NBA Playoff Pool

BigOrange1

$25 per entry, winner take all.

1st round = 10 points/series, 2nd round = 20 points/series, 3rd round = 30 points/series, finals = 40 points.  5 point bonus per series for getting the number of games correctly (in rounds 2-4 you must have the matchup correct in order to get the bonus).

the play in tournament kind of messes with the time we have to do this, but we now know 6 of the 8 matchups.  you can just post your picks in this thread before tip off of the first game on saturday afternoon.

playoff bracket:

East

1. miami vs 8. cleveland/atlanta/charlotte

2. boston vs. 7. brooklyn

3. milwaukee vs. 6. chicago

4. philadelphia vs. 5. toronto

West

1. phoenix vs. 8. clippers/new orleans/san antonio

2. memphis vs. 7. minnesota

3. golden state vs. 6. denver

4. dallas vs. 5. utah

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, BigOrange1 said:

you and me both.  feels like these games tonight should have been played last night.

Not only are you unsure of opponent - you have stuff like the Capela injury that moves the needle. I mean with a healthy Clint I could be talked into ATL in 7 but now it feels more like MIA in 6. 

nba playoffs 

WEST:

phoenix in 4

utah in 6

golden state in 7

memphis in 5

phoenix in 6

golden state in 6

phoenix in 7

EAST:

miami in 5

toronto in 6

milwaukee in 5

boston in 6

miami in 6

milwaukee in 6

milwaukee in 6

FINALS:

milwaukee in 6

Edited by shadow_operative

let's go!

phoenix over new orleans in 4

utah over dallas in 6

golden state over denver in 6

memphis over minnesota in 5

miami over atlanta in 6

philly over toronto in 7

milwaukee over chicago in 4

brooklyn over boston in 7

phoenix over utah in 5

golden state over memphis in 7

philly over miami in 7

milwaukee over brooklyn in 6

phoenix over golden state in 7

milwaukee over philly in 6

phoenix over milwaukee in 7

Not positive I can get my son's picks in. He agreed to do it yesterday but obv getting him to sit down and make his picks before bedtime was not something he was interested in. He's got an appointment this morning and by the time he gets back it might be too late but I will give it a shot. Here are mine:

52008433614_654bcf8a82_c.jpg

Borrowing a template, for $25 I'll give it a try. This is going to be a fun playoffs, lots of intriguing matchups and some younger teams I want to see go far.

Miami 5

Philly 6

Boston 6

Mil 6

Phoenix 4

Utah 6

Memphis 4

Golden St 5

Philly 6

Mil 6

Phoenix 5

Memphis 6

Mil 6

Phoenix 6

Phoenix 6

Wow so everyone has Suns or Bucks winning. Everyone has Suns in Finals. Only two DON'T have a Suns/Bucks rematch - and both have Suns over Philly. 

For as stacked as this playoff field is, it is kind of funny that we all pretty much think it's coming down to the same 2/3 squads. 

35 minutes ago, Baboontyme said:

Wow so everyone has Suns or Bucks winning. Everyone has Suns in Finals. Only two DON'T have a Suns/Bucks rematch - and both have Suns over Philly. 

For as stacked as this playoff field is, it is kind of funny that we all pretty much think it's coming down to the same 2/3 squads. 

7 game series rarely allow good teams to lose, so it's very uncommon for anything besides a 1-3 seed to win an NBA Championship.  Fucking up once or twice in a series happens, fucking up 4 out of 7 is very rare, and it's generally due to injury. You don't see many Cinderella stories in the NBA for that reason. 

It's one of the things that makes the NBA playoffs generally a less interesting sport than say NFL or Soccer, because there is rarely a sudden death component. The NCAA March Madness tournament alone brings in more revenue than the entire NBA playoffs, because every game matters AND it's "win or go home." People in general love to see those games, but the NBA equivalent is Game 7, which rarely happens. The NY Giants would likely have 0 Super Bowl rings if they had a best of 3 to advance in the playoffs, but a single elimination style playoff gave them an opportunity to get hot and win 4 in a row and beat the undefeated Patriots.  

Maybe the NBA would be more entertaining with 5 game series instead of 7. I don't know, but it warrants some discussion when the same teams make it look easy to win a few years in a row, while other sports seem to have a lot more parity.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...

75 points for me in round 1.  My one loss (nets) I had losing in this next round to Milwaukee anyway.  If you would have just gone by chalk you'd be 8-0 right now if you declined to pick a single upset.  

NBA playoffs is pretty exciting on one hand but really boring on another- the better team just almost always wins a 7 game series (absent injuries of course).  Good on Minnesota and New Orleans for making it exciting.  East was a complete snoozefest other than the 1 brief moment where it looked like the 76ers were capable of the greatest choke in NBA history. 

(I know you people still have Minny alive in the playoffs, that last message was written from 72 hours in the future). 

Edited by Wulaw Horn

Went through all of them and 80 should be the round high for round 1 assuming MEM wins. No one picked every series correct (whether or not Memphis wins) and I don't think anyone took Minny. I don't think anyone got more than 2 game #s correct or maybe there was one that did and picked 2 series wrong. 

So many of the picks are the same - think the only way this is settled before the Finals is if MIL and PHO both dip out. 

(My main fuck up in round 1 was underestimating how much of an embarrassment this Jazz team was)

Edited by ztejas

Quick R1 tally. Correct me if I'm wrong on any of these (or if I missed anyone):

ztejas - 80

RexWilson - 80

DutchRudder - 80

HornOnTheBayou - 80

Wulaw - 75

Baboontyme - 70

Derka - 70

Baboontyme Jr. - 65

BigOrange - 60

Edited by ztejas

On 4/30/2022 at 12:30 AM, ztejas said:

Quick R1 tally. Correct me if I'm wrong on any of these (or if I missed anyone):

ztejas - 80

RexWilson - 80

DutchRudder - 80

HornOnTheBayou - 80

Wulaw - 75

Baboontyme - 70

Derka - 70

Baboontyme Jr. - 65

BigOrange - 60

I have those same numbers, except:

Rex at 70
Baboon at 60
DutchRudder at 85

8 hours ago, HornOnTheBayou said:

I have those same numbers, except:

Rex at 70
Baboon at 60
DutchRudder at 85

Yep all those check out. So it's:

DutchRudder - 85

ztejas - 80

HornOnTheBayou - 80

Wulaw - 75

RexWilson - 70

Derka - 70

Baboontyme Jr. - 65

Baboontyme - 60

BigOrange - 60

On 5/1/2022 at 4:15 PM, ztejas said:

Yep all those check out. So it's:

DutchRudder - 85

ztejas - 80

HornOnTheBayou - 80

Wulaw - 75

RexWilson - 70

Derka - 70

Baboontyme Jr. - 65

Baboontyme - 60

BigOrange - 60

i have doubt and triple checked and this appears to be correct.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/14/2022 at 6:43 AM, HornOnTheBayou said:

Since we all picked Milwaukee and Phoenix to win the East and West respectively, this whole thing could be over on Sunday if they both lose.

If this happens - yes it would be over - and I believe you and I would split the pot. 

We are tied for 2nd - Dutchrudder would receive 0 points for the 2nd round - and you got the games Miami won in correct for +5 while I got the games GS won in correct for +5. 

If Boston wins and Phoenix wins - I think it comes down to the # of games in the WCF between me and you. You have Suns in 6 and I have Suns in 7. Either of those outcomes would determine the winner. Any other outcome and we split. 

If Milwaukee wins it becomes fairly wide open again as a MIL Finals win could put someone else over the top. 

If Milwaukee wins and Phoenix loses all hell breaks loose and it likely goes to the Finals as well. 

@HornOnTheBayou don't want you to miss this in case you want to adjust rooting interests today 

Edited by ztejas

27 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Can someone confirm that me and HOTB will split if Dallas wins? Which is looking extremely likely now. I think I have that right. 

Yep, if Dallas wins you and I are tied for the lead. @BigOrange1, there's not a separate tiebreaker, right?

@ztejas, I'm cool with starting a clean slate (if BO is OK with it) and picking the rest of the winners or we can just split the pot. Your call.

1 minute ago, HornOnTheBayou said:

Yep, if Dallas wins you and I are tied for the lead. @BigOrange1, there's not a separate tiebreaker, right?

@ztejas, I'm cool with starting a clean slate (if BO is OK with it) and picking the rest of the winners or we can just split the pot. Your call.

I was thinking about this too. I might just want the cash. 

What is the pot anyway? Not a lot, right? Like $225, $250?

1 hour ago, HornOnTheBayou said:

Splitting it sounds good.

If anyone else wants to start a new pool for the conference finals and finals, I'd be down with that. Maybe we could pick the winners of the three series and then predict the total number of games for the three series.

Yeah same format I'd be down. Not sure how many entries we'd get. We didn't get that many for this shindig. 

Also be down to just get my entry fee back and go h2h on the last four. I think we should go blind entry if we do that though. To where you can't see what the other guy went before you submit yours. 

Edited by ztejas