Global Spring?

Immaculate Vibes

good video explaining the coming food crisis. Most of this is known on this thread, but this video I think does a good job outlining some other factors outside of just the Uke/Russia war. Been a crisis in the making already from climate change and of course terrible people in charge doing fuck all. 

I am concerned for my family in the Med as there will certainly be a next level refugee crisis into Europe. Lebanon, Egypt, Yemen, all horsefucked. 

• Hook 'Em 3

32 minutes ago, Parliament said:

Holland is the World's 2nd largest ag exporter, 1.5 bigger than even Brazil.  So yeah.  Pretty dumb.

https://www.investopedia.com/financial-edge/0712/top-agricultural-producing-countries.aspx

They were our number 1 buyer for the food projects we ran in Afghanistan. I loved when the boss would tell me to go to Amsterdam and work with the buyers. Only place more fun was Budapest. But I digress. 

But, this is a big deal. 

Uzbekistan almost fucked around and found out with Crabapplekerplopistan

https://www.reuters.com/world/asia-pacific/protests-break-out-uzbek-autonomous-region-over-constitution-reform-plan-2022-07-02/

Uzbek President Shavkat Mirziyoyev on Saturday dropped plans to curtail the autonomy of the country's Karakalpakstan province following a rare public protest in the northwestern region, his office said.

Friday's rally was called to protest constitutional reform plans that would have changed the status of Karakalpakstan, an autonomous republic home to the Karakalpak people - an ethnic minority group with its own language, Uzbek authorities said.

Police dispersed the protesters after some of them tried to storm local government buildings in the region's capital, Nukus, following a march and a rally at the city's central market, local and government officials said.

Mirziyoyev later issued a decree proclaiming a state of emergency in Karakalpakstan for a month "in order to ensure the security of citizens, defend their rights and freedoms and restore the rule of law and order" in the region.

Under the current Uzbek constitution, Karakalpakstan is described as a sovereign republic within Uzbekistan that has the right to secede by holding a referendum.

The new version of the constitution - on which Uzbekistan plans to hold a referendum in the coming months - would no longer mention Karakalpakstan's sovereignty or right for secession.

But in a swift reaction to the protest, Mirziyoyev said on Saturday during a visit to Karakalpakstan that the changes regarding its status must be dropped from the proposed reform, his office said in a statement.

Karakalpakstan's government said in a statement earlier on Saturday that police had detained the leaders of Friday's protest, and several other protesters who had put up resistance.

Marvel Studios Reaction GIF by Disney+

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Immaculate Vibes said:

Poorly timed oil worker strike going to bite a little into supply. 

Saw this last night. Add to it the Dutch farmer revolt and the EU is in for a hard time. What is next? American dock workers strike is on my bingo card. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Immaculate Vibes said:

That’s at the Long Beach port facility right? I remember seeing something about negotiations a while back. 

Yep. Argument is about protecting jobs vs. automation or something like that. I am sure there is more but that is why I remember. 

A lot food we consume in the US comes from China so would have an impact on our food survival. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, InkaUtexas said:

Yep. Argument is about protecting jobs vs. automation or something like that. I am sure there is more but that is why I remember. 

A lot food we consume in the US comes from China so would have an impact on our food survival. 

Uhhhhhh what? What food comes from China? We consistently export to them. 

3 minutes ago, Johnny Chimpo said:

Uhhhhhh what? What food comes from China? We consistently export to them. 

Yes we do. Here is a quick fact. Ya like Apple Juice? 

The U.S. imported $4.6 billion in agricultural products from China in 2017. The top U.S. import commodities from China are fruits and vegetables (fresh/processed), snack food, spices, and tea – the combined which accounts for nearly one-half of the total U.S. agricultural imports from China.

• Hook 'Em 4

5 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Yes we do. Here is a quick fact. Ya like Apple Juice? 

The U.S. imported $4.6 billion in agricultural products from China in 2017. The top U.S. import commodities from China are fruits and vegetables (fresh/processed), snack food, spices, and tea – the combined which accounts for nearly one-half of the total U.S. agricultural imports from China.

I believe you are referring to Freedom Juice, and I only drink it if sourced locally.

• Hook 'Em 1

Fair point. I took a look at the government statistics, link below, there’s lots of data on export market destinations and import providers tabulated by country. 

China is a number one through three export market for soybeans, corn, and cotton, among others. 

Most of our ag imports come from Mexico / South / Central America. 

In todays global economy everyone is very interconnected but I think it’s safe to say that food wise China leans much more heavily on us than we do on them.

https://www.ers.usda.gov/data-products/foreign-agricultural-trade-of-the-united-states-fatus/u-s-agricultural-trade-data-update/#Top 10 sources of U.S. agricultural imports of fruits and vegetables, by value

27 minutes ago, Johnny Chimpo said:

Fair point. I took a look at the government statistics, link below, there’s lots of data on export market destinations and import providers tabulated by country. 

China is a number one through three export market for soybeans, corn, and cotton, among others. 

Most of our ag imports come from Mexico / South / Central America. 

In todays global economy everyone is very interconnected but I think it’s safe to say that food wise China leans much more heavily on us than we do on them.

https://www.ers.usda.gov/data-products/foreign-agricultural-trade-of-the-united-states-fatus/u-s-agricultural-trade-data-update/#Top 10 sources of U.S. agricultural imports of fruits and vegetables, by value

Tell that to Karen who cannot get Capri Sun's for little Chad. 

29 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Pucker time.  Not that anyone didn't see this coming, but it's official now

BREAKING REPORT: Atlanta Fed Announces GDP for Second Quarter at Minus 2.1 — Basically Confirming THE UNITED STATES ECONOMY Is Facing a Recession.

We're long overdue.

• Hook 'Em 2