2022 Boston Red Sox Thread

dbecks

On 7/24/2022 at 12:10 PM, InkaUtexas said:

So lets just watch Papi enter the Hall of Fame and relish that team.

I was fortunate to get to catch a few games during the last two regular season series of papi’s career—at yankee stadium and then at Fenway. It was a memorable week.

The highlights:  I got to see mark teixeira hit a come-from-behind walk off grand slam (the last hr of his career, I was at his home debut in Arlington back in ‘03) on a dreary night in the Bronx, which was bonkers. The Sox clinched the division that night. Then in Boston, I got to see ortiz hit what would be the game-winning hr (the last of his career) in the opener vs the jays in downright miserable weather..not one person left early.

It wasn’t a good ending to the season (1-5 that week, kimbrel couldn’t throw strikes), but the sendoff for ortiz was nice. He was incredible in that final year.

Anyway, I watched the hof induction and thought I’d share the memories it brought back.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

So, we’re in last place in the AL East. I guess it’s time to sell.

It just worries me that the next 4-5 year trajectory of the club could be decided by this trade deadline.

Xander isn’t quite at Mookie’s level, but he’s played the most games ever at SS in club history. I still don’t think they should trade him unless another Verdugo-like trade is offered.

I really hope they don’t trade Vazquez, though. He’s gonna get a nice contract this off-season, but am still hoping for a modest hometown discount.

• Hook 'Em 1

Today, the Red Sox will try to avoid joining the 2022 Pirates and 1996 Tigers as the only teams in MLB history to go an entire calendar month without getting a win from a starting pitcher. Josh Winckowski is the only person who can prevent it.

Odd timing:

The Houston Astros are finalizing a deal to acquire catcher Christian Vázquez from the Boston Red Sox, sources tell ESPN. The Red Sox are playing in Houston tonight, so Vázquez presumably will just walk around the stadium to join his new teammates. And the Sox's sale begins.

• Hook 'Em 1

25 minutes ago, dbecks said:

Odd timing:

The Houston Astros are finalizing a deal to acquire catcher Christian Vázquez from the Boston Red Sox, sources tell ESPN. The Red Sox are playing in Houston tonight, so Vázquez presumably will just walk around the stadium to join his new teammates. And the Sox's sale begins.

Sucks we are losing him. Astros are getting one damn good player. So who is next? 

Also would like to wish Christian Vázquez well in the months and years ahead.

Drafted in 2008(!) out of Puerto Rico. Took him six(!) years until he made it to the bigs in 2014.

Missed all of 2015 with TJ surgery.

Grew into his own in 2017 and 2018 (when he got a RING — and the clinching HR to stave off the Yanks in the ALDS).

Last three years has been out-fucking-standing. Best catcher we’ve seen since ‘Tek. He’s gonna get a nice 4-5 year deal in free agency and deserves every penny of it.

Kinda hate that he’s going to the Astros for now, but he deserves another run. He’s a helluva lot better than Maldonado, although that doesn’t say much.

He was a real one. Buena suerte, Christian.

http://www.espn.com/video/clip/_/id/34330122

• Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, dbecks said:

Also would like to wish Christian Vázquez well in the months and years ahead.

Drafted in 2008(!) out of Puerto Rico. Took him six(!) years until he made it to the bigs in 2014.

Missed all of 2015 with TJ surgery.

Grew into his own in 2017 and 2018 (when he got a RING — and the clinching HR to stave off the Yanks in the ALDS).

Last three years has been out-fucking-standing. Best catcher we’ve seen since ‘Tek. He’s gonna get a nice 4-5 year deal in free agency and deserves every penny of it.

Kinda hate that he’s going to the Astros for now, but he deserves another run. He’s a helluva lot better than Maldonado, although that doesn’t say much.

He was a real one. Buena suerte, Christian.

http://www.espn.com/video/clip/_/id/34330122

https://youtu.be/amwMdSZusSY

7 hours ago, dbecks said:

Soooooo… they trade away Jay Groome, one of their very few decent pitching prospects.

Not as excited all of a sudden.

I'm convinced the Red Sox hate developing their own pitching. It's usually an issue in some fashion, but they're always trading away some of their best pitching prospects and then drafting myriad shortstops instead.

7 minutes ago, dbecks said:

Are we good again? Or do the Astros just suck?

Maybe August will be like June...

Doubt it.

Edited by MuellerHorn

2 hours ago, dbecks said:

According to the Elias Sports Bureau, yesterdays game vs the Orioles counts as a “series” somehow.

It is the first “series” against an AL East team the Red Sox have won all year.

Now I want to slam my dick in a car door for knowing that, so fuck you for that info.

56 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Fuck it, a win is a win. Now lets fuck up the Yankees.

Twice, Cedric Mullins got caught playing too shallow and had 400’ fly balls drop on the warning track in CF leading to BoSox runs.  Hosmer’s was especially baffling … I mean who plays him shallow?

On to Tampa Bay.

• Hook 'Em 1

40 minutes ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

Everyone should. Besides 38 games in the 'Rona season, he hasn't been good since '17. 

Wrong.  Tie game, 2 outs, JD “Wheels”Martinez on 1B.  A single wasn’t going to beat the O’s in that situation.

Call it whatever you want.  But to disrespect Hosmer and was stupid.