Summer, 60th B-Day Recs

TexMex Horn

Wife & I want to travel for a long weekend this Summer (June or Aug). Hobbies include; outdoor physical activities (I.e. golf, hiking, water sports, biking), dining, history & shopping. Around $5K to spend for entire weekend. Prefer 4* hotels.

Thinking Montana/Wyoming area, Upper Atlantic Coast, Lower Atlantic Coast, desert West.

Thanks in advance

I love ski areas during the summer (also during the winter)

Jackson Hole is pretty awesome

Whitefish, MT is great too. A little less of a  tourist-y place (at least it used be)

Fly into Kalispell.

Both will obviously have all your summer activities.

7 minutes ago, TexMex Horn said:

Thanks. Been to Tahoe for skiing. Was in Charleston in 2020, loved it. Not a fisher guy. Still a lot to do in Jackson Hole?

Yeah, you don't have to be a fisher guy to have fun.

Hiking/Biking

Horseback

Golf

Rafting

Definitely good restaurants

Shopping

15 minutes ago, TexMex Horn said:

Best way to get to Maine?

You can fly to Portland pretty easy, depending on where you're starting. Direct flights from anywhere in the east, so if you're leaving from Texas it might require a change somewhere. 

Since you are into history and dining, fly into Boston and do a few days there before heading to Maine.  Portland is an easy 2 hour drive from Boston. 

This. I’d also look at Sea Side, NH on the drive up. Driving in that area is crazy compared to Texas. You blink and you cross a state line.

6 hours ago, Tylerocks said:

I love ski areas during the summer (also during the winter)

Jackson Hole is pretty awesome

Whitefish, MT is great too. A little less of a  tourist-y place (at least it used be)

Fly into Kalispell.

Both will obviously have all your summer activities.

My son in law is from Polson, MT at the south end of Flathead Lake.  I've never been but the pics I've seen from my daughter are amazing...

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, TexMex Horn said:

Any suggestions for lodging? briefly researched VRBO & mountain condos are 400+/night

I'm no help there.  We stayed closer to Yellowstone when we were last there.  I really like Jackson, but it's not inexpensive.

Jackson Hole is great. You can do stuff in town, explore the Tetons, or go over to Yellowstone.

Have you been to Banff? It’s another great option, perhaps one of the most beautiful places I’ve ever been. It’s a nonstop 4 hour flight from Houston to Calgary, then an easy drive into Banff.

And a third option, my personal favorite mountain destination, is Telluride. There are 2.5 hour nonstops HOU-MTJ, then drive about 2 hours down to Telluride. I like that it’s smaller than Jackson and you are right in the mountains as opposed to looking at them from afar.

If I was camping, I would choose a campground in GTNP over Telluride. But for staying in town, give me Telluride over Jackson any day.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

Just got back from Jackson.  Great, but expensive trip. Y-Stone was awesome. Not too touristy. Whitewater rafting was too short. Saw lots of wildlife. But, man, is Jackson pricey. Paid almost $600/night for a barely remodeled 1950's glorified motel.