2022 NBA Offseason Thread — Trades, Free Agency, Firings, Sacramento doing dumb things, etc

Patrick Bateman

2 minutes ago, d2o said:

They are coming back in an hr.   More importantly, Sportscenter will be almost exclusively NBA free agency (or just KD talk) for that hr

Yeah I know they’re coming back. I just feel like they do a way better job than just the normal sportscenter hosts

Name this player:

Player is a veteran guard. 2021-22 was his 7th year in the NBA. Here are his 21-22 rankings in some pertinent advanced statistics:

9th in USG

24th in PER

20th in Win Shares

39th in Offensive Win Shares 

64th in Effective FG%

his career shooting percentages:

.457 FG%, .357 3P FG%

name that player 

16 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

Name this player:

Player is a veteran guard. 2021-22 was his 7th year in the NBA. Here are his 21-22 rankings in some pertinent advanced statistics:

9th in USG

24th in PER

20th in Win Shares

39th in Offensive Win Shares 

64th in Effective FG%

his career shooting percentages:

.457 FG%, .357 3P FG%

name that player 

NBA 2k Gerald Green

27 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

That is such a terrible deal. I expect it to be almost as much of an albatross as the super max they gave Wall. 

4 minutes ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

Why did the Wizards have to sign Beal for so much?

Like I said, BB is a good dude and a positive team rep in that shithole.

4 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

KD will get traded to Phoenix or Miami, not win a title for some reason and we'll be told it's everyone's fault but his.  

this is a really stupid post. i can't even remember the last time i gave somebody the middle finger rep, but this post is so stupid it deserves it. and you just compared Lou Dort to Jimmy Butler, so my threshold is pretty high.

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Right? Yo KD, why don't you take the next four years off and come back when you're 37. Great fucking plan.

Also, let's not forget that the Nets took a pretty huge gamble on him, signing him to $160+ million for 4 years (one of which they knew he couldn't play) coming off an Achilles injury. And then he comes in and brings that batshit crazy Kyrie as his running mate, and then has them sell the farm for James Harden. And now, he wants a out? And he would prefer Phoenix; it's a dry heat. If I'm the Nets, I'm pretty sure my response would be, "How about go fuck yourself?"

Pretty sure when he signed his extension, there was a gentlemen's agreement that if it ever didn't work out or he wanted to move on, the Nets front office would take care of him.  I think you can blame him for wanting Kyrie as his Robin, but so did the Nets.  I also think Kyrie opted in only because he couldn't see getting what he wanted on the open market this summer but he still wants to go somewhere else.  Time to blow it up.  They were a big toe away from probably the Finals and probably a title.  Sucks for them, but they took their shot..... just don't arm yourself with crazy Kyrie.  Your way is how you piss off agents and other players.  It would feel good, but it's not going to make your organization better.

Edited by Patrick Bateman
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Right? Yo KD, why don't you take the next four years off and come back when you're 37. Great fucking plan.

Also, let's not forget that the Nets took a pretty huge gamble on him, signing him to $160+ million for 4 years (one of which they knew he couldn't play) coming off an Achilles injury. And then he comes in and brings that batshit crazy Kyrie as his running mate, and then has them sell the farm for James Harden. And now, he wants a out? And he would prefer Phoenix; it's a dry heat. If I'm the Nets, I'm pretty sure my response would be, "How about go fuck yourself?"

This is probably where I sit on this. He created this situation. He teamed up with someone who thinks the earth is flat and had the franchise bend to his whims. If I am the Nets I just give him the money and say to heck with all of this and that he either plays for them or no one.

I can also only imagine what the Warriors players must be thinking right now about this. Feel pretty certain they are getting some good laughs out of this.

1 hour ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

In turn you see the Nuggets trying to get under the luxury tax with a 2 x MVP and the Mavs owner etc not willing to go deep into the tax.

It wasn’t the Nuggets owner’s fault that they gave Michael Porter Jr. a 5 year max extension and he only played 2 more months. They’ve got that on the books with the super max they just gave Jokic. 

10 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

this is a really stupid post. i can't even remember the last time i gave somebody the middle finger rep, but this post is so stupid it deserves it. and you just compared Lou Dort to Jimmy Butler, so my threshold is pretty high.

Look at Dort’s stats and development over three years.  Also a very good defender.  Similar to Butler.

I also said “poor man’s.”

Has a single super team without at least one home-grown star ever actually worked out?

It's hard to find fault in any of what Brooklyn did here, and they're about to be a dumpster fire.

- Build a fun, young team organically and instill a good culture to attract free agents.

- Get Kyrie to commit to signing midway through his last Boston season, with the hope that he'll be able to recruit KD to join him.

- Show commitment by offering KD the max a month after he tore his Achilles.

- Sign DeAndre Jordan instead of keeping Jarrett Allen. The cost of doing business with superstars is employing their friends.

- Hire Nash because he's KD's guy and should keep him happy. See above.

- Bring in Harden at KD and Kyrie's behest. It's not Brooklyn's fault that Harden played and ate his way into a trade package centered around Ben Simmons being the best offer.

- Sign KD to the max extension.

- The only time that Brooklyn put their foot down on anything was refusing to max out a Do You Own Research bro who cost them an entire season. And that's enough for the stars to completely blow it up.

There's a lesson to be learned here, but I don't know what it is.

12 hours ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

As time moves on I have more respect for Golden States ownership. They give no fucks about money when it comes to winning.

In turn you see the Nuggets trying to get under the luxury tax with a 2 x MVP and the Mavs owner etc not willing to go deep into the tax.

to be fair, it's a lot easier to stomach paying for a proven winner than it is a WCF runner up and whatever it is that denver has.

23 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Has a single super team without at least one home-grown star ever actually worked out?

It's hard to find fault in any of what Brooklyn did here, and they're about to be a dumpster fire.

- Build a fun, young team organically and instill a good culture to attract free agents.

- Get Kyrie to commit to signing midway through his last Boston season, with the hope that he'll be able to recruit KD to join him.

- Show commitment by offering KD the max a month after he tore his Achilles.

- Sign DeAndre Jordan instead of keeping Jarrett Allen. The cost of doing business with superstars is employing their friends.

- Hire Nash because he's KD's guy and should keep him happy. See above.

- Bring in Harden at KD and Kyrie's behest. It's not Brooklyn's fault that Harden played and ate his way into a trade package centered around Ben Simmons being the best offer.

- Sign KD to the max extension.

- The only time that Brooklyn put their foot down on anything was refusing to max out a Do You Own Research bro who cost them an entire season. And that's enough for the stars to completely blow it up.

Technically, the Lakers won the bubble ring with Lebron and AD, and virtually no home grown talent. For whatever that is worth. It's not looking so good over there more recently but they did win the most difficult championship ever. 

And I'm not that sure on the timing. I thought it was KD got on board first and then brought in Kyrie. I don't know that the Nets had much say in any of that, though. Or if it really matters. If KD wants Kyrie, then you take him and hold your nose. But the thing that really fucked them up, and will likely to continue to fuck them up for years, was the Harden deal. Did they really have to do that deal? If they had just stuck to their guns with Jarett Allen and all the rest of the guys they had drafted and developed, they would have a deep team that could at least tread water with an injured star and cut down on their minutes.  Plus they would still have their picks for the next 5 years. 

Now... they are proper fucked. They can't tank because they don't have picks. They have to try to compete. They are going to have to sell Durant for pennies on the dollar if he pushes hard enough. What do you do? 

31 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

You answered your own question. Unless you are a team in LA or Miami, you need to start your superteam yourself and have them recruit other stars (Pierce in Boston, Lebron with Cavs, Steph and Klay in GS). From a basketball and winning perspective, why wouldn’t a star like KD want to jump on a squad like Memphis, Boston, etc. where the team would still have a good, young group around him after giving up assets in the trade, rather than jumping to the previous year’s top team(s) that might have to gut the team to get him?

In conclusion, if you are small or mid-market team you are screwed unless you draft multiple stars yourself and enjoy a short run. 

1 minute ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Technically, the Lakers won the bubble ring with Lebron and AD, and virtually no home grown talent. For whatever that is worth. It's not looking so good over there more recently but they did win the most difficult championship ever. 

And I'm not that sure on the timing. I thought it was KD got on board first and then brought in Kyrie. I don't know that the Nets had much say in any of that, though. Or if it really matters. If KD wants Kyrie, then you take him and hold your nose. But the thing that really fucked them up, and will likely to continue to fuck them up for years, was the Harden deal. Did they really have to do that deal? If they had just stuck to their guns with Jarett Allen and all the rest of the guys they had drafted and developed, they would have a deep team that could at least tread water with an injured star and cut down on their minutes.  Plus they would still have their picks for the next 5 years. 

Now... they are proper fucked. They can't tank because they don't have picks. They have to try to compete. They are going to have to sell Durant for pennies on the dollar if he pushes hard enough. What do you do? 

Kyrie was going to Brooklyn with or without KD, and they were going to sign him with or without KD. That deal was done under the table, and Kyrie was fully checked out in Boston by the All-Star game. Granted, I'm sure that KD and Kyrie decided pretty early on to try to play together, but Brooklyn was always Kyries's preferred destination.

Laugh. Harden had terrible press after that off season about pit stops to Vegas, houston having to accommodate every little move to please James, and they still gut their depth for him. Obviously the big wigs in the nets organization wanted to hear all about “who do you guard with KI,KD and JH?!” From talking heads

What an epic failure…and this is after they took Milwaukee to the brink just last year.

And now whatever young talent you want to try and get for KD you can’t because of Loser Ben Simmons. Lmfao.

1 hour ago, aggie08 said:

Gary Payton II signing with Portland for 3 years, $28M. Big loss for Golden State, but can't expect a dude like him to take a haircut to stay when he finally earned his shot at a real NBA contract.

I view this as addition by subtraction for GSW.  Yes, he was an important part of their championship this year, but he will be 30 next year and will start to slide soon.  Meanwhile they have Kuminga and Moody who need minutes. I would wager good money that BOTH of those guys will be better than GPII as soon as next year.  By the end of that 3 year deal, they will be MUCH better than GPII.  I think this is a reach for Portland honestly.

The most impressive thing GSW has done is have the confidence and patience to hold on to their young talent and not trade them for "stars", trying to extend the title window for their core.  Generally (outside of KD), they take on distressed assets, rehabilitate them, and trade them for assets or let them walk before they get too expensive.  It always amazes me when teams trade their cheap young talent for aging, past their prime players like Deandre Jordan. It almost never works out.

1 hour ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Laugh. Harden had terrible press after that off season about pit stops to Vegas, houston having to accommodate every little move to please James, and they still gut their depth for him. Obviously the big wigs in the nets organization wanted to hear all about “who do you guard with KI,KD and JH?!” From talking heads

What an epic failure…and this is after they took Milwaukee to the brink just last year.

And now whatever young talent you want to try and get for KD you can’t because of Loser Ben Simmons. Lmfao.

Yeah, the fatal blow was dumping all their depth for Harden.  I've been saying that since the deal was even rumored.  He was completely unnecessary.   They would have been able to survive Kyrie being dumb and not playing and all the injuries they faced if they kept Dinwiddie, Levert and Allen.    They didnt want to have pay those guys but if you are going for it you have to go for it!

57 minutes ago, d2o said:

Yeah, the fatal blow was dumping all their depth for Harden.  I've been saying that since the deal was even rumored.  He was completely unnecessary.   They would have been able to survive Kyrie being dumb and not playing and all the injuries they faced if they kept Dinwiddie, Levert and Allen.    They didnt want to have pay those guys but if you are going for it you have to go for it!

Man, in retrospect, look how bad that deal for Harden was...

• Nets received: James Harden
  • Rockets received: Victor Oladipo, Rodions Kurucs, Dante Exum, Bucks' first-round pick in 2022, Nets' first-round picks in 2022, 2024, 2026 (all unprotected) and Nets' first-round pick swaps in 2021, 2023, 2025, 2027 (all unprotected).
  • Pacers received: Caris LeVert, Rockets' 2023 second-round pick
  • Cavaliers received: Jarrett Allen, Taurean Prince

Houston is gonna get some decent picks out of this sooner or later. Durant sure isn't going to be there beyond about 2024 with the way this is going. What a crazy stupid trade for the Nets, they should have at least gotten 1-3 protection on some of those picks.