2022 No-Hitter/Perfect Game Watch

shadow_operative2.0

If he stays perfect I think he stays in.  If he gives up a hit, comes out.  The only question for me is, if someone gets on by means other than a hit.  He's had a nono before but not a perfect game. The way he's going I don't see him walking anyone or HBP but an E might be possible.

Edited by shakahorn

2 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I mean, I was thinking/hoping Kershaw might be washed.  Guess not.  Just what the dodgers need, a Cy Young veteran making peanuts and being amongst the best pitchers in the game.  Awesome.  

yes that is exactly what this means

19 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Maybe yes.  Maybe no.  Maybe go fuck yourself- gif.

I'm not above a bit of fatalism with a heavy dose of reverse jinx.  

I know you (online) well enough to think it was a lot of both

• Hook 'Em 1

I mean, I was thinking/hoping Kershaw might be washed.  Guess not.  Just what the dodgers need, a Cy Young veteran making peanuts and being amongst the best pitchers in the game.  Awesome.  

giphy.gif

Also looking forward to adding Bauer in a few weeks.

As to yanking him, the more I've thought about it, the more I agree with it. Kershaw has missed a ton of time, including the playoffs last year, due to injury. Shortened spring, first start. Yeah, it was the right call. He has agreed with it in postgame pressers. Barnes said the slider wasn't as crisp in the 7th. We need him in October. He would have needed a minimum 100 pitches to finish, probably more. Can't do it.

4 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

giphy.gif

Also looking forward to adding Bauer in a few weeks. emoji12.png

As to yanking him, the more I've thought about it, the more I agree with it. Kershaw has missed a ton of time, including the playoffs last year, due to injury. Shortened spring, first start. Yeah, it was the right call. He has agreed with it in postgame pressers. Barnes said the slider wasn't as crisp in the 7th. We need him in October. He would have needed a minimum 100 pitches to finish, probably more. Can't do it.

Or he would have needed 86. We will never know. 

54 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

As to yanking him, the more I've thought about it, the more I agree with it. Kershaw has missed a ton of time, including the playoffs last year, due to injury. Shortened spring, first start. Yeah, it was the right call.

Hell yes, it was the right call.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, WBT said:

Such bullshit.  At some point do you not think that the point of all this is to entertain the paying customers?

Well, the point is to win a championship.  And it was on the road.  In freezing ass Minnesota.  Not sure Roberts did, or should, give 2 shits about the Minnie fans.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

i will never buy into the idea that preventing Clayton Kershaw from pitching to 1-6 extra hitters today has any effect whatsoever on the outcome of the dodgers season. his arm was not going to fall off if he stayed in the game. 

That easily could have been 30+ more pitches.  And he didn't get a proper spring training.  And he's 34 with well over 2,000 Major League innings on that arm.  And the Dodgers are World Series contenders.  Etc.

Any manager who lets a star risk injury pursuing an individual accolade when the team is a legit contender for a championship ought to be fired immediately.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

That easily could have been 30+ more pitches.  And he didn't get a proper spring training.  And he's 34 with well over 2,000 Major League innings on that arm.  And the Dodgers are World Series contenders.  Etc.

Any manager who lets a star risk injury pursuing an individual accolade when the team is a legit contender for a championship ought to be fired immediately.

Kershaw knows his own body, and he said he wanted to stay out there. i don't buy that he was potentially on the verge of injuring himself due to overuse of his arm. 

one of two things happens if he stays in: 

1)he gives up a base runner and he gets pulled

2)he throws a perfect game

there have been more than 220,000 games pitched in the 140 years that baseball has been around, and only 23 times has a perfect game taken place. the perfect game is a "holy grail" type of achievement, and Kershaw, who's already got Cy Young Awards, an MVP, a World Series ring, etc, should have been put back out there until he gave up a base runner, or at least until he got around 95-100 pitches. i'll never believe that those extra few pitches would have had any affect on Clayton Kershaw's arm. 

• Hook 'Em 5

25 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

I cant think of a single time where a pitcher has gotten hurt throwing deep into a perfect game.

This is like if a golfer were forced to quit after 16 holes when they only need 2 pars to shoot a 59.

Edited by Pam Cummings
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:
19 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:
I cant think of a single time where a pitcher has gotten hurt throwing deep into a perfect game.

This is like if a golfer were forced to quit after 16 holes when they only need 2 pars to shoot a 59.

Johan Santana

Yep. What did he throw like 140 pitches. 
That said with the way this off-season went Kershaw throwing 105 tonight might have been like 140 then. 

let's discuss the opposite of that: how many Asian pitchers spent their entire lives throwing insane amounts of pitches with zero problems, only to come to America and have American coaches put them on pitch counts and restrict their throwing on off days, only to see the Asian pitcher end up injuring his pitching arm? That has happened a shit ton of times, way more times than you name where someone throwing a no-no led to an injured arm. especially after 80 total pitches. 

btw, i don't know how many of you watched any of the game today, but it was probably the best he's ever pitched in his life. he wasn't getting touched today, and he didn't even seem to break a sweat. there's no chance he was going to labor through two more innings. it would have ended quickly, one way or the other. 

Edited by shadow_operative

So on this note, did you guys hear about this Japanese kid (and I do mean KID) from over the weekend?

From the Defector article that drew my attention (sorry if paywalled):

https://defector.com/there-are-perfect-games-and-then-theres-what-roki-sasaki-just-did/

Lotte Marines starting pitcher Roki Sasaki, who is just 20 years old, pitched a perfect game against the Orix Buffaloes on Sunday, in which he struck out 19 batters, threw just 105 pitches, and at one point struck out 13 consecutive hitters.

I know it's not the Majors, but ...

shocked holy shit GIF

That's kind of good.

42 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:
59 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

Johan Santana*

*Maybe

But it seems the twisted ankle a month later is what really did him in. He went 3-2 with a 3.60 ERA, including 8 shutout innings against the Dodgers, in the 5 starts between the no hitter and that game.

2 hours ago, Captain Ron said:

So on this note, did you guys hear about this Japanese kid (and I do mean KID) from over the weekend?

From the Defector article that drew my attention (sorry if paywalled):

https://defector.com/there-are-perfect-games-and-then-theres-what-roki-sasaki-just-did/

I know it's not the Majors, but ...

shocked holy shit GIF

That's kind of good.

very few pitchers in Japan throwing that hard. hitters aren't used to facing it. i'm not surprised to see that the guy who threw this game is throwing 101 with a killer forkball to supplement it. i imagine it's similar to facing a guy with DeGrom's fastball and Clemens' splitter, or Lincecum's split-change.

Edited by shadow_operative

As a teenager, I was pissed when Preston Gomez pinch hit for Don Wilson in the bottom of the 8th while Wilson was pitching a no hitter. In September. 1974. Wasn’t the first time Gomez did that to one of his pitchers.

https://www.nytimes.com/1974/09/05/archives/gomez-again-lifts-pitcher-in-nohitter-astros-wilson-removed-during.html

Edit to add: Would have been his 3rd no-hitter

Edited by Victor Lazlo