2022 NBA Offseason Thread — Trades, Free Agency, Firings, Sacramento doing dumb things, etc

Patrick Bateman

The Detroit Pistons are trading forward Jerami Grant to the Portland Trail Blazers for a 2025 first-round pick via the Milwaukee Bucks, sources told ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski.

The 2025 first-round pick via Milwaukee is protected Nos. 1-4, sources said. Detroit sends Grant into a $21 million trade exception, and the Pistons now have $43 million in salary cap space for free agency.

13 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

too bad for Detroit the FA market kind of sucks.  They're rumored to have interest in Collin Sexton, but if Ivey drops to them tomorrow, that's that.

Also supposed to be hot for Ayton but obviously PHX can match anything they offer so it would take a minor miracle for that to happen.

The Detroit Pistons are trading forward Jerami Grant to the Portland Trail Blazers for a 2025 first-round pick via the Milwaukee Bucks, sources told ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski.

The 2025 first-round pick via Milwaukee is protected Nos. 1-4, sources said. Detroit sends Grant into a $21 million trade exception, and the Pistons now have $43 million in salary cap space for free agency.

Edited by Dutchrudder

I think we're going to see a shit load of trades over the next 24 hours. Lots of teams with multiple picks and the free agent class is pretty meh. 

Also... Speaking of free agents, the Pistons could have cleared space to make a run at Ayton. That's going to be one of the more interesting things to go down this summer to see what Phoenix does. 

9 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

I thought for sure Cleveland should have kept Wiggins at the time. He could have turned into the exact role player he is now for the Warriors and would have played perfectly off of Lebron. He could have been his Scottie Pippen, ish. They also would have had a cap pace to sign a decent big instead of Love. It was short sighted, and emblematic of Lebron's shitty GM skills. It would have set Cleveland up for years -- notwithstanding Kyrie being a fucking idiot.

Re: Kawhi... he was never going to stay in San Antonio. It was never about winning for him. He just wanted to live in LA, be close to home. 

Every team needs a 5th option making 30 million

45 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

Not a fan of Jerami Grant.  At all.  He's at best a 3rd banana who thinks he's much better than he is.

I guess. I mean if he's a difference maker for your team, your team probably isn't very good, but that describes Portland right now. 

14 minutes ago, Llogg said:

I guess. I mean if he's a difference maker for your team, your team probably isn't very good, but that describes Portland right now. 

Portland needs to go full OKC, trade all of their tradeable assets away for future picks, and go all in on the Victor W sweepstakes, er, 2023 draft.  Instead, they'll keep spinning their wheels to 30-35 wins from now until Lillard has one foot in the grave.

5 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

Maybe KD can force his way to the Cavs and make them contenders. Get a ring in Cleveland and see how that helps his legacy. Get 2 and outdo Lebron!

Wha?  KD may be fucked here..... Let's face it, every team who relies on Irving eventually gets fucked.  Mercurial and volatile aren't words which typically help a franchise.  He can ball, no doubt, but he just can't be trusted.  They'll have to max him and that's probably a bad choice as well.

The Cleveland Cavaliers have acquired the 49th pick in tonight’s NBA Draft from the Sacramento Kings (from Chicago via Memphis) in exchange for cash considerations and the draft rights to Aleksandar Vezenkov, Cavaliers President of Basketball Operations Koby Altman announced today from Cleveland Clinic Courts. The Cavaliers now have picks 14, 39, 49 and 56 in the draft.

22 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

The Cleveland Cavaliers have acquired the 49th pick in tonight’s NBA Draft from the Sacramento Kings (from Chicago via Memphis) in exchange for cash considerations and the draft rights to Aleksandar Vezenkov, Cavaliers President of Basketball Operations Koby Altman announced today from Cleveland Clinic Courts. The Cavaliers now have picks 14, 39, 49 and 56 in the draft.

I can say with about 100% certainty that the Cavs will not be walking out of tonight with 4 rookies.  My guess is that they are trying to do something to trade back up into the late 1st in the hopes that Dalen Terry is still there.

1 minute ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Wha?  KD may be fucked here..... Let's face it, every team who relies on Irving eventually gets fucked.  Mercurial and volatile aren't words which typically help a franchise.  He can ball, no doubt, but he just can't be trusted.  They'll have to max him and that's probably a bad choice as well.

I think Kyrie is going to opt out or force a trade. If that happens, KD will likely request a trade and sit out until it happens. So we get to play another fun round of "Where will KD go?" I think his best Eastern team options would be Boston or Miami, but it sure would be fun to see him go to Cleveland and join a promising young core to become title contenders. Getting a ring or two there would be like one-upping Lebron, which would be entertaining. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Dutchrudder said:

I think Kyrie is going to opt out or force a trade. If that happens, KD will likely request a trade and sit out until it happens. So we get to play another fun round of "Where will KD go?" I think his best Eastern team options would be Boston or Miami, but it sure would be fun to see him go to Cleveland and join a promising young core to become title contenders. Getting a ring or two there would be like one-upping Lebron, which would be entertaining. 

He'd never be as beloved in Cleveland as Lebron would..... I see that as a very low probability.  I'm going to guess the Knicks and maybe a Sixers would be near his list.  Otherwise, probably ship him out West.

Paolo, Paolo, Paolo....

13 hours ago, Dutchrudder said:

Honestly I think it would be Miami. 

If KD actually still cares about playing basketball with Kyrie--and even hints to the front office that he may want to leave without him--then Brooklyn will bite the bullet and give Kyrie most of what he wants. Which is where I think we'll eventually arrive. Just surprised that it hasn't happened yet.

I really don't know what the Knicks were doing last night. It looks to me like they gave up the 11th pick last night and two future 2nd round picks for a top-4 protected first rounder in 2025 and the ability to not pay Kemba. I know they technically got other picks but those are so heavily protected coming from teams that are likely to continue to suck that I can't imagine they convey. If they do convey, it still means they'll  be late picks. This seems like a move you make if your team made a Cinderella run through the playoffs and you're trying to keep room for free agents that can help you build on success immediately. That's not the Knicks. They need a ton of help. The book on Randle is written, he's not the guy. They should have been shipping him and Kemba out for picks in this deep draft, not giving away picks for nothing.

49 minutes ago, Llogg said:

I really don't know what the Knicks were doing last night. It looks to me like they gave up the 11th pick last night and two future 2nd round picks for a top-4 protected first rounder in 2025 and the ability to not pay Kemba. I know they technically got other picks but those are so heavily protected coming from teams that are likely to continue to suck that I can't imagine they convey. If they do convey, it still means they'll  be late picks. This seems like a move you make if your team made a Cinderella run through the playoffs and you're trying to keep room for free agents that can help you build on success immediately. That's not the Knicks. They need a ton of help. The book on Randle is written, he's not the guy. They should have been shipping him and Kemba out for picks in this deep draft, not giving away picks for nothing.

It doesn't make a ton of sense, but I think they are going full rebuild mode and just trying to stockpile as many picks as they can. OKC lite. They were in cap hell for 100 years chasing free agents and that didn't work. They finally got out from under it and were half ass competitive for one season, but it was mostly fool's gold. They don't have a single foundational piece unless you really believe in RJ Barrett but what is his ceiling? Third best player on a contender? I do like Quickley but the rest of that roster is dogshit. There is no value for Randle unless a contender gets really desperate at the deadline and pushes all its chips in the middle of the table. He's got four more years at about $26M per. Nobody sane is taking that contract without some assets coming with it. The smart move would be for them to tank, stockpile picks, hope to strike gold in the draft in the next couple of years to build a young core, all th while clearing cap to sign a big time free agent should one become available who wants the NY spotlight and thinks he can be the difference to put them over the top. I think that's the plan.

Are they still paying Alan Houston?

Rebuilds are a 5-10 year process, minimum. and it’s hard to sell your fan base that, unless you’re Miami and can sell your city to attract free agents alone.

You need to hit your lottery luck and also lottery picks. Wolves have 15 years of blown lottery picks since 2004 outside of kat and ant.GS was able to do it by not winning the lottery and getting the “prize of the draft”, same with Milwaukee.

But any lebron, Duncan, Jordan led championship required lottery luck.

1 hour ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Wait a minute.... Scratch everything I just wrote. I just realized they are going to give Jalen Brunson a completely obscene contract that they will be dying to unload in two years. You are correct. They are idiots. Fucking Knicks.

Oh yeah that definitely is the plan.   Insane, but the plan.  Max Brunson then complain next yr when he isn't Giannis/KD level.