2022 Property Tax Values are out

WithoutAClue

LOL the informal meeting lady told me that they can't fix my HS exemption issue and that I need to call some other number and wait on hold. Since I had her on the phone I tried to get them to move the market value and they would not budge.  What a clown show. 

I'm probably cancelling my protest. I haven't been able to figure out a good way to reschedule it so I don't have to do it in person and I don't see any place to have an informal hearing on this. I'm not going to get anything knocked down and I don't need the extra stress of "after-work" work on top of the wedding planning work.

Probably easier to regroup and try again next year.

3 hours ago, vtaenz said:

I'm probably cancelling my protest. I haven't been able to figure out a good way to reschedule it so I don't have to do it in person and I don't see any place to have an informal hearing on this. I'm not going to get anything knocked down and I don't need the extra stress of "after-work" work on top of the wedding planning work.

Probably easier to regroup and try again next year.

And this is why you hire that out. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 4/6/2022 at 5:25 PM, bernorange said:

We use O'Conner and I've been surprised at reductions in years where I wasn't expecting anything.  

They got us a reduction, but not enough to lower it within the 10% HS cap.  As a result, they aren't charging me anything.  They only charge me if they get a reduction on my tax bill.

On 5/24/2022 at 5:07 PM, immamac said:

ruh roh, Hays County dun fucked up.

So what's the scorecard on this?  Anyone have a successful protest against HAYS CAD?  Has anyone defeated that uneducated, sloppy, lifetime bureaucrat known as Laura Raven? Or maybe you beat one of her foot soldier goons?

I have a formal hearing in two weeks.  Most years I'm successful as the two blue-haired grannies side with me.  The crooked old boomer guy always does his best to give me heartburn.

If you've been successful, do tell.

4 hours ago, Shaggy3.0 said:

So what's the scorecard on this?  Anyone have a successful protest against HAYS CAD?  Has anyone defeated that uneducated, sloppy, lifetime bureaucrat known as Laura Raven? Or maybe you beat one of her foot soldier goons?

I have a formal hearing in two weeks.  Most years I'm successful as the two blue-haired grannies side with me.  The crooked old boomer guy always does his best to give me heartburn.

If you've been successful, do tell.

I was successful during the informal process. I bought a new construction home in 2021 and they agreed to change the value to the sales price. I just gave them my closing disclosure. My buddy’s FIL was in the same situation. He refused to give them the closing info and lost at the ARB.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 4/6/2022 at 1:34 PM, Armybrat said:

I have heard some not-so-funny anecdotes what a couple of recipient schools spent their recapture windfall $$$$ on..... one renovated their football stadium, another built a water park on their campus. 

My Wilco appraisal went up 10%. Geezer freeze on RRISD taxes and it is homesteaded of course.

Geezer freeze here also.  However property value went up 22%.  Fucking bastards.

1 hour ago, TexEx15 said:

Anyone getting any responses to their protests? Curious what the experiences of others has been.

Insert LOLOLOL gif cause that is basically what o got. The fuckers still have not followed up on my HS issue. I am going to have to end up going down there to have the shit addressed. 

16 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Insert LOLOLOL gif cause that is basically what o got. The fuckers still have not followed up on my HS issue. I am going to have to end up going down there to have the shit addressed. 

I need to follow up as well. Filed it back in April and still pending. Gotta make sure I get the cap next year especially since I was able to get them to change it to the sales price this year.

3 hours ago, TexEx15 said:

Anyone getting any responses to their protests? Curious what the experiences of others has been.

I received a $13K reduction after three rounds of emails with Hays CAD.  I LOL'D them and said I look forward to our formal hearing.

Bought our house August 2020.  Got a great deal, the comps they sent us in 2021 had us at the 5th lowest price per square foot (because the house needed some work and we got a ton of concessions).  2022 value in the comps would put us towards to top of the list with a fat 90% increase.  Pulled our own comps from our realtor and used the price per square foot methodology to justify a 50% increase which also fell in line with what our realtor pulled. Felt pretty confident going into the call.

They didn’t give a shit. Offered me the same value. Going to the panel in 2 weeks probably going to need to get a lawyer. Fuck TCAD.

Preparing for this week's Hays CAD formal hearing.  As mentioned above, I declined their generous $13K market value reduction.  This morning's Hays CAD search for my property reveals they already adjusted the MV -$20K.  They must be high or incompetent or both.  Hays CAD plays games, that's all I can say.

• 1 month later...

Wow. Had a weird situation that I thought I'd share.

Got the statement back in April/May/Whatever. Appraised value jumped up considerably from $420K to $650K. I filed a protest and put in some photos, some comps, etc. Based on my direct neighbors, I was high on a square footage basis compared to them. Honestly, however, the valuation seemed pretty spot on as to what the house would sell for. From my Excel sheet, I put an estimated value of $591K based on the average of immediate neighbors.

So I put in my evidence, click submit, and there's immediately offer that's like $300 less than what it was appraised for. Needless to say, I reject it.

In the meantime, I got to where I decided that with the value blowing way past the 10% cap, it didn't really make much sense to go through the formal process hearing and deal with it all. I keep meaning to login and cancel the protest.

Then I get an email from them saying they scheduled the hearing for August. I get sidetracked and once again forget to respond to cancel it. Then I get another email last week saying there's been a change. I think, oh shit, I need to cancel that now. The hearing is next week.

So I login, and they are now offering a value of $589K. Still going to get beat over the head with property taxes, but it felt like a win.

31 minutes ago, Kringelbert Fishtybuns said:

Formal protest results TCAD

The good news is they knocked $100k of the valuation.  

Bad news, that still means a 53% bump in appraisal over last year.

I’m in a similar boat. Got about $120k knocked off. Still about 30% higher than 2021 (It was about 47% higher before protest) and my taxes aren’t impacted due to HS cap. 

I’m still glad I protested, as the floor from which they can increase is significantly lower. 

I was able to get my requested value (~$250k off). I went in person and gave a speech channeling Otter from Animal House and it appeared to work pretty well.  Would highly recommend figuring out a way to emotionally connect with the panel members that seem more sympathetic. I bypassed the obviously unsympathetic member, found my guy and got him so worked up in my favor that he convinced the final guy to side with us. I should’ve been a litigator.

I’m in a similar boat. Got about $120k knocked off. Still about 30% higher than 2021 (It was about 47% higher before protest) and my taxes aren’t impacted due to HS cap. 

I’m still glad I protested, as the floor from which they can increase is significantly lower. 

I love these little puzzles to figure out how much somebody’s house costs.
  • Haha 2

Finally got my issue resolved. I've wasted a shit load of my time on hold dealing with these assholes, was passed around by about 4-5 people over the last few months.  Finally got directed to the tax payer liaison, some crotchety old guy who was able to finally direct me where I needed to go.  Net results: No change to market value, but my taxable value was decreased by ~450k, which is where is should have been when issued, but math equations that elementary aged kids can knock out  in 15 seconds are too advanced for TCAD. 

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, CTC2 said:

Texas Pro Tax got mine reduced by over $200K at TCAD.  Still not under the cap.  I really think it is a mistake to not protest every year.  The cumulative effect of not doing it really screws you.

This is where I'm at. I used Five Stone, and I'll be paying them something (since they changed their model to have a minimum even if no tax reduction due to HS cap), but to me it's money well spent since I intend to be in this house until my kids graduate high school at least (and my youngest is only 9 months old), and it will save me taxes years down the road. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Anastasis said:

Didn’t protax move to a pricing model where they charge fees based on amount of appraisal reduction and not taxable value reductions? Seems like those fees could add up for a while before you actually see any tax savings in the future?

Can't speak to ProTax, but Five Stone is either $59, or a percentage in the reduction of taxes. Because go the HS cap, my taxes weren't reduced, even though they were able to knock off over $120K of appraised value. So I paid them $59.00. I think it's money well spent, based on the anticipated future increases. 

10 minutes ago, hornian said:

Can't speak to ProTax, but Five Stone is either $59, or a percentage in the reduction of taxes. Because go the HS cap, my taxes weren't reduced, even though they were able to knock off over $120K of appraised value. So I paid them $59.00. I think it's money well spent, based on the anticipated future increases. 

That is certainly worth it, imo.  I read something on protax (I think) that they were assessing some flat fee amt per 10k reduction in the appraised value.

HEre it is from their site:

How much does your service cost? (New for 2021)

Texas Protax collects one fee at the end of year. The fee is based on our performance. For residential properties, our fee collected at the end of the year is the greater of three fee scenarios:

• The taxable reduction fee is based off of 40% of actual tax dollar savings.
  • For properties with exemptions (EX: Homestead), there is a market value reduction fee calculated IF the market value is reduced but doesn’t beat the capped value ($2.50/$1k value reduction).
  • The minimum fee is $50/parcel.
  • For commercial properties, our standard fee is a contingency 33.33% of actual tax dollar savings.

i mentioned up-thread that I had to let ProTax go this year.  their new fee rate would have adversely impacted me pretty heavily.

I bought my place back in 2011, got price matches in both 2011 and 2012 to my HUD-1.  2013/2014 were minimal increases that I was able to get reduced to something like 4 & 6% increases per year easily in the prelim non-formal meetings, 2015 I had to go to the full appeal group with numerous copied sheets of proof.   I won that, but just barely my increase being 8%. 

2016 was the first no chance in hell moment for me, got protax to jump in and they got it reduced to an 8% upgrade. 2017 protax got it reduced to around 9%.  2018 I think was another tiny savings. 

But 2019 they couldnt help reduce the HS cap,  they got the overall increase reduced to something like a 17% increase (from 30+)    In 2020 as we know TCAD didnt increase homes other than ones that had sold or were renovated.    Protax  had changed to the new upfront rate scale -which I refused to sign, got a supervisor to change the contract to what I thought the old pay scale was and they saved me  a net of about $60, so they got a $20 check. 

But 2021 they couldnt save anything  and then tried to tell me I owed $150 because they had reduced my value by $60k.   turned out that was the fee scale above which they realized the supervisor who gave me the deal back in 2020 had forgotten to mention, so they waived it.... but  at this point my home is valued probably $400k above my TCAD value, so  even if they got the price reduced, i would never get an actual HS exemption difference.     so I had to drop them.

then as I also mentioned upthread, got TCAD to reduce this years value by just shy of $40k ( WAAAAYYYY above HS point).   cost me an hour of prep work... wudda cost me $100 with the Protax system.

1 hour ago, Anastasis said:

HEre it is from their site:

How much does your service cost? (New for 2021)

Texas Protax collects one fee at the end of year. The fee is based on our performance. For residential properties, our fee collected at the end of the year is the greater of three fee scenarios:

• The taxable reduction fee is based off of 40% of actual tax dollar savings.
  • For properties with exemptions (EX: Homestead), there is a market value reduction fee calculated IF the market value is reduced but doesn’t beat the capped value ($2.50/$1k value reduction).
  • The minimum fee is $50/parcel.
  • For commercial properties, our standard fee is a contingency 33.33% of actual tax dollar savings.

Aw fuck. I totally forgot to cancel ProTax. I just got the email that they got my market value reduced by $100K but it doesn't mean shit since my capped value is still $400K below that.

With such a drastic difference between the market and capped values there's zero reason to protest for several years to come.

41 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

Aw fuck. I totally forgot to cancel ProTax. I just got the email that they got my market value reduced by $100K but it doesn't mean shit since my capped value is still $400K below that.

With such a drastic difference between the market and capped values there's zero reason to protest for several years to come.

sorry man.... that will be $250, thank you.

EDIT- also, you NEED to protest every single year man. 

do it yourself, even if you only get them to drop it $50k the base increase from next year starts $50k lower than before. 

at some point there is going to be a tipping point where either the home values start actually going down and you get to use those numbers, or the state is going to have to amend the Robin Hood amendment ---- I know everyone in the rest of the state laughs at LIB-UR-AL AWstin and their funky ways, but we are at 5x the recapture amount than the next largest other recapture city.  and If this 2.2% property tax fee keeps being applied against every GD property in the city of Austin the next 3 years, that recapture amount is literally gonna increase by another 5X gap.

Edited by AUS-97HORN

27 minutes ago, AUS-97HORN said:

EDIT- also, you NEED to protest every single year man. 

I agree.  I had to cancel five stone this year, because after talking with them they would not reconsider their pricing in may case in light of TCADs fucked up fat finger and I would have potentially owed them a few grand depending on how they ran their math. I may sign back up next year, or shop around for someone with a reasonable flat fee schedule. 

I got my postcard from the tax assessor collector that every owner will eventually that directs to a link that shows what your current taxing units are proposing for rates (http://texas.gov/propertytaxes). In Austin, mine may actually go down $600 but that doesn't include the hospital district which was about $450 for 2021. Still a decrease so I will take it. Of course, several billion dollars were added to the values from 21 to 22 so it shouldn't be that surprising, but the "no new revenue rate" which is last years levy plus new value, would be another $700 off.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Austinvines said:

I got my postcard from the tax assessor collector that every owner will eventually that directs to a link that shows what your current taxing units are proposing for rates (http://texas.gov/propertytaxes). In Austin, mine may actually go down $600 but that doesn't include the hospital district which was about $450 for 2021. Still a decrease so I will take it. Of course, several billion dollars were added to the values from 21 to 22 so it shouldn't be that surprising, but the "no new revenue rate" which is last years levy plus new value, would be another $700 off.

FWIW, that site under reports my 2021 taxes by about 5%.  Does it accurately reflect yours?

1 hour ago, Anastasis said:

FWIW, that site under reports my 2021 taxes by about 5%.  Does it accurately reflect yours?

I checked that site against my tax receipt for last year and it was accurate to the penny.

IMHO, the "no new revenue" number is designed to make you mad.  You think "oh, that's the base from last year" but that number does not include anything for inflation.  They then show you the proposed rate and it's higher and folks get mad.

Taxes go to pay teachers, police, fire, EMS and it's reasonable that they would get raises to at least keep up with inflation.  My wife is teaching and she's getting a sweet 2% bump, so with 8% inflation she and her fellow teachers are really making about 5% less than they did last year.

• 2 months later...

2022 tax rates are now being set, and I calculated my tax bill to see how much it went up.  Thanks to tax compression, my homestead exemption and the 10% appraisal cap, my taxes are up 0.1% from last year even with the huge home value increase.  Considering inflation, they're down a bunch.

I didn't fight TCAD at all because it was pointless, they would have had to cut the value of my home almost in half for me to realize savings.  Maybe next year.