2022 Property Tax Values are out

WithoutAClue

Question on using ProTax.

My appraisal is up about 50%. I have a homestead exemption so my taxes will go up basically 10%. If Pro Tax gets my appraisal reduced to a 30% increase, do I pay the fee on that 20% decrease even though I technically already don’t pay taxes on it? Or, do they have to get me below my 10% increase to get paid?

Yeah, I know…

giphy.gif

8 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

Question on using ProTax.

My appraisal is up about 50%. I have a homestead exemption so my taxes will go up basically 10%. If Pro Tax gets my appraisal reduced to a 30% increase, do I pay the fee on that 20% decrease even though I technically already don’t pay taxes on it? Or, do they have to get me below my 10% increase to get paid?

ProTax changed their fee structure last year.    depending on which contract you signed you are either paying $150 upfront and if by some miracle you actually get an increase below the 10% homestead threshold, they will apply the $150 fee savings to whatever else you owe them.  Otherwise, they keep the $150 

fee option 2 was for the folks that had them for a while (this was me), where they charge you $50 if they get any reduction in value of your house (even if its nowhere near the homestead savings), or if they do break into the homestead savings level, they get 40% of your actual tax savings (with the obvious $50 fee exception- sort of the old way they charged).   But, for me, there is no way they can save me money anymore, and I am so far below the homestead level, It will be 5 years before I could even start trying to use them again.

56 minutes ago, CleverNickname said:

NW Austin: 414k to 694k. 

And honestly I see a nicer updated version of my home (same approx size) listed at 800k. So yeah... if I put a sign up that said FSBO $700k, I might get that. It was under 200k in 2014, and 330k in 2018.

honestly man, based on what you just typed you might get an $750k-850k actual offer.    even with a better home in that range, shit is fucking bonkers right now.  

• Like 1

Just as a humorous anecdote, one guy who works for me hired a lawyer to set up a living trust for him, since he owns a couple of properties in different states.  Well, she put his Austin residence in there, and Travis county promptly revoked his homestead exemption because it’s now listed as property of the trust. Lol.   Should use a transfer on death deed for your homestead in Texas.  

~100% increase in lakeway. Fuck me. Doesn’t look like they applied my homestead cap. We pulled a permit when we added a covered pergola last year. Did that give them the out to go no lube at all on me? I thought that they were capped at adding value directly associated with the addition?

32 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

~100% increase in lakeway. Fuck me. Doesn’t look like they applied my homestead cap. We pulled a permit when we added a covered pergola last year. Did that give them the out to go no lube at all on me? I thought that they were capped at adding value directly associated with the addition?

Appears that the math is the 10% cap should be applied, then the improvement value is added in whole. TCAD just raised me to market value. I am going to have to protest this myself or I am going to get screwed with the contingency fee with Five Stone. 

18 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Appears that the math is the 10% cap should be applied, then the improvement value is added in whole. TCAD just raised me to market value. I am going to have to protest this myself or I am going to get screwed with the contingency fee with Five Stone. 

If you do an addition/major permitted remodel to your house, they can bypass your homestead exemption and reassess based on it being a "new" house and then reapply the exemption the following year.  Maybe they considered the pergola an addition?

1 hour ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Just as a humorous anecdote, one guy who works for me hired a lawyer to set up a living trust for him, since he owns a couple of properties in different states.  Well, she put his Austin residence in there, and Travis county promptly revoked his homestead exemption because it’s now listed as property of the trust. Lol.   Should use a transfer on death deed for your homestead in Texas.  

I haven’t stuck mine in the trust yet.  But, my lawyer told me if I do the Homestead exemption still applies.  Is that not correct?

• Fuck You 1

19 minutes ago, Atxracer said:

I haven’t stuck mine in the trust yet.  But, my lawyer told me if I do the Homestead exemption still applies.  Is that not correct?

It has to do with filing the correct paperwork with the county.  If I recall he said he had to file an affidavit that he was a rent free resident of the home or something like that.  I’m not a lawyer, but I would still use a TOD deed for your primary residence and name the trust as beneficiary though.  

Edited by Judge Roybeanbag

16 minutes ago, Atxracer said:

Also, just to make sure my thinking is correct.  Using simple dollars, if the house is worth $4, tax value is $3, and capped at $2, probably no reason to do a dispute, right?

You can protest the appraisal in an effort to lower the basis for future butt fvckings.

Example: A house appraised at $500K in 2021 is now $800k in 2022. Protest and get the value down to $700K. Appraisal for 2023 will be

based off the lower starting point of $700K instead of the $800K number. This might save you money down the road. 🤷‍♂️

You can protest the appraisal in an effort to lower the basis for future butt fvckings.
Example: A house appraised at $500K in 2021 is now $800k in 2022. Protest and get the value down to $700K. Appraisal for 2023 will be
based off the lower starting point of $700K instead of the $800K number. This might save you money down the road.

I don’t think the appraisal districts give two shits what the value was last year (as this thread demonstrates). It’s all based on this year‘s comps.

6 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Wait, so if I build an outbuilding in the back yard, they can use that as reason to bring the house up to current value by bypassing the 10% homestead cap?

I believe that this is the relevant section of the Tax law. They can only raise the appraised amount by 10% and then add in the value of the improvement. Seems like this should be a slam dunk protest.  

Sec. 23.23. LIMITATION ON APPRAISED VALUE OF RESIDENCE HOMESTEAD. (a) Notwithstanding the requirements of Section 25.18 and regardless of whether the appraisal office has appraised the property and determined the market value of the property for the tax year, an appraisal office may increase the appraised value of a residence homestead for a tax year to an amount not to exceed the lesser of:

(1) the market value of the property for the most recent tax year that the market value was determined by the appraisal office; or

(2) the sum of:

(A) 10 percent of the appraised value of the property for the preceding tax year;

(B) the appraised value of the property for the preceding tax year; and

(C) the market value of all new improvements to the property.

Spoiler

Sec. 23.23. LIMITATION ON APPRAISED VALUE OF RESIDENCE HOMESTEAD. (a) Notwithstanding the requirements of Section 25.18 and regardless of whether the appraisal office has appraised the property and determined the market value of the property for the tax year, an appraisal office may increase the appraised value of a residence homestead for a tax year to an amount not to exceed the lesser of:

(1) the market value of the property for the most recent tax year that the market value was determined by the appraisal office; or

(2) the sum of:

(A) 10 percent of the appraised value of the property for the preceding tax year;

(b) When appraising a residence homestead, the chief appraiser shall:

(1) appraise the property at its market value; and

(2) include in the appraisal records both the market value of the property and the amount computed under Subsection (a)(2).

(c) The limitation provided by Subsection (a) takes effect as to a residence homestead on January 1 of the tax year following the first tax year the owner qualifies the property for an exemption under Section 11.13. The limitation expires on January 1 of the first tax year that neither the owner of the property when the limitation took effect nor the owner's spouse or surviving spouse qualifies for an exemption under Section 11.13.

(c-1) For purposes of Subsection (c), an owner who receives an exemption as provided by Section 11.42(f) is considered to have qualified the property for the exemption as of January 1 of the tax year following the tax year in which the owner acquired the property.

(d) This section does not apply to property appraised under Subchapter C, D, E, F, or G.

(e) In this section, "new improvement" means an improvement to a residence homestead made after the most recent appraisal of the property that increases the market value of the property and the value of which is not included in the appraised value of the property for the preceding tax year. The term does not include repairs to or ordinary maintenance of an existing structure or the grounds or another feature of the property.

(f) Notwithstanding Subsections (a) and (e) and except as provided by Subdivision (2), an improvement to property that would otherwise constitute a new improvement is not treated as a new improvement if the improvement is a replacement structure for a structure that was rendered uninhabitable or unusable by a casualty or by wind or water damage. For purposes of appraising the property under Subsection (a) in the tax year in which the structure would have constituted a new improvement:

(1) the appraised value the property would have had in the preceding tax year if the casualty or damage had not occurred is considered to be the appraised value of the property for that year, regardless of whether that appraised value exceeds the actual appraised value of the property for that year as limited by Subsection (a); and

(2) the replacement structure is considered to be a new improvement only if:

(A) the square footage of the replacement structure exceeds that of the replaced structure as that structure existed before the casualty or damage occurred; or

(B) the exterior of the replacement structure is of higher quality construction and composition than that of the replaced structure.

(g) In this subsection, "disaster recovery program" means the disaster recovery program administered by the General Land Office or by a political subdivision of this state that is funded with community development block grant disaster recovery money authorized by federal law. Notwithstanding Subsection (f)(2), and only to the extent necessary to satisfy the requirements of the disaster recovery program, a replacement structure described by that subdivision is not considered to be a new improvement if to satisfy the requirements of the disaster recovery program it was necessary that:

(1) the square footage of the replacement structure exceed that of the replaced structure as that structure existed before the casualty or damage occurred; or

(2) the exterior of the replacement structure be of higher quality construction and composition than that of the replaced structure.

Added by Acts 1997, 75th Leg., ch. 1039, Sec. 47, eff. Jan. 1, 1998. Amended by Acts 2003, 78th Leg., ch. 1173, Sec. 9, eff. Jan. 1, 2004.

Amended by:

Acts 2007, 80th Leg., R.S., Ch. 1355 (H.B. 438), Sec. 1, eff. January 1, 2008.

Acts 2009, 81st Leg., R.S., Ch. 359 (H.B. 1257), Sec. 1(d), eff. June 19, 2009.

Acts 2009, 81st Leg., R.S., Ch. 1417 (H.B. 770), Sec. 8, eff. January 1, 2010.

Acts 2013, 83rd Leg., R.S., Ch. 1259 (H.B. 585), Sec. 15, eff. January 1, 2014.

Acts 2019, 86th Leg., R.S., Ch. 24 (S.B. 812), Sec. 1, eff. May 7, 2019.

Acts 2021, 87th Leg., 2nd C.S., Ch. 12 (S.B. 8), Sec. 3, eff. January 1, 2022.

15 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

So this 3.5% tax base increase cap- does that factor in new builds coming online?  Or is it for previously existing tax base?  Wondering if all the new construction could constitute the 3.5% increase. 

What new builds?  There isn't squat for new supply coming aboard, at least that is significant enough.

2 hours ago, Wiler77 said:

Preparing my butthole for what the 2022 appraisal will bring out here in Driftwood.

With all that is going on out there, I have a feeling you need to invest in some lube and anal desensitizer and don't go anywhere near nowthis.  

• Fuck You 1

2 hours ago, WithoutAClue said:

based off the lower starting point of $700K instead of the $800K number. This might save you money down the road. 🤷‍♂️

If you protest, can't that also work against you and they go up too?

• Fuck You 1

2 hours ago, Anastasis said:

I believe that this is the relevant section of the Tax law. They can only raise the appraised amount by 10% and then add in the value of the improvement. Seems like this should be a slam dunk protest.  

(2) the sum of:

Hide contents

(2) the sum of:

(b) When appraising a residence homestead, the chief appraiser shall:

(1) appraise the property at its market value; and

(2) include in the appraisal records both the market value of the property and the amount computed under Subsection (a)(2).

(c) The limitation provided by Subsection (a) takes effect as to a residence homestead on January 1 of the tax year following the first tax year the owner qualifies the property for an exemption under Section 11.13. The limitation expires on January 1 of the first tax year that neither the owner of the property when the limitation took effect nor the owner's spouse or surviving spouse qualifies for an exemption under Section 11.13.

(c-1) For purposes of Subsection (c), an owner who receives an exemption as provided by Section 11.42(f) is considered to have qualified the property for the exemption as of January 1 of the tax year following the tax year in which the owner acquired the property.

(d) This section does not apply to property appraised under Subchapter C, D, E, F, or G.

(e) In this section, "new improvement" means an improvement to a residence homestead made after the most recent appraisal of the property that increases the market value of the property and the value of which is not included in the appraised value of the property for the preceding tax year. The term does not include repairs to or ordinary maintenance of an existing structure or the grounds or another feature of the property.

(f) Notwithstanding Subsections (a) and (e) and except as provided by Subdivision (2), an improvement to property that would otherwise constitute a new improvement is not treated as a new improvement if the improvement is a replacement structure for a structure that was rendered uninhabitable or unusable by a casualty or by wind or water damage. For purposes of appraising the property under Subsection (a) in the tax year in which the structure would have constituted a new improvement:

(1) the appraised value the property would have had in the preceding tax year if the casualty or damage had not occurred is considered to be the appraised value of the property for that year, regardless of whether that appraised value exceeds the actual appraised value of the property for that year as limited by Subsection (a); and

(2) the replacement structure is considered to be a new improvement only if:

(A) the square footage of the replacement structure exceeds that of the replaced structure as that structure existed before the casualty or damage occurred; or

(B) the exterior of the replacement structure is of higher quality construction and composition than that of the replaced structure.

(g) In this subsection, "disaster recovery program" means the disaster recovery program administered by the General Land Office or by a political subdivision of this state that is funded with community development block grant disaster recovery money authorized by federal law. Notwithstanding Subsection (f)(2), and only to the extent necessary to satisfy the requirements of the disaster recovery program, a replacement structure described by that subdivision is not considered to be a new improvement if to satisfy the requirements of the disaster recovery program it was necessary that:

(1) the square footage of the replacement structure exceed that of the replaced structure as that structure existed before the casualty or damage occurred; or

(2) the exterior of the replacement structure be of higher quality construction and composition than that of the replaced structure.

Added by Acts 1997, 75th Leg., ch. 1039, Sec. 47, eff. Jan. 1, 1998. Amended by Acts 2003, 78th Leg., ch. 1173, Sec. 9, eff. Jan. 1, 2004.

Amended by:

Acts 2007, 80th Leg., R.S., Ch. 1355 (H.B. 438), Sec. 1, eff. January 1, 2008.

Acts 2009, 81st Leg., R.S., Ch. 359 (H.B. 1257), Sec. 1(d), eff. June 19, 2009.

Acts 2009, 81st Leg., R.S., Ch. 1417 (H.B. 770), Sec. 8, eff. January 1, 2010.

Acts 2013, 83rd Leg., R.S., Ch. 1259 (H.B. 585), Sec. 15, eff. January 1, 2014.

Acts 2019, 86th Leg., R.S., Ch. 24 (S.B. 812), Sec. 1, eff. May 7, 2019.

Acts 2021, 87th Leg., 2nd C.S., Ch. 12 (S.B. 8), Sec. 3, eff. January 1, 2022.

So is a new 2021 pool a reason to jump assessed value to market value or only addition of the pool value increase to the previous assessed value plus the 10%

3 hours ago, SizzleChest said:

Up 138%. FML.

yeah, i know someone who purchased in late late 2019 and their value is up 130% YoY - up almost exactly $2 million (!!!) from purchase price on a house that sat on the market for over a year with no offers.

5 hours ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

That’s not unusual, you can add it back without a lot of effort.

Just checked online.  We're near Mesa and Steck....went up 33%.
We can afford it, but a metric shitton of folks can't.  This town is turning into San Franciso, affordability-wise, at lightning speed.  It's well past the crisis point.

Get rid of Robin Hood and the bulk of your property tax bill could be cut in half while dramatically increasing school funding.

So - and please don’t laugh at me- in a just system, rates would go down to adjust for the higher values such that revenues remained neutral or had a modest increase in accordance with need.  How difficult would it be to get the PTB in the various governments to make this happen or get it on a prop for vote?

again, it’s not polite to laugh. 

• Haha 1