to take over pitching development.

The Yankees have already done that basically when they hired Sam Briend and Spencer Medick from Driveline. Results have been good so far. 

Apparently they helped build some lab at the team training complex that they call “the gas station”. All kinds of high tech equipment and cameras inside to help out pitchers with mechanics.

Edited by Helobious

1 hour ago, Guadaloopy said:

Right?  How could anyone forget the whole “andro” situation in the middle of the ‘98 chase?  That was ground zero for the PED controversy that was to come.  

I remember the andro situation.  I also remember people not really caring and the writer who broke the andro story getting flack for "snooping" in McGwire's locker.  

• Hook 'Em 2

Dude who caught Judges ball... seems like he's either living the good life or sold his future for his present...

His wife, former bachelor contestant and now Sports Illustrated Dallas Cowboys and Mavericks reporter:

image.thumb.png.0f84812ac31880f8ff81a73328922b5b.png

From their wedding... money, money... lots of money:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CQHgl-njg8c/?hl=en