2022 NBA Offseason Thread — Trades, Free Agency, Firings, Sacramento doing dumb things, etc

Patrick Bateman

1 hour ago, Message Board User said:

There isn't a superstar in the bunch, but most of these guys being in their early to mid 20s suggest that those 25, 26, and 27 picks won't be lottery...unless injuries or something strange happens.

Trae - 23 years old

Murray - 25

Collins - 24

Capela - 28

Hunter - 24

Bogdan - 29

Huerter - 23

Okungwu - 21

AJ Griffin - 18

Reportedly looking to trade Collins, Capela and maybe Bogdan.  Not sure what the Hawks will ultimately look like.

with the ways rosters turnover in this league, any completely unprotected pick 3-5 years out is a valuable thing to have.

Celtics could’ve dangled that Brooklyn pick for Anthony Davis too. Then I think Brooklyn had a better season that most anticipated but still.

It’ll be a rough few years for the spurs but I think Kermit said they should’ve bottomed out when his favorite player went to Toronto instead of signing derozan, Aldridge etc.

Sold pretty good value for Murray. It’s just the process will likely be rough if you don’t hit on your draft picks or land a transitional talent with your pick or Atlanta’s

12 minutes ago, Murfdogg21 said:

Nano-violin playing for Spurs fans after the last 20+ years. 

I can't even muster that. They'll probably win the lottery this season and end up drafting some ready-made superstar named Jim Dungan from Puerto Rico.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

I can't even muster that. They'll probably win the lottery this season and end up drafting some ready-made superstar named Jim Dungan from Puerto Rico.

He's French, thank you very much.  The Spurs are the pure cautionary example of not knowing oneself and not having a plan.  You're either building or your sinking.  I think the shock of Kawhi hit them so hard they couldn't figure anything out and it took them 3 years to get their shit together, which is a rebuild.  It's a shame because they burned 3 years of capital with the fans, but they just couldn't admit the run was over...... They need a superstar draft pick and it's easier from the top 5.  Not guaranteed but easier.  Maybe they'll finally tank correctly.

Just now, Murfdogg21 said:

So earlier this week it was leaked KD might request trade if Kyrie leaves due to how the Nets handled it, then after Kyrie takes the option to stay KD requests a trade anyway? WTF?

Kyrie was never staying. He would rather be traded with his big contract than be a FA  and getting less.  

8 minutes ago, Baboontyme said:

Draymond needs to hurry up and drop a new pod and say something stupid, get his name back to the top of the news cycle. 

He really doesn't. Did you see he called Kendrick Perkins a "coon" recently? Pretty awful racial slur to use on a guy who is just a commentator. Really uncalled for, I wish he would have received more backlash from it. Dude is a trashcan of a human. 

8 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

He really doesn't. Did you see he called Kendrick Perkins a "coon" recently? Pretty awful racial slur to use on a guy who is just a commentator. Really uncalled for, I wish he would have received more backlash from it. Dude is a trashcan of a human. 

Yes it was a joke and I agree he needs to STFU. However he did drop ANOTHER pod to apologize for that. I believe he said he didn't know it was a racial slur. 

43 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

Kyrie was never staying. He would rather be traded with his big contract than be a FA  and getting less.  

Yep, there is no doubt KD and Kyrie planned this together. Though a S&T for Ayton would be a good rebound for the Nets.

Just now, aggie08 said:

KD has 4 years left on his deal and doesn't have a no trade clause. Brooklyn should be (and other are) wiping their asses with his preferred destination list.

Yep.    Trade him to the highest bidder.   

Just now, BigOrange1 said:

no one who thinks he doesn't want to be there is going to give up the farm for him.

He cant leave for 4 yrs and he is 33.   He cant afford to sit out the yr it would take for whatever team that gets him to move him again

4 minutes ago, BigOrange1 said:

Wait, is this serious? If there is one thing a budding young superstar like Luka Doncic needs, it's the steadying influence of a truly professional veteran like Kyrie Irving.

I'm no Mavs fan, but I wouldn't let Kyrie within one hundred miles of Luka. Kyrie has burned every place he's been to the ground on his way out. 

• Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Wait, is this serious? If there is one thing a budding young superstar like Luka Doncic needs, it's the steadying influence of a truly professional veteran like Kyrie Irving.

I'm no Mavs fan, but I wouldn't let Kyrie within one hundred miles of Luka. Kyrie has burned every place he's been to the ground on his way out. 

He's on a 1 year 36m expiring deal, it's not huge risk depending on what it would cost the Mavs. Kyrie's value has to be pretty low overall, he might not cost a lot.  Dinwiddie+Bullock+2 future 1sts maybe?  I can't imagine there would be many suitors besides the Lakers, and they don't have shit to trade.

Maybe the Mavs could work a S&T with the Knicks, so they can get the trade exception and use that to help balance a trade to send less salary back. They have some options, but they also have a lot of mediocre players on long contracts, which makes trades harder.

24 minutes ago, BigOrange1 said:

no one who thinks he doesn't want to be there is going to give up the farm for him.

In theory, sure. But it's 4 years. What's he going to do? Sit out until he's traded again and take that rep hit? He willing to do that? You don't think a team like Boston or Toronto or Chicago feels like they could sell him on their culture in time?

Conversely, good fucking luck convincing Brooklyn to trade the, at worst, 5th best player on the planet on a long-term deal to Phoenix or Miami in deals that don't involve Booker, Butler, or Bam.

50 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

no shit.  fuck all that.gif

6 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

How about Paul George plus a pick for KD?

Kawhi gave KD a call (who knew that he could talk?), and tried to recruit him to LAC 3 years ago. KD said that he was legitimately flattered. I'm sure that the Clippers are making calls today. Would probably take more than PG and a so-so pick though.

48 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

In theory, sure. But it's 4 years. What's he going to do? Sit out until he's traded again and take that rep hit? He willing to do that? You don't think a team like Boston or Toronto or Chicago feels like they could sell him on their culture in time?

Conversely, good fucking luck convincing Brooklyn to trade the, at worst, 5th best player on the planet on a long-term deal to Phoenix or Miami in deals that don't involve Booker, Butler, or Bam.

Right? Yo KD, why don't you take the next four years off and come back when you're 37. Great fucking plan.

Also, let's not forget that the Nets took a pretty huge gamble on him, signing him to $160+ million for 4 years (one of which they knew he couldn't play) coming off an Achilles injury. And then he comes in and brings that batshit crazy Kyrie as his running mate, and then has them sell the farm for James Harden. And now, he wants a out? And he would prefer Phoenix; it's a dry heat. If I'm the Nets, I'm pretty sure my response would be, "How about go fuck yourself?"

• Hook 'Em 3

10 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Kawhi gave KD a call (who knew that he could talk?), and tried to recruit him to LAC 3 years ago. KD said that he was legitimately flattered. I'm sure that the Clippers are making calls today. Would probably take more than PG and a so-so pick though.

George/Kennard/Covignton?  

3 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Right? Yo KD, why don't you take the next four years off and come back when you're 37. Great fucking plan.

Also, let's not forget that the Nets took a pretty huge gamble on him, signing him to $160+ million for 4 years (one of which they knew he couldn't play) coming off an Achilles injury. And then he comes in and brings that batshit crazy Kyrie as his running mate, and then has them sell the farm for James Harden. And now, he wants a out? And he would prefer Phoenix; it's a dry heat. If I'm the Nets, I'm pretty sure my response would be, "How about go fuck yourself?"

Yep, KD's rep has taken a huge hit since he left OKC but man since he left GSW its been an unmitigated disaster.   

Also, he didnt get a player option for the last yr either.   Its a full 4 yrs left on that deal.

Just now, OB3 said:

How dumb is espn? They go away from nba free agency special show, right when free agency starts

They are coming back in an hr.   More importantly, Sportscenter will be almost exclusively NBA free agency (or just KD talk) for that hr