ACL Fest 2022 - It Warrants a Thread

Footballpants

1 hour ago, UrbanAchiever said:

There are a couple acts that are poised to break out soon like Wet Leg and MUNA. Pleased with some of the other undercards too, primarily Japanese Breakfast and Arlo Parks. 

MUNA is already fairly well known among the kids (at least according to my high school daughter).  And Japanese Breakfast recently did a taping for Austin City Limits.  She played the festival a few years ago and recall it being a pretty decent show.

So already I know more about this lineup than last years. 

A couple we go with every year has a daughter who is now old enough to run with us…more than just about anything else, it’s her jumping with joy at the lineup the last few years that’s firmly brought me into ‘old discontented bastard’ territory.   

So does that mean the lineups are that much worse?  Or that I’ve just gotten older?  I need the bald headed kid to tell me if it’s the spoon that must bend, or myself, or if there is no gotdamn spoon…fuck never mind that movie is over 20 years old too damnit. 

Then again I’m drunk at the airport waiting to fly to my grandfather’s funeral…a man I drank Jack with when he was 93 years old.  So maybe Neo can go fuck himself instead of the spoon.  

9 minutes ago, Homercles said:

A couple we go with every year has a daughter who is now old enough to run with us…more than just about anything else, it’s her jumping with joy at the lineup the last few years that’s firmly brought me into ‘old discontented bastard’ territory.   

So does that mean the lineups are that much worse?  Or that I’ve just gotten older?  I need the bald headed kid to tell me if it’s the spoon that must bend, or myself, or if there is no gotdamn spoon…fuck never mind that movie is over 20 years old too damnit. 

Then again I’m drunk at the airport waiting to fly to my grandfather’s funeral…a man I drank Jack with when he was 93 years old.  So maybe Neo can go fuck himself instead of the spoon.  

I feel the same

season 5 episode 20 GIF

Edited by Viper

6 minutes ago, Viper said:

I feel the same

season 5 episode 20 GIF

It’s all a cycle my man.  

My parents probably had no idea what to make of Nevermind or Vegas or Sublime or any of the other albums I latched onto, just like my grandparents probably chided rock as just noise during the undisputed era of the electric guitar, or my great grandparents thought Glenn Miller was too provocative.  

• Hook 'Em 2

57 minutes ago, South Austin said:

MUNA is already fairly well known among the kids (at least according to my high school daughter).  And Japanese Breakfast recently did a taping for Austin City Limits.  She played the festival a few years ago and recall it being a pretty decent show.

So already I know more about this lineup than last years. 

Yeah, saw MUNA during sxsw, and the crowd was definitely on the younger side. Their new album comes out in June, and I expect they'll be more of a household name after that. I saw that Japanese Breakfast taping as well last month - she's had a Phoebe Bridgers type trajectory over the past year. I'm a little surprised she's doing ACL as she just played here last October, then a set of shows during sxsw and then the ACL taping last month. 

Edited by UrbanAchiever

30 minutes ago, Homercles said:

It’s all a cycle my man.  

My parents probably had no idea what to make of Nevermind or Vegas or Sublime or any of the other albums I latched onto, just like my grandparents probably chided rock as just noise during the undisputed era of the electric guitar, or my great grandparents thought Glenn Miller was too provocative.  

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47h39j496u1nofct62ey

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Welp, I'm just looking forward to a bunch of live music and to hearing a) bands I know and b) bands I don't know.  We're going weekend one for a mix of reasons which bums me out because I wanted to catch Wet Leg and Phonix but maybe I can swap with someone.  Looking forward to Kevin Morby.

Here's what's cool though... you pull up Spotify and plug in every unfamiliar band on that list and see what you find.  That's how I first heard Goth Babe (playing again this year) and Chet Faker (didn't see him on the list).  You can find new bands and then you can appreciate more of what ACL is about.  It's not all about big names.   Case in point, Glove seems to appeal to my dark wave sensibilities.

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, texasdago said:

Welp, I'm just looking forward to a bunch of live music and to hearing a) bands I know and b) bands I don't know.  We're going weekend one for a mix of reasons which bums me out because I wanted to catch Wet Leg and Phonix but maybe I can swap with someone.  Looking forward to Kevin Morby.

Here's what's cool though... you pull up Spotify and plug in every unfamiliar band on that list and see what you find.  That's how I first heard Goth Babe (playing again this year) and Chet Faker (didn't see him on the list).  You can find new bands and then you can appreciate more of what ACL is about.  It's not all about big names.   Case in point, Glove seems to appeal to my dark wave sensibilities.

Sooo SXSW?

• Haha 1

There’s enough indie diamonds in the rough, plus funky musicians like goose, billy strings is fun, spoon will bring hometown heat, war on drugs should be good. rhcp is far past their prime but will bust out enough early classics and cock socks to make it work. Plus my kids will get me up to speed on other new shit. it’s always fun…

• Hook 'Em 1

surprisingly never seen RHCP. never really got the hate, tunes are good just wouldn't listen to them in heavy rotation.

I'm sure a shell of their former selves(mainly Kiedis) now,but I can knock them off the list, especially if spoon is on the same day.  one can hope.  single day ticket for me.

9 hours ago, freyguy said:

Aside from the music sucking, there should at least be some eye candy.

Yeah, but what's with women in their 20s and 30s wearing mom jeans?  I started seeing this a few festivals and thought it might just be a fad, but it hasn't gone away.  Not a fan.

I guess the rubes (like me) keep buying tickets.

After a two-year hiatus due to the coronavirus pandemic, the Austin City Limit Music Festival's return to Zilker Park in 2021 had a $369 million impact on the local economy, according to a report released Tuesday by the event's organizers.

The $369 million impact is an increase of $78 million, or 27%, over the $291 million brought in by the 2019 festival, according figures from by the festival’s organizers.

May 10, 2022 Statesman article

Yeah, but what's with women in their 20s and 30s wearing mom jeans?  I started seeing this a few festivals and thought it might just be a fad, but it hasn't gone away.  Not a fan.

This has gone on far too long. I remember it clearly changing at the Free Press Summer Fest in Houston and that was like 10 years ago. Enough. Gather ye rosebuds while ye may, ladies! You’ll always be able to wear mom jeans but there’s only a short window for the risqué festival wear!

3 hours ago, Chad Fuck said:

This has gone on far too long. I remember it clearly changing at the Free Press Summer Fest in Houston and that was like 10 years ago. Enough. Gather ye rosebuds while ye may, ladies! You’ll always be able to wear mom jeans but there’s only a short window for the risqué festival wear!

Correction: Mom jeans/shorts don't even look good on moms.

4 hours ago, RiverwalkMiner said:

By October, I expect the Wet Leg crowd to overflow whatever stage they are on. Like Lizzo in 2019.

There are about 10 non-headliners on there, I would pay to see in a club setting, and I'm a old dude. 

I'd love to see Wet Leg. They're coming through Dallas as part of the Here and There Festival with Courtney Barnett on 8/31. (Though I like Barnett, I kind of wish it was just Wet Leg.)

• Hook 'Em 2

22 minutes ago, RiverwalkMiner said:

L'imperatrice, Japanese Breakfast,  Joshua Ray Walker, Muna, Arlo Parks, Luna Luna, Wallows, War on Drugs, Spoon, Phoenix. 

I guess I'm the outlier, but Alt-nation is still my first setting on XM. 

Solid list. I'm a XMU P1 and dig Japanese Breakfast, Arlo Parks, War on Drugs, Spoon and Phoenix. Just getting familiar with MUNA as they play them on XMU. I think Kevin Morby is on the bill and I like that dude.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 1 month later...
22 hours ago, South Austin said:

New artists added to the lineup. Still pretty meh. Still going.

We already have tickets for the second weekend.  I would stop and listen to both Death Cab for Cutie and Culture Club if the scheduling works out.  Don't recognize any of the others.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...