MUNDIAL XXII

MoJames

On 9/16/2022 at 9:27 PM, dogbreath said:

Bring it on. 

Late to the convo on this, but

1 -- I love Michael Sheen so, so, much.  Full mancrush.  He's a treasure.

2 -- If I was a billionaire, I'd have him on retainer to give me inspirational speeches, randomly recite poetry, and just be badass Michael Sheen.

Shit, I'd have him do this recitation every day, as I have my morning coffee (one of the greatest poetry interpretations I've ever heard in my life):

If he doesn't get you in a mood to take on the world, nothing will.

Also, I am beyond bearish on our prospects this cup.  I think we shit the bed, in epic fashion.  But I love that first round matches are during a holiday week, hopefully I'll catch several.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

"Australia mysteriously leads World Cup in Penalties"

Ceded?

or taken?

They got completely F’ed against Italy 🇮🇹 in either 2002 or 2006. Absolute dive upon entering the left side of the box and the red blows the whistle and points to the spot. 

Easy for the ref to give it, but an absolute “The Fix is in!” call.

Australia is the USA of Asia/Oceana. They are (predominantly) white, wealthy, powerful well beyond their population, and part of the overlord ring formed from former British colonies. They are good in Rugby, Cricket, and the Olympics, they don’t need to succeed in soccer too. 

The greatest single performance that I can recall in an individual game in the World Cups I’ve watched closely. 

I don’t know if I watched all of Diego vs England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 in 1986, though I definitely saw highlights. 

In 2006, Brazil was the the reigning champ, Ronaldo Fenomeno had just become the all-time leading World Cup scorer, they also had Ronaldinho, Roberto Carlos, and a star-studded cast of starters and bench players. 

Zidane had announced that he would retire after the World Cup, but had looked like he had already retired in the group stage where he had played like an old man and picked up yellow cards in the first two games (I think) and had to sit out the 3rd group stage match. (Either that, or the round of 16.)

I watched this match in NIKE’s event center on Melrose @ Le Brea on the edge of Hollywood and a handful of ad agency peeps showed up with their young kids sporting Brazil jerseys. (This location was created to shmooze people who worked at ad agencies… which my best friend in LA did.)

Then the whistle blew and the bald wizard of North African descent put on a clinic. Zizou was Dumbledore and Brazil was like a collection of first year Hogwarts students with a few Muggles sprinkled it.

#Legend

Edited by Napoleon
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

They are getting ready en la capital. (Buenos Aires)

From a friend’s video on Facebook (and maybe IG).

1E48C94F-3819-464F-A1F4-7D2B0806CE5C.thumb.jpeg.6b790aa27b1c1e0a06a4211c1610b2e1.jpeg

6DD0DDC3-A594-49CC-80AA-FB43F7F94D76.thumb.jpeg.4e145da5655f2dc55270119435e0bcf5.jpeg

A83745FD-0D91-4116-A3FB-B49E019D9E10.thumb.jpeg.f02b1b4f3b2be5eab8aeedda2c6cd850.jpeg

3EBD97F1-3406-4626-88C9-478F39D2104F.thumb.jpeg.afd6cb2959b3371f18dadf8439d1a4eb.jpeg

C6635F61-6834-4137-A9D8-543FD8224095.thumb.jpeg.9be95a71a93e157d568a339de51a5744.jpeg

1443A0CC-34D4-4B7C-90A7-25343DB9D916.thumb.jpeg.1d67a65e90c90d7c74cf799902d9172a.jpeg

98A228D2-7F18-41A3-A998-3EC10A249382.thumb.jpeg.5bba6f7e3d6ddb324a3af57c7e526fdd.jpeg

This is how soccer countries prepare for the World Cup. 

I want to visit Germany, Spain, and/or return to Argentina during this year’s tournament because the electricity in the air doesn’t exist in the U.S.

• Hook 'Em 1

Potential bad news for South Korea, Heung-min Son needs surgery on a facial fracture suffered in Tottenham's Champions League game earlier this week. Neither team has a time table of his return so his World Cup is potentially in jeopardy.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/12736761/heung-min-son-tottenham-confirm-forward-to-undergo-surgery-on-fracture-around-his-eye 

• Rage+1 1

6 hours ago, shnsajax said:

Fuck!

That increases the USMNT's chances of making it to the Quarterfinals.

That said...

The USMNT is not making it to the Quarterfinals.

In other news...

24 minutes ago, kingkoopa6 said:

@kingkoopa6

passed this along on the other thread.

https://www.ea.com/games/fifa/fifa-23/world-cup/make-your-prediction

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, Bottlecap said:

this is cool

Love Uruguay!

Un chivito uruguayo es riquísimo!

image.jpeg.e0fe8da440aa41bf1f6bb467e6d4f03e.jpeg

I loved that video, because that is a sleepy AF little country with slow movers who drink Yerba Mate like Italians drink espressos. Non… Stop!!

Shots that hit close to home from the video…

2BE026FB-D5E6-4444-B9D1-A0ABA69B7A16.thumb.jpeg.d76fdf779d3612fe9b6a7c5b26a71d6e.jpeg

Paysandú:

Went up to Colón (ARG) one weekend and drove over to Paysandú to get the passport stamped for 90 more days of being legal in Argentina. (aka a “visa run”)

59D57AA8-3299-4C5A-B280-1E48BC405303.thumb.jpeg.adb57ed012a44ce710dd32705aa91a42.jpeg

Colonia:

Town right across the Rio de la Plata from Buenos Aires. The #1 town for a visa run, because you could take a 1 hour ferry in the morning, wander around and then have a chivito uruguayo for lunch and then take the ferry back. [Wash, Rinse, Repeat]

B271DA6D-390F-403D-B0BF-49EB58FE1348.thumb.jpeg.8f22d4af51d976a33a853a2f4f39a978.jpeg

Montevideo:

My second visa run ever was in August of ‘07 to Montevideo. Three hour ferry ride, then you have to make it from the ferry/cruise ship port up into town.

The nation’s capital is like a miniature of Buenos Aires. The population of Uruguay is a smidgen more than the population within Buenos Aires’ city limits, but roughly 1/4 of “Gran Buenos Aires”, which is the Buenos Aires metropolitan area. It is insane how many world class players little ol’ Uruguay produces. 

88C5CB12-E6D4-4081-A095-9E1C1274AA4C.thumb.jpeg.026c2280a1925c5490bfa203800a20aa.jpeg

Punta del Este:

Kind of “The Hamptons” for porteños (people who live in Buenos Aires). The moneyed crowd of Buenos Aires slips out of town in mid-late December after the final polo tournament of the season and heads to “Punta”.

Celebrity polo matches take place as people prep for Christmas. Then others arrive after Christmas in the buildup for NYE, followed by those who aren’t quite as loaded. 

Went one year with the Argie novia, because her family had a condo there. It was nice. Got the passport stamped on that trip as well. 

And finally…

06314828-B5BA-4AE4-B70E-C8740B595A85.thumb.jpeg.399cef5ded9406ffee34981d747ca730.jpeg

White Lab Coats:

Argentine President, Free Mason, Scholastic Godfather of Argentina (and next level racist) Domingo Faustino Sarmiento purportedly visited the USA in the late 1860s/early 1870s and saw elementary school students wearing lab coats to school and brought that back to Argentina. To this day, public school kids still wear a white lab coat 🥼 to school over their clothes. My guess is that Uruguay just copied the custom. 

Edited by Napoleon
  • Hook 'Em 3

17 minutes ago, LonghornSean said:

Texas-Baylor announced for 11am on black friday, meaning the 2nd half will be in direct conflict with most of US-England. Still not sure what I'll do, but at least UT's suckage means there likely won't be too much at stake.

Easy

1- Send wife/GF to go shopping.

2- Go to a bar that will have them both on. 

3- Say fuck it and enjoy the games. 

7 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Easy

1- Send wife/GF to go shopping.

2- Go to a bar that will have them both on. 

3- Say fuck it and enjoy the games. 

Problem is we pay a silly amount of money for season tickets. Certainly considering selling/letting someone else use them or leaving at half time so I can watch both but having the WC conflict with football season in general is very weird and annoying.

Edited by LonghornSean
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Just now, LonghornSean said:

Problem is we pay a silly amount of money for season tickets. Certainly considering letting someone else use them or leaving at half time so I can watch both but having the WC conflict with football season in general is very weird and annoying.

Yep, it is quite odd. 

Donate them to a Veterans or First Responders group. Might be able to deduct from taxes.

• Hook 'Em 2

The early group stage during Thanksgiving week is going to be fantastic.  Although I will watch most if not all of the games, the most interesting games (IMO) during the first week are as follows (all times ET):

Monday (Group A and Group B) - (Fantastic group of games for Group B fans)

England v. Iran (I am listing all Group B games for obvious reasons) 8 a.m. FS1

Senegal v. Netherlands (the two favorites in Group A and likely opponents for whoever emerges from Group B) 11:00 a.m. FOX

USA v. Wales 2:00 p.m. FOX

Tuesday (Group C and Group D) - (Any day on which Saudi, Tunisia and Australia all play is going to be relatively weak on paper)

Mexico v. Poland (the battle for 2nd in Group C) 11:00 a.m. FOX

Wednesday (Group E and Group F) - (Better than Tuesday but pretty average due to CONCACAF duo and Morocco)

Germany v. Japan (Japan has a chance to make Group E the real Group of Death with a result here) 8:00 a.m. FS1

Thursday (Group G and Group H) - (All four games are intriguing.  These groups will only become more interesting as the tournament progresses) 

Brazil v. Serbia (Can the favorites get 3 points against a tricky Serbian side?) 2:00 PM FOX

Friday (Group A and Group B) - (Group B gets serious)

Wales v. Iran (We probably want a draw here.  Record this and watch it instead of Qatar v. Senegal) 5:00 a.m. FS1

England v. USA 2 p.m. ET FOX

Saturday (Group C and Group D) (Great matches between group favorites)

France v. Denmark (the battle to avoid Argentina?) 11 a.m. FOX

Argentina v. Mexico (Mexico could be violently desperate here depending on Poland result) 2 p.m. FOX

Sunday (Group E and Group F) (Clash of the Titans and meh)

Spain v. Germany 2 p.m. FOX

2 hours ago, Captain Ron said:

Like I said, if you went to this World Cup, anything that happens to you, you deserve it. 

Yep. Our SG had a few invites to go with part of AO and USSF, most of couldn't take off work that long but we have 2 guys going. I'll post what they send us they arrive tomorrow. 

• MoJames changed the title to UNOFFICIAL NON SPANISH SPEAKING FYRE FEST THREAD - PLEASE DELETE ME