2022 Boston Red Sox Thread

dbecks

Let the doubters doubt again. Last year was surprisingly decent… let’s see what’s in STORY again this season.

Still have Xander, even though he’s a below-average fielder at SS. JDM is still with the team as well, even if he’s declining fast.

Raffy Devers was offered an extension, but apparently he and the team are far apart on valuation.

Chris Sale is hurt. Again. 60-Day IL to start the year. Pitching will obviously be another huge question mark. Nate, Pivetta, Tanner Houck, Michael Wacha, and Rich Hill isn’t exactly an ideal rotation, but Garrett Whitlock being an anchor in the bullpen shows some promise.

But hey, they finally did something in the off-season. Trevor Story is good. Hopefully he can hit at Fenway like he did at Coors. (Don’t mind his road numbers…)

Opening Day vs the fucking Yanks is already postponed, the Jays are a popular pick to win the AL pennant, and the Rays are always gonna be the Rays. But at least they play the Orioles 19 times this year… Go Sox.

• Hook 'Em 1

Apparently they offered Xander 4/$90mil. Not a complete lowball, but still well below market value, especially for a “SS” in today’s game.

He’s guaranteed to walk after this year (Boras client, after all), but hopefully he has one more good contract year under his belt.

31 minutes ago, dbecks said:

Apparently they offered Xander 4/$90mil. Not a complete lowball, but still well below market value, especially for a “SS” in today’s game.

He’s guaranteed to walk after this year (Boras client, after all), but hopefully he has one more good contract year under his belt.

He’s gone, it is known.  He wants top 3 SS money.

1 hour ago, txhorns said:

Xander to 3rd, Story to SS and Devers/Dalbec handle first and DH after this year.

This would be really nice, but I doubt the Sox are going to spend the money - which is unfortunate.

Nice to see Houck really bounce back today. These are the games the Sox have to win this season with the AL East being so hot.

• Hook 'Em 1

Whitlock gets the start tonight. I’m sure he’s on a strict pitch count, but would be interesting see if he can get to the 4th or 5th.

Many suggested he should be a starter, but I didn’t think it would happen this early in the season.

That’s gotta be the most frustrating loss of the year so far. Hell, it could go down as the narrowest loss of the whole damn season.

No-hit thru 9, tied 0-0 into the 10th.

Sox finally get a hit and score 2 in the 10th.

Robles K’s the first two batters in the bottom of the 10th — Then balks the runner to 3rd.

Two outs, and a relatively routine grounder to 2nd is poorly thrown by “excellent-fielding SS” Trevor Story… and Kevin Kiermaier hits a walk-off HR to win it.

FUCK.

• Hook 'Em 2

Looks like we will be in Boston in September and they are at home vs the Yankee’s. Any pointers on trying to choose decent seats? Never been to Fenway and have no clue on where to try to sit. Will be there in September, games are Tuesday and Wednesday. Thanks for any pointers.

Looks like we will be in Boston in September and they are at home vs the Yankee’s. Any pointers on trying to choose decent seats? Never been to Fenway and have no clue on where to try to sit. Will be there in September, games are Tuesday and Wednesday. Thanks for any pointers.

Fenway is the best. A Tuesday/Wednesday game vs the Yanks should be a nice atmosphere… hopefully the games are still meaningful for the home team come September.

For a first timer, I would stick to the 1B/RF grandstand or box seats. (The box seats are usually worth the extra $20-30, just for the added room.) The grandstand is *very* cramped, but “historic,” as those actual seats are 100+ years old. But if you’re tall and/or wide, they can be quite uncomfortable by modern standards.

From the 1B side, you usually get a great view of the Monster, the field, and the CF scoreboard (as long as you’re not tucked away in the corner).

Seats are less plentiful on the 3B side, but occasionally you can find a good deal.

The bleachers are usually where the “rowdy” fans are, but it’s nowhere in comparison to what it was like 20-30 years ago. They’re obviously the “cheap” seats by Fenway standards.

I’ve never sat on the roof boxes 1B side, but I hear the views are worth the extra $$.

You can still buy face value seats from the Sox directly, even for those two Yankees games. If you’re targeting one in particular, I’d buy them sooner than later. It’ll eventually sell out.

Beyond that… show up early, take the T to Kenmore Square (unless you’re staying close to Fenway), take in the atmosphere along Jersey St/Van Ness St (they block off the streets well ahead of time), grab a bite & beer at the Cask n Flagon (or another of the countless bars outside of Fenway) beforehand, and enjoy yourself! Even if you’re not a Sox fan, it is objectively a cool and unique sports atmosphere.

If you show up early, you can sometimes sneak a view and a picture from the Monster seats, or if you wander around that area around the 7th or the 8th, you can usually find an usher to look the other way and let you venture up there and stand in a SRO spot for a bit.

Hey, they won tonight! Maybe they’ll play some meaningful games in September after all… either way, Fenway is the best. Let us know how it goes.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Nice start to the series in Arlington.

I’m heading to the game on Sunday. Seems like there’s a sizable Red Sox Nation group there for the whole weekend. Haven’t been to the new Globe Life… still kinda weird that it exists.

Go Sox.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, dbecks said:

Nice start to the series in Arlington.

I’m heading to the game on Sunday. Seems like there’s a sizable Red Sox Nation group there for the whole weekend. Haven’t been to the new Globe Life… still kinda weird that it exists.

Go Sox.

Just imagine a giant shopping mall with a baseball field in the middle instead of an ice skating rink