2022 NBA Offseason Thread — Trades, Free Agency, Firings, Sacramento doing dumb things, etc

Patrick Bateman

17 minutes ago, Llogg said:

How the hell does Ainge keep doing this? He absolutely won that trade by a fair margin. Plus it's a huge middle finger to the disgruntled star to send him to Cleveland. 

he did win the trade for sure, but i kinda like it for CLE and can see why they did it. they've got a really good young core that's, prior to today, two pieces away from being real players in the East. i don't know how they add the alpha that they need, but at least they're going for it. i LOVE garland, and if keeps growing he'll be a perennial all star. the Cavs are trying to get better right now, and Danny Ainge, knowing this, rightly took advantage. 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

he did win the trade for sure, but i kinda like it for CLE and can see why they did it. they've got a really good young core that's, prior to today, two pieces away from being real players in the East. i don't know how they add the alpha that they need, but at least they're going for it. i LOVE garland, and if keeps growing he'll be a perennial all star. the Cavs are trying to get better right now, and Danny Ainge, knowing this, rightly took advantage. 

If I'm an NBA GM and Danny Ainge calls me up to purpose a trade I hang up before he's done talking. I'd love to watch him buy a used car. He'd leave the lot with the best car they have and ten thousand bucks cash that they paid him for the privilege. 

• Haha 1

They certainly gave up too much, but I don't mind this trade so much for Cleveland --- this is a great fit for them. They need a guy who can get buckets, and Donovan gets buckets. Plus, his defense gets covered up with Mobley and Allen behind him. It's all about the picks for Utah, obviously. Cleveland wasn't going to re-sign Sexton and Markannan is probably on a bit of an overpay, so they get to lose that salary. Who knows about Agbaji but he seems like a low ceiling guy to me. Also... it will be interesting to see if those swaps overlap with Minnesota.

This has to put Cleveland up there near the top of the east. I think they are a legit contender now. For sure they are still behind Milwaukee and Boston, but I kinda like them better than Miami and Philly. People forget that they were 14 games over .500 last season until Mobley and then Allen got hurt. That starting five -- Garland/Mitchell/Okoro/Mobley/Allen -- is pretty fierce, plus Levert, Love and Lopez off the bench. I like that squad A LOT.

• Hook 'Em 1

Garland signed a 5 year extension too, Allen has 4 more years at 20m per, and Mobley has a rookie deal for 3-4 years remaining.  

Mitchell has 3 years guaranteed left on his deal and a fourth year PO, so that aligns with the core really well.  

That's 4 great players at 4 different positions, and all they really need is a good 3+D SF to complete that lineup. I don't know if Okoro can do both, he's pretty average on defense. He did shoot well from 3 after the all-star break, hitting 49% in catch and shoot situations. If he can stop taking so many contested shots and let Mitchell do that instead, the team will flourish. I think a lot of that was due to injuries and him having to take more of the load though. 

Mitchell has to be ecstatic now that he's lobbing the ball to two bigs who actually know how to ball, and don't handle the ball like a newborn deer. He's gonna explode with all this talent around him.

The Cavs still have Kevin Loves 28m and Caris Leverts 18m expiring deals to use in trade before the deadline if another good player becomes available, or maybe a team like Chicago wants to blow it up and start over. They could get even better this year!

• Hook 'Em 1

Cavs new depth chart, assuming no one else is in the trade:

Darius Garland / Ricky Rubio / Raul Neto

Donovan Mitchell / Caris Levert

Isaac Okoro/ Cedi Osman / Dylan Windler

Evan Mobley / Kevin Love / Lamar Stevens

Jarrett Allen / Robin Lopez

Rubio will be out until about Jan/Feb due to his recovery from ACL surgery. 

3 hours ago, Dutchrudder said:

Garland signed a 5 year extension too, Allen has 4 more years at 20m per, and Mobley has a rookie deal for 3-4 years remaining.  

Mitchell has 3 years guaranteed left on his deal and a fourth year PO, so that aligns with the core really well.  

That's 4 great players at 4 different positions, and all they really need is a good 3+D SF to complete that lineup. I don't know if Okoro can do both, he's pretty average on defense. He did shoot well from 3 after the all-star break, hitting 49% in catch and shoot situations. If he can stop taking so many contested shots and let Mitchell do that instead, the team will flourish. I think a lot of that was due to injuries and him having to take more of the load though. 

Mitchell has to be ecstatic now that he's lobbing the ball to two bigs who actually know how to ball, and don't handle the ball like a newborn deer. He's gonna explode with all this talent around him.

The Cavs still have Kevin Loves 28m and Caris Leverts 18m expiring deals to use in trade before the deadline if another good player becomes available, or maybe a team like Chicago wants to blow it up and start over. They could get even better this year!

Obviously I don't like the number of FRPs given up (but these days that's the going price for a young 25 year old multiple All Star who once scored 57 points in a playoff game.  It's extremely unlikely any of those FRPs were going to yield a talent like Mitchell).

Mitchell is a bit undersized at the 2 but his wingspan makes him play and seem like he's 6'4" - he certainly doesn't play small.

Biggest issue going forward is obviously the black hole on the wing; too bad Lebron signed his extension - imagine him walking into this situation in FA next year.  But I could see the Cavs going all-in trying to sign Andrew Wiggins would be a very good fit with this team.

Overall though it's impossible not to be excited for the team.  Garland needed help on offense Mitchell delivers that and then some.  If Mobley (whose offensive development is the most important variable for the team's future) can turn into Bosh/KG on offense then the Cavs should be top 4 in the East for the next 5-10 years.

Man, the East is just stupid good:

• Boston, Milwaukee, Miami, Philly, Brooklyn, Toronto, Cleveland, Chicago, Atlanta - THREE of these teams will be relegated to the play-in and 1 won't even make the playoffs

For whatever it's worth, several of the respected talking heads love this trade for Cleveland:

Jonathan Tjarks did a lot of NBA stuff for the Ringer and...well...fuck.

Journal entry by Melissa Tjarks  13 hours ago

Saturday Jon woke up with reduced feeling in his legs, and Sunday he woke up and couldn’t feel them at all. Monday evening his speech started slurring and we were very concerned. We went to the hospital from PT/OT rehab to get him checked out. They did a CT and ordered a stat MRI. At 3 am Jon had the MRI of his brain and whole spine. It showed that a tumor that was teeny tiny two weeks ago is now compressing his spinal cord again at T8. Jon is permanently paralyzed from the belly down.  Another tumor is pressing on his hypoglossal nerve, which controls tongue movement, so half of his tongue is paralyzed. It’s really hard for him to swallow, and his speech is significantly slurred. Eating and talking take a ton of energy now. The tumors in his liver, skull, and elsewhere have grown significantly. One of our doctors said that he had only seen cancer grow this quickly once before. He’s been in practice for decades. What are the odds. 

The neurosurgeon said Jon is not a candidate for surgery again—two surgeries in two weeks for a healthy person would be difficult enough. DNA sequencing came back, and he has MEK, MET, and P53 mutations. There are not any known drugs to effectively target these mutations. They’re doing some extra tests on his tumor using the FISH technique to rule out any other possibilities, but it’s unlikely we have a targeted biologic drug. Chemo is out too because he’s gone through every known effective combination for sarcomas without going into remission. And he’s no longer a candidate for clinical trials because he’s deteriorated so much physically in the last month. 

So, our team told us it was time to go on hospice. Y’all… there are no words....
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

I love this trade for Cleveland. They were in no man’s land of being an 8 seed in the playoffs for the near future. Now they have a legit shot to win it all. This team is like some of those Pistons title teams. No GREAT players (yet) but just about everyone could be really good for their position. The pieces fit, they have good contracts and they are young.

Utah would have been better off trading him somewhere where the pics could be good.  Somewhere Mitchell would be “the man” and the team would still suck. Like Sacramento or NYC.  Or a team with aging stars like the Nets.  Cleveland has too much talent for those pics to amount to much.

Something like Ben Simmons and a ton of pics would have been better for Utah. Then revive Simmons and trade him too. Then wait for the Nets to implode at some point.

• Hook 'Em 1

It's fashionable to poke fun at the Knicks but they dodged an enormous bullet here - even with Mitchell, it's quite debatable that NYK is a playoff team and all those picks they would have had to give up would have been lotto.

At least with Cleveland, it's extremely likely those picks will be in the 20s (unless strange shit happens).

• Like 1

On 8/24/2022 at 8:41 PM, Llogg said:

Wolves likely to pick late teens to early 20s for 2023. Odds of getting a valuable contributor at those spots is not bad. Superstar? Not likely. Equal value to Gobert? Easy.

In the last 5 years alone you've got: Tyrese Maxey at #21, Matisse Thybulle at #20, Brandon Clarke at #21, Huerter at #19, DiVincenzo at #17, John Collins at #19, OG Anunoby at #23.

You can argue that Gobert is a better player than all those guys if you want, but none of them are getting benched in the playoffs b/c they are such matchup liabilities. The point isn't really that you could replace Gobert 1:1 with that draft pick. The point is that the value Gobert brings is not commensurate with his contract. It's made even worse value when you sacrifice the chance to get a cheap young contributor to help your budding superstar when he hits his prime. Gobert is a 31 year old big with next to no offensive game making $40-got-damn-million-American-fucking-dollars per year. Utah giving him that contract was kind of dumb but they were sort of over a barrel. MN taking on that contract and giving up a haul of picks for it is ludicrous. 

The only reason this desperation signing makes any sense is if you already know ANT is going to the Lakers first chance he gets.

Let's just ignore that Gobert was selected with the 27th pick

Let's just ignore that Gobert was selected with the 27th pick

Let’s redraft that stacked 2013 nba draft

1:Giannis

2: Rudy

3 : CJ Mccullom

4: Kentavious Caldwell Pope

5: Stephen Adams

6: Tim Hardaway JR

7: Otto Porter

8: Nerlens Noel

As you can see what the trajectory is of this unbelievable draft is going that’s filled with great players up and down the board including the #1 overall who has been out of the league for 5 years

43 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Let’s redraft that stacked 2013 nba draft

1:Giannis

2: Rudy

3 : CJ Mccullom

4: Kentavious Caldwell Pope

5: Stephen Adams

6: Tim Hardaway JR

7: Otto Porter

8: Nerlens Noel

As you can see what the trajectory is of this unbelievable draft is going that’s filled with great players up and down the board including the #1 overall who has been out of the league for 5 years

Such a shitty draft that still managed to produce a player in the late rounds that the twolves gave up too much for