Global Spring?

Immaculate Vibes

1 hour ago, Superhero said:

If they stop importing aluminum, will beer be packaged in capri sun pouches?

I kid. But banning Russian aluminum is going to cause problems for construction. Talking to my subcontractors, glass and aluminum prices have already gone up 40% this year. This is going to make construction costs even higher. 

Aluminum prices spiked earlier in the year, but they are down considerably of late (I presume these are inflation adjusted dollars, although the website didnt say: https://tradingeconomics.com/commodity/aluminum)

image.png.3f54f05b44e481978e5d5060668a98b3.png

Also, its amusing to me to hear talk from the Biden Administration that our relationship with Saudi Arabia might have to be "rethought" if the West cant rely on them to do the right thing (right thing = help us keep gas prices cheap). At the same time, the Biden is considering banning US fuel exports kind of fucking over European countries now buying record levels of US crude as they look to diversify away from Russia. "Hey guys, FU....figure it out"

Edited by Blotto

50 minutes ago, Blotto said:

At the same time, the Biden is considering banning US fuel exports kind of fucking over European countries now buying record levels of US crude as they look to diversify away from Russia. "Hey guys, FU....figure it out"

For what it's worth, Biden proposed a fuel export ban (ie: gasoline and diesel, finished products) not a crude export ban. So it wouldn't impact EU crude imports from us.

2 hours ago, Captainant said:

Well, ImmaculateGRUbeast is on a 2 week timeout from misbehaving in the Ukraine war thread so at least you'll get a bit of a reprieve from the local kremlin cheerleader

That's good to know. 

1 hour ago, Blotto said:

Aluminum prices spiked earlier in the year, but they are down considerably of late (I presume these are inflation adjusted dollars, although the website didnt say: https://tradingeconomics.com/commodity/aluminum)

image.png.3f54f05b44e481978e5d5060668a98b3.png

Also, its amusing to me to hear talk from the Biden Administration that our relationship with Saudi Arabia might have to be "rethought" if the West cant rely on them to do the right thing (right thing = help us keep gas prices cheap). At the same time, the Biden is considering banning US fuel exports kind of fucking over European countries now buying record levels of US crude as they look to diversify away from Russia. "Hey guys, FU....figure it out"

12 minutes ago, Captainant said:

For what it's worth, Biden proposed a fuel export ban (ie: gasoline and diesel, finished products) not a crude export ban. So it wouldn't impact EU crude imports from us.

Dr House Oops GIF

8 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Speaking of protests and governments trying to crack down on dissent.

Member when a bunch of ergodans bodyguards/goons beat up a bunch of American journalists? I member. That regime has been literally targeting and attacking protesters and journalists for the better part of a decade. Idk if it's a crackdown, or just the screw continuing to turn 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Captainant said:

Member when a bunch of ergodans bodyguards/goons beat up a bunch of American journalists? I member. That regime has been literally targeting and attacking protesters and journalists for the better part of a decade. Idk if it's a crackdown, or just the screw continuing to turn 

You know what I find fascinating?  The very same crew that cries the loudest about "DEEP STATE! FREE SPEECH! NO CENSORSHIP"......were DEAD SILENT when Erdogan's bodyguards violently attacked protesters here, on American soil, who had the temerity to criticize him.

If someone is on the side of open authoritarians, nothing else they say has any credibility.  They have chosen their philosophy -- authoritarianism -- because it is the one philosophy that has as its most critical element "zero tolerance of any other point of view."

The renewed global tension between the philosophy of authoritarianism vs. yeah, no, authoritarianism sucks would be fascinating to watch if the stakes weren't so high.

““America is going to shut down if we shut down,” Mike Ellis, CEO of American Commercial Barge Line in Indiana”. He's talking about the historic low water levels in the Mississippi River. 

2020's will be remembered by historians as the beginning of The End. 

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/america-going-shut-down-shut-204307435.html

The low water levels have clogged up entire sections of the Mississippi River in recent weeks, wreaking havoc on the local economy.

At least 2,000 barges were backed up along the river last week, Bloomberg reported, citing data from the U.S. Coast Guard. Also last week, the Coast Guard warned that at least eight heavy barges had become “grounded” in particularly shallow parts of the river.

With fewer barges able to navigate the river and longer wait times, prices are starting to go up.

“It’s definitely having an impact on the local economy, because the commercial use of this river has almost completely stopped,” George Flaggs, mayor of Vicksburg, Miss., told local news channel WAPT earlier this week, adding that the river around Vicksburg is the lowest he’s seen it in nearly 70 years.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, crash_davis said:

“It’s definitely having an impact on the local economy, because the commercial use of this river has almost completely stopped,” George Flaggs, mayor of Vicksburg, Miss., told local news channel WAPT earlier this week, adding that the river around Vicksburg is the lowest he’s seen it in nearly 70 years.

"You should have seen it when the Union blockaded it and put Vicksburg under siege.  Now that was a complete stoppage!"

/armybrat

• Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

3 minutes ago, bernorange said:

From the comments in that twitter feed, it's apparently advantage: China.  They had just announced 4B€ investment in China.

From BASF directly yes. I was referring more to the de-industrialization that’s going to happen to Europe.  

Gas looks good so far this fall though.

Good follow, and it’s the vote, not a beach or waxing report

https://twitter.com/BrazilianReport

Even though there’s been some shenanigans going on, for the most part, it doesn’t seem like there’s too much unrest.  Vote is almost finished counting

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Hook 'Em 1

Seems to be over, and no major drama on social media so far, outside of some police stops made in certain areas earlier in the day,  mentioned above.
Wonder if it will change BRIC.

Yep it’s over. I’ll see if I can post a video a friend sent my wife.

My wife voted again for Lula this morning here in Houston. Fuck Bolsadildo.

Any free video host that is easy like imgbox? If not, no big deal. Just a video from her apartment balcony in Campinas (where I lived) and the city going crazy as the election is called for Lula.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Good follow, and it’s the vote, not a beach or waxing report

https://twitter.com/BrazilianReport

Even though there’s been some shenanigans going on, for the most part, it doesn’t seem like there’s too much unrest.  Vote is almost finished counting

USA: our elections are decided by razor thin margins!

Brazil: Segure minha cerveja!

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2