2022 No-Hitter/Perfect Game Watch

shadow_operative2.0

7 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

let's discuss the opposite of that: how many Asian pitchers spent their entire lives throwing insane amounts of pitches with zero problems, only to come to America and have American coaches put them on pitch counts and restrict their throwing on off days, only to see the Asian pitcher end up injuring his pitching arm? That has happened a shit ton of times, way more times than you name where someone throwing a no-no led to an injured arm. especially after 80 total pitches. 

Yeah not to mention that if Dave Roberts is such a genius and if these methods work so well, why do they only have 1 world series with all that talent? Dude holds the team back imo.

10 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

Kershaw knows his own body, and he said he wanted to stay out there. i don't buy that he was potentially on the verge of injuring himself due to overuse of his arm. 

one of two things happens if he stays in: 

1)he gives up a base runner and he gets pulled

2)he throws a perfect game

there have been more than 220,000 games pitched in the 140 years that baseball has been around, and only 23 times has a perfect game taken place. the perfect game is a "holy grail" type of achievement, and Kershaw, who's already got Cy Young Awards, an MVP, a World Series ring, etc, should have been put back out there until he gave up a base runner, or at least until he got around 95-100 pitches. i'll never believe that those extra few pitches would have had any affect on Clayton Kershaw's arm. 

Everyone understands how rare it is.  And of course Kershaw said he wanted to go back out there.  He's a competitor.

And it's not about getting injured throwing deep into that game.  It's about cumulative stress on an arm over a 6-month season, combined with the fact that his arm is still in spring training mode.  There is a reason that no one throws more than about 50 pitches in his first spring start.  And there is a reason that no one is being allowed to throw 100+ pitches right now.  Especially an aging, injury-prone ace on a World Series contender.

A better argument for you would've been "Kershaw sucks in the playoffs anyway, so let him hurt himself because I wanna see something cool."  Because the "there was no risk of injury" argument is a really bad one, no offense.

6 hours ago, Pam Cummings said:

Yeah not to mention that if Dave Roberts is such a genius and if these methods work so well, why do they only have 1 world series with all that talent? Dude holds the team back imo.

I don't know anyone, especially Dodger fans, who think Roberts is genius.

14 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

Kershaw knows his own body, and he said he wanted to stay out there. i don't buy that he was potentially on the verge of injuring himself due to overuse of his arm. 

one of two things happens if he stays in: 

1)he gives up a base runner and he gets pulled

2)he throws a perfect game

there have been more than 220,000 games pitched in the 140 years that baseball has been around, and only 23 times has a perfect game taken place. the perfect game is a "holy grail" type of achievement, and Kershaw, who's already got Cy Young Awards, an MVP, a World Series ring, etc, should have been put back out there until he gave up a base runner, or at least until he got around 95-100 pitches. i'll never believe that those extra few pitches would have had any affect on Clayton Kershaw's arm. 

It was also like in the 40's temp wise.  You don't have to believe it would have any effect.  Your opinion doesn't matter.  He was coming off a major arm injury with a shortened spring.  He knows it was the right call.  Of course he said he wanted to go back out.  He has to say that.  But he didn't blink when told he wasn't.  It's Roberts' job to take that bullet.

• Hook 'Em 1

Got himself to a 3-1 count then dotted a curve outside to make it 3-2.....then a single kills it. Now a walk. He is having an amazing game though. Not sure he needs to go anymore in this game after this inning. He is up to 80 pitches.

12Ks though tying career high so far

26 minutes ago, Scraps said:

Got himself to a 3-1 count then dotted a curve outside to make it 3-2.....then a single kills it. Now a walk. He is having an amazing game though. Not sure he needs to go anymore in this game after this inning. He is up to 80 pitches.

12Ks though tying career high so far

and a walk with run scored, a 2 run double, and a fucking bunt for a single.

He's a 20 something version of the best kid in little league. 

10 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

martin perez (rangers) vs astros has a perfect game going 

Why the fuck are they playing in the early afternoon on a Thursday?

also wasn’t verlander pitching the game that Colon went into the 9th with one for Texas a couple seasons ago?

Edited by Pato del Muerto
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, Helobious said:

The brewers statistically are nowhere close to as good as the Yankees are. Dodgers have an argument I guess.

most mlb observers would call these staffs pretty damn even:

34D989D1-CF29-4EAE-9CF8-AB60BE32F789.thumb.jpeg.d89abf3f1254b637d1dab57d9ab4b7cc.jpeg

DB162E4F-F413-4F96-8365-EF2C3E8509E0.thumb.jpeg.f2c6ff760a89357eb122cb851766ba71.jpeg

vs

7F613F86-2C9B-4650-83A0-D43AF9773C7E.thumb.jpeg.ff52cdb80334af48f1b0fc52a827eb61.jpeg

12D6B1B0-8B5A-4447-94B7-7D4C2A7A6029.thumb.jpeg.41a6366419f4b7dc0efe7b7b31f50ee5.jpeg

the only thing about these two staffs that's "nowhere close" is the starting rotation, where it's Milwaukee > NYY.

Edited by shadow_operative

1 hour ago, shadow_operative said:

most mlb observers would call these staffs pretty damn even:

34D989D1-CF29-4EAE-9CF8-AB60BE32F789.thumb.jpeg.d89abf3f1254b637d1dab57d9ab4b7cc.jpeg

DB162E4F-F413-4F96-8365-EF2C3E8509E0.thumb.jpeg.f2c6ff760a89357eb122cb851766ba71.jpeg

vs

7F613F86-2C9B-4650-83A0-D43AF9773C7E.thumb.jpeg.ff52cdb80334af48f1b0fc52a827eb61.jpeg

12D6B1B0-8B5A-4447-94B7-7D4C2A7A6029.thumb.jpeg.41a6366419f4b7dc0efe7b7b31f50ee5.jpeg

the only thing about these two staffs that's "nowhere close" is the starting rotation, where it's Milwaukee > NYY.

The Brewers are 10th in team ERA, Yankees 2nd. There’s no world where Milwaukee’s staff is anywhere near as good as NY’s but go off sis.

46 minutes ago, Helobious said:

The Brewers are 10th in team ERA, Yankees 2nd. There’s no world where Milwaukee’s staff is anywhere near as good as NY’s but go off sis.

Milwaukee's starters are considerably better/more proven than those of NYY, and the two bullpens are both very strong. NYY probably has the deeper bullpen, but Milwaukee has the better high leverage guys. Hader is the best reliever in baseball, and Devin Williams is one of the 2-3 best set up guys in the game. the idea that the yankees staff makes milwaukee's staff look like bad news bears is dumb and uninformed. so, i guess i don't know what else i expected. 

9 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

The rules are: the thread is allowed to be bumped during a no-hit bid…by a fan of a team not involved in said no-hit bid.

I think that's acceptable. Although I think Astros fans should be allowed to comment on one of their own pitchers working on a no hitter as much as they'd like in here.