Sid Meier’s Civilization

Celery Man

• 1 month later...

Cross posting from Switch thread:

Anyone have Civilization for the Switch?  We have an old version, Revolutions, for the PS3 my 9 year old son loves to play.  He wants to play head to head or partner with me in the game and we have two switches.  I know v6 is much more complex than the version we currently have.

Thoughts/comments on:

• Suitability for 9 year old.  Can you chose a simple mode that does not overwhelm him with choices as he learns it?
  • Multiplayer cooperative or competitive
  • Overall game play/value. 
  • Price dropped significantly recently.  I think they are getting ready to announce a new version.  For us I think getting 2 copies of the old version might be better.

I have it on switch, and the switch really struggles to play it on any map larger than six player.

The base game only ran ok on switch, the expansions really tax it. Late game the turns can take a long time to roll over.

The console port of the game in general is also pretty buggy. I also bought it on Xbox Series X, and while turns breeze by quickly it starts crashing a lot. It crashes so much that I gave up on the console version entirely and play exclusively on PC now.

Unless it's massively on sale I don't think the console port is worth it.

• 2 months later...
On 4/18/2022 at 8:00 PM, ztejas said:

I don't think there is one. I was going to start one at one point. 

I played 6 for a bit but like 5 better. 6 just felt too bloated to me. Felt like there was too much shit to keep track of every turn. 

I've been playing Civ 6 now for about a month and I agree. I feel like 5 was the best balance between depth and simplicity of the entire series, a significant upgrade from the complexity of Civ 4. Now it feels like they went overboard again. 

I will say that I love the diplomatic options, which is the branch of gameplay that I think I have the best handle on at this point. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/19/2022 at 10:42 AM, UT_OB1 said:

Civ 6 is on steam for $6. Do I grab this or wait for a bundle with the expansions?

Grab it. They just dropped a new mini-season pass today, which will add some new civs through next year. If you enjoy it, all the DLCs except the new one will have some great discounts.

I enjoying rolling over opposing musketeers and rifle men with my tanks after jumping to a science advantage. Last game I was awarded a random advanced tech and got access to AT crew before anyone had built muskets. Was able to buy a few with faith and pounded away. 

Rushing horse archers with the civ that gets 2 cavalry units can also be satisfying but I sometimes struggle to pull that off. 

i still haven’t figured out the new government tree and what is most effective 

Edited by UT_OB1

The primary thing about the civic tree is the government tiers and policy cards. Secondary to that is unlocking wonders.

Depending on what you are doing at any given time there is usually a policy card you should be targeting that makes things snowball more. If you need loyalty there are cards for that. Every district has a double adjacency card for it, to boost whichever yield you need. If you need to build certain troop types faster there is a card for that.

You have to learn all those policy cards and what is good in which situations to compete at the higher difficulty settings.

A thing I've never been sure about and could probably look up but we're on the subject here - "100% Harbor Adjacency Bonus" (or campus, industrial, etc) - this refers to a bonus that tiles adjacent to a district get in whatever they are producing? So, if I had a university next to a commercial hub and played a card to get a commercial zone bonus, would that boost the science output of the university?

28 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

A thing I've never been sure about and could probably look up but we're on the subject here - "100% Harbor Adjacency Bonus" (or campus, industrial, etc) - this refers to a bonus that tiles adjacent to a district get in whatever they are producing? So, if I had a university next to a commercial hub and played a card to get a commercial zone bonus, would that boost the science output of the university?

It's the bonuses that the named district gets. So if you have selected the +100% campus adjacency bonus card then instead of +1 science from the mountain next to it the campus gets +2 science from the mountain. 

Edited by Huckleberry

If I understand, it’s mostly about city growth and production (so, get some builders in there for improvements or to chop wood) and policy cards. It does seem like everything takes forever with a new city.

loyalty is the mechanic in civ vi (maybe in an expansion) that really fucks things up. I’m playing as England doing naval based domination and it’s tough when you’re nibbling around the edges of a continent and can’t quite get the loyalty foothold even with governor/troop loyalty.

I haven't touched civ 6 in awhile. Didn't like all of the random shit going on every turn between all the trees and the districts. 

When I was last playing I was playing vox populi on civ 5 and trying to find a difficulty and handicap that made it challenging enough without me losing every game after x amount of turns. 

I always play civ a ton then get burnt out and go months without touching it. 

One thing that’s fun about districts - if a neighbor is punking you in science, pop a quick war on them and pillage the shit out of their campuses. Pillage their holy sites while you’re there. It also weakens the city center when you pillage the districts.

i wish the game had smarter AI against domination. Both in global tactics (hey guys I’m clearly taking over the world, be a bit more aggressive in partnering to stop me, maybe toss a nuke) and in micro tactics. I thought I was in trouble with China signing on to a military aid deal with Hungary, who I was conquering on the other side of the globe. China had better land troops and had bombards, but they just marched right through a kill zone until they were at 0 militarily and I had my shit together to start taking their cities.

I got civ 6 on switch in early November right before I caught the Flu so I binged it.  The port to switch has some strange things when you use a TV as your display. 

I was coming from Revolutions which only has about 1/3 the complexity.  I hated the World Congress at first but getting the hang of it.

I wanted to try a sea domination path with the Vikings and then the Dutch but I need to change the map because the default has all the other civ afraid to set a city on the coast.  I am getting the hang of playing the Dutch (everyone hates the Dutch)

The thing with diplomacy in this game is you have to play nice until you're ready to completely take a civ out.  

My favorite part is trying to figure out how to layout my first 3 cities for best adjacency bonuses and growth.  If you get that part victory is a fait accompli. If I get to where it is obvious I will win domination I will quit and start a new game.  I love planning double bonuses from Wonders by having two cities able to get the bonus from the wonders. 

I have won a religious victory after getting killed by it for not paying attention to it at first.  If you have the Saladin or Gandhi in the game you have to watch out.  Get to the Apostles early enough so you can kill the missionaries.  If I get the right starting position I might go for Economic. Culture seems unattainable.

I have not faced every leader yet.

Edited by TexasEd

love it when you get the opportunity for some free early game cities. Fuck you Pedro.

1218466097_Screenshot2022-12-12at3_51_30PM.thumb.png.fa8b499cfc755f8c1b38655563193f1d.png

also, I had to reinstall my game and now I'm getting these annoying black lines in the fog of war - I'm sure there's a setting I can find that'll help but I haven't found the right one yet and haven't found the solution through google. If anyone knows the thing to slide, would appreciate it

• Hook 'Em 1

On 12/2/2022 at 10:35 AM, Celery Man said:

One thing that’s fun about districts - if a neighbor is punking you in science, pop a quick war on them and pillage the shit out of their campuses. Pillage their holy sites while you’re there. It also weakens the city center when you pillage the districts.

i wish the game had smarter AI against domination. Both in global tactics (hey guys I’m clearly taking over the world, be a bit more aggressive in partnering to stop me, maybe toss a nuke) and in micro tactics. I thought I was in trouble with China signing on to a military aid deal with Hungary, who I was conquering on the other side of the globe. China had better land troops and had bombards, but they just marched right through a kill zone until they were at 0 militarily and I had my shit together to start taking their cities.

re: AI. I tend to up the number of civs - like play with 14 on a small map (no city states) and this can be a freaking challenge. AI can wipe you out if you don't have walls.

Once you get walls the AI never hits you with everything they got. They are always scattered, slow and just ineffective. That part I wish they could better bake into the AI gameplay. I feel like they do random war declarations but don't account for much, other than maybe my number of units. Maybe take that back 15 turns, make that decision for the AI, then have them build up their military over those 15 turns. I am oversimplifying this, but you get the point. The AI never really attacks you, they just randomly send shit at you and its way too easy to defend. 

oh that's an interesting idea to create a super crowded game. The way that the game difficulty settings work (AI doesn't get smarter, they just start with more settlers and bonuses to their units/culture/science) is not super satisfying when you're trying a harder level and just get creamed by a super strong AI in the first few rounds. Or start getting pounded by barbarians that already have knights and shit when you're trying to get your first slinger out the gate. Having more opponents rather than more stacked opponents could add some of the difficulty in without making it feel so unfair.

A thing I.... think I've learned? Is that barbs have access to whatever units the other players on the map have access to? In the game above it's interesting to start getting pestered by some barbs with horse archers, and thus understand that Tomyris is somewhere else on the map.

Still waiting for the domination game when the science civ I'm trying to conquer blasts me with a nuke.

One incredibly stupid "oh" moment I had a year or so ago was.... being an asshole civ, nuking your enemies, and assuming that you needed to get a unit close enough to see the target before your could launch your nuke. Which of course would inevitably destroy that unit. I kept sending out sacrifice scouts or great people to scope out the location (that's another trick it took me way too long to realize - using great people as weak but invincible scouts).

• Hook 'Em 1

No, you only get the freshwater housing from rivers. There is no bonus to settling the same river twice. 

As far as settling turn, turn 1 is obviously the best, turn two is acceptable for a better location, turn 3 is OK in very rare instances, and anything beyond that will set you behind too far. 

• 3 weeks later...
22 hours ago, ATXhorn17 said:

Just bought civ 6 after playing civ 5 for quite some time… It seems a lot more complex (and boring) thus far. Maybe it’ll just take some time to get used to the switch.

Never mind. Silly me — I can see how my life will slowly be consumed by Civ 6.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
https://www.polygon.com/23604146/civilization-7-release-date-firaxis-games-announcement
Civilization 7 is already in development, Firaxis says
News comes alongside change in command at Firaxis Games
By Owen S. Good  Feb 17, 2023, 10:35am EST  11 Comments / 11 New
I thought this was a brand new article but it looks like the one from Feb, surprised we didn't already post it.

I'm curious what big changes they will focus on.

One of the lead developers had a currency mod brought to their attention a couple months ago with people asking to implement it as a financial victory endgame.

I believe the basis of the mod is, or works similar to how religion does and your win condition is to get 66% of the world using your currency.

I know, I'm light on details.

I don't know that my wish list ever changes a whole lot, but I would love to see a truly multi thread game so those late game turns are still fast.
It could also help with larger maps. I don't think I ever attempted a game on anything larger than Standard size for civ 6 because every turn took forever after a while.

I would love to see a combined arms approach to armies rather than multiple of the same kind.
For example, if I add an archer and spearman as an army then they would have ranged attack but also retain a good defensive bonus, especially against cavalry.

I'm excited to see what they come up with. I think Civ 6 was infinitely more enjoyable out of the gate than Civ 5 was. Civ 5 got there, but it took two expansions.
I prefer the art style of Civ 5, the stylized, almost cartoony style of Civ 6 never grabbed me.
I think the gameplay of Civ 6 was better, of course I say that but the meta was always chop down every tree for the early game production bonus.

Eh, not really. Even on highest difficulty the AI doesn't really coordinate to stop you. The best they do is stop trading with you and stop renewing alliances when you get close to a victory.

Mostly the difficulty slider changed the AI's head start and bonus multipliers on yields.

It doesn't improve their logic at all 

1 minute ago, Celery Man said:

Yeah that’s not how the difficulty slider works at all. I want a challenge in late game domination victory, not a buttfucking while I’m trying to produce my first scout.

Lol, no kidding. And the fact that the AI can get something like 40% gold gen, double sci gen, 2 extra settlers, 4 extra warriors, and actually gets to start 1-2 builders and can still be beat is just a testament to how fucking colossally bad they AI is. I don’t understand how it is that bad unless someone tried to make it bad.  I too want a challenging opponent that is fair. 

I was last playing vox populi where the AI is better so I could be misremembering some vanilla games.

That said - at higher difficulties the AI will declare war more often because they typically have advantages until late to very late game that they wouldn't on lower difficulties. 

I get the frustration going between difficulty settings - I'd recommend vox populi. On vanilla emperor is too easy for me and immortal is a slog. On VP it's easier to tweak stuff a bit to find some in-between difficulty settings.