NBA Playoffs 2022

Vic Mackey

27 minutes ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

Turns out GS would have won without KD

18 minutes ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

Warriors won the chip. KD was overrated sadly. They are just fine without him. 

2 minutes ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

Said at the time GS didn't need KD and it's been proven. Doing great without him in Golden State

Dude, no one is taking the bait. We can go an entire series without having the KD discussion for the millionth time.

Edited by aggie08

On 5/16/2022 at 1:18 PM, aggie08 said:

If Golden State is going to win this series, in two weeks time, we'll all be saying, "What a great, underappreciated series by Andrew Wiggins." Which obviously makes me nervous as hell as Warriors fan. But he's their only perimeter defender who's capable of even making Luka work a little to get his.

That'll do, pig. That'll do.

These Mavs remind me quite a bit of the 03-10 Cavs.

You have one superstar and then a bunch of flawed jags who are pure need to be set up guys who can only contribute if they are hitting wide open jumpers.

And they got rattled.  The moment is too big for them.

Just not seeing an easy way forward for Dallas to assembling a title worthy team that can best GS or Memphis in the near future.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Message Board User said:

You have one superstar and then a bunch of flawed jags who are pure need to be set up guys who can only contribute if they are hitting wide open jumpers.

Just not seeing an easy way forward for Dallas to assembling a title worthy team that can best GS or Memphis in the near future.

Are you saying Brunson is Matthew Villanueva?

• Like 1

Yeah, Brunson is good, but not a #2 on a championship team. He's more of a third/fourth best player on a great team.  He's had some impressive games, but I think someone is going to overspend to get him this offseason, since he's an UFA. 

I think Dallas will need to spend a lot to keep him, but with their other salary on the books, that's going to sting for a 2nd round exit type of team.  Bertans and Tim Hardaway Jr are so expensive, I don't know what they can do with them. But they were able to turn Porzingis and his terrible contract into Dinwiddie and Bertans this season, so maybe they can work something out. This team really needs to trade 3 quarters 2 dimes and a nickel for a dollar type player, but there is no easy way to do that. 

22 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

Yeah, Brunson is good, but not a #2 on a championship team. He's more of a third/fourth best player on a great team.  He's had some impressive games, but I think someone is going to overspend to get him this offseason, since he's an UFA. 

I think Dallas will need to spend a lot to keep him, but with their other salary on the books, that's going to sting for a 2nd round exit type of team.  Bertans and Tim Hardaway Jr are so expensive, I don't know what they can do with them. But they were able to turn Porzingis and his terrible contract into Dinwiddie and Bertans this season, so maybe they can work something out. This team really needs to trade 3 quarters 2 dimes and a nickel for a dollar type player, but there is no easy way to do that. 

Dallas is in a weird place. I wonder how much fart sniffing they are going to do this off season for making the WCF and beating Phoenix vs. taking a realistic look at that roster and where they actually fall in the pecking order in the West. Where are they in comparison to a healthy Clippers, Lakers and Nuggets (if there is such a thing as any of those teams truly being healthy), along with teams on the rise like New Orleans and Minnesota? Regardless of how hot they were against Phoenix, I still think the Suns, Griz and Warriors are ahead of them. If Monty Williams could make at least one defensive adjustment during a 7 game series, I think they're still playing. The Mavs best bet with Brunson would be some sort of sign and trade and if they could acquire an even marginal rim running big it would be huge for them.

Utahs about to be blown up, and they beat Phoenix so they have some clout.

Honestly as a wolves fan on this site, Dallas’ roster scared me the least outside of San Antonio’s out of the playoff and play in teams.

Lukas gonna get his. But banking on their scrubs to have bad games is sure fire Vs the other teams that have better role players but not as good of a super star, but have stars.

I don’t really like Denver’s make up either. Murray will be back, but they have so much tied in to MPJ that you can’t count on him ever being healthy.

Phoenix will fall back with Paul aging and who knows what’ll happen with ayton.

Dallas will probably be where they are next year if they overpay Brunson. Luka will get the lions load, again and probably get injured

I wouldn’t be shocked if they got in Utah’s ear about maybe Conley and gobert for a PG13/Westbrook haul of picks and Brunson/fillers

4 hours ago, Message Board User said:

I was thinking the same thing.  It's why building great teams is so hard.  If you're a bad team and somehow end up with a top 5 player, then you're in the playoffs but not good enough to win but not bad enough to get draft pieces.  FA signings are generally overrated, you got trades but you're giving something up, and then you have draft and develop but you're dealing with mid round draft picks at best.  

Props to GS for keeping it at this high level.  I suspected last year that had they been healthy, they would have run both Phoenix or MIL out of the building and that looks accurate now.

8 hours ago, Message Board User said:

I agree with this. During that time frame, Cavs went to 2 ECF and 1 Finals appearance. That is about where Dallas would be headed with this roster. I do not buy into that this team is the next dynasty. This roster is too inconsistent. They for one need a big man. Powell is fucking garbage and he can't even get minutes because he is so bad. I think Brunson is good but for one, him and Luka just don't work together. They don't play off each other. It's just each player taking turns doing iso ball. And Luka refuses to play in a movement/motion offense. It's nothing but iso ball. He does that offense overseas so not sure why he does not buy into it here.

Rememner, Clippers and Nuggets were both injured. Phoenix is not going anywhere. Memphis and GSW will be back. Then you have up and comers like Minnesota and NO who can build on their seasons. This notion that some fans thinks it's Luka's time to take over the West is extremely premature. And might never happen. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Not great when the 3-0 series is the more competitive one.

And that series is hardly competitive at that.

Reminds me of the Dallas/Phoenix series. It went 7 but I think every game was a blowout. Those series are not fun for any fan that does not have a vested interest in either team.

Edited by Vic Mackey

11 hours ago, Braff Zacklin said:

/Capt Obvious

Don't think either of these teams will be able to do much against Golden State.

/Capt Obvious

I don't know about that. Both Miami and Boston play defense at a much higher level than Dallas and both are more versatile on offense. And let's face it, the Warriors haven't been truly challenged in this playoffs. They cruised past a beat up Denver team that had Jokic and nothing else. They got through an inexperienced Memphis team missing its best player. And then they faced another one man band in the conference finals. 

Notwithstanding injuries to Jimmy Butler and Marcus Smart, I think both teams could be problems. Both of those teams can switch everything on defense and the Warriors are prone to shooting themselves in the foot with turnovers. I think Boston is a little more dangerous because I'm not sure that the W's have somebody to guard Tatum. Miami plays with a toughness that is difficult to overcome. Both should be more difficult tests than anything they've played so far.

Don't get me wrong, the W's will have home court advantage against either and should be the prohibitive favorite, but I think either will make a competitive series. Or maybe I'm just wishcasting because this has been the most dreadfully dull, gawd awful, non-competitive NBA playoffs I can ever remember. Please just give me any game that's close in the last two minutes and has any semblance of pressure and drama.

45 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

I don't know about that. Both Miami and Boston play defense at a much higher level than Dallas and both are more versatile on offense. And let's face it, the Warriors haven't been truly challenged in this playoffs. They cruised past a beat up Denver team that had Jokic and nothing else. They got through an inexperienced Memphis team missing its best player. And then they faced another one man band in the conference finals. 

Notwithstanding injuries to Jimmy Butler and Marcus Smart, I think both teams could be problems. Both of those teams can switch everything on defense and the Warriors are prone to shooting themselves in the foot with turnovers. I think Boston is a little more dangerous because I'm not sure that the W's have somebody to guard Tatum. Miami plays with a toughness that is difficult to overcome. Both should be more difficult tests than anything they've played so far.

Don't get me wrong, the W's will have home court advantage against either and should be the prohibitive favorite, but I think either will make a competitive series. Or maybe I'm just wishcasting because this has been the most dreadfully dull, gawd awful, non-competitive NBA playoffs I can ever remember. Please just give me any game that's close in the last two minutes and has any semblance of pressure and drama.

Completely agree with this, particularly if Boston gets through. GS can be great, but they've also been relatively fortuitous in these playoffs, playing a weak Denver team, closing out Memphis without Ja, and playing a very flawed Dallas team. If Boston makes it through Miami, I would give them the edge, although I would prefer to see GS win.

Not sure how you could give Boston any kind of edge over GS when they flopped on game 3 when butler missed half of the game. And odds are they get blown out game 5 because trends.

GS is healthy and a machine. You’re gonna take brown/Tatum and smart over curry/Thompson and Poole? Let’s not overthink this one.

9 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Not sure how you could give Boston any kind of edge over GS when they flopped on game 3 when butler missed half of the game. And odds are they get blown out game 5 because trends.

GS is healthy and a machine. You’re gonna take brown/Tatum and smart over curry/Thompson and Poole? Let’s not overthink this one.

Agree, plus we have to win the East first. I think Boston wins, but GS is still a powerhouse. 

23 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

I'm not giving Boston (or Miami) an edge against GS. I'm just saying that either should be more competitive than any of the Warriors other series. And if you want to go the route of Boston flopping when Butler was out, Golden State was down 55 in Memphis without Ja and lost by 39. 

• Hook 'Em 1

These playoffs overall have been pretty fucking subpar. Even in series that went the distance like Dallas/Phoenix, every single game was a blowout. No real drama in the individual games or these classic moments. Seems round 1 had the best games and then it slowly got worse. This round has been terrible. Even in the tied series, every game seems to be a blowout. Hopefully we can get some actual good games to finish out these playoffs.

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

There's a lot more variance with the 3. I'm not sure how the NBA solves for that or maybe its just an unlucky year from the entertainment perspective but definitely a down year.

It does vary from year to year on the entertainment value we get in the playoffs. Some years are great, have a lot of drama and signature moments. This year does not, especially as the playoffs progress. The best game I can remember was the Boston/Nets game in the 1st round that was back and forth and Tatum hit the last second layup. 

15 pt lead. GS losing tonight still have probably a 90% chance of winning the series.

If they win tonight they have 10 days between now and NBA finals game 1. Chess match? I know they’re not gonna purposely throw a game but losing wouldn’t be the worst thing going forward barring injuries in games that wouldn’t have happened if they won tonight

Both Miami and Boston play defense at a much higher level than Dallas and both are more versatile on offense.

Dallas had one of the best defenses in the league in both the regular and now postseason. Our interior defense hinges on help instead of an anchor but it's effective. Our perimeter defense is better than Miami or Boston's. I think we match up better against GS and their motion than either of those two teams.

8 hours ago, gsoda3 said:

Dallas had one of the best defenses in the league in both the regular and now postseason. Our interior defense hinges on help instead of an anchor but it's effective. Our perimeter defense is better than Miami or Boston's. I think we match up better against GS and their motion than either of those two teams.

Dallas plays very good team defense. You have to give Kidd a ton of credit for it. I thought he was a terrible hire based on what he did in New Jersey and Milwaukee, but he has definitely got them playing defense at a level way beyond Carlisle. I've been really impressed with how well they rotate and scramble. 

That said, teams still hunt and attack Luka and they don't have much rim protection. Smart and Brown are two of the league's elite perimeter defensive players. White is also one of the league's better defensive guards. Tatum and both Williams (especially Robert) are plus defenders and Horford has been incredible defensively. There is a reason they have the best fg% defense in the league. If Smart is healthy, then I think they match up better with the Warriors than maybe any other team in the league. 

Miami isn't as talented individually on d, but they are still elite. I think Bam should have been defensive player of the year. He's an absolute menace. 

Boston absolutely matches up well with Golden State. Not quite 2016 OKC length and athleticism, but in the ballpark. They've had the best defense and 2nd best offense since the New Year.

Even in years where Boston was barely making the playoffs, they've always given the Warriors trouble. Only team in the league to have a winning record against them in the Steve Kerr era.

They've easily had the higher ceiling of all three teams they've played so far. Without some truly WTF no shows and collapses, we'd be talking about a pretty dominant march through the East. If they can somehow limit those mental lapses, they can beat anyone.

(Cue Miami winning tonight by 30)