2022 NBA Offseason Thread — Trades, Free Agency, Firings, Sacramento doing dumb things, etc

Patrick Bateman

KD is obviously a different guy, but there is no chance in hell that is true. He won’t miss a game absent injury even if it’s for Brooklyn. He just isn’t wired liked that. For all of his perceived shortcomings, it’s clear to anyone paying attention to him that he just fucking loves the game of basketball more than anything else. 

• Hook 'Em 3

32 minutes ago, PittsburghTiger said:

That just seems crazy for Los Angeles to do that.

It may not make them good but at least they’ll be relevant.

As for Lebron, he’s content with playing out the string in LA and he’s done winning titles.  If he was so inclined, he could have walked into a great situation in Cleveland next summer…

50 minutes ago, PittsburghTiger said:

That just seems crazy for Los Angeles to do that.

What choice do they have?  Would they have cap space to replace him if they let him walk?  Maybe a sign and trade?  They signed up for the Lebron experience, and they are getting the full Lebron experience.

• Hook 'Em 1

As for Lebron, he’s content with playing out the string in LA and he’s done winning titles.  If he was so inclined, he could have walked into a great situation in Cleveland next summer…

Really think Cleveland lets him screw up their youth movement by committing 30-40 million to a 38 year old who’s left twice for more desirable destinations? I’d laugh if Cleveland drafted the rights to Bronny
  • Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, Message Board User said:

That's why I think it is crazy. These are the Los Angeles Lakers, a championship-winning organization.

13 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

What choice do they have?  Would they have cap space to replace him if they let him walk?  Maybe a sign and trade?  They signed up for the Lebron experience, and they are getting the full Lebron experience.

And I do not think that is worth $90,000,000. That's why I think it's crazy.

I just laugh at the Lakers. They are stuck paying a clearly declining player almost half their salary cap to be paired with another guy that has never been healthy for an entire season. Mix in some aging veterans that are also awful and you get a team that struggles to make the playoffs.

3 hours ago, PittsburghTiger said:

Steve Brule GIF by MOODMAN

What is he saying?

I believe a lot of players in the league with darker complexions do not like Utah, particularly their fanbase.  I think he is just saying he would prefer their games not be televised.  Not real sure about the basketball poverty thing.  But I am from Dallas, so we should probably have a Houstonian who is more fluent in Mad Maxese chime in.

On 8/17/2022 at 8:04 PM, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Really think Cleveland lets him screw up their youth movement by committing 30-40 million to a 38 year old who’s left twice for more desirable destinations? I’d laugh if Cleveland drafted the rights to Bronny

I think the temptation to sign Lebron to 1 + 1 deal in 2023 (with Love' contract coming off the books) would have been too great to resist and with 2 all-stars & a mobley entering his 3rd year it's a team tailor made for Lebron as he wouldn't have had to do all the heavy lifting.  As the Cavs are currently constructed, I think they have a somewhat limited ceiling until they get a good, 2-way wing (Lauri ain't gonna cut it in the playoffs) and Lebron would have fit right in (even at his advanced age with Garland/Allen/Mobley to lean on).  Even with all of the drama that Lebron brings, a short-term deal next summer to go for broke in 23-24 and/or 24-25 - I would have done it.  Those kinds of good 2 way wings are exceedingly and I don't know where the Cavs are going to get one, so Lebron would have been the best option (Jaylen Brown ain't walking through that door).

But my guess is that Lebron and his family are perfectly happy in LA building his "brand" and playing out the string even if it means struggling to get to the play-in tourney.  

And meanwhile, it's August 19 and Collin Sexton is still a (restricted) free agent.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

299876653_5662833143813020_4622622592450

For the aughts?  Nah.  Lebron only played half of the decade.  Iverson is behind guys like Nash or Kidd.  I can see the other 3.  Dirk needs to be in there.  Garnett gets 6th man and only if you want to play positioned basketball.

For the entire century?  Really fucked stupid.

For the aughts?  Nah.  Lebron only played half of the decade.  Iverson is behind guys like Nash or Kidd.  I can see the other 3.  Dirk needs to be in there.  Garnett gets 6th man and only if you want to play positioned basketball.

LeBron was drafted in 2003. He played 70% of that decade. Took maybe the worst roster to the Finals. Pretty much a star since he hit the scene. AI is the only one of those I'd question. Not sure who you would replace LeBron with

7 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:
22 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

LeBron was drafted in 2003. He played 70% of that decade. Took maybe the worst roster to the Finals. Pretty much a star since he hit the scene. AI is the only one of those I'd question. Not sure who you would replace LeBron with

If it's start for the year ending in 00'.  Then it's 60%.  Do the math.  And he wasn't an all-star his first year.  Regardless, he wasn't top ten in any type of cumulative or per minute metric.  It's silly he's shown there.  He's not even in the top 10.  Not close for the decade.  It's not a criticism, its simply an arbitrary capture in time and he didn't play long enough nor was he in his prime until the end of the time limit.  For 10-19.... Sure, he's #1.

21 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

If it's start for the year ending in 00'.  Then it's 60%.  Do the math.  And he wasn't an all-star his first year.  Regardless, he wasn't top ten in any type of cumulative or per minute metric.  It's silly he's shown there.  He's not even in the top 10.  Not close for the decade.  It's not a criticism, its simply an arbitrary capture in time and he didn't play long enough nor was he in his prime until the end of the time limit.  For 10-19.... Sure, he's #1.

I think they're trying to do it by position though. Although AI wasn't really a PG. LeBron or TMac would be the only options for SF that make sense (PP too maybe). Dirk wasn't a SF - and if you're fudging the positions then him over KG is certainly a take. 

I'd probably go Nash, Kobe, LeBron, Duncan, Shaq. If it's just top 5 - position is irrelevant - then it's something like Kobe, KG, Duncan, Shaq, Dirk. 

The list is legit, sorry.

PG Iverson (closest Nash/Kidd)
2000s Stats: 28.1 PPG, 6.2 APG, 2.2 SPG, 42.4 FG%

SG Kobe (closest McGrady)
2000s Stats: 28.2 PPG, 5.9 RPG, 5.2 APG, 1.7 SPG, 45.7 FG%, 4 Rings

SF Lebron (closest Pierce)
2000s Stats: 27.5 PPG, 7.0 RPG, 6.7 APG, 1.8 SPG, 47.1 FG%

PF Duncan (closest KG/Dirk)
2000's Stats: 21.4 PPG, 11.7 RPG, 3.3 APG, 2.3 BPG, 50.4 FG%, 3 Rings

C Shaq (closest Howard)
2000s Stats: 23.1 PPG, 10.6 RPG, 2.2 BPG, 58.5 FG%, 4 Rings

Kobe, Iverson, Duncan and Garnet were the only players to make the all-star team all 10 years.

19 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

If it's start for the year ending in 00'.  Then it's 60%.  Do the math.  And he wasn't an all-star his first year.  Regardless, he wasn't top ten in any type of cumulative or per minute metric.  It's silly he's shown there.  He's not even in the top 10.  Not close for the decade.  It's not a criticism, its simply an arbitrary capture in time and he didn't play long enough nor was he in his prime until the end of the time limit. 

You're dead to me.

The New York Knicks would still like to acquire Donovan Mitchell from the Utah Jazz. Thus, far New York has failed to meet Utah's significant asking price for the All-Star guard.

The Knicks offered Evan Fournier, Obi Toppin and two unprotected first round picks (as part of a five-pick package) to the Jazz for Mitchell. That offer was declined, as it's well below what Danny Ainge has been pushing for in a Mitchell deal.

The Jazz are known to be looking for a package of young players, as well as multiple first round picks in exchange for Mitchell. The Knicks would very likely have to include Fournier or Derrick Rose in a trade for Mitchell, as they would be required for salary-matching purposes. The holdup from there becomes how many picks New York will include in a deal and which young players out of the group of Toppin, RJ Barrett, Quentin Grimes and Immanuel Quickley.

SHAMS CHARANIA/THE ATHLETIC

Wow...

1) Demand trade

2) Realize that none of the teams that you want to go to have enough to offer (or don't want to break the bank)

3) Demand firings that you know Brooklyn won't do to show how serious you are in the hope that they'll accept a lesser deal

4) Still nothing

5) Say fuck it and run it back on the most awkward, shitty chemistry team in the league

6) ???

7) Profit

• Like 3

What in the fuck is PB talking about? 

I’m assuming he thinks players remain unsigned while they wait for the KD domino to fall which it clearly won’t

Another reason why the gobert trade was genius. Keeps KD in the east with an overinflated market.

Sorry not sorry, Phoenix, you’re no longer able to afford KD.
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Yes yes…tell me more how much you value draft picks 7 years from now

I love it that you think a franchise that has won a grand total of two playoff series in its 34 year history (both of which were 19 years ago, btw) is somehow playing chess while the rest of the league is playing checkers. 

I love it that you think a franchise that has won a grand total of two playoff series in its 34 year history (both of which were 19 years ago, btw) is somehow playing chess while the rest of the league is playing checkers. 

Enjoy the rebuild. Good to know a fan of a team that won the lottery of a generational all time great has all of the answers on how easy it is to build a winning team. Especially for small market destination cities like Minneapolis and San Antonio.

Are you seriously suggesting that San Antonio has not been better managed over its history than the fucking Timberwolves? The T-wolves have drafted some great players and just fucked away their best years. They've got a potential superstar on the roster right now who will be entering his prime right about the time the bill comes due for this stupid fucking Gobert trade. The Gobert move is one you make when you imagine this is the year to go all in. If that's what the MN management is thinking they deserve what they get. They would have been much better served keeping those 2023 and 2025 unprotected picks with an eye on getting support for Ant when he's truly in his prime. The 2023 pick really hurts b/c the pick there could still really fit the timeline for capitalizing on Ant.

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Enjoy the rebuild. Good to know a fan of a team that won the lottery of a generational all time great has all of the answers on how easy it is to build a winning team. Especially for small market destination cities like Minneapolis and San Antonio.

Good God. San Antonio has ten times as many division titles as Minny does in it's franchise history. That's after you exclude every season in which Duncan was on the team. 

Also - I'm pretty sure y'all drafted Kevin Garnett and he played for you for 12 seasons. Which was parlayed into *checks notes* one division title and one trip out of the first round. 

So, yes, historically SA has quite a few more "answers" than the Timberwolves. 

12 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Just for shits, looking back the last 9-10 drafts for San Antonio first round picks that are on the current roster, exactly 1(Johnson) is on the team that made it past his rookie contract.

Okay.... I'm trying to understand what the relevance is of having first round picks on the current roster who are on their second contract? Is that supposed to be some sort of dig or indictment of their drafting/development? Honestly, what is your point?

They've been drafting at the end of the first round for 20+ fucking years minus the last 3 (including this year). And their success of picking guys in the 26-30 spots is pretty fucking amazing. How many of those guys do you think get second contracts, anywhere? In the last 15 years, they hit on Dejounte Murray (29), Derrick White (29), Keldon Johnson (29), Kyle Anderson (30), Cory Joseph (29), George Hill (26) and Tiago Splitter (28). Not to mention trading up to get Kawhi Leonard. What in the blue fuck are you even talking about?