MUNDIAL XXII

MoJames

On 11/14/2022 at 1:34 PM, HornOnTheBayou said:

Which will be higher: goals in the US/England match or UT 2nd half points? Pretty depressing that I would have to think about that one for a second.

This past Saturday’s game has kind of taken the sports fanaticism out of me. (Though my fantasy football loss by 1.02 points & the Cowboys’ loss contributed as well.)

I’m just not feeling the excitement like I was a couple of weeks ago. Pepi 
being left off the team may have been what got that ball rolling. 

On 11/14/2022 at 2:13 PM, Captain Ron said:

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/11/14/sports/soccer/world-cup-beer-fifa.html

Qatar is forcing Bud to dark corners of the stadiums at the last minute. I am shocked to see this happening (totallynotshocked).

Most probably don’t care, but NO alcohol of any kind is sold at soccer games in Argentina, so this isn’t some criminal in my eyes. People die each year due to soccer violence without alcohol being served on sight and it would likely be 5 to 10-fold if the law was different. Not positive, but I think that Brazil follows the same rules for the same reason. Someone who knows, please confirm.

8 hours ago, Cheeseweasel said:

That's what you get for ordering the vegetarian dish, Bittah.

This wasn’t the vegetarian dish

3961D540-AF9F-408C-B8E5-CFC637753D29.thumb.jpeg.fc847dd173a34606a39d8fa7fa9d5fad.jpeg

This was the HAM & CHEESE SANDWICH.

Plus, this person has no room to talk  just look at those flags!

BDD9E3E7-D7F3-4BF4-91A1-7015CE3A57F6.thumb.jpeg.562ae8fd48557dda2d3dc28a10cc78b9.jpeg

Though I like the beef and the Chivito Uruguayo, Argentina & Uruguay have some of the most bland diets in the entire world  

With the exception of when someone of Italian descent is cooking in their home, the “spice rack” for these two countries consists of…

015B85C9-97EA-4544-AE2A-5E4FE4CAC516.thumb.jpeg.7621b628212252c14665ea6deead6510.jpeg

Fine salt or Coarse salt

What a range!

10 hours ago, Napoleon said:

Most probably don’t care, but NO alcohol of any kind is sold at soccer games in Argentina, so this isn’t some criminal in my eyes. People die each year due to soccer violence without alcohol being served on sight and it would likely be 5 to 10-fold if the law was different. Not positive, but I think that Brazil follows the same rules for the same reason. Someone who knows, please confirm.

From my experience at River Plate Stadium (WC 2010 qualifier vs. Chile) there was no alcohol served within like a 2 mile radius of the stadium on match day. That was unexpected and sucked. However, there was no shortage of mota in the supporters section, thats for sure. Porteños still getting fuuucked up for sure. Lets see folks do that in Qatar.

• Hook 'Em 2

5 hours ago, Bottlecap said:

From my experience at River Plate Stadium (WC 2010 qualifier vs. Chile) there was no alcohol served within like a 2 mile radius of the stadium on match day. That was unexpected and sucked. However, there was no shortage of mota in the supporters section, thats for sure. Porteños still getting fuuucked up for sure. Lets see folks do that in Qatar.

Is “mota” slang for weed? (aka “porro”)

I do prefer that the fans are getting stoned over getting (more) drunk once they are inside the stadium.

I think that the “Dry Zone” is 1 kilometer, but it could be more. “2 miles” (about 3.5 kms) seems a little much. 

Also, at most (or all?) stadiums you aren’t allowed to wear the jersey of one team if you are sitting in the opposite team’s section.  

1 hour ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Regarding alcohol at matches in Brazil, as far as I know, it’s a state by state law. Before the 2014 WC it was prohibited nationwide though.

I have only been to one game in Brazil (São Paulo vs Palmeiras) in 2006. I don’t recall seeing beer.

I went to some mid-week match at the Maracana on something like the 11th or 12th of February back in 2004. We didn’t arrive until halftime (and missed all of the goals) and I don’t recall drinking anything. 

I went to a match on the island of Florianopolis in the state of Santa Catarina in February of 2009. It was in the state tournament that happens before the league season starts. I recall eating from a street vender outside and maybe we bought a can of beer from a cooler, but I don’t recall having a beer inside. 

STADIUM exterior:2AF4D048-D354-443F-8DA2-1881253FC50B.jpeg.a5a0ec0617df039e6dd86ec05b389e85.jpeg

PREGAME:B5EBA3E5-1CDC-4550-A19C-DD6631887728.jpeg.5413f038d8db6425fff9ca4fa0d69a2f.jpeg

STREET FOOD: F4BF0319-663B-41B3-A376-8E775997867D.jpeg.517592e408653317b4a4ef17eaeece73.jpeg

JERSEY & FAN SECTION: 31DB5722-D2F7-4573-9A96-F35142CD9D37.jpeg.7c0ab521faaeda653bc2a44f456da910.jpeg

Don’t see any beers.

ALSO…

REFEREE LADY’S ASS: 3DF8BA37-2E19-4DA0-9681-815481BFB8E7.jpeg.b35ff35e3e7a0f02dbe11b93209c451b.jpeg

REPORTER’S ASS: EC253657-4463-4B7C-92AA-A61E552D0AF5.jpeg.cb0ba3fd0d068454001644494433a95b.jpeg

BEAUTIFUL FAN: DF917F65-D080-4BCA-BF1A-5B9CB24EB28E.jpeg.d7d1526af38dac26dd2b829d6e31b41d.jpeg

*original photos are gone forever. These lower quality photos were gleaned from social media.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 4

7 hours ago, Napoleon said:

I went to some mid-week match at the Maracana on something like the 11th or 12th of February back in 2004. We didn’t arrive until halftime (and missed all of the goals) and I don’t recall drinking anything. 

I went to a match on the island of Florianopolis in the state of Santa Catarina in February of 2009. It was in the state tournament that happens before the league season starts. I recall eating from a street vender outside and maybe we bought a can of beer from a cooler, but I don’t recall having a beer inside. 

STADIUM exterior:2AF4D048-D354-443F-8DA2-1881253FC50B.jpeg.a5a0ec0617df039e6dd86ec05b389e85.jpeg

PREGAME:B5EBA3E5-1CDC-4550-A19C-DD6631887728.jpeg.5413f038d8db6425fff9ca4fa0d69a2f.jpeg

STREET FOOD: F4BF0319-663B-41B3-A376-8E775997867D.jpeg.517592e408653317b4a4ef17eaeece73.jpeg

JERSEY & FAN SECTION: 31DB5722-D2F7-4573-9A96-F35142CD9D37.jpeg.7c0ab521faaeda653bc2a44f456da910.jpeg

Don’t see any beers.

ALSO…

REFEREE LADY’S ASS: 3DF8BA37-2E19-4DA0-9681-815481BFB8E7.jpeg.b35ff35e3e7a0f02dbe11b93209c451b.jpeg

REPORTER’S ASS: EC253657-4463-4B7C-92AA-A61E552D0AF5.jpeg.cb0ba3fd0d068454001644494433a95b.jpeg

BEAUTIFUL FAN: DF917F65-D080-4BCA-BF1A-5B9CB24EB28E.jpeg.d7d1526af38dac26dd2b829d6e31b41d.jpeg

*original photos are gone forever. These lower quality photos were gleaned from social media.

Ahhhh as brasileiras. Beleza.

I'd love to visit Floripa next visit, no question.  

I attended a Flamengo - Fluminense match at the Maracanã in 2015 and don't recall beer anywhere, although there was a messed-up teen who occasionally stumbled over to the fence between the sections to flip off the opposing fans. He was so trashed that even the cops were laughing as they brought him back to his buddies - wasn't even worth kicking him out.

• Hook 'Em 1

I was just watching this on a loop for about 10 minutes...

I didn't remember this game, probably didn't watch it, and definitely didn't know about the greatness of the assist or the goal until Argentina's 2014 World Cup song came out. Set to the "Bad Moon Rising" tune, it reminds Brazil that they are coming (only less humble than that by a multitude of thousands), that this was a momentous assist, the goal was legendary, and finally that Maradona is better than Pelé.

The song was sung everywhere. In the streets of Argentina, in the subways of Buenos Aires, in the bars, (probably) in the schools*... except for this year, the World Cup is always right in the middle of the school year. The first two-three weeks are during the end of the 1st semester and then the last two weeks are during Winter Break. The song was also heard in the streets of Brazil as well as the stadiums... and 7 years later, in a locker room in Brazil.

Normally there is a softer rendition, then an explosion of sound and energy (hence the jumping). This cycle was repeated for 10 to 20 to 40 minutes... maybe longer?

They have to jump, because they would explode if they didn't release the energy. It's extremely annoying for all other fans, because they never tire. Even saying over and over that Brazil has 5 stars on their kit and Argentina only has 2 doesn't matter. They just keep going.

IN THE STREETS OF BRAZIL:

IN THE STADIUMS OF BRAZIL:

ON A SUBWAY IN BRAZIL (Though this was a regular occurrence in Buenos Aires.)

In Buenos Aires, the riders were singing and banging on the ceiling and the subway train conductor came over the loud speaker and asked for everyone's attention. The people quoted down and then he said basically: "Everyone who is singing, I need your attention... I can't hear you up here. You need to sing louder!" And the riders went absolutely nuts. They started shouting the song as loudly as they could, jumped up and down and smacked the shit out of whatever would make noise. Just fucking glorious!

IN A FOOD COURT IN BRAZIL (with the Pope): LOTS OF JUMPING

FINALLY... IN A LOCKER ROOM IN BRAZIL (After beating Brazil in Brazil to win the 2021 Copa America):

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, Kringelbert Fishtybuns said:

1990 was on TNT.  That day you had Brazil/Argentina followed by West Germany/Holland (Voller/Rijkaard spitting incident).

It was a Sunday and my dad said we would be skipping church over my mom’s objections/confusion.

Mrs. Fishtybuns (matriarch)

F76503CD-069D-4F47-BE86-14FAEC8756F8.jpeg.d261e12c4ca3dde4ba3eabba010cc517.jpeg

…because…

D6B150A8-CFC6-4831-B0DF-18D55FBDCB2A.thumb.jpeg.431d4ec7e21de04c3f4bfc2ebd2a6d32.jpeg

• Haha 7

@Buzzrock posted this is some other random thread, but...

I have a friend from Ecuador who would be absolutely furious if this turns out to be true.

I could see how a player in Ecuador's domestic league, or at the end of their career, would accept nearly $1 million just to throw one game in a tournament that they aren't likely to do much in anyway. Or perhaps they think that they can win their other two matches and so it won't matter if they drop points to Qatar. (Players can think strange things.)

I hope that Qatar loses all three matches, but it's not likely... especially with how much money they have to corrupt the sport... even more.

• Hook 'Em 2

In other Copa Mundial news...

Argentina, Uruguay take 4,000 pounds of meat to World Cup

The national teams of Argentina and Uruguay have each taken 2,000 pounds of meat (900 kilos) with them to the World Cup so players and staff can have a taste of home during the tournament in Qatar.

In the case of Uruguay, the country's National Institute of Meat (INAC) reached an agreement with the Uruguay FA (AUF) earlier this month to supply the meat.

"The national team is being accompanied by the best nourishment," AUF president Ignacio Alonso said. "The AUF is a historic ambassador of our country and will take with it another ambassador, which is Uruguayan meat, the best meat in the world."

Argentina and Uruguay are among the biggest consumers of meat in the world and the asado is considered one the most popular dishes in the countries. The asado is made of different cuts of meats and sausages and cooked on the grill.

Both national teams also made asados in recent World Cups.

"The mate [special tea], the asado [meat] and football go together in Uruguay and are part of our culture," INAC president Conrado Ferber said. "We want to convey the quality of the product, natural and sustainable, and the World Cup is the optimal time to do so."

The Celeste are training this week in the United Arab Emirates ahead of their World Cup opener against South Korea on Nov. 24.

Uruguay's national team already made their first asado in Abu Dhabi's luxurious Park Hyatt Hotel where they are staying. Aldo Cauteruccio, chef of Uruguay's national team, was in charge of the barbecue.

Argentina, meanwhile, arrived in Doha, Qatar, on Thursday and the team celebrated Wednesday's 5-0 win over the United Arab Emirates with an asado. A total of 72 people make up the Argentina delegation.

Argentina coach Lionel Scaloni spoke about the importance of the asado as a way to unite the group.

"My favourite food is the asado, but it's more than that," he said. "It creates an atmosphere of union and collective chemistry.

"It's part of our culture, of the Argentine idiosyncrasy.

"It's during that time that we get to talk, to laugh, relax and connect...It's not necessarily about the meat, although we love it. It's to be part of a group and the connection that it generates."

https://www.espn.com/soccer/fifa-world-cup/story/4805208/argentinauruguay-take-4,000-pounds-of-meat-to-world-cup

image.png.5cae045451bbac714a04bb03c5937f49.png

image.png.c895702c38145932ec5dce4c784fa99b.png

image.png.8eb6e0e77d5a45e93ca8fa5ae83944b0.png

image.png.45186f3508a1013294e8f407e4eaa1b3.png
Uruguay was part of the Viceroy of the Rio de la Plata when they fought for their independence from 1813-16 and then broke away from Argentina back in about 1822. (Argentina wouldn't conquer Patagonia for over half a century, so borders were fluid.) That said, they have always been joined at the hip.

From the creation of tango by freed slaves, to replacing labor of those who died in the Yellow Fever epidemic of 1870-1 with European immigrants to drinking shit-loads of Yerba Mate (the Uruguayos blow the Argentinos away in this department) to the heart disease-inducing epic amounts of beef that is ingested on an annual basis. Tons of Uruguayans live in Buenos Aires at some point in their lives and they fit in like someone from Long Island or Northern New Jersey moving to NYC.

This article makes me smile.

NOTE: Photos are not mine, they are just snagged from a Google search because they match the ones I have enjoyed over the years.

image.png.42d501d46ece9c1e06ab624994e53c7a.png

image.png.15fd58a3a1fd846f8126bc1ad380eedc.png

image.thumb.png.a910ab2c816af29c31e25477a71cb7b4.png

And an asado from when the Big 3 South American strikers formed the trident in Barcelona and Javier Mascherano was there as well.

Cómo un "asadito" de Mascherano unió a Messi, Neymar y Luis Suárez

A partir de la buena relación que forjaron fuera del campo, los tres delanteros de Barcelona reforzaron su entendimiento en la cancha; el Jefecito, una pieza clave.

image.png.6a10b8798fb60baf43131a771647dc18.png

image.png.cb6264f8ab8c27a912743754467580e9.png

https://www.elliberal.com.ar/noticia/deportivo/191266/como-asadito-mascherano-unio-messi-neymar-luis-suarez

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Drool 5

It turns out that India is a major footballing nation with regards to fandom even if they haven't quite become a footballing nation on the national team front.

Brazil & Argentina are reportedly the two favorite national teams for soccer fans in India... probably because they are not a part of EUFA.

This procession of Argentine supporters looks a tad different than the ones I posted above. See if you can detect some of the differences. 

PS- From the posters' comment to select replies, one may detect an undercurrent of (blatant) racism.

#OnBrand

On 11/16/2022 at 2:40 PM, Patricio Swayze said:

Regarding alcohol at matches in Brazil, as far as I know, it’s a state by state law. Before the 2014 WC it was prohibited nationwide though.

I have only been to one game in Brazil (São Paulo vs Palmeiras) in 2006. I don’t recall seeing beer.

Liga MX brings beer (and raman) to your seat, but no belts though.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Napoleon said:

@Buzzrock posted this is some other random thread, but...

I have a friend from Ecuador who would be absolutely furious if this turns out to be true.

I could see how a player in Ecuador's domestic league, or at the end of their career, would accept nearly $1 million just to throw one game in a tournament that they aren't likely to do much in anyway. Or perhaps they think that they can win their other two matches and so it won't matter if they drop points to Qatar. (Players can think strange things.)

I hope that Qatar loses all three matches, but it's not likely... especially with how much money they have to corrupt the sport... even more.

27 minutes ago, Firemans4Horn said:

Sounds awesome

It wouldn’t take much for participating countries to take control of Qatar between now and Sunday. 

Completely overthrowing those shits would be hilarious, but PSG would suffer and drop to the second division + have penalty points at the end of the season. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Firemans4Horn said:

Sounds awesome

I would think the real gain is the signage on the pitch and interview backdrops.  I mean the corporate activation areas and prominent signage at the venues is a "nice to have" but I would think the majority of a sponsorship deal at any WC would come from what the world sees on TV, not some hidden beer tent.  I would think InBev/BudCo had lawyers smart enough to figure out provisos for this considering they've known for six years they were dealing with a nation-state where alcohol was effectively illegal.  

All that said, good luck on bringing a lawsuit in "Qatari Islamic Beer Court"   awesome band, shitty venue for a civil case

• Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, SimonBolivar said:

but no belts though.

"Obie, I can understand you wanting my wallet so I don't have any money to spend in the cell, but what do you want my belt for?"

And he said, "Kid, we don't want any hangings."

I said, "Obie, did you think I was going to hang myself for littering?"

On 11/17/2022 at 1:04 AM, Napoleon said:

I was just watching this on a loop for about 10 minutes...

I didn't remember this game, probably didn't watch it, and definitely didn't know about the greatness of the assist or the goal until Argentina's 2014 World Cup song came out. Set to the "Bad Moon Rising" tune, it reminds Brazil that they are coming (only less humble than that by a multitude of thousands), that this was a momentous assist, the goal was legendary, and finally that Maradona is better than Pelé.

The song was sung everywhere. In the streets of Argentina, in the subways of Buenos Aires, in the bars, (probably) in the schools*... except for this year, the World Cup is always right in the middle of the school year. The first two-three weeks are during the end of the 1st semester and then the last two weeks are during Winter Break. The song was also heard in the streets of Brazil as well as the stadiums... and 7 years later, in a locker room in Brazil.

Normally there is a softer rendition, then an explosion of sound and energy (hence the jumping). This cycle was repeated for 10 to 20 to 40 minutes... maybe longer?

They have to jump, because they would explode if they didn't release the energy. It's extremely annoying for all other fans, because they never tire. Even saying over and over that Brazil has 5 stars on their kit and Argentina only has 2 doesn't matter. They just keep going.

IN THE STREETS OF BRAZIL:

IN THE STADIUMS OF BRAZIL:

ON A SUBWAY IN BRAZIL (Though this was a regular occurrence in Buenos Aires.)

In Buenos Aires, the riders were singing and banging on the ceiling and the subway train conductor came over the loud speaker and asked for everyone's attention. The people quoted down and then he said basically: "Everyone who is singing, I need your attention... I can't hear you up here. You need to sing louder!" And the riders went absolutely nuts. They started shouting the song as loudly as they could, jumped up and down and smacked the shit out of whatever would make noise. Just fucking glorious!

IN A FOOD COURT IN BRAZIL (with the Pope): LOTS OF JUMPING

FINALLY... IN A LOCKER ROOM IN BRAZIL (After beating Brazil in Brazil to win the 2021 Copa America):

This is why I love Argentina. Cocky, sure in the greatness of their team (Messi will be bringing it home this year), hottest women in the world with the best steaks you can have anywhere. Let’s go!!

15 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Why do we have 12 world cup threads. What are we doing? 

One was started over two years ago and one was started a year and a half later by people not capable of using search (or understandably couldn’t find it with the bunk search system here).  No surprise. I think some people were seeking refuge from napoleon’s stream of consciousness posts with 50 random photos and videos in them (jk, luv you you crazy Argentinian bastard) in the other thread so they came to this thread instead. 

but yes, it is a touch annoying. Hopefully it is not too many clicks for @hayden_horn to merge the two threads under my suggested fyre fest thread title.  It would be nice to be able to shit all over Qatar shittyness and corrupt eurotrash and Africans in one place. 

Edited by sidis

• MoJames changed the title to UNOFFICIAL NON SPANISH SPEAKING FYRE FEST THREAD - PLEASE DELETE ME