2022 NBA Offseason Thread — Trades, Free Agency, Firings, Sacramento doing dumb things, etc

Patrick Bateman

1 hour ago, aggie08 said:

The opposite. He got docked for home games. He got paid for road games because, technically, he was eligible to play in most arenas away from Brooklyn, and it was the team not letting him.

At least he avoided some hefty state and city income taxes on those home games. 

6 minutes ago, Baboontyme said:

Woj says Bulls and LaVine will work out an extension, Suns may work a sign and trade with Ayton and Knicks are going to go 4/105 for Brunson and force Dallas to match. Kupcheck says Hornets are bringing Bridges back but I am skeptical. 

Reminder that Brunson is unrestricted 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

He's going to take that 21.25m a year and ask Dallas to match or guarantee more money. It's not at all uncommon to use dumbass teams to get big paydays. 

He might, although I don't think it's clear cut considering his connections to the NYK's staff 

27 minutes ago, BigOrange1 said:

i'll admit i haven't followed the league as closely as i used to ever since the rockets traded harden and stopped being a contender, but i just don't see how signing jalen brunson to a big deal is going to solve many of the knicks' problems.  

He turns them from a 10th seed into a 9th seed 

1 hour ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Reading the realGM Knicks board it seems that 90% like Brunson but not at 25M/yr and hope they strike out and build through the lottery or go a different route.

May not be quite at 25m, but more like 22 or 23m AAV.  It's still going to be more than he's probably worth.  He's a nice little player.  He really is, but he's not a guy who can carry you persay.   Reportedly, his father is pretty tight with the Knicks front office. 

7 hours ago, Fastbreak said:

So the overall dealing is:

Detroit gets
Kemba
Duren
Noel
Burks
2 second round picks
6 mil $

NYC gets
2025 Mil first heavy protection

Seems like even 2k22 wouldn’t let that go through.

Awful lot to give for the privilege of giving Jalen Brunson 25/yr.

8 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Brunsons agent is also Knicks president Leon Roses son.

I’m sure there’s been zero tampering considering FA doesn’t start for another 2 days and these 2 have been linked since the playoffs were still ongoing. Somehow they have contract terms, ready to go

That's crazy.   Seems like Cuban should be all over this.   Media too honestly.   

I don't understand Detroit taking on those 2 contract for 2 2nds. Seems like they would have been better off waiting for free agency and forcing the Knicks to pay more to offload them. They should know NYK can't do what they want if they don't have a dumping ground for those deals, and there are only a few teams that have space for both.

2 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

I don't understand Detroit taking on those 2 contract for 2 2nds. Seems like they would have been better off waiting for free agency and forcing the Knicks to pay more to offload them. They should know NYK can't do what they want if they don't have a dumping ground for those deals, and there are only a few teams that have space for both.

The prize was the pick they used to take Duren I believe.

14 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

I don't really get into the cap stuff but my understanding was that those deals will come off of the books in 23 and will leave Detroit with a ton of additional cap room going into next offseason. The Detroit Athletic beat writer guy said their plan is to try to move into contention in 23. 

8 hours ago, Fastbreak said:

So the overall dealing is:

Detroit gets
Kemba
Duren
Noel
Burks
2 second round picks
6 mil $

NYC gets
2025 Mil first heavy protection

Seems like even 2k22 wouldn’t let that go through.

13 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

Those players are trash but IIRC, all those contracts expire in 2024. Those are assets you can use then. Detroit is still in the tank for next season but the season after? You get lucky again in the lottery to add to Cunningham, Ivey and Duren, then you trade all those expirings for a disgruntled star or just clear cap and you're an instant contender.

https://theathletic.com/3389076/2022/06/28/pistons-knicks-trade-analysis

Let me try that again. 

The Pistons, who had roughly $40 million in cap space going into Tuesday, just two days before a blah free agency period was set to begin, were likely to use their space to take on unwanted contracts in order to acquire assets, as they continue to move forward with a young core. Detroit was able to land two draft picks, a rotational wing and a veteran, defensive-mind big in exchange for eating $19 million in cap space. The Pistons still have about $20 million at their disposal.

This trade signals that Detroit is kicking the can down the road one more offseason while emphasizing its even younger core in 2022-23. I reported in early 2021 that the Pistons were looking to turn a real corner in their “restoration” in 2023, when the free agency class is far more intriguing and rival teams might be looking to offload good players in order to add better ones. This specific move signals that the front office hasn’t deviated from that plan.

Burks and Noel have team options for next season. If Detroit elects to not pick up either, that will create $19 million in cap space for the summer of 2023. Additionally, the contracts of Cory Joseph and Hamidou Diallo come off the books (that’s a little over $10 million combined). Kelly Olynyk has a partial guarantee of just $3 million if Detroit waives him by June 28 of next year (that would be, roughly, $9 million coming off). Lastly, the dead money of DeAndre Jordan ($7.9 million) comes off next year, too. Add it all up, and the Pistons will easily clear $45 million in cap space for the summer of 2023.

In the short term, per sources, Detroit is expected to keep Burks and Noel on the roster. The former has shot over 40 percent from 3 the last three seasons on high volume. The Pistons were one of the worst shooting teams in the league a season ago and were unlikely to get a sharpshooter as good as Burks in the open market. Burks did just undergo foot surgery, but he should be ready to go by the start of training camp. Noel brings veteran leadership to a young Detroit frontcourt while being a reliable option in case of emergency. With these additions, the Pistons will have 13 players under contract once rookies Jaden Ivey and Jalen Duren sign, and assuming a deal with restricted free agent Marvin Bagley III gets done at the end of the week. Per sources, the Pistons have every intention of bringing Bagley back to the Motor City.

On the surface, this isn’t a sexy move. It is, however, an effective one. The Pistons round out their roster with reliable vets, add draft capital and plant a flag for the direction moving forward. If you were wondering when Detroit would start seriously turning a corner, you now have your answer.

Edited by Baboontyme

1 minute ago, Baboontyme said:

I don't really get into the cap stuff but my understanding was that those deals will come off of the books in 23 and will leave Detroit with a ton of additional cap room going into next offseason. The Detroit Athletic beat writer guy said their plan is to try to move into contention in 23. 

Yeah, both of those deals, 9m and 10m have Team Options for next year, which could be excellent trade chips in the future.  My point is, the Knicks HAVE to send those out to a team or two that can absorb them, and not send anything back. Typically,  taking on 19m for mediocre players would cost you a 1st round pick, but maybe the difference was the 6m cash.  Still seems like Detroit had them over a barrel and could have demanded more, or used that space elsewhere in trades or free agent signings.  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, d2o said:

The prize was the pick they used to take Duren I believe.

But that was handled in the Kemba trade, which was already settled as I understand it. This other trade doesn't rely on the first, unless it was agreed in principle during the draft (unreported), and they needed to work out who would be sent. Kemba is a good guy for Detroit to pick up for 9m a year. Not a bad deal there, just in total it seems like Detroit could have gotten more from the Knicks who have been deadset on signing Brunson outright.  

Fred VanVleet, Raptors Expected To Sign Four-Year, $110M Extension

Fred VanVleet and the Toronto Raptors are likely to sign a four-year contract extension this offseason worth approximately $110 million, sources tell Jake Fischer of Bleacher Report.

VanVleet re-signed with the Raptors on a four-year, $85 million deal.

VanVleet was an All-Star in 2022, averaging 20.3 points, 4.4 rebounds and 6.7 assists in his first season without Kyle Lowry. 

I definitely don't think the trade was settled on draft night. In a group chat with some Piston fan friends everyone agreed it didn't make sense. All Detroit had to do to acquire the 13th pick was take on Kemba's salary for the year? They had to give more. Edit: And of course the protected pick. 

My theory is actually that NYK traded into the pick because they knew Weaver was hot after Duren and they were trying to pry Ivey from Detroit. When it became clear that wasn't happening they had to make some shit up for future considerations. 

Edited by Baboontyme
  • Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

But that was handled in the Kemba trade, which was already settled as I understand it. This other trade doesn't rely on the first, unless it was agreed in principle during the draft (unreported), and they needed to work out who would be sent. Kemba is a good guy for Detroit to pick up for 9m a year. Not a bad deal there, just in total it seems like Detroit could have gotten more from the Knicks who have been deadset on signing Brunson outright.  

That deal wasnt completed.   At least that is the report that I saw yesterday before the announcement of the expansion of the deal.

This was posted about 9:30 yesterday morning.

Edited by d2o
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Baboontyme said:

I definitely don't think the trade was settled on draft night. In a group chat with some Piston fan friends everyone agreed it didn't make sense. All Detroit had to do to acquire the 13th pick was take on Kemba's salary for the year? They had to give more. Edit: And of course the protected pick. 

My theory is actually that NYK traded into the pick because they knew Weaver was hot after Duren and they were trying to pry Ivey from Detroit. When it became clear that wasn't happening they had to make some shit up for future considerations. 

Exactly this.   Kemba for a current lottery pick was not adequate compensation.   

18 hours ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

Kyrie thinks being different makes him smarter than everyone else.

I hate Westbrook's game but at least he shows up to work and goes 100% every game.

Yeah, you put Kyrie's ability in Westbrook's body, he has 1 or 2 championships. He loves playing basketball, he just isn't a highly skilled player.

Edited by HtownHorn

There isn't a superstar in the bunch, but most of these guys being in their early to mid 20s suggest that those 25, 26, and 27 picks won't be lottery...unless injuries or something strange happens.

Trae - 23 years old

Murray - 25

Collins - 24

Capela - 28

Hunter - 24

Bogdan - 29

Huerter - 23

Okungwu - 21

AJ Griffin - 18