NBA Playoffs 2022

Vic Mackey

6 minutes ago, Vegas64 said:

Wow this sixers/heat game sucks to watch. I hope this isn't a harbinger for Mavs/Suns.

This has been a meh playoffs lately. Not a lot of lead changes or comebacks or particularly surprising results. 

1 minute ago, Brothahorn said:

Are we even going to get a 7 game series this year?

I think for sure one of these 3 goes to 7 (Memphis is done) but we'll see.

But that's not really what I'm talking about. I'm referring to what I've been watching on a game by game basis which hasn't been all that captivating. I mean Grizz/Warriors last night was the most predictable shit ever down the stretch. I feel like I keep waiting for crazy stuff to happen and then the game in question just sort of fizzles out.

I mean - when was the last game where a team came back from down 10? Or hit a game winner? Or REALLY flipped a narrative on it's head? The best we've seen is Chris Paul playing like shit for a couple of games in a row. 

But hey, if it results in an awesome Finals I'm here for it. 

4 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Fuckin' PJ, man. Dude just keeps on hoopin'.

Wasn't surprised that he found his way back to the league after the initial washout, but never thought he'd still be playing at 37. Great to see hard work and a sharp mind rewarded.

PJ earned my respect when he was fucking up in school and stayed here and fixed it as opposed transferring out to some school that didn’t care.

8 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Fuckin' PJ, man. Dude just keeps on hoopin'.

Wasn't surprised that he found his way back to the league after the initial washout, but never thought he'd still be playing at 37. Great to see hard work and a sharp mind rewarded.

1 minute ago, conVINCEd said:

PJ earned my respect when he was fucking up in school and stayed here and fixed it as opposed transferring out to some school that didn’t care.

Dude's an awesome ambassador for Texas. He's been pretty shit for this playoffs and season as a whole but hit a 3 early on today and I just had to remind myself that he won an NBA championship last year and is still working his butt off to contribute what he can to a contending team. 

Not a great or even good NBA player anymore by a long shot - but still a good locker room guy and good presence on any team that has aspirations. 

Drink everytime Reggie knows what he's talking about. Have a nice Mormon evening. 

That's a clear flagrant 1 you buffoon. 

Oh wow - what a surprise.

He threw his fucking shoulder into him. 

Edited by ztejas

6 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

The Suns are going hard in the paint. Brunson is the only guy who can make a shot for the Mavs right now. 

Dallas made this interesting early but after game 2 I just couldn't see Dallas winning one in this building. 

Phoenix has HC all the way through and I think that's going to be tough for anyone to break. 

2 hours ago, ztejas said:

I honestly wouldn't max Ayton or give him 30+. He fades way too often for someone his size. 

Look at his BPM vs. Javale's for this playoffs...

Screenshot_20220510-220437-980.png.7a47d650687f36cc42fc96d1954e5d06.png

I've had the opposite reaction to watching him in the playoffs. He's much more polished and consistent offensively than I thought. Yeah, he doesn't play bully ball but he's very skilled. I think you highlighted the limited utility of BPM as a metric for comparing players.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Llogg said:

I think you highlighted the limited utility of BPM as a metric for comparing players.

I think you don't like statistics when they don't support your narrative and do like them when vice versa. 

But yeah - Ayton looks sick when Phoenix is up double digits. 

Edited by ztejas

I like Ayton, but I don't love him. He's been very good in the playoffs, cleaning up boards, getting outbacks and seems good at short 2s. He's agile enough to not be a liability on perimeter defense, which will be highlighted against Golden State in the next round. I think 25m per year is fair for him, but the market will likely drive up his price to the rookie max extension. 

Few random thoughts:

They really have to start punishing guys for flopping.   The shit has gotten way out of hand.   Fuckers flailing and falling all over the floor like they got shot with the slightest touch.

Luka is good but that shit cannot be fun to play with.   Way too many possessions where he has the ball 10-15 secs.   Many of those where no one else touches the ball and he throws up a 25 ft shot with no effort at all to actually to get by his man.    He almost never moves from the opposite hash mark on possessions when he doesnt have the ball.   Then all everyone talks about is him not having "help".   

I REALLY fucking hope this shit about Embiid basically pouting because he didnt win MVP is just talk.   I really dont like the guy but having a cracked face and a thumb that needs surgery I'm actually willing to understand him not playing terribly well.   I don't think he is "that guy" but shit he is not close to 100% and still out there playing.   But if this pouting shit is true then he is softest fucker out there.

The Bucks are doing the same shit that almost got them bounced last yr.   No real semblance of offense, just hoping that Giannis can make a play for himself or someone else isn't truly a winning philosophy.   They should be beating the C's even without Middleton.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, ztejas said:

I think you don't like statistics when they don't support your narrative and do like them when vice versa. 

But yeah - Ayton looks sick when Phoenix is up double digits. 

Meh, the limitations of BPM are pretty widely accepted and the difference you highlight is not actually that significant.

And Ayton has looked good throughout the playoffs. Not dominant, centerpiece to a title team good, but skilled big man who contributes above replacement level on  both ends of the floor good. How that translates to dollars in the off-season I don't know, but he certainly hasn't cost himself any money in the playoffs.

Edited by Llogg
fucking abover? tf
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Llogg said:

Meh, the limitations of BPM are pretty widely accepted and the difference you highlight is not actually that significant.

And Ayton has looked good throughout the playoffs. Not dominant, centerpiece to a title team good, but skilled big man who contributes abover replacement level on  both ends of the floor good. How that translates to dollars in the off-season I don't know, but he certainly hasn't cost himself any money in the playoffs.

Yep. There are precious few big men that never become unplayable in these type of playoff situations. He’s one of them. That’s pretty valuable if you want to win a title. 

5 hours ago, Dutchrudder said:

I like Ayton, but I don't love him. He's been very good in the playoffs, cleaning up boards, getting outbacks and seems good at short 2s. He's agile enough to not be a liability on perimeter defense, which will be highlighted against Golden State in the next round. I think 25m per year is fair for him, but the market will likely drive up his price to the rookie max extension. 

I like Ayton just from the simple fact that if Dallas had him, they'd win it all. He's a good big man.

10 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

what are we talking about with Ayton here? do y'all like him as the second best player on a title winning team? third best? he's a good, versatile big man, but i'm not in love with him as a guy i'm building around. he's the third best player on a title winning team, no more. 

I agree with you. I was taking issue with the notion that his play in the playoffs has reduced his appeal. Any team with an established star wing/guard will be instantly better by adding Ayton. Assuming the only thing that matters is winning, cost/tax be damned:

The Clippers should max him out and hope they can close the deal on the rapidly closing Kawhi - PG window.

The Mavs should max him out and unlock the next level for Luka.

The Warriors would be an embarrassment of riches with him on the roster.

The Nuggets, meh. Sixers, Heat, meh.

Celtics should max him out and contend for titles for the next 3-5 years.

The Bucks shouldn't max him out but he'd be a significant upgrade and ensure they keep chasing titles for the next 3-5 years. If they could get him for $20-25/yr and trade an aging Lopez for parts they should do it.

1 hour ago, shadow_operative said:

what are we talking about with Ayton here? do y'all like him as the second best player on a title winning team? third best? he's a good, versatile big man, but i'm not in love with him as a guy i'm building around. he's the third best player on a title winning team, no more. 

3rd/4th best, depending on the opponent/matchup.