2022 NBA Offseason Thread — Trades, Free Agency, Firings, Sacramento doing dumb things, etc

Patrick Bateman

Wonder if there is any way Miami would swallow their pride and bring back LeBron to finish out his career with the Heat.  They seem to be getting tired of Jimmy Butler.  If they flame out early in the playoffs, maybe they could do something like:  Lebron + Anthony Davis for Jimmy Butler + Kyle Lowry + Oladipo + salary matching (PJ Tucker?) + picks.

Miami could start: T Herro + D Robinson + LeBron + AD + Adebayo  - That gives defense, shooting, scoring and championship pedigree

In return, LA gets to turn the page on the LeBron saga and start rebuilding.  They get gritty, winning players in Butler and Lowry who have a few more years left. Combine them with Westbrook and Dipo and maybe pick up the pace. Westbrook comes off the books the next year and Lowry the year after. By then maybe the Miami picks start kicking in and they will have a ton of money in free agency. 

Miami would be stupid to do this BTW, but who knows what they will do if they flame out early and get sick of Jimmy Buckets.

• 1 month later...

Injuries have ruined him..... If he can get back on the court and show something, he may be a small trade chip.

According to a story from Bleacher Report, John Wall could be bought out by Houston if a trade partner isn't found, and the Clippers are a likely landing spot.

Wall will exercise his $47.4M player option for next season and will be the second-highest paid player in the league behind only Steph Curry. His mega-deal is going to be extremely difficult to trade, but Houston could explore a buyout. According to Bleacher Report, "If Wall is bought out, he would join the pool of unrestricted free agents, and league sources have mentioned the Los Angeles Clippers and Miami Heat as possible landing spots." The article mentions that the Clippers would be the most likely destination, but both Miami and LA are short on quality point guard depth, and Wall still averaged better than 20 points and six dimes across 40 appearances in 2020-21. He would be a great addition to either squad, and whether bought out or traded, it's unlikely he plays for Houston again.

Again, these contracts (Wall, Westbrook, etc) are hard to move unless for each other...... Buying him out is probably best for both parties, but Rockets are going to eat a shit ton for the right to have him play for someone else.

Harden suitors should be taking note..... he could be the next god awful contract.

Marks warned ya..... No extension.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

They must be keeping the lid on that pretty good. When Seattle was trying to pull in the NHL franchise it was all over local media for months or even a full year before anything was formally announced. Have not heard anything about NBA yet.

8 hours ago, Llogg said:

They must be keeping the lid on that pretty good. When Seattle was trying to pull in the NHL franchise it was all over local media for months or even a full year before anything was formally announced. Have not heard anything about NBA yet.

There has been talk of it for years.  Lord knows they don't need more teams but they'll do it for the money.  Instead of two new teams, they should move the Kings to Seattle and the Pelicans to Vegas, if those are the cities getting teams.  While they're at it, move the Grizzlies to Nashville.

I highly doubt Vegas could support an NBA team.  That's 42 games per year, all at night.  Vegas' main industry works at night.  People aren't flying to Vegas for games like they do with NFL games, which there are only 8.

2 hours ago, RexWilson said:

East

Memphis, Atl, Orlando, Miami

Detroit, Milwaukee, Chicago, Indiana

Cle, Charlotte, wash, Phil

Ny, brook, tor, bos

The Euro division is coming.  It will be some combo of relocated small market teams and expansion teams, but there will be 5 or 6 teams over there in the next 10-20 years.

I'm not sure why they even have divisions any more. What exactly is the point? And honestly, do they even need conferences any more in this day and age of private travel?  It seems like every year teams in one conference or the other miss the playoffs just because of geography. I think they would be better off going to a balanced schedule and making sure that the best 16 teams actually make the playoffs every season.

The Hornets were 1 game better than the Clippers and 7 games better than the Pelicans in a tougher conference and ended up #10 in the East and had to play two road games to make the playoffs. They didn't win and ended up shit canning their coach. They would have been #8 in the west. They were 9 games better than the Spurs who were #10 in the west. The Knicks were 3 games better than the Spurs, again playing better competition, and missed the play-in altogether. 

I think they should keep the divisions but do away with the scheduling model. Have a series of tournaments hosted by each team. Reduced travel overall. Reduced strain of back to backs. Improved access to fans who are no longer constrained by geography in the she of global media. A Knicks fan in Sacramento is not a weird thing.

36 teams. No conferences or divisions.   Play everyone home and home.  70 games total.  Stick 6 of those teams in Europe and every American-based team makes one 6-game road trip over there every year.  Increase in European television rights would more than offset the fewer number of games.  Fewer games would mean you could give 2-3 days off on the front end and back end of overseas travel.  Scheduling would be a bitch, but replacing some combo of the Sacramento/Memphis/NO/OKC/Orlando tv markets with London/Paris/Berlin/Madrid/Amsterdam would be a big win.

15 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

^^^
That’s a fun idea but how bad would the product be with that much dilution of talent? The NBA is already at the bottom of the parity tree amongst professional leagues. 

You would obviously have to space it out.  I haven’t really thought through the details.  The last time they added Vancouver/Toronto/Miami/Orlando in 2 years and it was a bit of a disaster for a while IIRC.  Both for the expansion teams and the depth lost by the good teams via the expansion draft.  I don’t think there is a shortage of NBA quality players, but there is certainly a shortage of superstars.

Orlando got Shaq and Penny pretty quickly and we’re good pretty quickly once that happened. Miami got Mourning and got pretty good.  Vancouver got Big Country and relocated, and I can’t remember who Toronto tried to build around initially.  They eventually got Vince Carter and became pretty good, but that was several years later.  

43 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Red Raider is now the Head Coach for Lakers... Darvin Ham

What former Longhorn players have coached as an assistant or Head Coach in NBA??

Royal Ivey has been an assistant in NBA

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Like 1

Sort of "duh" news story, but it probably means Jokic will give Denver two more years before reassessing if the team around him is good enough...... could be more, I don't know his affection for the city, but Denver took a huge chance with MPJ and it looks like thus far, it's going to blow up in their face.  Need to get some talent around the guy.

I'm going to need a cap expert to tell me what Golden State's luxury tax bill of going to be in 2 years. Eleventy billion dollars, give or take?

They'll pay it because they're competing for Championships again (so much for the team that "likely would have been one and done" had KD not joined), but holy fuck.

-Steph, Klay, and Dray are owed $123M on their own in 2023-24.

-How much do they--can they--offer GPII after this season?

-They can't let Looney walk in the off-season after the playoffs that he's had with Wiseman still being a question mark.

-Do they let Wiggins walk for nothing after next season like I'm sure was originally the plan before he blossomed like this?

-How much do they offer Poole after next season?

They're nice first world problems to have, I guess. Not going to find a better 10-deep mix of proven vets in their late prime, early-mid prime studs, and young talent on their rookie deals.

Steph

Klay

Dray

Wiggins

Looney

Poole

Kuminga

Wiseman

Moody

GPII

[insert skilled vet ring chasers]

Should be good for a long time. Great if Poole or Kuminga really pop to take the load off of Steph in his late-30s. If they're willing to pay for it, that is.

Obviously GSW would have been competitive any year they had healthy Steph and healthy Klay, but part of the calculus in saying they would have been one and done without KD is that KD would have been on some other competitive team. He could have joined LeBron and won 3 rings in a row. He could have joined the Celtics and made things interesting in the East. He could have sped up the Process in Philly, maybe even influencing their pick in the 2016 draft. Could he have signed with the Spurs even? Man, that would have been a nice team. I know what-ifs are worthless, but it's not unreasonable to say the Warriors would only have the one ring without KD.

As for the Warriors off season, Poole and Wiggins have probably played themselves into larger contracts than the Warriors can stomach. They are probably gone unless they are willing to offer a hometown discount to the team (which they shouldn't). Looney is a fine player but he's not really a key piece. If you think there's any chance Wiseman can give you similar production on both ends of the floor you should be fine letting Looney leave.

With the caveat that major injuries could still happen in the finals or offseason, and we still have the offseason free agency/trades on the horizon, I was thinking about how strong the West is going to be at the top next year, how competitive it'll be for the 6th spot to avoid the play-in, and also how there might not be much of a margin for error in the regular season for making sure you get the 10th spot vs what I think is an 11-13 tier that'll be trying to get that spot since they shouldn't be in tank mode

How do you guys think about this loose set of power rankings, and what are your thoughts about the West at this point?

(the order of teams within teams are more or less interchangeable and arguable)

Favorites
1) Warriors
2) Clippers

Contenders but not quite favorites
3) Mavericks
4) Nuggets
5) Grizzlies

Good "82 game" teams that might finish in the top 6, but probably will struggle to beat the teams above in a playoff series, because the teams above should be really damn good and are built to be "16 game" teams
6) T-Wolves
7) Suns
8')Pelicans

These teams better play hard all / stay healthy season or they might miss the 10th seed
9) Jazz
10) Lakers

Outside looking in right now, but these teams seem motivated to try and make the play-in, and might be able to if they get better int he offseason and stay healthy
11) Trail Blazers
12) Spurs
13) Kings

Tanking teams
14) OKC
14) Houston

• Hook 'Em 1

Think you’re a little high with the clippers just because of age and lack of point guard. Reggie jackson Is their only true floor general. They almost have too many wings with board favorite Kawhi coming back.

I just can’t get behind Dallas’ make up after Luka

Golden state and Phoenix(cp3) is only going to slow down because of father time. Thank god we hopefully don’t have another 5 years of splash bro dominance.

West should be a gong show next year. I’m sure teams like GS, clippers and CP3 care very little about home court seeding and will concede some games in January/February to save their aging stars

On 5/28/2022 at 5:50 PM, Llogg said:

As for the Warriors off season, Poole and Wiggins have probably played themselves into larger contracts than the Warriors can stomach. They are probably gone unless they are willing to offer a hometown discount to the team (which they shouldn't).

If Poole improves on this season, and shows that he is--or is very soon going to be--an All-Star caliber player, they pretty much have no choice but to pay him. You don't let young stars that you drafted walk for nothing. Especially when your cap is such that you have no other mechanism to obtain an All-Star in the foreseeable future.

Poole will be a restricted free agent if he doesn't sign something before the end of next season, so teams are going to drive up the price. It's going to hurt, even for a franchise rolling in money.

The caveat is Wiggins. If he plays like he has recently over the course of a full season--and they get back to the Finals or close to it--they may pick Wiggins over Poole. A lengthy wing who can defend the league's premier players is more valuable than a scoring guard.

I would be shocked to see the Warriors do anything but ride the Curry/Klay train as long as they can. Especially if they think they have something in Kuminga (I think they do) and Moody (jury's out), whose timeline for a payday contract might better match the timeline for sunsetting Curry/Klay.

4 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Probably need to think post curry/klay here soon. 22YO scoring guard or 27YO “3&D” that’s proven you’ll never win with him as a primary scoring option.

I’d probably roll with Poole assuming Steph is the first to slow down Vs klay

Oh, for sure, in a vacuum, I'm taking Poole over Wiggins all day, every day. Younger with a higher ceiling. Maybe he can be the #2 (or 3) on a championship caliber team someday. Love that dude's confidence and game. 

And, given his history, there's a better chance than not that Wiggins goes back to being a quiet, 3&D, fourth or fifth option with Klay back and the young guys coming into their own. In which case, he's expendable and not worth his contract. But, if he can prove that his performance in the WCF isn't just a flash in the pan, and he's consistently giving them 19 and 7, attacking the rim on offense, and playing 1st team All-NBA defense...it at least complicates the decision. It's not a coincidence that the #1 and #2 defenses are playing in the Finals. Dray's the 2nd most important piece to their dynasty, but he's probably getting past the point in his career where Dray + 4 random dudes from the park = A Top 5 defense. They may prioritize defense to maximize Steph's waning years as a superstar.

Or, they keep them both and pretend like money isn't a thing that exists.

The thing about Wiggins is that he's been grossly overpaid for years. That was an all time terrible contract from the wolves that cost them a top 10 pick to unload. But he took a ton of criticism along with it and got scapegoated for much of that team's failures. I don't think it's unreasonable for him to come back on a decently team friendly deal. He's got an ideal situation basketball-wise and I'm not sure what his worth is to another franchise.

Who is going to over pay him and is the money worth it for him to be held responsible for another team's success or failure? Why sign up for that again when he can chase rings, undeservedly make the all star team, and if anything goes wrong the fans and media just point the finger at Steph, Klay, Draymond or Kerr?

I always wonder what his career would have been if the Cavs didn't dump him for Love. I thought he could have been Lebron's Pippen, although his ceiling was never that high. But that was a place he could have grown into the role he's currently playing and the Cavs would have had more cap to add another front court piece without Love's contract. They could have built something long term but instant gratification GM LeBron wasn't having any of that. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 5/27/2022 at 7:36 PM, LTtxfan said:

Red Raider is now the Head Coach for Lakers

Darvin Ham

What former Longhorn players have coached as an assistant or Head Coach in NBA??

Royal Ivey has been an assistant in NBA

Matt Hill, who was part of Kevin Durant's and DJ Augustin's 2006 recruiting class is on the Hawks' coaching staff.

Matt Hill.jpg