2022 NBA Offseason Thread — Trades, Free Agency, Firings, Sacramento doing dumb things, etc

Patrick Bateman

11 hours ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

Don't think most are T-Wolves haters bro. Will probably be good in the 2022 regular season. Hopefully ANT reaches his potential at some point. Think Edwards is their main future.

This. I have nothing against Minnie. And I actually like Gobert, despite him being overrated defensively. They'll be good regular season team, and seeding should get them through round 1. I just think it's funny that their organization gave up a king's ransom for the, like, 27th best player in the league. Or that anybody thinks good players/teams will fear the "twin towers" of KAT/Gobert, as opposed up licking their lips.

I contend again that Steven Adams would have given them a lot of the toughness, rebounding, size, and screen setting for pennies on the dollar. Adams is one of the few players in the league who routinely punishes small ball lineups, pushes around faux centers like Green, and destroys the offensive glass.

1 minute ago, Dutchrudder said:

Didn't Steven Adams get benched when Minnesota played Golden State in the playoffs?

The Memphis series? No. He missed the first 2 games with Covid and played garbage time in Golden State's Game 3 blowout. The next 3 games he was a +13, +32, and -6 (in a 14 point loss) in about 25 minutes per game with 15, 13, and 10 rebounds.

He's not as good as Gobert, obviously, but they wouldn't have had to gut their future for the right to pay him $40M.

The Memphis series? No. He missed the first 2 games with Covid and played garbage time in Golden State's Game 3 blowout. The next 3 games he was a +13, +32, and -6 (in a 14 point loss) in about 25 minutes per game with 15, 13, and 10 rebounds.
He's not as good as Gobert, obviously, but they wouldn't have had to gut their future for the right to pay him $40M.

Just gonna go ahead and ignore the fact that Memphis and Minny are A)future rivals and B) he’s their best rebounder?

Memphis isn’t trading a good solid player to a short list of teams, and Minny is on the list.

So who else can we get that’s not as good as gobert but won’t trade our future? Turner? *fart* cappella? I’d listen but still pretty meh.

4 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Steven Adams (on an expiring contract, no less) was untouchable, so you had to leverage your future to pay Rudy Gobert $40M. That's what you're going with?

I thought the whole bit about Memphis refusing to do business with Minnesota on a role player because they’re on a short list of teams they’re scared of was the best part.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Just for shits…capella is 16th in win/shares right below Durant and ahead of Curry

Miles Turner Is 161st behind Julius randle and ahead of Nemanja Bjelecia.

Jfc ldogg. Your bball takes have been shit.

LMFAO. Capela is a marginal player who has benefited immensely from playing with exceptional guards throughout his career. Myles Turner is not great or anything but his offensive skill set shits all over Capela.

This post is some tell me you've never played basketball without telling me you never played basketball type shit.

Edited by Llogg

LMFAO. Capela is a marginal player who has benefited immensely from playing with exceptional guards throughout his career. Myles Turner is not great or anything but his offensive skill set shits all over Capela.
This post is some tell me you've never played basketball without telling me you never played basketball type shit.

LMFAO

yea I’ve played basketball.

Turner, while often injured, can’t shoot above 50% for a center and also averages 6 rebounds.

So while Turner wins the whole mid range thing…capella shits all over him on defense, rebounding, and getting wins.

Like gobert, I don’t need capellas shortcomings on offense to be a focal point. They got easy and high% shots by playing next to star guards and took advantage. What’s the problem?

What has turner exactly done?

18 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

I’ve been a Texas Longhorn fan for decades, which means I’ve been hyped about John Mackovic and Shea Morenz, Garrett Gilbert, Charlie Strong and Swoopes/Heard, Tom Herman, and on and on.  I’ve dreamed of national championship runs when David Ash and Case McCoy were competing for the starting QB spot.  

And even with that context, I’m saddened and unsettled at seeing someone this invested in Rudy freaking Gobert.

The degree to which @MNLonghornFUKM immediately latched on to Gobert as savior, all evidence and reason to the contrary, explains so many of his posts over the last several years.

• Hook 'Em 2

LMFAO

yea I’ve played basketball.

Turner, while often injured, can’t shoot above 50% for a center and also averages 6 rebounds.

So while Turner wins the whole mid range thing…capella shits all over him on defense, rebounding, and getting wins.

Like gobert, I don’t need capellas shortcomings on offense to be a focal point. They got easy and high% shots by playing next to star guards and took advantage. What’s the problem?

What has turner exactly done?

Again, if your point is you value the rim protection a center can offer (which AFAICT is the entirety of your premise with respect to Gobert leading the Wolves to the title), then Myles is your guy over Clint. The eyeball test tells you that, but the stats back it up. Career block % for Myles is 6.9, which would be Capela's second best single year after his rookie year when he recorded 7.8%. He hasn't come close to that number since. Meanwhile Myles has put together back to back season with block % >8. Clint's career DBPM? 0.1. Myles? 1.3. Literally an order of magnitude more impactful on the defensive end of the court.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/c/capelca01.html#all_advanced-playoffs_advanced

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/t/turnemy01.html#all_advanced-playoffs_advanced

Just for grins, Myles' block % is higher than Gobert's career 6.1 number. Also notable that Gobert has never had a single season >8, which Myles has done three times. 

DBPM career number for Gobert is a great 2.2, but if you just take 2021-22, the numbers there are actually pretty close: Turner with 1.4 and Gobert with 1.7. So I guess Gobert is worth double what Turner is in some universe, maybe?

Again, I think you've completely lost touch with the argument. I think Rudy sucks but that is not even really my main issue in this "discussion". Rudy is paid like a top 10 - 20 player and is locked into that for four years, plus the Wolves mortgaged the future for the privilege of paying it. That's my issue. They could have achieved the stated goals of improving interior defense and rebounding while complementing KAT and the homophobe for a much much lower price. That's the point. Maybe Rudy is a net positive on the court for the middle of the playoff pack team they have. That doesn't mean it was a good decision to give him 150 million of the team's dollars and give away years of the draft. Those late round picks could have been used to find the next Rudy FUCKING Gobert!

Again, if your point is you value the rim protection a center can offer (which AFAICT is the entirety of your premise with respect to Gobert leading the Wolves to the title), then Myles is your guy over Clint. The eyeball test tells you that, but the stats back it up. Career block % for Myles is 6.9, which would be Capela's second best single year after his rookie year when he recorded 7.8%. He hasn't come close to that number since. Meanwhile Myles has put together back to back season with block % >8. Clint's career DBPM? 0.1. Myles? 1.3. Literally an order of magnitude more impactful on the defensive end of the court.
https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/c/capelca01.html#all_advanced-playoffs_advanced
https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/t/turnemy01.html#all_advanced-playoffs_advanced
Just for grins, Myles' block % is higher than Gobert's career 6.1 number. Also notable that Gobert has never had a single season >8, which Myles has done three times. 
DBPM career number for Gobert is a great 2.2, but if you just take 2021-22, the numbers there are actually pretty close: Turner with 1.4 and Gobert with 1.7. So I guess Gobert is worth double what Turner is in some universe, maybe?
Again, I think you've completely lost touch with the argument. I think Rudy sucks but that is not even really my main issue in this "discussion". Rudy is paid like a top 10 - 20 player and is locked into that for four years, plus the Wolves mortgaged the future for the privilege of paying it. That's my issue. They could have achieved the stated goals of improving interior defense and rebounding while complementing KAT and the homophobe for a much much lower price. That's the point. Maybe Rudy is a net positive on the court for the middle of the playoff pack team they have. That doesn't mean it was a good decision to give him 150 million of the team's dollars and give away years of the draft. Those late round picks could have been used to find the next Rudy FUCKING Gobert!

Admittedly that surprised me about capellas defensive numbers. Also turners. Advanced stats wise career averages:

PER: capella 22.3 Turner 16.8

TS%: capella 621 Turner 574. Yes I know Turner is obviously the more skilled scorer and capella has no game outside of lobs- eh like Rudy!

Free throw rate : capella 35% Turner 29.5%

The rebounding percentage capella shits on Turner

Usage cappella 18 Turner 19

Win shares it isn’t even close : cappella

OBPM advantage capella

Dbpm advantage Turner

VORP about even- maybe advantage capella

So yea. Turners the more “skilled” player on the eye test, no doubt. Minnesota doesn’t need that. They need a rebounding defensive enforcer. Which I guess they didn’t think capella was that good on defense to make a move after. And turner isn’t good enough on the boards to make a offer? Plus turners missed like 80 games the last 2 years. Causes for concern?

Admittedly that surprised me about capellas defensive numbers. Also turners. Advanced stats wise career averages:

PER: capella 22.3 Turner 16.8

TS%: capella 621 Turner 574. Yes I know Turner is obviously the more skilled scorer and capella has no game outside of lobs- eh like Rudy!

Free throw rate : capella 35% Turner 29.5%

The rebounding percentage capella shits on Turner

Usage cappella 18 Turner 19

Win shares it isn’t even close : cappella

OBPM advantage capella

Dbpm advantage Turner

VORP about even- maybe advantage capella

So yea. Turners the more “skilled” player on the eye test, no doubt. Minnesota doesn’t need that. They need a rebounding defensive enforcer. Which I guess they didn’t think capella was that good on defense to make a move after. And turner isn’t good enough on the boards to make a offer? Plus turners missed like 80 games the last 2 years. Causes for concern?

Clint shoots 53% from the line, Turner is over 75%. So he gets to the line at a lower rate but he's far more effective there. The rate is because he's shooting more than 5 feet from the basket a lot more than capela. Win shares is a pretty worthless stat for comparing individuals. Turner is clearly a better player than capela.

Edited by SilasCoade

Dennis Schroeder back to the Lakers for around 2.7 million. This is both a good deal for the Lakers and humorous at the same time. Schroeder taking that deal after what he was offered by the Lakers when he first arrived, well, what a change in contract value this is. Also Westbrook needs to be shown the door before the season starts.

And here it is... Lebron and Chris Paul going after Sarver. If I were a Suns fan, I'd be pulling like hell for him to get cancelled and forced to sell the team. Worst owner in the league, on multiple levels.

I used to work for one of the minority owners. Met Sarver a couple of times. Can confirm he’s a class A dick. So was the guy I worked for btw. Which is maybe why they are friends.
  • Hook 'Em 1

15 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

Ok.  The teams benefitted from seeing the prospects in college instead of drafting a bunch of Kwame Browns before they realized those guys sucked, but whatever.  If it gets college basketball closer to a system like college baseball where you have to stay a while if you don’t go pro out of high school, then I’m all for it.

If they’re just talking about medical benefits or post retirement care or whatever, then sure.  But if this is something about players being able to stop playing because they have mental health stress without it affecting their contracts - without making light of real mental health issues or the people who suffer from them, fuck off with this one.  There are maybe a handful of NBA players with actual mental health problems that would prevent them from playing and 10x more like Ben Simmons, Kawhi Leonard and Kyrie Irving who are just spoiled brats that will use this to justify getting paid for not playing and filing grievances against teams.  If I were the owners, I’d counter that we should go to the NFL system where you don’t get paid if you don’t play and we can cut you if you’re not really injured.  NBA players have it damn good and maybe shouldn’t look a gift horse in the mouth with their current setup.

Yeah! Fuck Kawhi Leonard.

• Like 1

In the spirit of unintended consequences... we know that late first round draft picks have no value per @MNLonghornFUKM but do late round draft picks have any greater value in a single draft where there are double the available prospects due to an age restriction being lifted? So, say for example, you are a contending team that would normally draft around 22. Is there any value at getting a player that would typically be drafted around 10 at 22? And not only that, but getting that player on a cheap pick #22 contract? 

• Hook 'Em 2

20 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

Ok.  The teams benefitted from seeing the prospects in college instead of drafting a bunch of Kwame Browns before they realized those guys sucked, but whatever.  If it gets college basketball closer to a system like college baseball where you have to stay a while if you don’t go pro out of high school, then I’m all for it.

It gets college basketball to a system where you have a lot less one-and-dones. 

I don't care if it benefits the NBA - it's what college ball has needed for awhile now. The G League team helped but this will push it further in the right direction. 

18 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Well, the key is really combining allowing players to go pro straight out of high school with a rule like baseball that says if they go to college, they have to stay 2 or 3 years before they’re eligible for the draft again.   The early 2000s still had plenty of one-and-dones even when players were drafted out of high school. They just weren’t as good as Kevin Durant because guys like him never even went to college.  It was kind of the worst of both worlds.  

To have a rule like that in basketball you need a more robust farm system. We may (and by may I mean most likely) be headed towards that - an expanded draft and an expanded, potentially two-tier G League system. 

Until we get there the only thing left to do is get rid of the stupid one-and-done shit. In the early 2000s there were eight developmental teams. NBA franchises have a lot more flexibility now when it comes to stashing draft picks in the G League. Reducing the age minimum to 18 will significantly cut down on one-and-dones - just like the Ignite did. 

NBA players are the most soft and spoiled of all pro athletes. Why should they get paid millions to feign mental health any time they have a disagreement with their team or want traded or the going just gets too tough? I agree they should be able to get real help and time if they need legitimately need it, but they should read up on the FMLA that the rest of America deals with when we have any health issues that keep us from performing the work we are being paid to do. 

Ben Simmons 2021-2022 should be the only example needed to shut this shit down. 

Lulz at the Nets dealing with this new mental health rule with both Kyrie and Simmons on the roster. And speaking of kyrie....

NBA star Kyrie Irving is raising eyebrows after sharing an old clip of conspiracy theorist Alex Jones on his social media.

The Daily Beast reports that the clip that Irving shared is from 2002. The clip features Alex Jones claiming that the government was trying to become God “when it comes to your health. And then, by releasing diseases, and viruses, and plagues upon us, we, then, basically get shoved in their system."

There weren't any clips of Hitler he could find to reinforce his beliefs? Fucking hell Kyrie.

2 minutes ago, d2o said:

Poor Robert

1284x1196.jpeg.e20db4f5000f49148f0780157b119447

https://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/nba/suns/2022/09/21/robert-sarver-announces-intention-sell-phoenix-suns-mercury/8073090001/

Was just coming here to post that. What a tone deaf statement. Guy needs a better PR team. Pooooor Robert, he stands to make $600 million profit off the sale of the Suns. How will he ever go on? 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, royiv said:

https://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/nba/suns/2022/09/21/robert-sarver-announces-intention-sell-phoenix-suns-mercury/8073090001/

Was just coming here to post that. What a tone deaf statement. Guy needs a better PR team. Pooooor Robert, he stands to make $600 million profit off the sale of the Suns. How will he ever go on? 

They are saying its only going to 1B.   Hard to imagine it going for that little.   I know the Clips were in LA but they sold 2B+ almost 10 yrs ago.    Hell the Timberwolves sold for $1.5B last yr.   Cant imagine a franchise that has history and is pretty good right now going for 33% less than the TWolves.

Either way, that asshole is gonna make a killing and he is still whining like a bitch.   Saddest part is there large number of folks that will side with him and chalk this up to "wokeness" or PC going to far.

• Hook 'Em 1