NBA Playoffs 2022

Vic Mackey

2 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

While this may be true, the core of this team was 3 years older this year, replaced him with Andrew Wiggins, and just won another title. This core now has 3 finals appearances and 2 titles without him. You can think whatever you want to think but that is not a media narrative. That is a fact. And it severely weakens his legacy as an all time great, since people will always be able to point to that. It’s obvious that Steph deferred to KD when KD was out there, but when he wasn’t, Steph went back to being the fucking assassin that he’s always been. 

Where is this coming from? Honest question. Are you a KD fan and insecure about his place in history? Are you a KD hater? I don't think any of these questions or narratives are accurate from where I sit on the outside. 

3 minutes ago, Baboontyme said:

Where is this coming from? Honest question. Are you a KD fan and insecure about his place in history? Are you a KD hater? I don't think any of these questions or narratives are accurate from where I sit on the outside. 

I’m a fan of KD the player. He might honestly be the single greatest offensive player the nba has ever seen, and he also happened to go to the university that I’ve cared about since I was a child.

I ALSO think joining the best team in the league when you were up 3-1 against them might be the single biggest bitch move in the history of the nba from a competitors standpoint. I do actually respect KD the Twitter head now, but this team never needed him. They needed a good two way player like Wiggins, but they never needed one of the all time great players added to their already dominant core. 

But to answer your question on “where is this coming from” I’m not sure where to start. What part of what I said is confusing to you and I’ll do my best to clarify. This core would be considered a dynasty with or without the presence of KD. The 3 finals trips and 2 championships without him all but cements that, ESPECIALLY now that they’ve done it when all members of their core are past their prime years. That in and of itself puts a big “yeah but” on KD’s legacy when it didn’t need to be there. Even KD knows that at this point. He’d still be a warrior if he didn’t know that 

7 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

I’m a fan of KD the player. He might honestly be the single greatest offensive player the nba has ever seen, and he also happened to go to the university that I’ve cared about since I was a child.

I ALSO think joining the best team in the league when you were up 3-1 against them might be the single biggest bitch move in the history of the nba from a competitors standpoint. I do actually respect KD the Twitter head now, but this team never needed him. They needed a good two way player like Wiggins, but they never needed one of the all time great players added to their already dominant core. 

But to answer your question on “where is this coming from” I’m not sure where to start. What part of what I said is confusing to you and I’ll do my best to clarify. This core would be considered a dynasty with or without the presence of KD. The 3 finals trips and 2 championships without him all but cements that, ESPECIALLY now that they’ve done it when all members of their core are past their prime years. That in and of itself puts a big “yeah but” on KD’s legacy when it didn’t need to be there. Even KD knows that at this point. He’d still be a warrior if he didn’t know that 

I understand that these are your opinions. Some of them are fairly strong. I respect them. However you state many of them as factual when they are not. They are good, strong-ass opinions. I don't think history will view things in the same light, but what do I know. My opinion as a non UT non anything other than basketball guy is that KD is on a fucking pedestal. 

Because I'm a petty asshole, I just want to point out that no less than a dozen pages on this thread have been dedicated to determining the overrated-ness of Draymond Green.

Even with Curry's brilliance, the Warriors scored 108, 107, 100, 107, 104, and 103 points in the Finals. In today's NBA, those are extremely beatable point totals. But the Celtics were held to 88, 97, 94, and 90 points in their losses. Absymal. No one anywhere would argue the that Dray is the heart, soul, and QB of their defense. He was every-fucking-where tonight. Defense. Wins. Championships.

Edited by aggie08
  • Hook 'Em 1

Yes the Big 3 are a year older, but people don’t talk enough about how good Jordan Poole is. That guy is a straight baller with championship swagger.  

Wiggins was also great. He is much better than Harrison Barnes ever was: scoring, defending and especially rebounding. Looney is also better than Andrew Bogut, especially on the defensive end.  

The Big 3 may have lost a step, but the team is deeper and more talented than the early GSW teams in my opinion. And they have elite young talent that isn’t even really seeing the floor yet.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, HookEm said:

Yes the Big 3 are a year older, but people don’t talk enough about how good Jordan Poole is. That guy is a straight baller with championship swagger.  

Wiggins was also great. He is much better than Harrison Barnes ever was: scoring, defending and especially rebounding. Looney is also better than Andrew Bogut, especially on the defensive end.  

The Big 3 may have lost a step, but the team is deeper and more talented than the early GSW teams in my opinion. And they have elite young talent that isn’t even really seeing the floor yet.

Idk, those 2015-2016 teams were awesome. Draymond and Klay were both so much better, and Iguadala was a beast. Then they had guys like Barbosa, Livingston and David Lee on the bench. Agree that Wiggins > Barnes

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, aggie08 said:

Boston was 3-12 with Steph Curry as the primary defender with 6 turnovers tonight. I'm the head of the "Steph is actually pretty solid defensively" fanclub, but holy shit, that's embarrassing.

Curry was lauded for his defense by his team, holding the Celtics to 0.78 points per play, 38% field goal shooting and 31% contested field goal percentage in the Finals, according to research by ESPN Stats & Information.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/34104919/golden-state-warriors-star-stephen-curry-named-nba-finals-mvp-1st-career

He always gave more effort on defense than he got credit for and was a solid/smart team defender making the correct rotations and fighting through screens, but was still a liability on the ball due to his size. His bulked up frame has alleviated that weakness as well.

Congratulations to the Warriors!  Tremendous accomplishment on so many levels.  Redemption for Andrew Wiggins, who wipes some of the stain of being a bust off his resume'.  Steph gets his first NBA finals MVP.  And this was truly a team accomplishment.  Kudos to the front office and Steve Kerr, they simply played their cards exactly right with this, but the bench was so good this run.  Reminded me a little of the first run, but so much more with guys like Poole, Otto Porter, Wiggins, and Looney really making the difference.  A really deep squad.  Folks always ask who was the last superstar to carry a team to a ship.  While I think it can be very much debated that Curry "carried" them, when you realize that Klay was simply a good player, nowhere near superstar level, this truly was a team ship run.

Think about in the playoffs, they only had one guy who played real minutes who had a PER over 20.  Only 2 guys who had a WS/48 over .151 and the 2nd was Looney.  Fantastic organizational accomplishment and in my mind, cements Steph as the best organizational/team leader in basketball since TD.  Time for download and analysis will come, but simply a crazy mad synergistic organizational accomplishment.  Crazy to think it can all be traced back to D'Angelo Russell being almost added as a throw in the KD trade.  The series of moves since and after was masterful by the front office.

• Like 1