2022 NBA Offseason Thread — Trades, Free Agency, Firings, Sacramento doing dumb things, etc

Patrick Bateman

I like this move for Minny. They need to do something to have any legitimate chance for a title. They aren’t an attractive destination for any kind of superstar, Gobert is a defensive system unto himself.  
Its probably not going to work but only one team a year can win a title so they are taking their shot. Good for them, I guess 

6 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

He's not a poor man's Jimmy Butler. He's not a homeless man's Jimmy Butler. He couldn't even be Jimmy Butler's butler. He's much closer to being a poor man's Tony Allen than anything having to do with Jimmy Butler.

He's an undersized wing, a plus defender who can't shoot, can't create and puts up pretty decent numbers on a team that is purposefully trying to lose. The next meaningful game he plays in will be his first. Even on shitty teams, somebody has to put up some numbers. They slightly overpaid for him. I'm not sure why because nobody else was beating down the door for him but it doesn't matter because they have so much cap space. Presti seems to fall in love with these guys who can't shoot. It's like Andre Roberson all over again.

In their 3rd season:

Player A:

17 ppg

4 rebounds

1.7 assists

40% FG/ 33% from 3

Player B:

13 ppg

4.9 rebounds

2.6 assists

39.7%/28% from 3

Dort isn't as good as Butler but in year 3 for each of them, they're closer than you think.

So because your organization is abysmal at drafting, we should trust them in trading?  I know it has to be soul wrecking exercise to come up every summer and defend the Twolves and their mismanagement of maybe the best basket of draft assets over the past decade.  Come up and explain why this guy or this pick or this trade is actually a good thing.  Knowing deep down, the Wolves will most likely fuck it up.  I feel for ya, MN.  It’s like being a Longhorn football fan the last decade….

Gobert is one of the most dominating forces the game has seen in decades. KAT was eaten alive by Memphis on the boards despite playing with the 2 seed. We needed a big. Desperately.

Kat can’t defend the rim and IMO, isn’t a true 5. He’s a hybrid. Kat might need to come to the perimeter more but whatever. Gobert makes penetrators think about attacking the rim. Lay ups and floaters became a shit ton more difficult.

I refuse to put any stock in last years utah season. In fact I’d wager Rudy was the only one who tried.
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, aggie08 said:

Gary Payton II signing with Portland for 3 years, $28M. Big loss for Golden State, but can't expect a dude like him to take a haircut to stay when he finally earned his shot at a real NBA contract.

Holy shit, do they love paying small guards a shit ton of money. I guess their guard rotation is set with Payton, Simmons, and Lillard.

1 hour ago, Aqua Buddha said:

In their 3rd season:

Player A:

17 ppg

4 rebounds

1.7 assists

40% FG/ 33% from 3

Player B:

13 ppg

4.9 rebounds

2.6 assists

39.7%/28% from 3

Dort isn't as good as Butler but in year 3 for each of them, they're closer than you think.

They're really not.  This is why top line numbers suck for comparisons and cherry picking a late bloomer always needs to be scrutinized.  If Dort breaks out on 50 win team next year for a PER over 21, TS% over .580, WS/48 over .200 (which is almost elite) and a total WS of somewhere over 11 (Dort's total in 3 years is 2.5) for the season, then maybe you can draw the comparison.  Until then, you just look like a homer.....

1 hour ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Gobert is one of the most dominating forces the game has seen in decades. KAT was eaten alive by Memphis on the boards despite playing with the 2 seed. We needed a big. Desperately.

Kat can’t defend the rim and IMO, isn’t a true 5. He’s a hybrid. Kat might need to come to the perimeter more but whatever. Gobert makes penetrators think about attacking the rim. Lay ups and floaters became a shit ton more difficult.

I refuse to put any stock in last years utah season. In fact I’d wager Rudy was the only one who tried.

Look, I like Rudy.  I think he's a good player and he generally plays hard during the season but the team giving up 4 1st rounders, 3 with no protections, is how you Timberwolves yourself into this shit.  If everyone is healthy, could it mean a few more wins?  Sure, lmaybe.  But both Rudy and KAT struggle in the playoffs.  KAT, maybe call it not enough experience but Gobert?  He gets schemed into mismatches.  I guess you could blame it on Snyder.  Or maybe Mitchell, since they hate each other.  But the package the Twolves gave up is more like one for a top 15 player..... I'm not sure I can go there with Rudy in crunch time.  Again, I do think he's a player of value.  He'll have to prove it in the playoffs....

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Look, I like Rudy.  I think he's a good player and he generally plays hard during the season but the team giving up 4 1st rounders, 3 with no protections, is how you Timberwolves yourself into this shit.  If everyone is healthy, could it mean a few more wins?  Sure, lmaybe.  But both Rudy and KAT struggle in the playoffs.  KAT, maybe call it not enough experience but Gobert?  He gets schemed into mismatches.  I guess you could blame it on Snyder.  Or maybe Mitchell, since they hate each other.  But the package the Twolves gave up is more like one for a top 15 player..... I'm not sure I can go there with Rudy in crunch time.  Again, I do think he's a player of value.  He'll have to prove it in the playoffs....

Rudy is a very good player but they paid Lennon-McCartney prices for Ringo.

7 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Username checks out. 

12 hours ago, Aqua Buddha said:

In their 3rd season:

Player A:

17 ppg

4 rebounds

1.7 assists

40% FG/ 33% from 3

Player B:

13 ppg

4.9 rebounds

2.6 assists

39.7%/28% from 3

@Patrick Bateman pulled the advanced numbers which probably better makes the point. I was too lazy to do it but Butler played on a playoff team and his numbers mean something. Also, teams actually have to guard him. Nobody guards Lu Dort because he can neither shoot nor dribble. He's an average player. Nothing more. Nothing less. He's not in the same universe as Jimmy Butler. I promise you that Dort's ceiling is nowhere near being the best player on a finals team. His ceiling is rotation player on a playoff team. He barely even plays the same sport as Jimmy Butler. 

8 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Zion for KD. Who says no? 

KD. And the league rules. But yeah, I’ve thought that one would be a great basketball situation for KD, fix NO problem of Zion being a bitch, and be the one chance Brooklyn might not lose the deal. 

10 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

KD. And the league rules. But yeah, I’ve thought that one would be a great basketball situation for KD, fix NO problem of Zion being a bitch, and be the one chance Brooklyn might not lose the deal. 

KD doesn’t get a say. 

1 minute ago, Wulaw Horn said:

You can say that, but the likelihood of NO agreeing to send Zion to Brooklyn for KD, if KD makes it known he has no desire to play there, is almost zero. 

KD, to his credit, doesn't have Harden's or Kyrie's or even LeBron's rep of mailing it in on the court when he doesn't get his way. Whenever he goes, he's going to play basketball at a high level, even if he doesn't particularly want to be there. NO is probably a stretch, but I can easily see Toronto or LAC taking a gamble that they can sell him on their culture over time.

2 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

KD, to his credit, doesn't have Harden's or Kyrie's or even LeBron's rep of mailing it in on the court when he doesn't get his way. Whenever he goes, he's going to play basketball at a high level, even if he doesn't particularly want to be there. NO is probably a stretch, but I can easily see Toronto or LAC taking a gamble that they can sell him on their culture over time.

I agree. He will be fine in Toronto or LA I would bet. Kermit’s take just fundamentally doesn’t jibe with how the NBA actually works to say KD doesn’t have a say in where he goes. He does. Flat out. 

I love that it's Minnesota testing the limits of the Stepien Rule--protecting teams from themselves by not allowing consecutive first round picks to be traded. Because of course it is.

"We'll just give away every other first round pick for the rest of the decade. That'll show 'em!"

2 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

If NO is confident that Zion has bought into conditioning, which social media posts suggest to be the  case, they should say no. They'll be a top 5 or 6 team in the West next year. If BI continues his momentum, CJ stays consistent, and Zion gives them 20/10 they could make some noise and be poised to be good for several years. Of course it's hard to bet on a massive man who relies on insane athleticism and has a history of knee and foot injuries. Which is also why BKN might balk.

2 minutes ago, Llogg said:

If NO is confident that Zion has bought into conditioning, which social media posts suggest to be the  case, they should say no. They'll be a top 5 or 6 team in the West next year. If BI continues his momentum, CJ stays consistent, and Zion gives them 20/10 they could make some noise and be poised to be good for several years. Of course it's hard to bet on a massive man who relies on insane athleticism and has a history of knee and foot injuries. Which is also why BKN might balk.

I doubt Zion completes 2022-23 season without at least two stints of 2wks+ out due to injury -- starting to feel like another Greg Oden situation. Won't be surprised if Zion's out of the NBA in 5-6yrs.  😬

Hopefully my gut feeling on this is wrong.

23 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

I love that it's Minnesota testing the limits of the Stepien Rule--protecting teams from themselves by not allowing consecutive first round picks to be traded. Because of course it is.

"We'll just give away every other first round pick for the rest of the decade. That'll show 'em!"

On the one hand, having a team with KAT, Gobert and Russel is just incredibly ripe for an epic let down. On the other hand, Anthony Edwards is awesome and may be a top 10 player in the league within 5 years, so who knows.

They do need to ship out Russel asap. Dude is not a winning player and does nothing but steal on ball time from Edwards. Incredible they gave up Wiggins and the Kuminga pick for him.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

KD for Ingram, Murphy, and some picks instead..... then everything rides on Zion's foot.

3 hours ago, Kermit said:

KD doesn’t get a say. 

Marks already says he does, so let's stop pretending that he doesn't.

3 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Reports that Charlotte rescinding Miles Bridges QO. Jesus, what a massive fuck up. 

And they traded down in the draft because they were worried about the money it would take to extend him...... Another disaster for Jordan.  This one not really of his making, but the franchise is never going to be good if it's so cheap.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Kyrie is apparently dead set on going to the Lakers.   And they may be the only team that actually wants him 

The issue is they don't have many assets..... What could they really give?

I mean the rumor I've seen is so bad..... Westbrook, TGT, and a 2027 first for Irving and Joe Harris.  If I'm Marks, I laugh, but teams seem to really fuck this up all the time.  What good is having Westbrook on your team next year?  TGT is a jag.  So a first in 5 years for Irving and Joe Harris?  Shit, you could probably get a 1st for Joe Harris on his own (all sort of protections).  I mean this is where I would dig in my heels as Marks if my owner could handle it.  You sat on us last year, Kyrie?  Your ass can fuck off.  Report or be fined and we'll see if your "list" grows a little.  I wouldn't let Kyrie force himself anywhere. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

The thing is, teams are going to have to give up some big assets to get KD and it is going to weaken them.  We have already seen that the Pelicans are a solid team WITHOUT Zion.  Add KD to the mix and you really have something.  More than anything KD wants to win and I'm not sure there is a much better situation than the Pelicans.  They are built to win right now.

This starting lineup would be solid AF:

• CJ McCollum
  • Brandon Ingram
  • Kevin Durant
  • Larry Nance
  • Jonas Valančiūnas

Valanciunas is an underrated big IMO. He brings toughness and interior defense, but can also shoot 3s at a 36%+ clip and 82% from the line.  Ingram is also making strides and still hasn't hit his peak.  With Durant on the team, he would not be drawing the other team's best defenders and should see his efficiency improve. McCollum can also get buckets.  Plus they have some intriguing young players in Dyson Daniels and Trey Murphy.

The Pelicans also have a some potentially valuable future draft picks.  They might not even have to give any up if they trade away Zion.  Right now, in addition to their own picks they have:

• 2023 - Lakers pick swap (likely to use)
  • 2024 - Lakers 1st (could defer by a year)
  • 2024 - Milwaukee pick swap (unlikely to use)

If I'm Durant, I look at that situation pretty carefully. He isn't going to find much better.  And if I'm the Nets, I won't find a more marketable young player than Zion. That is the ultimate boom or bust trade for them.

• Hook 'Em 1

Westbrook is an expiring I believe so not the worst contract anymore. Nets don't need any tank commanders though. They have none of their own draft picks. Forced to still sorta be in win now mode.

I can't get over the Twolves giving up 4 1st rounders + their 2022 1st round pick for Gobert. Should be a very good regular season team but thats about it unless ANT becomes incredible.

2 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

More than Lebron!!!!

I've heard absolutely nothing on the Collin Sexton RFA front.  Just sucks for him that he suffered the injury he did last Fall and now it's Garland's & Mobley's team, so if he "bets on himself" and signs the qualifying offer to become an UFA next summer, it's just not going to work out for him for a big payday.

1 hour ago, Message Board User said:

I've heard absolutely nothing on the Collin Sexton RFA front.  Just sucks for him that he suffered the injury he did last Fall and now it's Garland's & Mobley's team, so if he "bets on himself" and signs the qualifying offer to become an UFA next summer, it's just not going to work out for him for a big payday.

I saw a rumor about Dallas, somewhere in the low 20's, but could be total bullshit.

Otherwise, yea, really quiet on him.

1 hour ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

Westbrook is an expiring I believe so not the worst contract anymore. Nets don't need any tank commanders though. They have none of their own draft picks. Forced to still sorta be in win now mode.

So is Kyrie....

Edited by Patrick Bateman

17 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

I saw a rumor about Dallas, somewhere in the low 20's, but could be total bullshit.

Yeah - it's complete bullshit unless there's a sign & trade involved, as Dallas is waaaaaaay over the cap and Dallas has nothing outside of DFS (and Luka, obviously) that would interest Cleveland.

Dallas Mavericks Team Payroll | Basketball-Reference.com

8 hours ago, Kermit said:

He’s under contract for four years without a “no trade” exception. What’s he going to do, quit? Further flush his reputation down the drain? No. He’ll go and play where he’s traded. The rest is kabuki.

I don’t know why you’ve chosen to make your bit denying that the sun rises in the east and sets in the west on this one but you are wrong. People on here are telling you that. People in the media are universally telling you that. People in that front office are telling you that. They are going to work together with him to get something done. Doesn’t mean it will be his first choice but they aren’t going to ship him somewhere against his will.