Global Spring?

Immaculate Vibes

Russia launching the world's largest submarine (608 feet long) capable of “stealth nuclear torpedos”.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/07/23/europe/russia-belgorod-submarine-nuclear-torpedo-intl-hnk-ml/index.html

TASS has reported that the sub will carry the in-development Poseidon nuclear-capable torpedoes, which are being designed to be launched from hundreds of miles away and to sneak past coastal defenses by traveling along the sea floor.

“This nuclear ‘mega torpedo’ is unique in the history of the world,” American submarine expert H. I. Sutton wrote on his Covert Shores website in March.

“Poseidon is a completely new category of weapon. It will reshape naval planning in both Russia and the West, leading to new requirements and new counter-weapons,” Sutton wrote.

Both US and Russian officials have said the torpedoes could deliver warheads of multiple megatons, causing radioactive waves that would render swathes of the target coastline uninhabitable for decades.

https://www.navalnews.com/naval-news/2022/03/russias-new-poseidon-super-weapon-what-you-need-to-know/

It has a nuclear reactor powering the nuclear warhead-armed torpedo

xzibit-happy.jpg

9 hours ago, gmr548 said:

Earth has not reached its carrying capacity for humans. The idea that it has is so laughable as to be not even worth engaging. The amount of food, water, and energy waste/inefficiency in the world is enormous.

Can the Earth sustain billions living at the standards we in the west and other upper income countries currently enjoy? Different question.

Oh. Well I guess we have nothing to worry about then. You seem really confident, guy on the internet. Glad to know you’re on top of it. 

image.gif.ac64a53b9c0b439069c266400c3950f7.gif

11 hours ago, gmr548 said:

Earth has not reached its carrying capacity for humans. The idea that it has is so laughable as to be not even worth engaging. The amount of food, water, and energy waste/inefficiency in the world is enormous.

Can the Earth sustain billions living at the standards we in the west and other upper income countries currently enjoy? Different question.

Non of us are questioning the earth's capacity.  We are questioning humanity's.

Mother Earth is about to give us the fucking boot if we don't get our shit together soon.

Edited by MissingInAction
  • Hook 'Em 1

He’s right, but lol at Fink acting like an impartial observer. This guy is the biggest ESG advocate on the planet. His ideas And influence using the money he controls directly contributed to where we are energy wise now. And he smartly tries to disconnect that from food, but you can’t. Fuck him 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-62287815

Four democracy activists have been executed by Myanmar's military in what is believed to be the first use of capital punishment in decades. 

The four - including activist Ko Jimmy and lawmaker Phyo Zeya Thaw - were accused of committing "terror acts". They were sentenced to death in a closed-door trial that rights groups criticised as being unjust. 

Pro-democracy leader Aung San Suu Kyi was very sad after hearing the news, a source told the BBC's Burmese Service.

Ms Suu Kyi, the leader of the National League for Democracy (NLD) party, did not make any comments, the source added. She was arrested in February 2021, following an army-led coup.

The mother of Zayar Thaw says she was not told when exactly her son would be executed, adding that she was unable to make proper traditional funeral plans as a result. 

"When we met on Zoom last Friday, my son was healthy and smiling. He asked me to send his reading glasses, dictionary and some money to use in prison, so I brought those things to the prison today," Khin Win May told the BBC's Burmese Service. "That's why I didn't think they would kill him. I didn't believe it."

• Rage+1 2

On 7/21/2022 at 5:33 AM, Humble Beast said:

Oh shit. This is kind of crazy. Germany pays the bills, but Spain rejects calls for conservation. Cracks in the EU surfacing. 

Oh hey! They reached a deal today -- I know you must be heartbroken.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Parliament said:

Yeah that's inevitable.  NH3 is low on the totem pole of NG priority.

Makes sense. Uses the most to make. So if they’re cutting consumption start there. The problem is that they’re doing it this early in year. 

The fucking Russians giving them 20% of capacity is some Bs. I’m sure they’ve picked that number for a reason. They need the money so send a little, but they’ve also modeled where that puts German and EU storage levels in the winter and I’m guessing it will have the desired effect.

On 7/26/2022 at 7:14 PM, bolverk said:

Oh hey! They reached a deal today -- I know you must be heartbroken.

I would always prefer deals like that be made. It doesn’t benefit anyone but Putin and maybe Xi tangentially to have EU gas shortages. 

Anyway Bloomberg references this deal. 

“As is their wont, the EU 27 this week settled their latest spat about gas savings in the usual way: They fudged and wangled a compromise. Gas will be saved — somewhere, somehow — but so many countries will have opt-outs, loopholes and exceptions that you’d need a magnifying glass to find the solidarity. Putin saw nothing in Brussels this week to make him nervous.”

12 hours ago, Parliament said:

Best article I can find discussing the kerfuffle over Speaker Pelosi going/not going to Taiwan.  Seems the Chinese don't want the #3 to the American Presidency doing what she dang well pleases.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/pelosi-taiwan-china-america-fears-escalation-beijing-washington-biden-rcna40229

No idea how reputable this source is, but looks like the Chinese rhetoric could be tested. 

AFRICOM has a new commander, and he has a shitload of experience in Africa, and the academic chops as well.  Next time you read about some dumbass Russian general replacing another dumbass Russian general (all Putin bootlickers) and neither had the background for say fighting in Ukraine or things like combined arms operations, read this guy’s bio.

https://www.marforcom.marines.mil/Leaders/article-view-display/Article/614561/lieutenant-general-michael-e-langley/linkId/lieutenant-general-michael-e-langley/

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

On 8/2/2022 at 8:44 PM, atomheartbevo said:

https://eurasiantimes.com/taiwans-fully-loaded-f-16-vipers-armed-with-deadly-harpoon/?amp

Taiwan’s ‘Fully-Loaded’ F-16 Vipers Armed With Deadly Harpoon Missiles Gear-Up To Hunt Intruding Chinese Warships

As the Chinese military conducts military drills around Taiwan, the self-governing island appears to be preparing for any potential attack by outfitting its four F-16V (Vipers) with lethal weapons, including Harpoon missiles, to defend the country’s east coast, reported Liberty Times.

Following Nancy Pelosi’s visit to Taiwan, the People’s Liberation Army of China announced sharp military drills in six regions bordering Taiwan and entering its territorial waters.

Since then, Chinese military aircraft and warships have been conducting drills near the Taiwan Strait, and many of them are still active in the eastern seas. 

Taiwan’s Hualien Air Force Base is reportedly ready to scramble its four fully loaded F-16V fighters, each outfitted with two air-launched anti-ship harpoon missiles, to defend the nation’s east coast. 

The base has prepared more than ten combat readiness mission aircraft, most of which are equipped with short-range sidewinder missiles and AIM-120 advanced medium-range missiles.  

Four are F-16Vs, each equipped with two AIM-120 advanced medium-range missiles, two short-range sidewinder missiles, two air-launched AGM-84 harpoon missiles, and an ALQ-184 electric warfare capsule, and two auxiliary fuel tanks under the mid-abdomen. 

4 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

CNN reporter with Haitian SWAT team, taking fire in an armored vehicle from gangs - got some trending on the social media, but Haiti has been broken for 30 years, so not sure how relevant it is.

I work with a few groups there. They say it has never been this bad since Papa Doc's time. One of them is a US reserve officer, Haitian descent. Was a member of the Haitian SWAT before he married an American NGO worker. Dude served 3 tours in Iraq. He just sent his kids to family in the US. Has never done that. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Humble Beast said:

Ignore the comment. The article goes in depth on Chinese Belt and Road financing well outside just the effects in Sri Lanka. 

Seems many countries, especially African ones, have gotten wise to the Chinese strategy of "we'll loan you jillions for stupid gleaming projects, and then own you because you owe us a jillion."  China doesn't do mutual benefit in this sort of transaction.  If they are doing the deal, it's because they think they're getting one over on you.

You CAN do mutually beneficial deals with China.....you just have to have/use a lot more leverage.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Part of the issue is loans are secured by outgoing governments, they take their cuts, get subcontracts and then leave it to the next administration to pay off. Happened in Kenya. 

Have a good friend who lives in Kenya. he hates the Chinese investment and talks about it all the time. What was interesting is few people can afford to ride the train and too expensive for cargo. So China said right, drop the rates, and BTW, we will take over the oil terminal in the Mombassa port. Kenya said nope. It is part of their master energy plan and China hates it. Chinese Oil has to go out of Sudan north. The plan is for South Sudan to Mombassa to remove what Sudan gets. That is one of China's allies in Africa, just quietly.

The notes about Gwadar is interesting. That was a massive project started back when in the early 2000's. Dubai Ports was trying to secure it. Pakistan took the loans and gave it to China.

Hope the developing world wakes up to the risks. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1