Global Spring?

Immaculate Vibes

220, 221 joke here.  

Holy shit, that's bad though 220 out of 240mm.  That's a tough spot too because all their neighbors hate them, except Iran who just strongly dislikes them.  Not like they can patch into another grid in that case.  How you say Ercot in Urdo??  

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

220 million people are without power in Pakistan and have been for a while, which means everything from hospitals to the local gas stations are fucked.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/01/22/asia/pakistan-power-outage-intl-hnk/index.html

That's on top of their other problems (fuel, food, etc.).

I believe they've had issues buying natural gas due to Europe's demand increasing from non-Russian sources.

Price of eggs are dropping from all time high. We need a fire.

https://www.nbcconnecticut.com/news/local/approximately-100000-hens-killed-in-fire-at-hillandale-farms-in-bozrah-doag/2964707/

Approximately 100,000 hens have died after a large fire at an egg farm in Bozrah over the weekend.

Firefighters were called to Hillandale Farms on Schwartz Road on Saturday.

When they arrived, fire crews found a 50 foot by 600 foot operating chicken coop on fire.

Crews from 16 surrounding departments including Colchester, East Haddam, Salem, Gardner Lake, Lebanon, Franklin, Yantic and Sterling, Taftville, Montville, Oakdale and Lisbon and more than 100 firefighters total responded to the scene.

The Dept. of Agriculture said approximately 100,000 egg-laying hens died in the fire.

According to the DoAg, the anticipated impact on egg prices from this incident is minimal to none at this time.

The cause of the fire remains under investigation. All employees are safe and no injuries were reported.

54 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

Price of eggs are dropping from all time high. We need a fire.

https://www.nbcconnecticut.com/news/local/approximately-100000-hens-killed-in-fire-at-hillandale-farms-in-bozrah-doag/2964707/

Approximately 100,000 hens have died after a large fire at an egg farm in Bozrah over the weekend.

Firefighters were called to Hillandale Farms on Schwartz Road on Saturday.

When they arrived, fire crews found a 50 foot by 600 foot operating chicken coop on fire.

Crews from 16 surrounding departments including Colchester, East Haddam, Salem, Gardner Lake, Lebanon, Franklin, Yantic and Sterling, Taftville, Montville, Oakdale and Lisbon and more than 100 firefighters total responded to the scene.

The Dept. of Agriculture said approximately 100,000 egg-laying hens died in the fire.

According to the DoAg, the anticipated impact on egg prices from this incident is minimal to none at this time.

The cause of the fire remains under investigation. All employees are safe and no injuries were reported.

That is a little ass laying operation. My aggie cousin runs a medium sized one that is 1.0 million hens. Also, confinement livestock stuff burns down constantly every winter, it's part of the deal. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Royalfan5 said:

That is a little ass laying operation. My aggie cousin runs a medium sized one that is 1.0 million hens. Also, confinement livestock stuff burns down constantly every winter, it's part of the deal. 

The Kenny Rogers' Roasters reboot attempt sounds lit as fuck.

Seriously though, you're the second person close to the industry that's said this.  What's the predominant cause?...cheap space heaters in poorly built structures with lots of dried feed/hay?  Or?  I'm guessing the risk is baked into overall G&A/profit/insurance model.  But fucking-a.  

24 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

The Kenny Rogers' Roasters reboot attempt sounds lit as fuck.

Seriously though, you're the second person close to the industry that's said this.  What's the predominant cause?...cheap space heaters in poorly built structures with lots of dried feed/hay?  Or?  I'm guessing the risk is baked into overall G&A/profit/insurance model.  But fucking-a.  

Wear on building and systems exacerbated by the stress of winter weather. Could have been as simple as a vent fan spinning a bearing and starting a fire, and once it gets going you aren't going to be able to do much about it. If it was a 100K unit it was probably stretched past the designed life span already.  

• Hook 'Em 1

• 4 weeks later...

Came across this article this past weekend. Longform detailing the illegal gold mining in SA and the criminal enterpirse that has grown around it. Absolutely mind-blowing what humans subject themselves to:

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2023/02/27/the-dystopian-underworld-of-south-africas-illegal-gold-mines

Owing to the difficulty of entering the mines, zama-zamas often stayed underground for months, their existence illuminated by headlamps. Down below, temperatures can exceed a hundred degrees, with suffocating humidity. Rockfalls are common, and rescuers have encountered bodies crushed by boulders the size of cars. “I think they all go through hell,” a doctor in Welkom, who has treated dozens of zama-zamas, told me. The men he saw had turned gray for lack of sunlight, their bodies were emaciated, and most of them had tuberculosis from inhaling dust in the unventilated tunnels. They were blinded for hours upon returning to the surface.

I recently met a zama-zama named Simon who once lived underground for two years. Born in a rural area of Zimbabwe, he arrived in Welkom in 2010. He started digging for gold at the surface, which was dusted with ore from the industry’s heyday. There was gold beside the railway tracks that had once transported rock from the mines, gold among the foundations of torn-down processing plants, gold in the beds of ephemeral streams. But Simon was earning only around thirty-five dollars a day. He aspired to build a house and open a business. To get more gold, he would need to go underground.

In no other country in the world does illegal mining take place inside such colossal industrial shafts. In the past twenty years, zama-zamas have spread across South Africa’s gold-mining areas, becoming a national crisis. Analysts have estimated that illegal mining accounts for around a tenth of South Africa’s annual gold production, though mining companies, wary of alarming investors, tend to downplay the extent of the criminal trade. The operations underground are controlled by powerful syndicates, which then launder the gold into legal supply chains. The properties that have made gold useful as a store of value—notably the ease with which it can be melted down into new forms—also make it difficult to trace. A wedding band, a cell-phone circuit board, and an investment coin may all contain gold that was mined by zama-zamas.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

US Donates Over 60 Tons of Weaponry to Somalia for Fight Against Militants (voanews.com)

The United States has donated more than 60 tons of weapons and ammunition to the Somali National Army, or SNA, to boost ongoing operations against the militant group al-Shabab and for future training of an elite infantry unit, according to the U.S. Embassy in Mogadishu.

A statement from the embassy Wednesday said the weapons arrived in Mogadishu's international airport aboard two U.S. Air Force C-17 cargo planes that were greeted by Somalia's minister of defense and chief of defense forces, as well as Embassy Mogadishu Chargé d'Affaires Tim Trinkle.

According to the U.S. statement, the weapons included "Sixty-one tons of AK-47s, heavy machine guns, and ammunition." "This military assistance will support the current SNA operations against al-Shabab in Galmadug and Jubaland States and the next intake of the SNA Danab Advanced Infantry Brigade, for which the recruitment process has already started," said the statement.

The State Department has also offered a new $5 million reward for information leading to the "identification or location" of al-Shabab spokesman Ali Mohamed Rage.

The Somali National Army, working with various local clan militias, launched an offensive in central Somalia last year that has succeeded in wrestling back control of numerous towns and villages that had been controlled by al-Shabab, which ran them with its customary harsh brand of Islamic law.

Analysts have warned that Somalia's national and state governments must maintain security and provide economic aid in the recaptured areas to keep them from sliding back into militant control. That issue came up this week as representatives of Qatar, Turkey, the United Arab Emirates, the United Kingdom, and the U.S. met in Washington to discuss Somalia's security, state-building, development, and humanitarian priorities.

Small scale stuff, but helpful if it can help stabilize Somalia.

53 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

US Donates Over 60 Tons of Weaponry to Somalia for Fight Against Militants (voanews.com)

Small scale stuff, but helpful if it can help stabilize Somalia.

LOL, Tim Trinkle..... That is quite important when you realize the war does not need Leopards, etc. 

We are doing a lot of training of the Somali army across clan lines. Just finished a training program in Northern Kenya. This is not just about Somalia, but if Al Shabaab and ISIS are pushed they cannot expand. This is about the region. 

• Hook 'Em 2

A combination of a stronger U.S. dollar and higher commodity prices, which is a departure from a historical trend, increases the risk of global stagflation, said the Bank for International Settlements.
Emerging markets are more affected by this than developed ones, the report pointed out. "This reflects the higher commodity consumption of EMEs and their greater exposure to swings in global financial conditions," it added.
This is particularly important given that commodity prices have been rising in the post-COVID environment while the U.S. dollar strengthened on the back of aggressive Federal Reserve rate hikes.

"Commodity price rises tend to stoke inflation and choke off growth in commodity-importing economies, while dollar appreciation tends to have similar effects outside the United States, especially in EMEs," the report said. "Thus, the confluence of such developments over the past couple of years has significantly increased the risk of stagflation, ie that weak growth will coincide with high inflation."

https://www.kitco.com/news/2023-03-01/Higher-commodity-prices-and-stronger-U-S-dollar-increase-global-stagflation-risk-warns-BIS.html

• Hook 'Em 1

No idea where to put this. I guess this is as good as a thread as any other. We are worried the world is ending. I'm guilty as fuck. Is the world ending or are we just echoing what each generation bitches or are we consuming shit news because we seek out shit news? I think the answer is YES.

Going through the internet rabbit hole and stumbled on this clip. I had never seen it before. Watching it I thought, fuck me, he's describing America today. Did a little digging. It's from a 1976 movie titled "Network". It was nominated for a bunch of Oscars. Amazing that I've never seen or heard of it.

It's like nothing's fucking changed for 50 years.

Among other things, the movie is about how the news thrives on ratings and gives America shit news because it's what Americans want to see. Feed Americans shit in the name of profit. 

The speech talks about the Russians, inflation, crime, etc. 

• 3 weeks later...

It’s going to be interesting to watch for sure.
I’m getting pretty sick of this particular global wave of authoritarian bullshit. I’m hoping that some of these fuckers end up getting Ceaușescued. That’s about the only sort of thing that ends such endeavors.
I would be quite happy to see Bibi have to flee Israel, at the very least.

• Hook 'Em 5

11 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

It’s going to be interesting to watch for sure.
I’m getting pretty sick of this particular global wave of authoritarian bullshit. I’m hoping that some of these fuckers end up getting Ceaușescued. That’s about the only sort of thing that ends such endeavors.
I would be quite happy to see Bibi have to flee Israel, at the very least.

We'll see his ass vacationing in Florida like Bolsonaro.

• Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

14 minutes ago, Schulz2.0 said:

Netanyahu had to postpone attempting to push through the changes. 

Yep, tracking. Watch if the IDF mobilizes. Spoke with a police buddy there today. He said they were on the protestors side, just wondering about the IDF. And local elements (Radical Jewish and Islamic) groups trying to take advantage. 

• Hook 'Em 1