Thor: Love and Thunder

Michael Knight

whole fam enjoyed it.  daughter (just turned 12) wanted to see it for her bday and it did not disappoint.  But we seem to watch Ragnarok once a week  on D+ we are all huge fanbois/girls.   Crowe was awesome as pudgy Zeus.  

But eff the people that brought a toddler into the movie and tried to quiet her down by playing another video on their phone with the volume up.  gtfo with that shit.  was quickly shut down, but damn...

• Hook 'Em 1

I’m a huge, huge fan of waititi and definitely laughed a lot, but just a wee bit too campy. The kid fight scene was just too much.

Also, the opening scenes seemed to have been rushed. One second I’m laughing at the goats, Thor turns around within the ship, his shoulders drop like he got shut off, and the immediate next scene he is outside giving a speech to Pratt. Terrible editing and bugged me way longer than it should have. 

Like others have said, B to B-. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Saw it. Enjoyed it. Wasn't bad. Definitely fun. 

After Ragnarok (favorite Thor) I knew what to expect with the humor in this one...but it was a little too much.  LOL often but they obviously lightened up the Thor world. 

Some parts felt rushed and like a spoof...Robin Hood Men in Tights like lol. 

Not a comic guy, so I'm not sure if anything was accurate with the ending duo. 

Still better than Strange 2. 

• Hook 'Em 1

22 hours ago, achooloco said:

I’m a huge, huge fan of waititi and definitely laughed a lot, but just a wee bit too campy. 

pretty much this.  the campiness was turned up so high, but then you'd get random almost horror movie stuff with the Bale character.  When Korg started telling the first tale of Thor and the Guardians, I kept waiting for some moment like Thor waking up and the camp being turned back down to reasonable levels. I found Ragnarok much more fun, personally. The goats were a highlight.  Dialogue quite often was really bad.   Even if it was bad on purpose or for the sake of camp.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 7/11/2022 at 9:26 AM, gyroprotagonist said:

Crowe was awesome as pudgy Zeus.  

He was great, thick Greek accent and all. “You are not invited to the orgy!”

Saw it last night with my son. It was damn great fun. Agreed that it’s not as good as Ragnarock, but still a quality MCU flick, and I enjoyed a break from the Multiverse.  Will see it again when my daughter gets back from camp.

2 hours ago, South Austin said:

Saw it last night with my son. It was damn great fun. Agreed that it’s not as good as Ragnarock, but still a quality MCU flick, and I enjoyed a break from the Multiverse.  Will see it again when my daughter gets back from camp.

in that article i posted, Korg said they shot every Zeus scene with Crowe doing a Greek and then again in a British accent but Crowe kept pushing to use the Greek one.

Edited by gyroprotagonist

4 hours ago, South Austin said:

This sums up my feelings as well. My oldest who just turned 11 has little interest in the other MCU movies but loves all the Spiderman movies and really liked Ragnarok. He said this is was favorite marvel movie and would break out into a fit of giggles about the screaming goats. I'm not gonna fault Marvel for carving out a few movies to be less "serious" to attract a younger audience. 

Edited by Hmbre97
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, South Austin said:

I wanted him to say "Are you not entertained?" so badly...

Agreed on great fun.  They kinda explained to us this would be a light/fun movie plot when it opened by talking about great Thor adventures. 

Edited by utxmike05

20 minutes ago, Hmbre97 said:

This sums up my feelings as well. My oldest who just turned 11 has little interest in the other MCU movies but loves all the Spiderman movies and really liked Ragnarok. He said this is was favorite marvel movie and would break out into a fit of giggles about the screaming goats. I'm not gonna fault Marvel for carving out a few movies to be less "serious" to attract a younger audience. 

Well, they probably scared 1/2 the littler kids to death with Dr. Strange 2 so they knew they'd have to go light on the next one.

On 7/10/2022 at 11:26 PM, Michael Knight said:

My expectations were probably too high but it was enjoyable if not top tier marvel. Better than Eternals and 2nd Dr Strange and 2nd best Thor movie

Enjoyable. Not the best Thor of the 4. Still a good one 

• Hook 'Em 1

Saw it again and enjoyed it even more on second viewing.  There is some key foreshadowing in the opening scene when the necrosword first called Gorr.  It tells him to seek eternity and get the bifrost to reach it.  Totally missed it the first time through.   It’s no “Immigrant Song”, but the GnR throughout was really well done. 

• Like 1

Finally got around to seeing it and I enjoyed it overall. Most of the jokes landed while others didn’t even come close but I thought the comedy was good. I like how they handled Thor and Janes relationship throughout the movie with it kinda being like an action rom-com. It’s definitely not better than Ragnarok but still a nice movie that I’ll probably enjoy watching more than once.

• Hook 'Em 2

Finally saw it. I was entertained. B-, as most everyone said.

I think Taika got way too cute and forced many of the jokes. Seems like he was trying too hard to outdo Ragnarok. 

2nd half of the movie was much better than the first. Maybe because there were fewer forced jokes. 

I saw a headline a few weeks ago about the new Marvel movies and shows in general. It basically said we've had a shitton of new content and all it seems aimless. I understand it took 20ish movies to reach Avengers Endgame. I'm not sure audiences are wiling to wade through another 15ish movies and however many streaming shows to reach the another climax. I am a HUGE Marvel fan but I'm starting to lose interest.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

Finally saw it. I was entertained. B-, as most everyone said.

I think Taika got way too cute and forced many of the jokes. Seems like he was trying too hard to outdo Ragnarok. 

2nd half of the movie was much better than the first. Maybe because there were fewer forced jokes. 

I saw a headline a few weeks ago about the new Marvel movies and shows in general. It basically said we've had a shitton of new content and all it seems aimless. I understand it took 20ish movies to reach Avengers Endgame. I'm not sure audiences are wiling to wade through another 15ish movies and however many streaming shows to reach the another climax. I am a HUGE Marvel fan but I'm starting to lose interest.

That is def a legit criticism of Phase 4, it's a bit "aimless" until it starts connecting things together towards an Endgame/IW type big bad.  But it's also introducing a lot of new characters with origin stories.  It's going to get those criticisms until it hits an Avengers-type movie.  

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Js1 said:

That is def a legit criticism of Phase 4, it's a bit "aimless" until it starts connecting things together towards an Endgame/IW type big bad.  But it's also introducing a lot of new characters with origin stories.  It's going to get those criticisms until it hits an Avengers-type movie.  

A lot of shitty characters. That's the problem. These characters are definitely b team compared to the Avengers (especially with the quality of actors playing them). 

• Hook 'Em 1

Maybe I just expect too much from TW. The whole movie seemed lazy. The way plot was moved or exposition seemed like I was watching The Scooby Doo gang introduce guest appearance by The Harlem Globetrotters.... "Heimdall's son!!! Astrid!!" I couldn't tell if it was intentionally campy or lazy. The more it went on the more it seemed lazy.

I like the Taika Waititi touches... Korg explaining ther birds and the bees... I even like the goats. But this was a real letdown.

A lot of shitty characters. That's the problem. These characters are definitely b team compared to the Avengers (especially with the quality of actors playing them). 

It’s the writing as much as anything. No one knew who the GotG were but then they came along with a great story and became a sensation. Iron Man wasn’t an a-lister outside of comic book nerds and they made a billion dollar franchise out of him with a good story and a good actor.

Go get some more characters and good actors and get back to making fun stories.
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

Phase 4 is just way too out in the weeds with obscure comic book characters and stuff like the multiverse and eternals that get into too a nerdier realm than the mainstream audience might be willing to embrace.   In Star Trek terms, you want to make Wrath of Khan, not the first movie.  They’re getting too close to making actual weird sci fi movies that couldn’t just as easily be a Western or an Indiana Jones movie or any other adventure/hero film.   

When marvel first started these characters were the B team.

“Marvel is so formulaic”

*Phase 4 movies happen*

“OH MY GOD THESE ARE WEIRD WHY ARENT THEY DOING WHAT WORKED BEFORE”

Phase 4 is about moving on from the trauma of the snap and passing the torch to new heroes.  It’s a different tone with different characters. Let it play out 

51 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

I’m not even saying they’re bad.  I’m just saying I don’t expect the audience to be as large for the new direction.  Fatigue sets in after 15 years and hundreds of hours of content, so to some extent they were probably going to see the audience diminish a bit no matter what they did.  And I understand why they thought it would be best to change things up a bit rather than running the same formula into the ground for another 10 years.

But I don’t think Phase 4 is going to be as popular as the height of Marvel.

outside of Guardians and Winter Soldier phase 2 was pretty meh as well

On 7/9/2022 at 12:49 AM, Hermanator said:

Time to scrap all the super hero movies for a decade or so. Beyond played out and needs time to breathe. It's gotten back to "Batman and Robin" mid 90s level bad now. 

Like Star Wars, these kind of movies eventually have to stay true to the theme. There's way too many PG-13 rated movies with wars, fights and a villain with superpowers. Doesn't this all have to turn dark at some point? I waited 40 years for Darth Vader to show me Darth Vader and there's very little of it in the franchise. You can't just keep making kids movies with major conflicts about heroes and villains and not expect adults to get worn out at some point in the process.  At least mix it up with some dark themes while maintaining the PG-13 ratings. Batman franchise since Nolan has done a good job with that. Despite the reviews, I enjoyed the newest installment, The Batman.

(I haven't watched this movie yet. I'm just getting burned out on Marvel and Star Wars giving me the same type movie over and over again. I don't feel the characters are ever truly in any danger. The rare instances where there is any such activity, it happens off screen. And the jokes were great the first few years but this bit seems to have run its course.)

As long as the adults keep showing up with the kids, it will continue. Revenue is the bottom line.

• Like 2

“Marvel is so formulaic”
*Phase 4 movies happen*
“OH MY GOD THESE ARE WEIRD WHY ARENT THEY DOING WHAT WORKED BEFORE”

Phase 4 is about moving on from the trauma of the snap and passing the torch to new heroes.  It’s a different tone with different characters. Let it play out 

Isn’t P4 pretty much over? All that’s left is BP2 and She-Hulk.

15 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

Isn’t P4 pretty much over? All that’s left is BP2 and She-Hulk.

Yes, which seems to be a passing the torch show (She Hulk) a la Hawkeye and then a trauma and passing the torch movie (new BP) - granted not what they expected to happen but fits the theme 

• 1 month later...

What a terrible movie. I don't think any of those jokes hit. The good: some interesting visuals, Christian Bale was great. The bad: pretty everything else. If Natalie Portman can do comedy, she didn't show it in this movie. I usually really like Tessa Thompson (Ragnorak, Annihilation) but she was downright annoying here. The script was embarrassing. Waititi's track record is so strong I have to think this stinker was due to studio meddling.

My wife, who is usually much easier on movies than me, wanted to turn it off 15 minutes in.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Neonmoon said:

I thought it was hilarious. I don’t think the story was that good. Felt messy. The jealous axe bit was great. 

If you didn’t get the story felt intentionally messy and overly dramatic at times because it was not us watching it happen, but it being retold to us by Korg, an unreliable narrator 

• Hook 'Em 1

Awful.

I loved Ragnarok, but I could see where @Huckleberry was coming from that it leaned too hard into comedy, undercutting the few serious moments. This one was just one bad, ill-timed joke after another.

Reminds me of Batman Forever. Everyone told Joel Schumacher, "Okay Joel, that was a pretty fun, entertaining movie, but you're pushing the limits of campiness. Maybe dial it back next time." And then he said, "Hold my beer," and made Batman and Robin.

2 hours ago, utee94 said:

Dang, negging on a movie thread.  That's hardcore.

Penelope's right though.  You can think whatever you like about the movie, but dissing Guns N Roses is a shitty, shitty take.  You're a bad person and you should feel bad.

Hair/glam metal was the shame of the 80's and will always suck ou cock.

You love stripper music. Congrats.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, rage-a-holic said:

Nothing wrong with strippers unless you marry one.  Never do that.

80s music including glam metal is fantastic and always will be.  You are wrong, your opinion is wrong, and you should feel shame.

In short:

Jim Brockmire GIFs | Tenor

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

51 minutes ago, rage-a-holic said:

I think this belongs in the terrible opinions thread.  Hating Appetite for Destruction, which is the album most of those songs come from, is just stupid.

English Rage GIF

• Hook 'Em 3