Orange White Spring Game, Sat. April 23rd (Gates Open 4pm. Game starts 6pm)

LTtxfan

1 hour ago, Red Five said:

I'm not trying to be argumentative. But.... you think we will name Card the starter during fall camp so that he doesn't portal?

If that happens, this entire coaching staff is doomed and we might as well start thinking about next.

Edited by David Dennison
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

Not that one practice/game is adequate data for conclusions, but if I were to make judgements based solely on this Spring Game I’d say Ewers will definitely be starting over Card though the ride could be bumpier than the Longhorn faithful would hope, hype about Neyor seems justified, seems like we can expect a lot of good, maybe great, starting talent at the skill positions, but the trenches are probably going to continue to hold us back.  And defense did nothing to instill confidence

• Hook 'Em 2

28 minutes ago, USNALonghorn said:

I really hope I'm wrong about K, but I wish we could just cut to the chase and replace him already.

There were multiple plays last year  where it was third and 8 and our cornerbacks were 10 yards off the ball and bailed at the snap. Even if you really think they’re gonna go over the top in that situation let them maybe it’ll be an overthrow. Instead they throw underneath and it’s an easy first down every time and we get death by 1000 cuts. between our offense’s three and outs and their long sustained drives our defense is always gassed by the 4th

4 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Also, reading through this thread is a depressing reminder that we've been bad at football for a really, really long time.

Sarkisian doesn't seem to have the requisite passion, for starters. It also seems that he is woefully short on adjustmentality: second-half performances were pathetic last season, whether ahead or trailing at half-time. Not least, he seems to be trying to do both HC and OC jobs at the same time, each job making the other more difficult, and neither being done particularly well. We're going to need the D to pull some games out of the fire for us, and it doesn't look like PK has the chops to make that happen. 

Patterson looks like a guy biding his time. I suspect that he is making suggestions, and that most are being ignored by the DC. Feels like the results are being watched by CDC and (hopefully) by SLS. A reprise of last mid-eason's collapse - especially on D - should be enough to get Gary Patterson to DC. Hell, if O doesn't produce significantly better, Steve might be in for a demotion, too.

• Haha 1

Plenty of this.  For many admittedly.  Many of the ones high on the horns last preseason are many of the same ones down on them this time around. 
I  remember coming in here after a closed scrimmage, after many were riding high on the team after the summer,  stating that what i saw that August, especially the offense, was not good and needed a lot of work. It was dismissed until after Arkansas when many changed their tune. 
I can say this confidently.  What i saw yesterday was much MUCH better than what i saw last August.  What that means this season, not sure.  I hear the rest of the B12 is down. 
Sark's number one qualification for a QB is protecting the ball.  Card at this point does that better.  Sark's number two qualification is deliver the ball down field.  Quinn far and away does that better.  It will be interesting to see what Sark will choose but my bet is Card starts with a short leash and then Quinn comes in and quickly takes over and his flash/momentum excuse all the rookie errors.  
RB's look good 1-4.
Whittington Neyor and Worthy look good.  (Washington, Dixon and Harrison don't.)
JT looks good. Gunnar is serviceable.
oLine was serviceable.  Sark has stated, recently, he is expecting freshman to come in and play.  I hope they are that good. 
Dline looked slow early and better late.
LB's are not that much better. JB still sucks.  It was his gap that Roschon ran the long play for.  Granted the freshman DB also let him escape from his tackle.
Again, we didn't look great yesterday but we look way better than last August.  I could easily see 8 or 9 wins.  If they grow up in a hurry they could be a really good team by the end of the season.  Is it likely no, but very possible.  Again, I'm not as down as i was last season.  Oh and I'd go with Quinn asap.  Like game 1 mid first quarter.  We'll see.           

Gotta go with Quinn now to give him every rep and max coaching. He has the arm talent and the mentality. He looks calm and naturally accurate. I think him being calm in the pocket is probably the biggest differentiator between him and card.
  • Hook 'Em 4

24 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

Patterson looks like a guy biding his time. I suspect that he is making suggestions, and that most are being ignored by the DC. Feels like the results are being watched by CDC and (hopefully) by SLS. A reprise of last mid-eason's collapse - especially on D - should be enough to get Gary Patterson to DC. Hell, if O doesn't produce significantly better, Steve might be in for a demotion, too.

Happy Sunday to you too

Card still tenaciously sucks (unsurprising), but I was also surprised how fluffy and unathletic Ewers appeared.

I guess his one good throw was encouraging, but would’ve been nice to see even a moderate indication of conditioning and/or weight training from a guy whose had fuck-all to do for basically 3 years other than finesse NIL money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

Card still tenaciously sucks (unsurprising), but I was also surprised how fluffy and unathletic Ewers appeared.

I guess his one good throw was encouraging, but would’ve been nice to see even a moderate indication of conditioning and/or weight training from a guy whose had fuck-all to do for basically 3 years other than finesse NIL money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Haha 1

The art of SARK giving more reps this summer to Quinn while keeping Card happy enough to stick around will be interesting to watch.  SARK may decide to protect Quinn by not starting him till after Bama game.  Similar to how Lincoln Riley replaced Rattler, it's only a matter of time before Quinn is the starter at some point in the 2022 season assuming he continues improving.  

Defense

The lack of production from upperclassmen at D-line is a damn JOKE !!!  This defense would be so much better with good D-line play.  Safety, LB and CB play should be a little better in 2022 -- but damn it Jamison needs to get his shit together in a fuckin' hurry !!! 

• Hook 'Em 1

16 hours ago, Napoleon said:

Don’t be a dumb ass and parrot bullshit. 

Ewers had a fall camp, a fall season, a spring camp, and is 19 years. He is at the end of his freshman year in college just like he should be. 

Look in the mirror and repeat “Today I am going to try to not be a dumb ass.” every day until you stop posting shit like this. 

Being held back in 3rd grade or whenever doesn't make him a more accurate passer or better at reading defenses. What matters is his "high-level" football experience.

Ewers was in high school for three years, starting games for 1.5 them, and has zero years of meaningful college football snaps. That's less experience than most incoming QBs like Klubnik and Weigman. Shit, he might have developed more as a HS senior playing games and getting practice reps than as tOSU's 4th string QB getting whatever scraps were leftover after the top 3. So get into semantics all you want but if you don't think there are going to be growing pains, idk what to tell you.

• Hook 'Em 2

Couple of things from the rewatch:

If the WR’s can stay healthy, the deep ability of Worthy and Neyor combined with the arm strength of Ewers is going to make defenses have to cover the entire field. Whittington, Sanders, and Bijan can do a lot of damage underneath with all the space they will have. 

As Bobby said, if Ewers can “master the mundane” then he will be the starting QB because he is already capable of the spectacular. 

I focused on Christian Jones on the OL and watched him every play he was in. He only gave up one sack in an inside move by Dorbah, but was otherwise solid with some nice drive blocks in the run game. Of course, he was mostly going against the #2 defense but he did have some wins against Ojomo. If he is merely serviceable at the RT position, that will help a lot. 

Blackwell and Crawford brought some needed physicality and attitude to the safety position. 

I tried focusing on Collins on the D-line but he just didn’t do a whole lot. Maybe he was tying up blockers, but it just seems like our DT’s besides Murphy just play too high. The big kid from Mississippi Aaron Bryant made a real nice play shooting in to have a TFL near the goal line. 

• Hook 'Em 4

19 minutes ago, RickysWeedDealer said:

All this speculation needs to stop.  Our BMD didn't okay that money to watch Hudson start.  Sarkisian knows the deal, Ewers is the starter.  

And if Hudson wants to go, then he should.  We have Maalik, most likely Arch.  I think Alabama pressing for Holstein shows they're not confident. 

Edited by RickysWeedDealer
Can't spell Maalik

4 hours ago, immamac said:

If you couldn’t see the fundamentals problems with these guys then idk what to tell you. The team lacks depth at positions that are filled with good/elite players and the ones that don’t are JAG who gives a fuck deep. It was bad. The defense looks very very bad. The offense with 1 or 2 injuries is absolute dogshit. 

major-league-randy.gif

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Duane Moore said:

Couple of things from the rewatch:

If the WR’s can stay healthy, the deep ability of Worthy and Neyor combined with the arm strength of Ewers is going to make defenses have to cover the entire field. Whittington, Sanders, and Bijan can do a lot of damage underneath with all the space they will have. 

As Bobby said, if Ewers can “master the mundane” then he will be the starting QB because he is already capable of the spectacular. 

I focused on Christian Jones on the OL and watched him every play he was in. He only gave up one sack in an inside move by Dorbah, but was otherwise solid with some nice drive blocks in the run game. Of course, he was mostly going against the #2 defense but he did have some wins against Ojomo. If he is merely serviceable at the RT position, that will help a lot. 

Blackwell and Crawford brought some needed physicality and attitude to the safety position. 

I tried focusing on Collins on the D-line but he just didn’t do a whole lot. Maybe he was tying up blockers, but it just seems like our DT’s besides Murphy just play too high. The big kid from Mississippi Aaron Bryant made a real nice play shooting in to have a TFL near the goal line. 

Bryant’s play was a straight up OL bust. Center blocked down to the left and the guard went right, nobody touched him. It’s spring, but that shit still shouldn’t happen 

• Hook 'Em 2

24 minutes ago, RickysWeedDealer said:

Not sure, but I think Bama pressing for Holstein is a good sign.  I think if they felt good, they would not be pushing for him so hard.  

And what I don't understand is Holstein loves Bama, that's why he decommited, and Saban pushed for that.   He's visited there 3 times. So, is Saban using him for bait, and why no commitment?  Shitty thing to do if Arch commits, because Holstein loves the school 

14 minutes ago, Goodman said:

Maybe so this year. Tough to be optimistic when it seems we’re beat at the point of attack by most teams we play. 

It wasn’t even being beat at the point of the attack when it came to the counter play that got ran down our throat last year. We had no idea how to play the pulling guard and gain leverage on the play to force the RB back into the teeth of the defense.

The fact we showed any type of competence in defending the play in any setting is a step in the right direction.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, 6th Street said:

Chris Naggar posted tweets of himself making long field goals too, but he didn't pan out. Not saying it will be the same for Will Stone, but time will tell, not the tweets.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, sith_horn said:

Chris Naggar posted tweets of himself making long field goals too, but he didn't pan out. Not saying it will be the same for Will Stone, but time will tell, not the tweets.

Kinda funny that Chris Naggar is kicking for Dallas now 😋

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, The Original Greaser Bob said:

Look you boys, you all need to focus on getting riled up about World Cup, and then everything anything good that happens this fall in pointy ball will be gravy.

Bad news dude. World Cup isn’t played in summer this year. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

Kinda funny that Chris Naggar is kicking for Dallas now 😋

That's great. But he didn't take the starting position of kicker at Texas. I had high hopes for him when he came on in part because of those tweets he used to post. That and I think he was "all Texas" and who doesn't like that?

Here's his Texas Roster Link:  2019 Texas Football Roster - Chris Naggar

According to Wikipedia, looks like he did well at SMU and has managed to sorta hang on in the NFL but doesn't look like he's been killing it either.

Link:  Wikipedia - Chris Naggar

I hope it all comes together for him and he kills it at Dallas but as far as I can tell, he hasn't established himself as "the" kicker for Dallas yet - Article below. Is there anything more recent which says otherwise?

A Look At Kicker Options Heading Into The Draft _ Apr 7, 2022 - dallascowboys.com/news 

Spoiler

FRISCO, Texas – April is officially here, and the entire NFL is closing in on a list of their potential selections when Thursday the 28th finally arrives. For the Dallas Cowboys, there are plenty of needs on the table. Offensive line and wide receiver are both at the top of the list, with linebackers and defensive line not too far behind.

However, with under a month until the picks are made, there is one position group on the roster that sits completely unaddressed this offseason:

Kicker.

Greg Zuerlein was released in March after his second season with the Cowboys and his 10th season working with Cowboys special teams coordinator John Fassel. The veteran connected on 63-of-73 attempts over the last two seasons and missed a total of nine extra points over that span.

Cowboys chief operating officer Stephen Jones told reporters last month that the club will look to address kicker after parting ways with Zuerlein. The question now becomes, where does Zuerlein's replacement come from?

Dallas did preface the move with the signing of former SMU and University of Texas kicker Chris Naggar to the Reserve/Future list in February. Though Naggar remains on the roster, he only has one career field goal make in his NFL career and doesn't necessarily provide any confidence to the kicking situation in 2022.

The Cowboys could look to free agency to sign a veteran before training camp. The next option, and probably the most popular, is finding talent in the upcoming NFL draft class.

With the recent success of rookie Evan McPherson in Cincinnati, Harrison Butker in Kansas City, and Super Bowl winner Matt Gay in Los Angeles, kickers taken in the last five drafts have had instant success in the league.

Luckily for the Cowboys, there is an impressive wave of talent in this year's class to choose from.

Cade York from LSU headlines the list after gaining a reputation of one of the more clutch kickers in college football last season. The junior connected on 15-of-18 attempts in 2021 and made a name for himself with a 57-yard field goal in the fog against Florida in 2020. He has hit on a kick from over 52 yards out in all three of his collegiate seasons.

Next on the list would probably be Texas product Cameron Dicker, otherwise known as 'Dicker the Kicker' from the Longhorn faithful. With an 86.7% conversion rate and only one missed extra point, he seems like a great fit for the next level. And if his impressive power wasn't enough to impress with multiple 50-yard boots, his versatility will. He acquired the punting duties in 2021 as well and was first-team All-Big 12 in doing so.

Other names that could be on the Dallas radar are fellow Big 12 kickers Andrew Mevis from Iowa State and Gabe Brkic from Oklahoma. Mevis was a Senior Bowl invite and had a 20-of-23 season while Brkic had some accuracy concerns (76.9%) but has the leg strength enough impress NFL teams across the league.

Nick Sciba from Wake Forest, Texas Tech's Jonathan Garibay, Caleb Shudak from Iowa, and Parker White out of South Carolina will all have a shot at making an NFL camp roster as well.

At the moment, there's nothing to suggest that Dallas has held formal meetings any of the names listed. However, the possibility of informal meetings at the combine or throughout the draft process is certainly there.

As unpredictable as draft weekend can become, Dallas will have to be ready for anything, including finding a new kicker either through free agency or in the actual draft.

And it looks like there are plenty of intriguing options for them to explore.

Edited by sith_horn

I was down for Family Weekend , so we took in Texas-Baylor baseball on the 22nd (total ass kicking that I loved, have I ever mentioned my hatred for all things Baylor?) and the "Spring Game". Also, got to take in a staggering amount of pollen.

Vertigo nailed down most of the points, but I'd like to add one more. Maalik Murphy didn't play, but was throwing the ball in warm ups a bit. He looks like an absolute freak of nature, looked like he's a full 6 inches taller that the other 2 QB's (I think they list him as 6'5" and Ewers as 6'2"). The thing that bugged me was him throwing it with so much zip the WR's weren't catching them. Looked a little Garret Gilbert esque. Of course it was only drills, but I hope he is capable of putting more touch/taking something off. I know everyone is focused on Ewers/Card, but I'm pretty excited about Murphy too.

Edited by 927 E. 41st
  • Hook 'Em 4

I watched the game. It wasn't great. I just couldn't get into it. Maybe because the players showed about as much enthusiasm as my wife giving me a bj. Sawyer Goram-Welch was getting it done on the offensive line. What he was getting done, I'm not sure. But his mom was cheering loudly. The rest of the second string o-line was pretty meh. I saw a couple of big white guys: I think one was Parr. There was Max Merrill, and I think I saw Laramie lining up. I thought I saw Hank Scorpio at the game, too. But he was supposedly fighting for control of the TV with his roommate, Hakob, who was streaming Armenian soccer. I'll give y'all more of my thoughts later.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Blotto said:

Both guys made a few plays and looked good in spots, but Finkley took a couple of pancakes as well. He was primarily lining up against Jones, and Jones is a good run blocker when he gets his hands on you.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, KeysPhoneWallet said:

Gotta go with Quinn now to give him every rep and max coaching. He has the arm talent and the mentality. He looks calm and naturally accurate. I think him being calm in the pocket is probably the biggest differentiator between him and card.

This.

• Hook 'Em 1