The Twitter Debate

Neonmoon

37 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

I don't know if this goes here, but it's a good example of the information war, which Twitter certainly is at the forefront. 

A friend recently said "Biden is making inflation worse by printing money, expanding Medicaid to cover food and furniture." Right off the bat, my Fox News detectors went up. I was like, there is no way that is true. 

So I go to the google machine and find the NY Post Article Medicaid Payments for housing, food, and even furniture 

This article was listed as an opinion piece, but the average joe doesn't even know what that means. In it, it linked as evidence, another fear mongering article from the NY Post stating Biden's Medicaid plans will send the program completely off the rails, but at least in the second article, they finally linked the actual CMS website announcement

HHS approved section 1115 waiver for two states (Massachusetts & Oregon) 

So scientists and doctors are testing a program where certain beneficiaries will get medically tailored meals and clinically tailored housing supports to TEST if these actions improve medical outcomes, which is the goal of medicine, to improve medical outcomes. 

Now, if a "Newspaper" is saying Biden is going to ruin American because of XYZ. 

Next comes Twitter, where reading articles and digging into facts are funneled down to 100 character headlines as fact. NY Post opinion article gets circulated as fact, and our entire information ecosystem has become reduced to shitposting on the internet. 

Yay America. 

lol and you can't mention that anywhere else on surly otherwise you'll be a CR TROLL!!!one!!

• Hook 'Em 2

https://www.vice.com/en/article/m7gkw8/twitter-recommends-ye-as-top-follow-on-the-jews-as-company-does-mass-layoffs

“The Jews” is trending on Twitter, and its algorithm has selected Ye as a “Top” person to follow while Elon Musk fires roughly half of the company’s staff, including many of its policy experts and content moderators. 

Ye, formerly known as Kanye West, recently had his Twitter access limited after saying he would go “death con 3” on “JEWISH PEOPLE,” and has been dropped by the vast majority of his business partners after repeatedly making blatantly antisemitic comments over the last few weeks. The freeze on Ye's account has since been lifted.

"#IStandWithKyrie" is also trending, a reference to Brooklyn Nets star Kyrie Irving, who recently recommended that people watch an antisemitic documentary and was suspended for five games after declining to apologize and evasively answering a question on whether he holds "anti-semitic beliefs."

Twitter's content moderation has always been something of a disaster, and harmful things end up trending all the time. Twitter's content moderation has always relied more heavily on algorithms than competitors like Facebook do. In any case, Musk has promised to protect the values of "freedom of speech"—with the company now running with thousands fewer employees after mass layoffs. This may well be a window into what that looks like. 

In an email sent Thursday to all Twitter staff, the company said it would be notifying all employees about whether they would be laid off by 9 a.m. PST on Friday via email. All employees are receiving an email with the subject line “Your Role at Twitter.” If they are keeping their job, the email will go to their @twitter.com email address; if they’re being laid off, it will go to their personal email address. 

On 11/3/2022 at 10:45 AM, Neonmoon said:

I don't know if this goes here, but it's a good example of the information war, which Twitter certainly is at the forefront. 

A friend recently said "Biden is making inflation worse by printing money, expanding Medicaid to cover food and furniture." Right off the bat, my Fox News detectors went up. I was like, there is no way that is true. 

So I go to the google machine and find the NY Post Article Medicaid Payments for housing, food, and even furniture 

This article was listed as an opinion piece, but the average joe doesn't even know what that means. In it, it linked as evidence, another fear mongering article from the NY Post stating Biden's Medicaid plans will send the program completely off the rails, but at least in the second article, they finally linked the actual CMS website announcement

HHS approved section 1115 waiver for two states (Massachusetts & Oregon) 

So scientists and doctors are testing a program where certain beneficiaries will get medically tailored meals and clinically tailored housing supports to TEST if these actions improve medical outcomes, which is the goal of medicine, to improve medical outcomes. 

Now, if a "Newspaper" is saying Biden is going to ruin American because of XYZ. 

Next comes Twitter, where reading articles and digging into facts are funneled down to 100 character headlines as fact. NY Post opinion article gets circulated as fact, and our entire information ecosystem has become reduced to shitposting on the internet. 

Yay America. 

It definitely goes here and should actually be blasted out to every citizen in this country to show that 5 minutes of actual critical thinking can expose these lying fucks for what they are.

5 minutes ago, immamac said:

Easier to service fewer customers. Genius. 

Actually not a terrible business model if, and only if, those fewer customers are all high end.  CNBC has half the ratings Fox Business.  Gareden & Gun has half the distro of People Magazine.  Guess who charges more?

Twitter HQ:

“Hey Tom, I need you to step into my office.”

“What can I do for you Mr Musk?”

“I need you to delete all of Amber Heard’s content and then send her a message saying ‘f u biactch!’l

“Are you sure sir?”

“Are you sure you want your job Tom? Now get out of here loser!”

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:
There once was a website called twitter,
Over time it became very bitter.
From playful to brusque,
I blame it on Musk,
For drowning the bird in the shitter!

Not exactly Iambic pentameter, but I’ll allow it.

1 hour ago, Celery Man said:

I like the idea that they are half assed targeting their ads for non blue check people.

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

I like that he thinks that spammers won’t pay the eight bucks a month and then use those accounts for bots. He’s literally giving them legitimacy. 

Above taken from DT.

My concern, which you may share, is that there are enough malicious domestic and foreign entities/agents who will have funds provided to them to create copycat/similar accounts with blue checks of political figures, officials, and other pundits. Flooding the sphere with these accounts tweeting all sorts of misinformation/crazy talk/Veritas edited videos creates a situation where the subject and/or topic of this campaign ends up spending an inordinate amount of time and energy dealing with it.

I believe Musk knows this and doesn't mind giving them legitimacy. It's good for what he's trying to accomplish long term.

3. It’s great. Just because Elon lost his damn mind doesn’t mean they aren’t great cars. 

I watched an interview with him from the Tesla early days and he was making really good points on energy independence and sustainability. That person is gone. I don’t know if it was drugs, or pussy or some kind of stroke, but he isn’t the same guy.
  • Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

3. It’s great. Just because Elon lost his damn mind doesn’t mean they aren’t great cars. 

It is true that some who can afford to drive Teslas will opt for comparable EVs because Musk has become so loathsome.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Satchel said:

It is true that some who can afford to drive Teslas will opt for comparable EVs because Musk has become so loathsome.

And that's fine. 

Also, not to derail the thread, but Teslas are not some luxury item anymore than most cars/trucks/SUVs these days.  

Edited by Biff Tannen
  • Hook 'Em 1

30 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

For sure.  I think Ford is going to be the top dog in the EV wars when all is said and done.

Nevermind that their stock is horrendously inflated. Completely insane that at its peak, it was worth more than ford, GMC, and Toyota combined. Plus a couple more I'm pretty sure. 

I still think the TWTR move was a play to liquidate TSLA while it was still inflated without tanking it. Musky's business plan just got too cute for his own good

Edited by Captainant

40 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

He actually does need to watch out a bit. The legacy carmakers are gaining ground on Tesla and have surpassed him in some ways. 

Seems like EVERY major car maker in the world is either seriously launching or teasing with EVs coming out in the next 12 months.  Tesla won't be some exotic thing anymore, just another one of one of another  . . .

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1