ACL Fest 2022 - It Warrants a Thread

Footballpants

5 hours ago, Tonesky said:

No one fucks with empty chairs.  We generally set up chairs at the front of the chair zone at the stage where we expect to end the day (often the stage where we will be for multiple acts), and then take off.  It is nice to have a "home base" and a place to sit/crash late in the day if needed. 

I just mean i literally never sat in it again.  I wanted to stand at all shows... that and my buddy hooked us up with access to the Miller Lite Lounge 

14 hours ago, texasdago said:

I just mean i literally never sat in it again.  I wanted to stand at all shows... that and my buddy hooked us up with access to the Miller Lite Lounge 

I hear you.  I just like knowing it is there if wanted, and as a place for people to meet up.  Side stage hospitality access his huge!  I used to have full weekend access for HomeAway, from which my buddy is now retired, and which no longer sponsor's a stage.  This year, I scored for Tito's.

1 hour ago, Tonesky said:

I hear you.  I just like knowing it is there if wanted, and as a place for people to meet up.  Side stage hospitality access his huge!  I used to have full weekend access for HomeAway, from which my buddy is now retired, and which no longer sponsor's a stage.  This year, I scored for Tito's.

Yeah, it was absolutely killer... beverages, food, TVs, nice bathrooms and then going up and watching a show from the side stage was killer.  Need to post more pics later.

the side platforms are nice when the weather is agreeable.  But when it's hot, it's pretty miserable...no air circulation/breeze and they pack you in like sardines.  But yeah, the sound is even better than up front (imho) and can't beat the views obviously.  

Lotta folks get access to one particular stage thru that particular stage sponsor.  Others I think can do all side stages through the Uber platinum badge.  I don’t have that kinda cash and I don’t own expensive things sold by those sponsors (you never see me in the watch or airline status or car threads).   

So what you wanna do is be nice to a higher up at C3 for a decade or two after attending college together.   Do favors for them throughout the year as a thank you for last year.   become genuinely good friends over all that time. Then you get a producer badge and your own golf cart to take on the roads behind the stages to make haste.  Tim love even cooks you dinner.  

Or be like the other surly 1%ers (I am not) and buy your way in. ;)  If I cant make it down on Sunday, I’ll PM you.    I don’t blame anybody for upgrading their Festival experience.  It’s almost

always worth it.  I did my years in the hot portas and tepid overpriced beers.  One day, I won’t be able to go anymore so let’s live it up.  

Edited by YGIFS

Lotta folks get access to one particular stage thru that particular stage sponsor.  Others I think can do all side stages through the Uber platinum badge.  I don’t have that kinda cash and I don’t own expensive things sold by those sponsors (you never see me in the watch or airline status or car threads).   
So what you wanna do is be nice to a higher up at C3 for a decade or two after attending college together.   Do favors for them throughout the year as a thank you for last year.   become genuinely good friends over all that time. Then you get a producer badge and your own golf cart to take on the roads behind the stages to make haste.  Tim love even cooks you dinner.  

Or be like the other surly 1%ers (I am not) and buy your way in.  If I cant make it down on Sunday, I’ll PM you.    I don’t blame anybody for upgrading their Festival experience.  It’s almost
always worth it.  I did my years in the hot portas and tepid overpriced beers.  One day, I won’t be able to go anymore so let’s live it up.  

All good intel. I’m afraid I’m out Sunday. Taking the Cub Scouts hiking. Maybe next year.

Most of Miller Lite passes go to Capitol Wright distributorship.  They employ literally hundreds of people around Austin.  You probably know somebody that works there and just don't know it.  I'm not sure if Barton Springs stage has a side viewing platform.  For Honda, I'm assuming the regional distributor and local dealerships get a bunch of those.  I'm guessing you could walk in there and tell them you're very interested in buying their most expensive model but need to think about it until mid-October, and in the the meantime---you'd like a side-stage pass for ACL.  I bet it would work. It's easy to get up to that elevated deal by AMEX stage above the bars.  The actual on-stage platform is tough no matter how cool your badge is because people stay parked up there all day, especially Sunday since it's the "closing" stage.  And it's hot as balls up there until sunset.  I haven't been up there in years, you gotta have access plus wait and wait and wait.  And you miss half the festival.    

And holy shit, I had no idea a platinum badge was $2,000/day.  I thought it was $2,000 for the weekend badge.  That's insane.  

1 hour ago, YGIFS said:

Most of Miller Lite passes go to Capitol Wright distributorship.  They employ literally hundreds of people around Austin.  You probably know somebody that works there and just don't know it.  I'm not sure if Barton Springs stage has a side viewing platform.  For Honda, I'm assuming the regional distributor and local dealerships get a bunch of those.  I'm guessing you could walk in there and tell them you're very interested in buying their most expensive model but need to think about it until mid-October, and in the the meantime---you'd like a side-stage pass for ACL.  I bet it would work. It's easy to get up to that elevated deal by AMEX stage above the bars.  The actual on-stage platform is tough no matter how cool your badge is because people stay parked up there all day, especially Sunday since it's the "closing" stage.  And it's hot as balls up there until sunset.  I haven't been up there in years, you gotta have access plus wait and wait and wait.  And you miss half the festival.    

And holy shit, I had no idea a platinum badge was $2,000/day.  I thought it was $2,000 for the weekend badge.  That's insane.  

Yeah, $2,000.00 a day.  

This sausage fest in front of me paid $2,000.00 for the day to get a nice lounge, free drinks and to be a little bit closer than I was with my GA wristband.

image.thumb.png.4724cd478ba5effa2a5b0fbc7e8e814f.png

Here's an example of side stage viewing... this is the Miller Lite stage.  We were hanging out in the lounge when Samia was playing so we went up to watch for a couple of songs...

image.thumb.png.8d2ef8b8043386fadf1bc0c940761043.png

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, texasdago said:

Yeah, $2,000.00 a day.  

This sausage fest in front of me paid $2,000.00 for the day to get a nice lounge, free drinks and to be a little bit closer than I was with my GA wristband.

image.thumb.png.4724cd478ba5effa2a5b0fbc7e8e814f.png

Here's an example of side stage viewing... this is the Miller Lite stage.  We were hanging out in the lounge when Samia was playing so we went up to watch for a couple of songs...

image.thumb.png.8d2ef8b8043386fadf1bc0c940761043.png

How was Samia?  I was off doing something else when she played and kinda wanted to check her out.  Probably "listening" to that punch bowl turd of a trap "artist".  

28 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

How was Samia?  I was off doing something else when she played and kinda wanted to check her out.  Probably "listening" to that punch bowl turd of a trap "artist".  

None of my business, but I've never heard anyone say this about ACL.  Doing your taxes, making sandwiches, checking your astrological chart? 

"Hey Chad, you wanna check out Samia with us?"

"Nah man, I have something else to do over there." 

At ACL, you're either pissing, buying a beer, listening to music, or walking to the next stage.  What else is there to do?  

• Hook 'Em 1

31 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

She was fine... didn't stand out but didn't listen that closely to her.  I mean, it was cooler being side stage for Slayyter (budget Madonna?) and Sofi Tukker.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

None of my business, but I've never heard anyone say this about ACL.  Doing your taxes, making sandwiches, checking your astrological chart? 

"Hey Chad, you wanna check out Samia with us?"

"Nah man, I have something else to do over there." 

At ACL, you're either pissing, buying a beer, listening to music, or walking to the next stage.  What else is there to do?  

I explained up thread.  And also in the sentence following the one you're referencing. 

I was eating some food waiting for some friends to check out the merch tent, while overhearing an abomination at the Barton Springs stage. I should've just left, but it was hot and there was shade.  It was a compromise.

5 minutes ago, texasdago said:

She was fine... didn't stand out but didn't listen that closely to her.  I mean, it was cooler being side stage for Slayyter (budget Madonna?) and Sofi Tukker.

This is perfect.  I was in the beer tent for TX/OU and this was my exact impression of Slayyter.

OK... looking at day two pics...

Spill Tab on the Miller Lite stage... she was fine... didn't really stand out to me but I stopped by the stage to listen to a few songs as she was playing right when I came in.  Might be worth more of a listen.

image.thumb.png.310feaa87b71027c156a5a7f5af47207.png

Mama Duke on the Barton Springs stage - mix of signing and rapping. Good rapport with the audience and seems talented.  Low energy show.  Again, caught 2-3 songs.

image.thumb.png.e9cbc2ee0f27eae6b99ba561234c88d9.png

The Past Lives on the Tito's Stage.  Total unknown... band out of Corpus Christi who is trying to make it.  Yet to release an album but if Mama Duke was low energy, this band was brimming with energy.  More of a performance with dancers and rocking out but actually very enjoyable.  Would see again.

image.thumb.png.a71c9885d78708816d597ef70b5bd74f.png  

image.thumb.png.9a77e6290db0e5f2bc86b3a874e649cf.png

Aquadolls - T-Mobile.  One thing about side stage access is the sound is often wonky... drums definitely stand out more.  Seemed pretty good.  Wouldn't mind hearing more... girls rocking out.

Simage.thumb.png.19ab3a5610debae8c7fa2719f6a3739e.png

Slayyter - Miller Lite - again, kind of budget Madonna... generic pop/dance.  Not sure if she's famous or not.  

image.thumb.png.3322a7020507ebb6baaaf0acf92e0cf6.png

The Midnight - American Express stage - you know when you were an 80s kid and movies like Iron Eagle or Gleaming the Cube had generic rock soundtracks?  The Mindnight wants to be one of those bands.

image.thumb.png.460fe521a9f0920cf4a526b8f40487f7.png

Wallows on American Express were great - wish I caught the whole show but was getting dragged off by the family

image.thumb.png.e2ab96626bd587f7a47b5513a2291563.png

Manchester Orchestra on Tito's - F'ing family dragged me off again but here they were playing Bed Head which sounded AWESOME!

image.thumb.png.442727c2d42570a6a32756c8517daab3.png

Still day two...

Sofi Tukker - Miller Lite - front and then side stage.  Big dance party.  High energy show.  Would love to be in that crowd next time...

image.thumb.png.e5e5760fbbd661d75f013a0c2880d81e.png

image.thumb.png.d34d601d690ed5593df9b54380720e59.png

Big Boi on Honda stage - this was a loud ass concert from the side... bass was thick.  Caught a few songs.

image.thumb.png.2a2cb8832fe8f017be0568a9647a39a3.png

Diplo on Miller Lite was a massive dance party... the crowd was huge!  This picture does it no justice... great beats, lights and when it got dark it was very cool.  A highlight for sure.  I have a video that shows the masses behind the stage.  

image.thumb.png.28c565c2a101fe712657f92af1ed4eb5.png

nothing budget about Slayyter's ass though.  

wife keeps piling shit on my plate for this weekend.  Between that and wanting to watch the whole ISU game before heading down there plus birthday parties 'n shit, I'm not gonna get down there until peak heat of the day.  I like getting there early and leaving early in my old age.  But this thread inspires me to press on, hang in the back, and yell at clouds.  

Gonna be that guy at lay out my Friday plan:  Early James at 2:00p, Wet Leg, Vacations, Arlo Park/Benne shuffle (I travel light---koozie and a cell phone), Nathaniel Rateliff, and then Bill Strings.  Not a big fan, but Dixie Chicks sounded awesome from my porch last weekend so will stick around for a few songs.  

However, I doubt I'll get down there until 5:00p at this point.  And very willing to hear other suggestions for other bands to listen to earlier in the day from y'all (in case I get down there on time/even early).  

37 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

nothing budget about Slayyter's ass though.  

wife keeps piling shit on my plate for this weekend.  Between that and wanting to watch the whole ISU game before heading down there plus birthday parties 'n shit, I'm not gonna get down there until peak heat of the day.  I like getting there early and leaving early in my old age.  But this thread inspires me to press on, hang in the back, and yell at clouds.  

Gonna be that guy at lay out my Friday plan:  Early James at 2:00p, Wet Leg, Vacations, Arlo Park/Benne shuffle (I travel light---koozie and a cell phone), Nathaniel Rateliff, and then Bill Strings.  Not a big fan, but Dixie Chicks sounded awesome from my porch last weekend so will stick around for a few songs.  

However, I doubt I'll get down there until 5:00p at this point.  And very willing to hear other suggestions for other bands to listen to earlier in the day from y'all (in case I get down there on time/even early).  

Honestly were it not for whiney teenagers I would have plowed on from noon to close.  Its definitely a YOLO event for me.  Friday should be a good time.  Fill in any downtime with rando bands.  You never know.  Case in point... lots of buzz around this guy afterwards - https://www.statesman.com/story/entertainment/music/2022/10/08/genesis-owusus-energy-couldnt-be-denied-during-acl-music-fest-2022-set/69548593007/

Enjoy Wet Leg - I can find Friday wristbands now for $145 (or through the ACL page) but I'm not paying that to go see Wet Leg and maybe one more band.  I'm content with the bands I saw WE1.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Okay, so who is this playing right now?  I can make it out pretty good, I just have no idea who these songs are by.  Doesn't sound like a sound-check, they're doing full songs, then a full stop, then another full song.  Started just before 8:00p.  

I think it was the Dixie Chicks.  Whoever it was, drums drowned out the vocal feed.  But you could certainly make out violin/fiddle and some bass.  About 60-70 minute set.  Sounded good from porch but hard to make out singer(s). 

Pissed I'm gonna miss Wet Leg and Vacations early tomorrow, lucky to make it down by 5.  My old ass, I gotta do the back roller thing for awhile tonight before bed so I can stand for 5 hours in a row tomorrow.  Ah well, let's all have a swell time.

12 hours ago, YGIFS said:

I think it was the Dixie Chicks.  Whoever it was, drums drowned out the vocal feed.  But you could certainly make out violin/fiddle and some bass.  About 60-70 minute set.  Sounded good from porch but hard to make out singer(s). 

Pissed I'm gonna miss Wet Leg and Vacations early tomorrow, lucky to make it down by 5.  My old ass, I gotta do the back roller thing for awhile tonight before bed so I can stand for 5 hours in a row tomorrow.  Ah well, let's all have a swell time.

Had a convo with a client of mine today in Scotland... he is an executive as a pretty sizeable firm and, as we talked about ACL, he said he would lose respect for me if I didn't go to Wet Leg today.  Surely that's justification to expense a wristband for business purposes, right?

11 minutes ago, texasdago said:

Had a convo with a client of mine today in Scotland... he is an executive as a pretty sizeable firm and, as we talked about ACL, he said he would lose respect for me if I didn't go to Wet Leg today.  Surely that's justification to expense a wristband for business purposes, right?

I'm going to check them out if I get there early enough.  I have a Zoom call at 3:00, but I might be able to catch the end of the set.

50 minutes ago, texasdago said:

If you need me to, I'll sign off on the expense report.  Just don't use the word "convo" ever again.  

And yes, I realize I don't have that kinda sign-off authority, but I have been shift manager at an Arby's.  

5 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

If you need me to, I'll sign off on the expense report.  Just don't use the word "convo" ever again.  

And yes, I realize I don't have that kinda sign-off authority, but I have been shift manager at an Arby's.  

Maybe I can pretend you are a customer... do you have budget?  Sales teams?

Edited by texasdago

Well done.  Now there's a straight shooter with upper middle management written all over him! 

damn, it just got really hot in the last hour.  But the ladies parking in our neighborhood who park and walk down...why apparently they're having a tightest spandex contest and technology is losing.  In a good way.  Enjoy folks, hope to see you down there later.  

Edited by YGIFS

Also, that obnoxiously oversized garage by Plains Capital Bank on Bee Caves Road, right near Mopac.  They often block off the entrance on Bee Caves...but the entry behind Trader Joe's and the doctor's offices on the backside...they keep that open for employees leaving Friday afternoon and working on Saturdays.  You can drive into there and zig-zag to just shy of the bottom level (you don't want the security guy to see you, but as long as you don't park reserve-you don't need any kinda permit, and you don't want to have to bike all the way up the ramps after the shows).  So park there, zip out to Bee Caves, you'll be at the park in less than 10 minutes, bike racks are at Town Lake entrance between NW gate and Mopac pedesetrian bridge, 5 minute talk to entry gates if that.  And getting home is a breeze in terms of flow and hills.  

If that doesn't work, park on Liberty Park Drive (one driveway down on Mopac access from Bee Caves).  Turn aroudn at Barton Skyway by bike and take the downhill sidewalk on the northbound side into the park.  Little bit of a trek coming home though because of the undulation.  

Missing Arlo Parks and Benee, bummer.  One last quick call and then off to the Night Sweats, Billy Strings, and the Chicks.  Cooling down just a hint, it's a good thing.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Ah shit, just seeing this. . Your up way closer and braver than me.  I'll try and make my way over during Dixie chicks.  gonna go get some free sparkling water a spot of dinner as Billy Strings gets going.  Great flag, can't miss it.  Fuck, was farther back and in shade and just got mauled by mosquitoe s all sudden.  last half of Rateliff was awesome, like they went up to elven .  also, apparently no women under 30 are wearing pants this year.  high five

Ah shit, just seeing this. . Your up way closer and braver than me.  I'll try and make my way over during Dixie chicks.  gonna go get some free sparkling water a spot of dinner as Billy Strings gets going.  Great flag, can't miss it.  Fuck, was farther back and in shade and just got mauled by mosquitoe s all sudden.  last half of Rateliff was awesome, like they went up to elven .  also, apparently no women under 30 are wearing pants this year.  high five
Great flag, but unfortunately it's not ours. I just picked it as a mark so we wouldn't lose our chairs.

8 hours ago, YGIFS said:

Well done.  Now there's a straight shooter with upper middle management written all over him! 

damn, it just got really hot in the last hour.  But the ladies parking in our neighborhood who park and walk down...why apparently they're having a tightest spandex contest and technology is losing.  In a good way.  Enjoy folks, hope to see you down there later.  

Yeah, today was hot.  Today felt like last Sunday afternoon and was definitely busier than a week ago thanks to AISD being out.  I'll post pictures later but had a great sport for Wet Leg who put on a great show.  Seemed like a great crowd for a 2:30 Friday show.

Genesis Owusu... front railing and the energy of the shoe was amazing.  Dude went off...